OB death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You mean the jobs everywhere with signing bonuses line?
That is fine, but you will have to move with your entier family to another location because the L and D nurse doesnt like your attitude at 2 am. They are very sensitive to that ****.. Its a social thing you have to be on you rbest behavior and cant tell a parturient she is being UNREASONABLE

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except in many places, when you try to go in early and talk to the patient about an epidural, OB nurses won’t allow you, or will give you the worst “stank eye” ever for trying to push them into an epidural they don’t want. Only to call you a few hours later, almost always at 1 AM, because now she’s an agonizing pain and wants to push 7 cm.
I hate OB.
I had the same discussion with my cousin one time while she was pregnant, and she acted like it was her right to demand an epidural at any time. Even if she had declined it when offered prior.
Did I say how much I hate OB already?
Same experience re: nurses and timing of the epidural - so dumb... yet mistakes repeated over and over and over
im sure its like that in most hospitals
but as a resident we covered OB every night on call. they would always let us talk to the mother as soon as she got into the room, get consent for when the time came . it made things much easier and the idea of early epidural was embraced. i usually try to sell the epidural by touting the advantages of having it already in place in the event of a CS - most usually buy that

Reactions: 1 users
Seriously, are there anesthesiology deparments/employers who are dumb enough to believe the ob nurses complaints and/or take them serioulsy?
your chairman is going to hear about it when they dont want you assigned to OB anymore or minimally

Same experience re: nurses and timing of the epidural - so dumb... yet mistakes repeated over and over and over
but as a resident we covered OB every night on call. they would always let us talk to the mother as soon as she got into the room, get consent for when the time came . it made things much easier and the idea of early epidural was embraced. i usually try to sell the epidural by touting the advantages of having it already in place in the event of a CS - most usually buy that
Can I ask a question about your last selling point? How often do you bolus up the epidural for a section? And do your patients ever feel like they had the bait and switch when you pull it for a spinal?

I used to think bolused epidurals were amazing with the right patient and OB. But after a few conversions to general that were total **** shows I’m wondering if I’ll ever do it after residency

Can I ask a question about your last selling point? How often do you bolus up the epidural for a section? And do your patients ever feel like they had the bait and switch when you pull it for a spinal?

I used to think bolused epidurals were amazing with the right patient and OB. But after a few conversions to general that were total **** shows I’m wondering if I’ll ever do it after residency
I very infrequently had this happen with an epidural. Can usually tell if the epidural was questionable, in that case I would pull it.

Reactions: 2 users
An attending had told me to never try and sell a procedure. If they are hesitant about a block, spinal, epidural and there really is no big medical reason, don't ever sell it.

Reactions: 13 users
An attending had told me to never try and sell a procedure. If they are hesitant about a block, spinal, epidural and there really is no big medical reason, don't ever sell it.
I dont think you will have problems selling an epidural on L and D. It sells itself.

It is always these people that have an issue. Last time I had a patient who wanted general and the surgeon was like nah we usually do spinal for these. Spent fifteen minutes, couldn't get the damn csf to come out and had to place an lma anyway. Christ.

Sounds like a blessing to me

Also don't have a chairman. Only partners.
? there is no chairman? even with partnership there is a hospital heirarchy . you are young in your career, it wont be a long one if you are constantly picking battles with nurses.. personally i like OB and would find it insulting to be banned from OB

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
in general i agree, but you are talking about using your expertise to lead people in the right direction on a subject they may not be correctly informed about. you want to be in control of the timing. dont leave it up to the nurses. do whatever it takes to do whats right for the patient...

There are other ways to provide pain relief during childbirth. An epidural is a purely elective procedure. I seriously doubt this will ever get litigated the way you've described.
until people starting saying epidural during child birth is a human right. not so elective anymore if they want it!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ive very rarely had to pull a labor epidural and do a spinal for a section..

i know people do that but i think that comes from bad assessment of if the epidural is working in the first place/ bad placement technique

ive seen that more with CRNAs up on OB who dont understand when a catheter isnt working from the get go.

A working catheter for labor is going to work when i bolus 2% lido

how many times have i had to crash a section with a laboring epidural, and i use the epidural catheter uneventfully? MANY how many would have been a disaster without it in place? whos to say

Reactions: 3 users
ive very rarely had to pull a labor epidural and do a spinal for a section..

i know people do that but i think that comes from bad assessment of if the epidural is working in the first place/ bad placement technique

ive seen that more with CRNAs up on OB who dont understand when a catheter isnt working from the get go.

A working catheter for labor is going to work when i bolus 2% lido

how many times have i had to crash a section with a laboring epidural, and i use the epidural catheter uneventfully? MANY how many would have been a disaster without it in place? whos to say

thats a slightly different issue. bc we c section way too much in this country

thats a slightly different issue. bc we c section way too much in this country

That's a function of the unreasonably litigious climate we have in this country. CTG has poor specificity and is overall not very reliable. Usually when a CTG shows a "non-reassuring tracing" chances are the baby is actually not in distress. But if the OBs hesitate to convert and the 10% chance the baby is not fine comes to fruition, they will pay out the ass in a lawsuit. So a grossly disproportionate number of "non-reassuring" CTGs go to section even though the majority of them are completely fine because there is too much medico-legal risk to take any chances. A publication by the WHO supported by robust evidence in the literature demonstrated that c-section rates above 10-15% are unnecessary and do NOT improve fetal or maternal outcomes whatsoever. Yet I know our hospital, along with many other hospitals in the US, remain consistently >30% conversion to c-section.

That's a function of the unreasonably litigious climate we have in this country. CTG has poor specificity and is overall not very reliable. Usually when a CTG shows a "non-reassuring tracing" chances are the baby is actually not in distress. But if the OBs hesitate to convert and the 10% chance the baby is not fine comes to fruition, they will pay out the ass in a lawsuit. So a grossly disproportionate number of "non-reassuring" CTGs go to section even though the majority of them are completely fine because there is too much medico-legal risk to take any chances. A publication by the WHO supported by robust evidence in the literature demonstrated that c-section rates above 10-15% are unnecessary and do NOT improve fetal or maternal outcomes whatsoever. Yet I know our hospital, along with many other hospitals in the US, remain consistently >30% conversion to c-section.
Last I checked this is the anesthesia forum. If the OB says we need to section, then we need to section. I’m certainly not going to throw my 2 cents in.....

Reactions: 5 users
Last I checked this is the anesthesia forum. If the OB says we need to section, then we need to section. I’m certainly not going to throw my 2 cents in.....

Not saying you should. But last I checked, there is an obvious difference between deferring to an obstetrician's expertise on an individual case level, and being able to assess the socioeconomic reasons and statistical evidence behind sky rocketing c-section rates at an epidemiological level on an internet forum for a common procedure that we are an integral part of and hold a large stake in.

? there is no chairman? even with partnership there is a hospital heirarchy . you are young in your career, it wont be a long one if you are constantly picking battles with nurses.. personally i like OB and would find it insulting to be banned from OB
Besides the money, can I ask why you like OB? Honest question.

OB is a place where you can walk in and be a hero. You take someone and are a part of their beautiful moment. They stop you in the supermarket and say thanks, showing off their now 3 year old kid. Your wife tells you her friends thought you were awesome. Quite literally, the only thank you cards I have ever received have been from OB moms, and there are many of those every year.
Somehow that trauma you gave 50+ units of blood to, or heart case you turned around never thought to give you a thanks, or even knew you existed.

It is the most memorable thing we do for people, despite an epidural being super simple. You take a screaming rabid monster, and turn them into a happy mom to be.

Of course, the downside is when it isn’t perfect, and your wife’s friends mutter about you behind her back. Or when you rush back to a prolapsed cord section at 3 am and all they remember is how you were that asshat that wouldn’t let their husband, mother, grandmother and neighbor go back and watch.

On the whole, I also like OB, but my little basket of horrible OB memories isnt full yet. I would actually be reasonably happy there all day for years if I could transplant a brain into every OB nurse.

Reactions: 10 users
OB is a place where you can walk in and be a hero. You take someone and are a part of their beautiful moment. They stop you in the supermarket and say thanks, showing off their now 3 year old kid. Your wife tells you her friends thought you were awesome. Quite literally, the only thank you cards I have ever received have been from OB moms, and there are many of those every year.
Somehow that trauma you gave 50+ units of blood to, or heart case you turned around never thought to give you a thanks, or even knew you existed.

It is the most memorable thing we do for people, despite an epidural being super simple. You take a screaming rabid monster, and turn them into a happy mom to be.

Of course, the downside is when it isn’t perfect, and your wife’s friends mutter about you behind her back. Or when you rush back to a prolapsed cord section at 3 am and all they remember is how you were that asshat that wouldn’t let their husband, mother, grandmother and neighbor go back and watch.

On the whole, I also like OB, but my little basket of horrible OB memories isnt full yet. I would actually be reasonably happy there all day for years if I could transplant a brain into every OB nurse.

I actually had a trauma patient that was stabbed remember me in pacu when he got taken back a few days later. He kept thanking me. That was in residency though, now all I get are surveys complaining about how the iv hurt or how I didn't respect their privacy enough smh

Sheesh. Never, ever have I ever received a card from an OB patient. Ever. Many of these women are very entitled and think it’s their “right” to request an epidural whenever they want even when they push you away hours earlier. .
And I don’t care to be the hero at 1 damn AM. Would rather be an asleep loser.
Glad someone likes it.
Then I gotta be in the OR pretending that even the ugly babies are “so adorable.”
Nah, I am out.

• Haha
until people starting saying epidural during child birth is a human right. not so elective anymore if they want it!
The epidural hematoma, persistent paresthesia and pdph is a human right too ..

• Haha
despite an epidural being super simple.
Not all of them are simple.. Many of them are quite tricky. And they get even trickier the crazier the parturient is who wants to not follow directions.
NOt to mention the risk of spinal headache, and you get sucked in (however short) in their little crises) just isnt fun..

Sheesh. Never, ever have I ever received a card from an OB patient. Ever. Many of these women are very entitled and think it’s their “right” to request an epidural whenever they want even when they push you away hours earlier. .
And I don’t care to be the hero at 1 damn AM. Would rather be an asleep loser.
Glad someone likes it.
Then I gotta be in the OR pretending that even the ugly babies are “so adorable.”
Nah, I am out.
Maybe you aren’t smiling enough when you are placing that epidural.

Next thing you are going to tell me is that all your OB patients aren’t there with their husbands lovingly holding their hands, aren’t you?

• Haha
Not all of them are simple.. Many of them are quite tricky. And they get even trickier the crazier the parturient is who wants to not follow directions.
NOt to mention the risk of spinal headache, and you get sucked in (however short) in their little crises) just isnt fun..
Let’s be realistic, once you have done a few hundred or thousand it is pretty rare to have a “tricky” one.

You have me on the crazy drama end though, not much you can do about that. My second one today had the husband and baby daddy taking turns in the room. Husband was there for placement, but daddy was guarding the door.

• Wow
  • Haha
Let’s be realistic, once you have done a few hundred or thousand it is pretty rare to have a “tricky” one.

You have me on the crazy drama end though, not much you can do about that. My second one today had the husband and baby daddy taking turns in the room. Husband was there for placement, but daddy was guarding the door.
I am confused. The husband and the baby daddy are two different persons? Sperm donor or infidelity?

You need more than a few hundred to encounter all of the diff scenarios.... Maybe a thousand.. But Still Im close to that number and I get ones that I struggle with 2- 3x redirect before finding the space and even then while its in a good place I cant believe I was so close to a wet tap and how extremely subtle the loss was... makes you humble for sure.

L&D patients are definitely the only patients who are excited to see us and remember us after the fact. I mean not all of them, and there is occasionally too much drama, and I don't always get along with the nursing staff, etc. But OR patients almost never want to be having surgery and almost never remember much of us at all. L&D patients will potentially remember the day (and you) forever. I have had patients for surgery that remember me putting their epidural in almost 10 years ago.

i like doing epidurals, i like interacting with the mom and OB team, yes they can both drive you nuts, but i think the people who DONT like OB are the ones who arent very personable and just want to keep quiet in the OR behind the drape. I have no problem interacting with mom and explaining what and why I am doing what I am doing, and what I think is best in a given situation. I like the little tricks that make things go smoother, like a neo drip after a spinal.. its just got a lot of anesthesia science and thought process. I managed it in downtown boston for 3 years every time I was on call, which was a lot.. now in my local community these cases are super easy for me and I enjoy them.. but just like many things with our field, its often relegated to CRNAs who are bad at it

i like doing epidurals, i like interacting with the mom and OB team, yes they can both drive you nuts, but i think the people who DONT like OB are the ones who arent very personable and just want to keep quiet in the OR behind the drape. I have no problem interacting with mom and explaining what and why I am doing what I am doing, and what I think is best in a given situation. I like the little tricks that make things go smoother, like a neo drip after a spinal.. its just got a lot of anesthesia science and thought process. I managed it in downtown boston for 3 years every time I was on call, which was a lot.. now in my local community these cases are super easy for me and I enjoy them.. but just like many things with our field, its often relegated to CRNAs who are bad at it
In real life, I am personable. I am just not good at kissing ass in or outside the OR.
Plenty of us hate OB because it keeps us up at night and the nurses and patients can be nightmares.

And yeah, I don’t like them awake either and them constantly asking “are they done yet, are they close?”
Wait... maybe I am not personable at all now.

Reactions: 7 users
I also think it’s a plus that the United States can offer epidurals to most laboring women.

I agree epidurals are not risk free, but in a healthy patient, any serious complication should practically be a never event.
While I agree with this in theory, we all know L&D floor is full of ticking time bombs. 100% health patients can suddenly code for a handful of reasons including some that have nothing to do with performing an elective procedure.

And yeah, I don’t like them awake either and them constantly asking “are they done yet, are they close?”
Wait... maybe I am not personable at all now.
This is just called "Normal Anesthesiologist". 99% of us didn't do this to keep people awake and small talk.

You should never need to pull a working epidural to do a spinal for a c-section. 15-20cc of 2% lidocaine will last a good 2hrs. Even if she starts to " feel" just give 5 more ccs, see where they are in the case progress, and use the other drugs at your disposal (Prop, midaz, etc) Now you mentioned "residency" so I understand things are slower but when you get to "the real world" you dont need to make that part of your practice.

This is all 1000% true. I don't like covering OB but I also feel like I'm pretty good at it. A lot of factors come into play and quite honestly I think it affects a lot of patient outcomes. For the most part, as said above, when you make these patients go from a pain of 15 to a pain of zero, some would consider leaving their husbands at that very moment. Of course not everyone is grateful and those are the moments I really hate it. I also dislike C/S. People shouldn't be awake with laparotomy incisions, but that's just my opinion.

You should never need to pull a working epidural to do a spinal for a c-section. 15-20cc of 2% lidocaine will last a good 2hrs. Even if she starts to " feel" just give 5 more ccs, see where they are in the case progress, and use the other drugs at your disposal (Prop, midaz, etc) Now you mentioned "residency" so I understand things are slower but when you get to "the real world" you dont need to make that part of your practice.

I will never use an indwelling labor epidural for a c-section unless they basically have surgical anesthesia in their labor room or I do not have time to place a spinal. Inferior the vast majority of the time.

• Hmm
  • Dislike
I will never use an indwelling labor epidural for a c-section unless they basically have surgical anesthesia in their labor room or I do not have time to place a spinal. Inferior the vast majority of the time.
Then the epidural placed isn’t working the vast majority of the time.

Working epidurals can get surgical anesthesia with 15-20 cc 2% lidocaine 99% of the time. Pulling an epidural to do a spinal in a “working” catheter is adding an unnecessary procedure. There are institutions I know of that strictly do their elective c-sections with 20 cc 2% epidural lidocaine.

Reactions: 12 users
Then the epidural placed isn’t working the vast majority of the time.

Working epidurals can get surgical anesthesia with 15-20 cc lidocaine 99% of the time. There are institutions I know of that strictly do their elective c-sections with 20 cc 2% epidural lidocaine.
Your first statement is just plain false. Your second paragraph is technically true, but like @Mman above said, it's an inferior block to a proper spinal. Having to use versed and ketamine more frequently than with a spinal to get them through should be evidence of that.

Your first statement is just plain false. Your second paragraph is technically true, but like @Mman above said, it's an inferior block to a proper spinal. Having to use versed and ketamine more frequently than with a spinal to get them through should be evidence of that.
But you just proved my point. An inferior block needing a spinal is a bad block. Plain and simple. I’ve certainly placed spinals in ladies who have said “this block isn’t great” prior to me dosing the epidural only to turn them and see the catheter basically out.
If they arrive somewhat comfortable and need a section for failure to progress or fetal intolerance, people shouldn’t make a habit of pulling catheters to do spinals. They should either place better or better secure their epidurals.

moreover, my problem with the statement was saying “surgical anesthesia” was needed in the labor room. That’s the false statement

that means your epidurals suck. Ive used labor epidurals for C sections by giving 20cc of 2% lidocaine and they always work great.

Reactions: 12 users
This is all 1000% true. I don't like covering OB but I also feel like I'm pretty good at it. A lot of factors come into play and quite honestly I think it affects a lot of patient outcomes. For the most part, as said above, when you make these patients go from a pain of 15 to a pain of zero, some would consider leaving their husbands at that very moment. Of course not everyone is grateful and those are the moments I really hate it. I also dislike C/S. People shouldn't be awake with laparotomy incisions, but that's just my opinion.

lol @ 6 posts in a row