Plastic surgery death. Ob-gyn acting as Anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't know the wild west of healthcare was actually in the south. Scary. Greed.

One of my "favorite" tricks that these places is pull is that they change their clinic name every so often. So that when patients google "New Name Plastic Surgery deaths," they don't find all the terrible incidents that happened at Old Name Plastic Surgery clinic, even though the staff, administrators, owners, and shady practices have not changed.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I used to think Vegas was the Wild West of medicine but maybe Miami has emerged as the new Wild West.

When I worked down there I had a patient come in to our hospital for an emergency ex-lap 2-3 days after a BBL in some guy's office in a strip mall in Miami. She was getting septic in a Holiday Inn afterwards and leaking stool from the punctures in her abdomen. The guy put like 20 holes into her small bowel with the liposuction device. She was in the hospital for like 6 months.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently, a lot.

I'm a PCP in South Florida. We get a ton of "pre-op" requests every year for BBLs that are to be done at these "plastic surgery centers." Strax, which used to employ the plastic surgeon in that article, is one of the most infamous, but there are lots of them. They are all very questionable and sketchy, but that doesn't stop people from flocking there to get cheap lipo/BBLs/fat transfers, etc. A flashy website/Instagram page and a catchy jingle from their radio ads cover up a multitude of sins, in the patient's eyes - not that most of the patients even know what to look for, anyway.

I guarantee that none of those plastic surgery centers are using anesthesiologists or, even, CRNAs at their centers. It is far more likely, from what I have seen and heard from patients who have been there, that the anesthesia is being provided by a "general practitioner" who has never done a residency in the US, but was a surgeon in Cuba/Honduras/Brazil. I can guarantee that some of the surgeries are being provided by such people too.
Yeah. Welcome to Florida. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: 1 users
When I worked down there I had a patient come in to our hospital for an emergency ex-lap 2-3 days after a BBL in some guy's office in a strip mall in Miami. She was getting septic in a Holiday Inn afterwards and leaking stool from the punctures in her abdomen. The guy put like 20 holes into her small bowel with the liposuction device. She was in the hospital for like 6 months.
That sounds less than ideal, but how did her butt look?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
There used to be plenty of small hospitals where OBs did their own epidurals. Showing my age
Yeah - we had one that came to town in south Georgia many years ago that wanted to do his own epidurals. That went well until he called the on-call anesthesiologist to do one on a Medicaid patient he didn't want to mess with because it "wasn't worth his time". We told him we either do them all, or we don't do any. We did them all after that.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah - we had one that came to town in south Georgia many years ago that wanted to do his own epidurals. That went well until he called the on-call anesthesiologist to do one on a Medicaid patient he didn't want to mess with because it "wasn't worth his time". We told him we either do them all, or we don't do any. We did them all after that.

This surgeon sounds like a huge douche

Reactions: 8 users
Apparently, a lot.

I'm a PCP in South Florida. We get a ton of "pre-op" requests every year for BBLs that are to be done at these "plastic surgery centers." Strax, which used to employ the plastic surgeon in that article, is one of the most infamous, but there are lots of them. They are all very questionable and sketchy, but that doesn't stop people from flocking there to get cheap lipo/BBLs/fat transfers, etc. A flashy website/Instagram page and a catchy jingle from their radio ads cover up a multitude of sins, in the patient's eyes - not that most of the patients even know what to look for, anyway.

I guarantee that none of those plastic surgery centers are using anesthesiologists or, even, CRNAs at their centers. It is far more likely, from what I have seen and heard from patients who have been there, that the anesthesia is being provided by a "general practitioner" who has never done a residency in the US, but was a surgeon in Cuba/Honduras/Brazil. I can guarantee that some of the surgeries are being provided by such people too.
I just looked up Strax, one of those guys trained with me and let’s just say this all makes a lot of sense.

The Florida Board of Medicine needs to realize what a big problem these South Florida chop shops are….

Reactions: 3 users
I just looked up Strax, one of those guys trained with me and let’s just say this all makes a lot of sense.

The Florida Board of Medicine needs to realize what a big problem these South Florida chop shops are….
Lol chop shops...I have planned for quite a while to give the OB department a gag gift when I leave...a big butcher's block sign that reads "The Butcher's Block." Was gonna hang it over the OB department entrance.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Lol chop shops...I have planned for quite a while to give the OB department a gag gift when I leave...a big butcher's block sign that reads "The Butcher's Block." Was gonna hang it over the OB department entrance.

I prefer the sign I left in my locker in a job I left: “Abandon all hope ye who enter here”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I love this idea. This makes me think of the sign outside our surgeons lounge by the ORs. Someone took whiteout or paint and put quotations around Surgeon's --->>> "Surgeon's" lounge.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

It’s such a joke.

I had a patient recently who told me that she is getting lipo with fat transfer - NOT a BBL, she clarified, just lipo with fat transfer. To me, this seemed a little bit like splitting hairs, but I’m not a surgeon so what do I know.

I googled her surgeon after she left. He is no longer permitted to do BBLs after two of his patients died from fat embolisms. But he’s not legally barred from doing lipo with fat transfer - I can’t imagine that the risk is significantly lower than for a BBL. And he’s still getting patients, regardless of his easily-searchable history!! It’s nuts. Truly crazy and scary.

• Wow
  • Okay...
It’s such a joke.

I had a patient recently who told me that she is getting lipo with fat transfer - NOT a BBL, she clarified, just lipo with fat transfer. To me, this seemed a little bit like splitting hairs, but I’m not a surgeon so what do I know.

I googled her surgeon after she left. He is no longer permitted to do BBLs after two of his patients died from fat embolisms. But he’s not legally barred from doing lipo with fat transfer - I can’t imagine that the risk is significantly lower than for a BBL. And he’s still getting patients, regardless of his easily-searchable history!! It’s nuts. Truly crazy and scary.
So many times I want to ask patients, "are you sure you want to have this surgery done, and my this surgeon?" Not my place, so I don't. I haven't seen a death though..

So many times I want to ask patients, "are you sure you want to have this surgery done, and my this surgeon?" Not my place, so I don't. I haven't seen a death though..
This also begs the question... When you know you're working with a butcher type surgeon or one that is just really bad, can you hint to pts in a subtle way to reconsider? Patients not in the medical world have no idea what they're getting into when they get an operation. If the doctor presents well and has a nice office but has 2 left hands they won't know until post op the bad times. There has to be a way to protect pts from their unknown

This also begs the question... When you know you're working with a butcher type surgeon or one that is just really bad, can you hint to pts in a subtle way to reconsider? Patients not in the medical world have no idea what they're getting into when they get an operation. If the doctor presents well and has a nice office but has 2 left hands they won't know until post op the bad times. There has to be a way to protect pts from their unknown
I often think about this when for many patients who get spine surgeries exclusively for pain…

Reactions: 5 users
This has happened occasionally in my case in practice (it happened more with a specific surgeon in my residency). I did cancel a case where an elderly patient needed further work up. I'm hoping the patient decides not to proceed with surgery after a . This patient was really old and wasn't having symptoms aka pain.

My theory:

OB GYN flamed out of her specialty, knows there is shortage of anesthesia personnel, took a sedation course or two, got this job (center desperate), prone sedation, airway obstruction, recognized late, unable to manage airway, death.

Reactions: 7 users
My theory:

OB GYN flamed out of her specialty, knows there is shortage of anesthesia personnel, took a sedation course or two, got this job (center desperate), prone sedation, airway obstruction, recognized late, unable to manage airway, death.

"It looks so easy, what could go wrong?"

Patient apneic, turns blue, OBGYN doesn't know how to handle it and ****s her pants

I often think about this when for many patients who get spine surgeries exclusively for pain…
No reason to be subtle about it.. “surgeons operate for a living and will almost always be open to operating on you - have you exhausted non surgical options?”

As a PCP, I have sometimes asked patients this - not bluntly, but in a gentle way. I've asked how they found this surgeon, if they have researched the surgeon's credentials and history, etc.

Many of the patients know what they're getting into. They know that places like Strax and My Plastic Surgery are factories, where patients are churned through at a very high rate of speed - anyone who has physically been there can see that. Almost everyone who has lived in Miami for any length of time knows someone who has had surgery at one of these places, and has had a suboptimal outcome. It's not a secret, to the locals, that these places are horrible, but people go there anyway, even knowing this. They assume that it won't happen to them, or the price is right enough that they're willing to chance it.

Others are just willfully ignorant. The surgeon that I referenced earlier (who has been barred from doing BBLs but is still doing lipo with fat transfer) proudly states on his website that he used to be teaching faculty in the department of surgery at Hopkins. The patient who saw me prior to surgery with him pointed to that fact to indicate that he is skilled and experienced. My medical assistant's reaction was much more logical - "WTF is a guy who was professor of surgery at Hopkins doing HERE, offering cheap lipo in a strip mall in Miami?!?!"

A few things to say having read this thread.....

First of all
DCF740E3-6FFD-4688-920D-2EE2D19BA784.jpeg

I mean don't even let the sun set over Tampa Bay. I know some of my more libertarian colleagues will hate this statement, but we need more regulation of some of these sham clinics that seem to pop up all over the place. I can't walk into a hospital and give a single cc of propofol with the hospital digging into my background and possibly doing a cavity exam, and probably rightfully so (and if she's cute "take your time" ). I just can't believe how many people out there with restricted/revoked licenses are out there doing things and we catch no wind until someone dies. Yes, Im a bit naive again, maybe it's because when I want to work somewhere it's "CV and cavity search....and we still may not credential you) I think what I'm saying is some board of something needs to be harder on these off site clinics etc.

This may start some stuff on here, but regarding "warning patients about dangerous surgeons".....maybe? I just say this because it's a slippery slope because I can assure you most of use would throw a fit if we found out surgeon/proceduralist was recommending patients to "choose anther anesthesiologist" Now I know there are ways that even surgeons actually do this and I don't like it because quite frankly I think it's a little shady. I believe we've discussed it elsewhere, if a surgeon is that bad then it should be referenced to that departments leadership and let them police their own specialty just like we do with ours most of the time. That's just my 2c

But yeah, that story angers me on multiple levels and I hope they all get what's coming to them

Reactions: 3 users

First of all
View attachment 363884
I mean don't even let the sun set over Tampa Bay. I know some of my more libertarian colleagues will hate this statement, but we need more regulation of some of these sham clinics that seem to pop up all over the place. I can't walk into a hospital and give a single cc of propofol with the hospital digging into my background and possibly doing a cavity exam, and probably rightfully so (and if she's cute "take your time" ). I just can't believe how many people out there with restricted/revoked licenses are out there doing things and we catch no wind until someone dies. Yes, Im a bit naive again, maybe it's because when I want to work somewhere it's "CV and cavity search....and we still may not credential you) I think what I'm saying is some board of something needs to be harder on these off site clinics etc.

This may start some stuff on here, but regarding "warning patients about dangerous surgeons".....maybe? I just say this because it's a slippery slope because I can assure you most of use would throw a fit if we found out surgeon/proceduralist was recommending patients to "choose anther anesthesiologist" Now I know there are ways that even surgeons actually do this and I don't like it because quite frankly I think it's a little shady. I believe we've discussed it elsewhere, if a surgeon is that bad then it should be referenced to that departments leadership and let them police their own specialty just like we do with ours most of the time. That's just my 2c

But yeah, that story angers me on multiple levels and I hope they all get what's coming to them
I get what you’re saying and agree. In an academic or structured setting, that can work (sometimes). However, these folks don’t really have a boss watching over them.
As you said, it will likely take a revamp of the entire “clinic in a strip mall” setting with their medical board. Just like some states put heavier requirements on free standing pain clinics not affiliated with an academic center, the state board could single out these types of chop shops for closer scrutiny.

First of all
View attachment 363884

99% of the anesthesia shenanigans would go away if there was a law requiring an anesthesiologist (or bare minimum, CRNA) for any procedure in any location where the sedation requirement is greater than moderate (i.e. any procedure which generally requires a bit more than the usual versed and fentanyl).

And 99% of the plastic surgery shenanigans would go away if surgeons were required to be BC/BE in plastics or another closely related specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
It’s such a joke.

I would maybe let the Board know about that, especially if this “fat transfer” is going into her derrière.

These people are insane. If I killed a patient during a cosmetic procedure I’m pretty sure I would never do that operation again. If it happened a second time I’m honestly not sure that I would continue being a surgeon. But these “cosmetic” surgeons with multiple deaths keep trying to find loopholes to allow them to keep operating.

First of all
View attachment 363884

These surgeons aren’t working at reputable hospitals. They are working for shady strip mall clinics where every corner gets cut, and in South Florida they are competing with cheap Caribbean plastic surgery practices so their margins are thin. The Florida BOM is slowly starting to crack down on some of the more egregious practices but it’s a drop in the bucket of what needs to happen.

And if I worked with an anesthesiologist who practiced at the level these guys do, I absolutely would be steering patients away from them.

These surgeons aren’t working at reputable hospitals. They are working for shady strip mall clinics where every corner gets cut, and in South Florida they are competing with cheap Caribbean plastic surgery practices so their margins are thin. The Florida BOM is slowly starting to crack down on some of the more egregious practices but it’s a drop in the bucket of what needs to happen.

And if I worked with an anesthesiologist who practiced at the level these guys do, I absolutely would be steering patients away from them.

The Florida Dept of Health led by Dr. Joseph Ladapo will surely initiate a crackdown and clean house! I heard he’s all business.

• Haha
The Florida Dept of Health led by Dr. Joseph Ladapo will surely initiate a crackdown and clean house! I heard he’s all business.
No idea who that is but the Florida Medical Board is an abject failure. Overtly corrupt political goons.

No idea who that is but the Florida Medical Board is an abject failure. Overtly corrupt political goons.
Agreed. Wrote a 3 page letter of complaint with several medical literature references. They went through some motions and sent me.a letter no breach of care was discovered. Pretty sad.

Awhile ago I had a back-and-forth with a semi-rural EM doc in another forum trying to get tips on how to provide anesthesia for optho and urology cases at a surgery center. I suggested to them that it wasn’t a good idea and that a lot can go wrong, hence the whole anesthesiologists providing anesthesia thing. But they claimed it was “within their scope of practice” and remained determined to do this as an “easy side gig” because it’s “just sedation”.

It’s all a side effect of us making it look easy I guess.
Visiting from EM - about a month ago ortho had to wait half an hour for me to do sedation for a messy wrist because we are single covered … the ortho resident was prattling on how he doesn’t see why they can’t just give propofol on their own .. i think sedation is one of the hardest things EPs do despite training and I am thankful every time it goes smoothly. I could see him in 10 years deciding he could just do his own. As you say it’s easy until it’s not easy.

Reactions: 8 users
Visiting from EM - about a month ago ortho had to wait half an hour for me to do sedation for a messy wrist because we are single covered … the ortho resident was prattling on how he doesn’t see why they can’t just give propofol on their own .. i think sedation is one of the hardest things EPs do despite training and I am thankful every time it goes smoothly. I could see him in 10 years deciding he could just do his own. As you say it’s easy until it’s not easy.
Does he also wonder why he can’t just give Roc to help reduce a shoulder in the ED?

And yes, doing any sedation in the ED is hard. One of my least favorite things to do because the ORs are just designed much better for it. But at least y’all have plenty of hands on deck who can keep their cool and help with meds and airway emergencies. Office procedures there are usually only medical assistants.

You should have laughed in the face.

Running a sedation case is like taking responsibility for a drunk person

Also waiting 30 min? That’s nothing. Dude needs to calm down.