OB death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
would've need 10+ mg of midaz which isn't exactly the best for the baby
A couple of mine legitimately desaturated when supine.

Also, after learning the how, take it from your elder: you can’t unhear/unsee the techniques.

I'm sure this topic is discussed elsewhere on the forum but since this is an OB thread I thought I'd bring it up.

Platelet count.

Do you have a "too low" cutoff? I know there's literature/recommendations which more or less say "We're not saying you 'shouldn't' do an epidural/spinal if low but we're also not saying there's a cutoff.....which in my book is near useless.

I understand why cutoffs are problematic but at this point I want a sense of what the community is doing.

I'm sure this topic is discussed elsewhere on the forum but since this is an OB thread I thought I'd bring it up.

Platelet count.

Do you have a "too low" cutoff? I know there's literature/recommendations which more or less say "We're not saying you 'shouldn't' do an epidural/spinal if low but we're also not saying there's a cutoff.....which in my book is near useless.

I understand why cutoffs are problematic but at this point I want a sense of what the community is doing.
If it's stable? Personally, not really. But I'm not sure if my group would have my back at anything less than 75k, so that's my current line in the sand.

Reactions: 1 users

Platelet count.

Absent a bleeding history or zebras or bad things like HELLP, acute fatty liver of pregnancy, DIC, TTP, ITP, etc ... a platelet count in the 50-100K range is probably benign gestational thrombocytopenia and neuraxial is fine. Of course the catch is your confidence in your diagnosis, and I've yet to meet a dual trained hematologist anesthesiologist.

To actually answer your cutoff question with my own numbers -

I'd transfuse platelets below these thresholds
- 20K platelets for a vaginal delivery
- 50K for a section under GA
- 75K for a section under regional

I would never transfuse platelets for elective labor analgesia. I wouldn't go below 75K for an epidural. I might say no below 100K if the patient looked off or difficult. I might opt for a single shot labor spinal in a multip whose delivery was assuredly soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Some interesting responses. We at least once a month or two get a patient with a platelet count like 1k below our established “cutoff” and the sob story begins and we circle the department asking who would do what

Reactions: 1 users
75k for epidural, 50k for spinal (24-25g needle). If etiology is preeclampsia, that platelet count has to be within the past 4 hours.

50k for spinal (24-25g needle)

for the sake of conversation, if you could not get it with a 24 or 25 g needle do you just go to GA then instead of trying a 22? How many needle passes are you willing to make?

To me the biggest difference between an epidural and a spinal isn't necessarily the gauge of the needle, it's that the epidural is going to leave a catheter behind that has to be removed at some point.

Well yeah because the 22g needle I use is a cutting needle and causes a lot more trauma. Not to mention at the point when its difficult I'm usually bending it at acute angle to sneak past osteophytes or processes. The catheter staying there is ok. I've transfused platelets for removal of a catheter in the HELLP patient who's count was sluggish to recover.

Well yeah because the 22g needle I use is a cutting needle and causes a lot more trauma. Not to mention at the point when its difficult I'm usually bending it at acute angle to sneak past osteophytes or processes. The catheter staying there is ok. I've transfused platelets for removal of a catheter in the HELLP patient who's count was sluggish to recover.

what is the difference in trauma to an epidural vein from say a cutting needle vs a pencil point needle? It's a vein, it breaks open easily from any sort of needle.

If you use enough 22g spinal needle you will see a higher incidence of some blood in the needle. Needle is bigger and the sides are sharp. I know it sounds stupid but I think it makes a difference.

Used to do most OB spinals with a 27 G W needle. Sometimes would switch to 25 G if we encountered difficulty. Would never go for a 22G.