NYU College of Dentistry Class of 2028 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Any new invites/dates for candidate day? I'm still waiting to hear back... losing hope!

Members don't see this ad.

I also just got an invite to candidate day! I am confused how to sign up because I don't see anywhere in the portal to do that. If this happened to anyone else how did you fix it😅

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also just got an invite to candidate day! I am confused how to sign up because I don't see anywhere in the portal to do that. If this happened to anyone else how did you fix it😅
You need to wait an hour for the system to update

Candidate Day
School: NYU
Notification date: 10/12/2023
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-out date: 05/31/2023
Application complete: 06/26/2023
GPA (overall, science): 3.48, 3.42
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/23/21/none

Candidate Day
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/30/2023
Application complete: 08/28/2023
GPA (overall, science): 3.72, 3.5
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/26/23/24/none

Last edited:
Candidate Day
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/24/2023
Application complete: 9/19/2023
GPA (overall, science): 4.0, 4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/24/20/22/none

For those who already attended, how should one prepare for the event? Is anyone 'casually' interviewing the candidates?

For those who already attended, how should one prepare for the event? Is anyone 'casually' interviewing the candidates?
We had a 10:1 student to faculty lunch where we were asked questions that were mainly just about your current life…maybe to make sure you can hold a convo.

Reactions: 5 users
are candidate day dates selected for you or do you select them? and what is the time range you’re given between the invite and actual candidate day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Candidate Day / Interview #5
Notification date: 10/16
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/16
Application complete date: 6/22
GPA (science, overall): sGPA: 3.75 Overall: 3.74
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22 AA, 23TS, 23PAT, No
Method of interview: In-Person
182 shadowing hours, 202 volunteer hours, Committee letter

anyone have intel on student candidate day?
After attending, I can say that for some, the lunch with faculty was a full-fledged group interview with interview style questions being asked the whole time. For others attending the same day in different groups, it was much more laid back and conversational. I think they made it pretty clear once there that getting invited to candidate day wasn't a soft acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
After attending, I can say that for some, the lunch with faculty was a full-fledged group interview with interview style questions being asked the whole time. For others attending the same day in different groups, it was much more laid back and conversational. I think they made it pretty clear once there that getting invited to candidate day wasn't a soft acceptance.
I was lucky to have a very laid-back and conversational!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many candidate days have been held so far?

Hopefully this sheds some light:
"The final step of the DDS admissions process will be to attend one Candidate Day event. If selected to attend Candidate Day, an invitation will be emailed directly to you. Candidate Day is an opportunity to learn more about the NYU Dentistry Difference, take a guided tour of campus led by a current DDS student, have lunch with a faculty member, and hear from current students about their experience in the program. Our review process is holistic and takes some time to complete. We do not review applications in the order in which they are received."
- From the NYU portal
So no other interview, but you still need to attend as you will be judged holistically (i.e., including how you interact with faculty at Candidate Day).
What does mean "Holistic process"?

Hey guys, how should you dress and what should you bring with you when you go to the Candidate day?

Hey guys, how should you dress and what should you bring with you when you go to the Candidate day?
Business professional. You don’t need to bring anything but a notebook might be helpful

Still waiting on an invite to Candidate Day. I submitted July 26th and got the invite to complete Kira on July 28th. Submitted Kira/completed my app August 6th :*(

What does mean "Holistic process"?
Holistic process means they look at your entire application and not just your grades/DAT score. If they didn’t do this, they’d just admit the highest scores. But this doesn’t produce a well rounded class, so a holistic process gives schools a more well rounded class with individuals who have all kinds of experiences.

Does anyone know if a 12/8 candidate day would still give me a high chance at a 12/15 decision? Or should I take the earlier 11/20 date? so much cheaper on 12/8 :(

Does anyone know if a 12/8 candidate day would still give me a high chance at a 12/15 decision? Or should I take the earlier 11/20 date? so much cheaper on 12/8 :(
idk about high chance, and honestly it will depend on when the admissions committee meets and the chances of them meeting before then are possibly slim. or maybe not. In all honesty, if this is a school you would certainly attend, I would pick the sooner date. But if you have other options available, I'd take the 12/8 day. It really depends on how much you care about NYU. AND, chances of admission after are probably decent, you just won't hear back until later in december/january after those on 12/15 acceptances decline their seats.

Does NYU say you must attend their candidate day before 12/15 to be considered for admission on 12/15?

Just got an invitation to candidate day but I'm not sure if I should accept it ... I feel like I have only heard bad things about NYU :( Any input? (I have heard that students aren't happy there, massive class size sucks, and price is nuts).

Just got an invitation to candidate day but I'm not sure if I should accept it ... I feel like I have only heard bad things about NYU :( Any input? (I have heard that students aren't happy there, massive class size sucks, and price is nuts).
with your stats, and having other interviews, i would skip it as long as you feel relatively confident about your other interviews...

Interview/Candidate Day: #1
Notification date: 11/1/2023
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/11/2023
Application complete: 7/25/2023
GPA (overall, science): 3.3, 3.2
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/20/22/none

let's gooo

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Interview #3
Notification date: 11/2/2023
AADSAS mail-out date: 05/10/2023
Application complete: 08/21/2023
GPA (overall, science): 4.0,4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/21/22/27/none
Method of Interview: candidate day

You said pretty much the same thing over and over. You're telling me I SHOULD apply to NYU Dentistry, right?

All that said, rather than just vomiting words here on SDM, can you give us specific examples so people in the future can read this and decide if they want to apply to NYU Dentistry for themselves?

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #1
Notification date:
11/2
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-out date: 09/19
Application complete date: 09/30
GPA (science, overall): sGPA: 3.78; Overall: 3.72
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21AA/21TS/19PAT/20RC/ No
Method of interview (Candidate Day): In-Person

Whoever provided updates, do you email the school or upload it directly to your portal?

Hi- can someone who had their NYU candidate day share what questions were asked during the group interview? About how many questions were asked and how many people from the staff/admissions were there asking these questions?

Hi- can someone who had their NYU candidate day share what questions were asked during the group interview? About how many questions were asked and how many people from the staff/admissions were there asking these questions?
I haven't had an interview with NYU, but I'm fairly confident they can't disclose the exact kind of questions they were asked. However, a general idea of what kinds of questions or an overall feeling/vibe of the interview process could be described

I haven’t heard back anything about the candidate day and I feel panic now. Is that mean I’m losing hope😭

got an invitation to Candidate day. Anyone knows what this is? Is this the interview ? Because it never specified it as an interview
can u share how was the candidate day, liek what type of questions they asked?

If you are applying to NYU College of Dentistry or know someone applying to NYU Dentistry, Please Read:

What I am about to say is what happens behind the scenes at NYU College of Dentistry. What I am about to describe is the reality that many students at NYU Dental have to face on a daily basis. Please avoid applying to NYU College of Dentistry!! I know that many predental students are desperate or know someone who is desperate to get into dental school, but NYUCD is not worth the hassle. NYU Dentistry is filled with scandals and controversial policies. The administration is put simply, corrupt. They do not care about students or staff. They only care about making money. They see students as just a number that they can replace at any time. The school is so notorious for trying to dismiss, fail out, or make students repeat the year at all costs. The faculty will not attempt to help students succeed in any way possible. A lot of the faculty treat students there with so much disrespect and lack of regard for well-being. The administration decides on a set number of students to try to repeat the year/dismiss.

The administration plans out ahead of time who to make repeat the year/dismiss. Many of the students there complain about how overwhelmed they feel and admin and higher ups simply turn a blind eye to all these concerns. The faculty and admin talk so much trash about students in front and behind their backs. They laugh, ridicule, and mock students all the time. Admin and faculty make students' lives miserable here. The higher ups purposely put obstacles in students' way to hinder and prevent success. All what NYU Dentistry does is take your money and run away without awarding a DDS or anything. NYUCD is getting worse by the year. The faculty and administration have no respect for students and even staff alike. Faculty and admin are so mean and rude with students; its unbelievable. NYU Dentistry only cares about stealing your tuition dollars to fill their own pockets. Faculty are verbally abusive towards students. They are not on your side as students. NYU Dentistry admin and faculty are known for their unethical practices. They do everything in their power to prolong student's meeting requirements, checking off assignments, and even purposely delaying graduation. They are so bitter towards students.

The school wastes student's time with nonsense rather than trying to properly teach and instruct students. The admin has so much power over students that it is very hard to change things even if the students wanted to. Students here are in constant state of anxiety at NYUCD, whether it would be about passing or failing a practical/exam or meeting clinical requirements. Failing a single exam here could very much prevent a student from fulfilling his or her dream in becoming a dentist. NYU Dental has no problem failing students left and right in order to earn another years worth of tuition. NYU Dental will not hesitate to show any student the exit door after collecting a years worth of tuition or so. Please go through all the negative reviews about NYU Dental on Facebook, SDN, etc. These reviews are very much the truth about what goes on at NYU Dental currently. For those applying this cycle, please find a different dental school. If NYU Dental is your only choice, please reapply next cycle or consider some other career path.
This is my second time posting this: You said pretty much the same thing over and over. You're telling me I SHOULD apply to NYU Dentistry, right?

All that said, rather than just vomiting words here on SDM, can you give us specific examples so people in the future can read this and decide if they want to apply to NYU Dentistry for themselves?

Reactions: 7 users
If you are applying to NYU College of Dentistry or know someone applying to NYU Dentistry, Please Read:

What I am about to say is what happens behind the scenes at NYU College of Dentistry. What I am about to describe is the reality that many students at NYU Dental have to face on a daily basis. Please avoid applying to NYU College of Dentistry!! I know that many predental students are desperate or know someone who is desperate to get into dental school, but NYUCD is not worth the hassle. NYU Dentistry is filled with scandals and controversial policies. The administration is put simply, corrupt. They do not care about students or staff. They only care about making money. They see students as just a number that they can replace at any time. The school is so notorious for trying to dismiss, fail out, or make students repeat the year at all costs. The faculty will not attempt to help students succeed in any way possible. A lot of the faculty treat students there with so much disrespect and lack of regard for well-being. The administration decides on a set number of students to try to repeat the year/dismiss.

The administration plans out ahead of time who to make repeat the year/dismiss. Many of the students there complain about how overwhelmed they feel and admin and higher ups simply turn a blind eye to all these concerns. The faculty and admin talk so much trash about students in front and behind their backs. They laugh, ridicule, and mock students all the time. Admin and faculty make students' lives miserable here. The higher ups purposely put obstacles in students' way to hinder and prevent success. All what NYU Dentistry does is take your money and run away without awarding a DDS or anything. NYUCD is getting worse by the year. The faculty and administration have no respect for students and even staff alike. Faculty and admin are so mean and rude with students; its unbelievable. NYU Dentistry only cares about stealing your tuition dollars to fill their own pockets. Faculty are verbally abusive towards students. They are not on your side as students. NYU Dentistry admin and faculty are known for their unethical practices. They do everything in their power to prolong student's meeting requirements, checking off assignments, and even purposely delaying graduation. They are so bitter towards students.

The school wastes student's time with nonsense rather than trying to properly teach and instruct students. The admin has so much power over students that it is very hard to change things even if the students wanted to. Students here are in constant state of anxiety at NYUCD, whether it would be about passing or failing a practical/exam or meeting clinical requirements. Failing a single exam here could very much prevent a student from fulfilling his or her dream in becoming a dentist. NYU Dental has no problem failing students left and right in order to earn another years worth of tuition. NYU Dental will not hesitate to show any student the exit door after collecting a years worth of tuition or so. Please go through all the negative reviews about NYU Dental on Facebook, SDN, etc. These reviews are very much the truth about what goes on at NYU Dental currently. For those applying this cycle, please find a different dental school. If NYU Dental is your only choice, please reapply next cycle or consider some other career path.
I’m a current D2 at NYUCD and this is absolutely NOT my experience. I do not feel as if I’m in a constant state of anxiety. NYU is not a school that will give you handouts. You will have to work hard to succeed here. They clearly state the remediation/repeating the year policy and there are many good professors here that do care about the students. Yes you will find some that don’t, but that’s likely to happen at every school. If you go into it with a bad attitude, you will have a bad experience. Feel free to message me if anyone has questions about the school.

Reactions: 7 users
Interview #5: NYU Candidate Day
Notification date: 11/09
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/04
Application complete date: 07/16, (KIRA completed: 07/15)
GPA (science, overall): Science: 3.35, Overall: 3.52
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/19/20/30/No
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/13, 11/14, 11/16, 11/21, 12/8
Method of interview: In Person

Last edited:
I did my Kira assessment in July but still haven't received an invitation for the candidate day, should I be worried? I thought I did fine for the Kira

I did my Kira assessment in July but still haven't received an invitation for the candidate day, should I be worried? I thought I did fine for the Kira
No need to worry. Same boat as you, got my Kira in July, and I’m not sure if it applies to NYU too, but I was just speaking with an admissions member from USC Ostrow who revealed to me that people who receive the Kira are not guaranteed for an interview, but receiving the Kira does not come to everyone. So I’m not sure if it applies to NYU as well, but if you got one, take that as a good note and just be as patient as you can, it will all work out 🙏