NYU College of Dentistry Class of 2028 Interview/Acceptance Thread

wondering if they already sent out their interview invitations after the Kira assessment.

Members don't see this ad.

wondering if they already sent out their interview invitations after the Kira assessment.
according to the official interview invite tracker they haven’t sent anything yet, hopefully soon though!!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else received an email about signing up for Candidate Day? Is this supposed to be an interview invite?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else received an email about signing up for Candidate Day? Is this supposed to be an interview invite?
On the NYU status portal it says that attending candidate day is the last step of the admissions process?? Not sure what that means though

got an invitation to Candidate day. Anyone knows what this is? Is this the interview ? Because it never specified it as an interview

Hi, I received a candidate day invitation. Not sure what this means? Is it another interview or was the KIRA the final interview?

I received the invite, too. It sounds like there is no interview based on the email

Does anyone know if they will do multiple interview/candidate days? Or does NYU send interviews all at once?

Does anyone know if they will do multiple interview/candidate days? Or does NYU send interviews all at once?
unsure about the candidate days since that's new. But no way do they send this invites all at once. NYU interviews all the way into next spring to fill their class. Plenty of time left. Don't stress

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU Admissions office confirmed that there is no second interview - Kira was the interview

what does this mean candidate day is?
They basically told me that it's for you to meet the faculty.

In my personal opinion (since this is the first time they're doing this I have no real idea besides talk) - I believe they want to see if you will make the trip to NYC, which would show them that you are likely to either attend or maybe put down a deposit (5,000 according to google), which makes it worth it for them to officially send you an acceptance on the 15th - since they cannot tell you you're accepted before. I'm pretty sure candidate day is mandatory?

Hopefully this sheds some light:
"The final step of the DDS admissions process will be to attend one Candidate Day event. If selected to attend Candidate Day, an invitation will be emailed directly to you. Candidate Day is an opportunity to learn more about the NYU Dentistry Difference, take a guided tour of campus led by a current DDS student, have lunch with a faculty member, and hear from current students about their experience in the program. Our review process is holistic and takes some time to complete. We do not review applications in the order in which they are received."
- From the NYU portal
So no other interview, but you still need to attend as you will be judged holistically (i.e., including how you interact with faculty at Candidate Day).

On my NYU portal there is no longer a checklist of what I need to complete. It just says my application is under review. Is this similar to most people who are under review too?

graduated from NYU about a year ago. honestly the way of getting in with average stats is to become friendly with someone on the admissions committee. I got in with a 3.1 oGPA, 2.9 sGPA and 20aa. I was able to constantly reach out and establish a connection with a counselor through letters and phone calls. who pushed my application in front of dr. mejia (dean of admissions) and got me in. the overall experience of the school was pretty awful but living in NYC to pursue my dream of being a dentist was a dream come true in and of itself. AMA here to help.

Reactions: 4 users
graduated from NYU about a year ago. honestly the way of getting in with average stats is to become friendly with someone on the admissions committee. I got in with a 3.1 oGPA, 2.9 sGPA and 20aa. I was able to constantly reach out and establish a connection with a counselor through letters and phone calls. who pushed my application in front of dr. mejia (dean of admissions) and got me in. the overall experience of the school was pretty awful but living in NYC to pursue my dream of being a dentist was a dream come true in and of itself. AMA here to help.
What made the school experience so awful?

theres a ton of reasons. I talk about it extensively on my YouTube channel. but pretty much everything you've heard about the school is true to some extent. large class sizes make it difficult to learn, administration doesn't really care about the students, some courses being pretty unfair, if you get an F in any single class you remediate the year. almost half the class failing at least one part of the boards. its pretty much one big factory, pumping out dentists. I still enjoyed my time in New York City but man theres even more to it than what I mentioned. dm me if you want to talk.

theres a ton of reasons. I talk about it extensively on my YouTube channel. but pretty much everything you've heard about the school is true to some extent. large class sizes make it difficult to learn, administration doesn't really care about the students, some courses being pretty unfair, if you get an F in any single class you remediate the year. almost half the class failing at least one part of the boards. its pretty much one big factory, pumping out dentists. I still enjoyed my time in New York City but man theres even more to it than what I mentioned. dm me if you want to talk.
Ill check out your channel!

I just took kira and totally bombed it. did anyone get invited with horrible Kira? I used half of my time to think the answers and I didn't answer the question properly and rambled so much......
I got it, and I did pretty bad lol

I had 22AA and 3.74 GPA, and I thought I did Kira okay, but didn’t receive the invitation. So I guess we never know :)..

I had 22AA and 3.74 GPA, and I thought I did Kira okay, but didn’t receive the invitation. So I guess we never know :)..
trust the process...

Reactions: 1 users
I just took kira and totally bombed it. did anyone get invited with horrible Kira? I used half of my time to think the answers and I didn't answer the question properly and rambled so much......
Heads up for anyone who has recently submitted their Kira or will complete it soon; When I was invited to candidate day (10/2), the portal gave options to pick which day between Oct 9th and 20th. I don't know if the school plans on having another option following those dates but still before Dec 15th so if you don't hear back before the 20th, I would guess you'll be waiting until after acceptance day. Feel free to trust the process--not to discourage anyone--but this might help you see where you stand.

Heads up for anyone who has recently submitted their Kira or will complete it soon; When I was invited to candidate day (10/2), the portal gave options to pick which day between Oct 9th and 20th. I don't know if the school plans on having another option following those dates but still before Dec 15th so if you don't hear back before the 20th, I would guess you'll be waiting until after acceptance day. Feel free to trust the process--not to discourage anyone--but this might help you see where you stand.
NYU interviews tons of candidates
it's highly unlikely that oct 20 is the last candidate day...

NYU interviews tons of candidates
it's highly unlikely that oct 20 is the last candidate day...
I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm just disseminating info unavailable to those who haven't received the candidate day invite. I also didn't say that there wouldn't be another candidate day. I guessed it would be after Dec 15th based on the info that I could see, which was a calendar with certain dates available in October and none in November. Had a feeling you'd chime in which is why I said "feel free to trust the process," but I'm just giving applicants more info to work with. It's comforting to a lot of people to have a better idea of what's happening.

invited to candidate day means unofficial acceptance? What did u do on the candidate day?
This is the first year that NYU is doing a candidate day, so no one knows what it really means. The portal says it's the "final step of the DDS Admissions process." Candidate days haven't begun yet, so all we can do is speculate about what it means for acceptance. The itinerary that was emailed to me was as follows:
  • 9:45am - Check In
  • 10:00am - Welcome & Introductions
  • 10:15am - NYU Dentistry Difference (Presentation)
  • 11:00am - Campus Tour
  • 12:00pm - Lunch with Faculty
  • 1:00pm - Current Student Q&A Panel
  • 1:40pm - Next Steps / Closing Remarks
Pretty basic stuff - tour, info about the program and a Q&A. That's why if I had to guess, I would say it is probably an opportunity for the faculty to see if there's any glaring problems with the applicant. Obviously I'm biased by having received an invite, so I'm telling myself that means an unofficial acceptance, but we have no idea at this point. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm just disseminating info unavailable to those who haven't received the candidate day invite. I also didn't say that there wouldn't be another candidate day. I guessed it would be after Dec 15th based on the info that I could see, which was a calendar with certain dates available in October and none in November. Had a feeling you'd chime in which is why I said "feel free to trust the process," but I'm just giving applicants more info to work with. It's comforting to a lot of people to have a better idea of what's happening.
ok, noted
you guessed
it's highly unlikely that oct 20 is the last candidate day until after dec 15
i'm just giving applicants more info to work with...

This is the first year that NYU is doing a candidate day, so no one knows what it really means. The portal says it's the "final step of the DDS Admissions process." Candidate days haven't begun yet, so all we can do is speculate about what it means for acceptance. The itinerary that was emailed to me was as follows:
Pretty basic stuff - tour, info about the program and a Q&A. That's why if I had to guess, I would say it is probably an opportunity for the faculty to see if there's any glaring problems with the applicant. Obviously I'm biased by having received an invite, so I'm telling myself that means an unofficial acceptance, but we have no idea at this point. Hope this helps!
Thank you!

For those who have attended NYU candidate day, how was it? Should I prepare for it like an interview?

Candidate days started on the 5th! I think they only show you dates available the 2 weeks following your invitation

went to candidate day last week. they were very faithful with the schedule and never thought there was a wasteful moment. the event actually compelled me to think more highly of nyu to the point where i would go if the price is right.

Reactions: 4 users
went to candidate day last week. they were very faithful with the schedule and never thought there was a wasteful moment. the event actually compelled me to think more highly of nyu to the point where i would go if the price is right.
it's a solid school, and has its problems like any other school, but I agree the cost is just too expensive unless you manage to get one of their selective scholarships. Which I think pays for housing for all 4 years, so then it really isn't that bad.

Thanks for sharing! Is there a part that feels like an informal interview?

it's a solid school, and has its problems like any other school, but I agree the cost is just too expensive unless you manage to get one of their selective scholarships. Which I think pays for housing for all 4 years, so then it really isn't that bad.
i live in queens so housing isnt a factor but the tuition is still something to consider