NYMC c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"I don't want any doctors out there practicing with a degree from a medical college that no longer exists."

He means if NYMC affiliates w/ another school, it must be under the condition that NYMC retain it's name. ie, it won't be turning in to St. John's medical school or anything like that. The school is not about to buckle.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an acceptance at NYMC today. I'm waitlisted at my state school (which would be my first choice for $$ reasons), but there's a chance I may be joining some of you this fall!

When did you interview?

Has anyone gotten any scholarships yet? I was googling the forums and found an old NYMC thread where people got letters 5/10 and later about scholarships. Still deciding between MCW and NYMC. I am so frustrated and just wish the decision could be easier.

Can anyone tell me about exam schedules? How often etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten any scholarships yet? I was googling the forums and found an old NYMC thread where people got letters 5/10 and later about scholarships. Still deciding between MCW and NYMC. I am so frustrated and just wish the decision could be easier.

Exam schedules

First year varies
1st three months - frequent, maybe every other week
next 3 months - once a month or so
last 3 months - every other week, but nowhere near as stressful as first block

Second year
Every five/six weeks all year, with a dedicated study week the week before. You take two tests on Friday of that week (which sucks on that day, but is good practice for the boards)
Spring finals are spread over two weeks

Allerian, I know how u feel...i thought i was decided and now im back to square one-- i have no idea what to do, im deciding bw suny upstate and nymc:confused: (the choice is not as obvious as it may seem)

I got a scholarship memo today via email....

bumping: facebook: search NYMC 2011

I got a scholarship memo today via email....

I'll add myself to the list of scholarship recipients notified today. SOOO, Stony Brook or NYMC?

Clearly SB has reputation and research, what about NYMC?

NYMC'ers past and present- which would you pick?

I got into both and came to NYMC and wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't think if I'd say stonybrook has reputation. Don't base what you think about a med school from what you hear on sdn. Research definately goes to them, but I think even if you look at match lists, I thought ours was better (maybe im biased). In the end go where you liked the most, the education is yours to make anywhere you go, be it harvard or the caribbean.

A question for the currenty NYMC students: how much time do you (we, I suppose) get between the end of second year and the beginning of third year (how much time to study for step I)?

I am somewhat confused. I called admissions today to ask about scholarships. They said they are definately not done distributing scholarships. I've bugged them about it and still on the list. I asked if I would hear by the May 15th deadline. They said this deadline is only for deposits and the real deadline is June 1st. So... I called my two other schools and they no... you must make a decision by May 15th per AMCAS trafficking rules. Ok. So who's right? If I don't get a scholarship to NYMC I may not attend because my other schools are less expensive.

Can any current students tell me how "renewable" these scholarships are that they just handed out? They say it's renewable every year "if academic performance is satisfactory in the judgment of the College and you remain a New York Medical College student in good standing."

I'm hoping this means just as long as I pass everything?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, can anyone tell me how long it took for nymc to send you the financial aid info email after getting the initial acceptance? i was accepted last week, and am anxious to get the paperwork going =(

A question for the currenty NYMC students: how much time do you (we, I suppose) get between the end of second year and the beginning of third year (how much time to study for step I)?
I took exactly 30 days to study for Step 1 (I started the day after my 2nd year finals were over) and after taking it I got 2 weeks vacation before the start of 3rd year. The schedule may have changed somewhat since then, though -- not sure about that.

I took exactly 30 days to study for Step 1 (I started the day after my 2nd year finals were over) and after taking it I got 2 weeks vacation before the start of 3rd year. The schedule may have changed somewhat since then, though -- not sure about that.

Great...thanks a lot.

I'm currently a second year and they changed it a little bit. Classes end on May 15th, and 3rd year orientation starts on June 25. They are encouraging kids to take it by the 22nd of june, which is exactly 5.5 weeks if you take NO break between finals and studying (which I think would be crazy). Most kids in my year taking it between 4.5 - 5 weeks, im personally take mine on the 22nd. After the orientaion, which ends on the 29th, we are off until July 9th. The idea behind it was to work in a MANDATORY break so kids didn't over study and burn out (I guess that happened a lot last year?) I'm currently on senate and working with another senator, in hopes of combining one of the smaller 2 weeks courses (biostat) with behavior and as a result taking those 2 weeks, to give 2nd year students 7 weeks between end of classes and boards, so kids can have a little bit of time to unwind before they have to go hardcore for the boards. I'll let you know how that goes when we meet with faculty. Sorry if this email sounds confusing, im busy studying for my last 2 basic science exams :)

Well, May 15th is here. I have decided not to attend NYMC. I am sorry that I will not be joining all you awesome people in the fall. Although, NYMC would offer awesome opportunities, I have decided to stay closer to home. Good luck to all of you!

am I the only one on this forum who hasn't sent in their fin aid papers yet? i.e. credit scores, mpn, nymc app, tax returns and crap

am I the only one on this forum who hasn't sent in their fin aid papers yet? i.e. credit scores, mpn, nymc app, tax returns and crap

I don't know, but my fin aid stuff had a deadline of april 30th on it (although I'm sure that doesn't apply to people accepted later than that). It was burried in the text of the email, but it was there.

I don't know, but my fin aid stuff had a deadline of april 30th on it (although I'm sure that doesn't apply to people accepted later than that). It was burried in the text of the email, but it was there.

yup. those accepted after april 30th have 30 days post-acceptance date.

****... i guess i screwed that up... i was accepted a long time ago.. just wasn't sure if i was coming or not... now im kind of worried...

****... i guess i screwed that up... i was accepted a long time ago.. just wasn't sure if i was coming or not... now im kind of worried...

i say, fill out what you can now...seeing as it only took an hour or so to do it all, and i mean ALL, and call them tomorrow morning. send next day mail if they need it that badly, or even ask if you can fax it. the deadline may be more for priority reasons, kind of like the fafsa

Yeah, I'm w/ CP on this one. I think if you get on the phone w/ them, they'll be understanding. It the deadline wasn't very explicit, I didn't notice it untill I actually sat down to fill the stuff out, and was lucky to have done it just before the deadline. You're probably fine.

Yeah, I'm w/ CP on this one. I think if you get on the phone w/ them, they'll be understanding. It the deadline wasn't very explicit, I didn't notice it untill I actually sat down to fill the stuff out, and was lucky to have done it just before the deadline. You're probably fine.

I actually didnt hand in all of my financial aid stuff until yesterday-- and i got the acceptance a while ago. They should be fine with it. I didn't know if i wanted to go here, so i was a little hesitant to fill out everything. I was also offered the scholarship, so that helped alot. I chose here over SUNY Upstate...

yeah good looks.. i just called and they were like its all good just mail your stuff in...

Got a scholarship notice today... so for those wondering, they're still giving them out.

Anyone have any information on what constitutes as "satisfactory academic progress" that's required to maintain in order to renew the scholarship each year? Just curious.

Got a scholarship notice today... so for those wondering, they're still giving them out.

Anyone have any information on what constitutes as "satisfactory academic progress" that's required to maintain in order to renew the scholarship each year? Just curious.

I think u just need to pass everything. That's what the hard-copy letter made it sound like.

Also, are these scholarships merit or need based??

satisfactory means passing, although I know one of my classmates who failed a class first block and still got his scholarship for second year. The scholarships are mostly need based, but can be merit if they really want you to come.

Hey just joining the thread. I got my acceptance via email last week and I'm almost positive I'll be at NYMC next year! (still waiting on BU waitlist before making a final decision).

I'm so excited!

hello to all. excited to finally join a class thread instead of scoping the pre-allopathic forums.

cheers

Well, I think I decided on NYMC for sure.

Anyone know when the housing apps come out?

Hi guys! I'm also happy to join a class thread after reading them for so long. :) I'd also like to know about the housing info...like does anyone know when the move-in date is?

hey,

i know that incoming students for the fall class are required to send in transcripts from their under/graduate schools. Was wondering, does this mean I need to write my graduate school thesis (which would require paying them an additional amount of money) or would NYMC not care if I wrote it.

I would prefer to not spend the month before starting this fall holed up in a library working on a BS thesis rather than traveling.

thanks ahead

hey,

i know that incoming students for the fall class are required to send in transcripts from their under/graduate schools. Was wondering, does this mean I need to write my graduate school thesis (which would require paying them an additional amount of money) or would NYMC not care if I wrote it.

I would prefer to not spend the month before starting this fall holed up in a library working on a BS thesis rather than traveling.

thanks ahead

I believe before you matriculate at any med school you need to have all your degree requirements completed. If you are in a degree awarding program, such as a master's, and writing a thesis is required for the degree, you need to finish the thesis before starting at NYMC. If the thesis is optional, and you don't need it to graduate with your degree I don't think you have to write it. Best to check with your current school and NYMC.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone is living off campus next year and if they have had any luck finding a place within the off campus budget?
Or to current students, do you know of anyone leaving their apartment at the end of this year who are looking to rent it out?
Thanks guys,
Kevin P.

Housing email came today

For the current NYMC students: do most married students live in the 2 or the 1 bedroom apts? How hard is it to get a 2 bedroom for first year?

btw, who here's going to miss in 'n out? I'm definitely going to be stocking up on double doubles in the next two months.

one more question - are the rooms in the garden-style apartments (is that what they're called?) big enough to fit a king bed? Thanks!

I think a king would take up the entire room. literally.

I think a king would take up the entire room. literally.

Are the rooms that small? I didn't get to see any of the housing on the day of my interview because it was raining. Crap...my husband and I just bought a king bed. :eek:

Oddly enough, even though the married housing apts look the same from the outside, there's a lot of variability to the apartments. You are more likely to get a 2 bedroom, because most of them are actually smaller than the one bedroom's (and there are more of them). There is room for a king in most of the apts I've seen, but the room will be tight. If you're sharing with your spouse this doesn't matter because you just use the other "bedroom" as your living room and then still have a big kitchen (this is what we did). However, my views of what is "big" are completely skewed because I live in the city.

Are the rooms that small? I didn't get to see any of the housing on the day of my interview because it was raining. Crap...my husband and I just bought a king bed. :eek:

Haha I keed, all I know is that the furnished housing was pretty tight... I think you guys have twin beds as standard?? And even that room looked a little cramped.

So we start classes on August 5th right? And if i remember correctly, registration is Monday, July 30th, and orientation is July 31st through August 3rd?

What should we expect as far as registration and orientation go?

So we start classes on August 5th right? And if i remember correctly, registration is Monday, July 30th, and orientation is July 31st through August 3rd?

What should we expect as far as registration and orientation go?
From what I remember:
-Lots of free beer and food and mixer bbq's
-You'll move in on the 30th, some of the now first years will help you get your crap into the apts. and pretty much nothing the first night except for a mixer BBQ
-The two don't miss activities: Open bar (probably at the Thirsty Turtle) and the Boat Cruise. They cost a bit of money, but are completely worth it to meet people/make fun of the people that get completely obliterated and start hooking up 48 hours into med school or who throw-up on the bus ride home.
-They have one day where they have you go through various stations in the mods to get your lockers/microscopes/white-coat fittings/other random stuff.
-There is the obligatory lectures on professionalism/medicine/fire-safety/other boring stuff scattered through-out

Overall, I remember very little of it except for the fun parts.

Oddly enough, even though the married housing apts look the same from the outside, there's a lot of variability to the apartments. You are more likely to get a 2 bedroom, because most of them are actually smaller than the one bedroom's (and there are more of them). There is room for a king in most of the apts I've seen, but the room will be tight. If you're sharing with your spouse this doesn't matter because you just use the other "bedroom" as your living room and then still have a big kitchen (this is what we did). However, my views of what is "big" are completely skewed because I live in the city.

The one bedrooms are actually bigger overall than the two bedrooms? That's odd. I called the housing office yesterday, and the lady I spoke to (Vicky?) gave me the dimensions. Looks like my king will fit, along with two night stands, but I don't think I'll be able to have anything else in there. We're going to set it up just like you did, with the second bedroom as the living room/guest room. Thanks for the advice!

Hooray!!! I get to join the med students forum!! I can't wait to meet everyone.