NYMC c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To any current students who may be able to answer this:

Because of a family situation, I actually have tickets to fly back home during Orientation week from Thursday-Sunday. I know I'll miss the boat cruise, but is there anyway I can arrange to do all my obligatory stuff in the beginning of the week, meet my lab partner earlier on, and see the mods so I'm not TOTALLY lost come first day of school?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly haven't read through the whole forum, so sorry if this question has already been addressed...
What are the thoughts on living in White Plains? I'm not from the area but two out of two friends from there tell me that I should live in White Plains. I'll have a car.

How long would the commute be? Do many med students live there? What are the pro's/con's?

Thanks!

I honestly haven't read through the whole forum, so sorry if this question has already been addressed...
What are the thoughts on living in White Plains? I'm not from the area but two out of two friends from there tell me that I should live in White Plains. I'll have a car.

How long would the commute be? Do many med students live there? What are the pro's/con's?

Thanks!
Commute-wise living in White Plains is not a problem at all. It's about 10 mins. drive from campus in no traffic, and maybe 20-30 in heavy traffic. White Plains is a pretty nice place to live too.

The big "con" is the cost -- it will probably cost you a great deal more to live in white plains than it will to live on campus here. I believe a one-bedroom is likely going to be in the order or $1200-1500 at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
To any current students who may be able to answer this:

Because of a family situation, I actually have tickets to fly back home during Orientation week from Thursday-Sunday. I know I'll miss the boat cruise, but is there anyway I can arrange to do all my obligatory stuff in the beginning of the week, meet my lab partner earlier on, and see the mods so I'm not TOTALLY lost come first day of school?

Hey Rhythm,

I would try and contact administration and tell them what's going on. I don't quite remember the schedule for orientation week, but I remember you need to sort things out with tuition billing, security, housing, and a whole bunch of other stuff. So I think the best bet is to call administration (or maybe student affairs).

As for meeting your lab partners and seeing the mods. You're not going to be TOTALLY lost the first day of school. Trust me you'll be spending more than enough time with your lab partners and in the mods, so I wouldn't fret. Too bad youre missing out on possibly the only week the school will treat you like they give a (@)#*% :laugh: i kid i kid. Good luck

Hey everyone,
I am going to live in the dorms and was wondering if any of the current students could measure how big their room is in the 4 bedroom thingers. I have queen sized bed and I'd hate to have to downsize if I can fit in the room. Also for other M1's going in I just got my acceptance letter and so who do I make the check out to for my $100 deposit for a seat in the class, and who do I make the $200 check out to for the housing?

To the west coaster's - anyone doing the cross country drive? Or are people shipping their cars? Anyone done this drive before and know about how many days it should take me?

Hey everyone,
I am going to live in the dorms and was wondering if any of the current students could measure how big their room is in the 4 bedroom thingers. I have queen sized bed and I'd hate to have to downsize if I can fit in the room. Also for other M1's going in I just got my acceptance letter and so who do I make the check out to for my $100 deposit for a seat in the class, and who do I make the $200 check out to for the housing?

hey DoctorDork. I'm a Class of 2011 too. When I called housing they told me that for the dorms (for younger unmarried med students) there are twin beds and furniture provided and that the furniture was not to be removed from the apartment. Although I will say that when I got the tour, they showed us a dorm and one girl had a queen sized bed smushed into her room. It was a really tight squeeze. I have no idea what they did with the twin bed or how she got her queen sized bed in there. Maybe the rule isn't really enforced?

For the deposit I wrote it out to "New York Medical College". It seems to have worked fine cause I got an email the other day saying my deposit had been received.

As for the housing check I have no idea...still trying to figure out my housing options and haven't submitted my application yet. If you find out, please let me know.

To the west coaster's - anyone doing the cross country drive? Or are people shipping their cars? Anyone done this drive before and know about how many days it should take me?

We're planning on getting a new car through my husband's job, but we're going to do the drive from LA in a rental car just for fun (we have a few days to kill). I think we're going to do it in six days. Just google-map it. You can visit any family you have along the way or make some stops in cool places. We're stopping in Vegas, Denver, Iowa I think, Minneapolis (a little out of the way), Chicago, and Buffalo. Should be a pretty awesome trip!

Hey Guys,
Called Student housing today and got the following information:
the 4 bedroom shared grassland apartments are 9x14ft (126ft^2). We should list this as our first option as the unfurnished grassland apartments are usually taken up by the higher level med students.
-a queen sized bed will fit in the room but you cannot remove the current furniture from the room and thus will have to find a way to store the original bed if you plan on bringing your own.
Sucks to be single I guess. See you all in July.

Hey Guys,
Called Student housing today and got the following information:
the 4 bedroom shared grassland apartments are 9x14ft (126ft^2). We should list this as our first option as the unfurnished grassland apartments are usually taken up by the higher level med students.
-a queen sized bed will fit in the room but you cannot remove the current furniture from the room and thus will have to find a way to store the original bed if you plan on bringing your own.
Sucks to be single I guess. See you all in July.

it's going to redefine tight with that queen stuffed into your room.

My roomie has a full bed and almost nothing else in his room. It can be done, it's just a little cramped. If you've got a frame that's raised off the ground, you can take the twin bed apart and hide it under yours...but if it's an Ikea frame, you're going to have to get creative with rearranging, and having tolerant roomies who are willing to put up with your bed in the living room. You're not supposed to remove the bed/mattress from the suite, but however your arrange it inside is not a big deal.

It's a HAUL of a drive, my roomie had his car shipped from San Fran, which cost about $1000 + $400 airfare. I'd guess that it'd take over a week to do the drive, and it might be cheaper to ship with gas prices as they are.

Quick math: 3000 miles (from san fran according to google maps) at 70 miles an hour is about 43 hours of driving...4-5 days if you drive 10 hours a day. 100 gallons of gas @ $3/gal and 30 MPG, plus 4 nights hotel/motel + food + oil changes on either side of the drive...it starts to look about even financially...

It's a HAUL of a drive, my roomie had his car shipped from San Fran, which cost about $1000 + $400 airfare. I'd guess that it'd take over a week to do the drive, and it might be cheaper to ship with gas prices as they are.

Quick math: 3000 miles (from san fran according to google maps) at 70 miles an hour is about 43 hours of driving...4-5 days if you drive 10 hours a day. 100 gallons of gas @ $3/gal and 30 MPG, plus 4 nights hotel/motel + food + oil changes on either side of the drive...it starts to look about even financially...

Thanks for doing the math for me. I was wondering when I was going to find time to calculate it all. Now the question is, how much can I fit in a Jetta?

Some students shoved their assigned twin beds into the living areas- I guess you will have to get the okay from your roommates. It is not too hard to get housing in the unfurnished apts as a second year. I did that, and it was fine. You also have lots of opps to buy used furniture from graduates each spring. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for doing the math for me. I was wondering when I was going to find time to calculate it all. Now the question is, how much can I fit in a Jetta?

I remember cramming everything I owned into my corolla. I brought WAY too much stuff to NYMC. There is a lovely Target right across Tappan Zee Bridge, and you can get everything you need. Also, check with your rommates so you don't end up with four sets of pots... Remember, whatever you need, you can always buy it there.
If I remember correctly, there is a bed bath and beyond outlet not too far from the Sam's Club about five minutes from campus. There is also a Henckel's knives outlet.

Speaking of roommates...will we find out who we're living with before move-in? So we can contact each other about what we're bringing, etc...

Speaking of roommates...will we find out who we're living with before move-in? So we can contact each other about what we're bringing, etc...

Yep...probably sometime in July you'll get the names and contact info (email).

Yep...probably sometime in July you'll get the names and contact info (email).

So is it like 4 guys to a shared 4 bedroom? Or do they mix it up with guys and girls? I've always lived in a mixed/co-ed house, so I'd kinda like it that way if its possible.

So is it like 4 guys to a shared 4 bedroom? Or do they mix it up with guys and girls? I've always lived in a mixed/co-ed house, so I'd kinda like it that way if its possible.

LOL.

I got a question, do we only get 1 bathroom per quad?

LOL.

I got a question, do we only get 1 bathroom per quad?

2 bathrooms if you choose 4 bdrm grassland, and 1.5 bathroom (so 2 toilets, 1 shower) if you choose 3 bdrm grassland.

just guys in the room...if you live in married housing, you can share a 1BR with a member of the opposite sex...who you're married to, or a 2BR with a classmate. They definitely make it difficult to co-habitate on campus

hmm...are there any pluses to living in a 3-bedroom Grasslands II vs. a 4-bedroom? I imagine the 3-bedroom would be less crowded, unless it's a lot smaller too. But then, the 4-bedroom has 2 bathrooms.

Is anyone else kinda bummed that this amazing, ultra competitive process to get into med school is going to cost us around 1/4 of a million dollars at the end? Don't get me wrong its much better than not going to med school because i've been working too hard and dreaming too much about making this a reality, but somehow I had envisioned myself like $160,000 in debt at the end (a year's salary), not that plus another $100,000. :(

Is anyone else kinda bummed that this amazing, ultra competitive process to get into med school is going to cost us around 1/4 of a million dollars at the end? Don't get me wrong its much better than not going to med school because i've been working too hard and dreaming too much about making this a reality, but somehow I had envisioned myself like $160,000 in debt at the end (a year's salary), not that plus another $100,000. :(

Welcome to a life in debt. :laugh: Hah..okay i jest. I understand your concern, I as many of my classmates have that burden of debt way back in our minds. When you get here this summer, you'll meet Tony Sozzo. He's the man. If you have any financial concerns you should talk to him. But from what I remembered from the beginning of this year, he said to take these next four years as an investment, like any other investment in the market (house, stock, etc...) Because the return is going to be many times returned, not just in a monetary sense, but youre also going to be a doctor. Debt isn't that bad. =P

If that doesn't settle your mind, rob a bank...that's what I did. ;)

I mean, I agree that it costs a ridiculous amount to go to medical school and that probably needs to change, but I'm not exactly bummed about it. I'm going to be a doctor, that's my life's greatest goal, and sure i'll have to pay back a bunch of debt, but are doctor's barely getting by out there having to pay back their debts? No, doctors do just fine for themselves, and virtually all of them had to acquire some debt to pay for medical school. Just stay on top of it and you'll be fine. If you're really worried about it, talk to the financial advisor and make a plan.

Oh does anyone have a schedule yet for the upcoming year? Like when are exams and stuff? I kinda would like to know so i can plan some trips that are after exam times. Did anyone find out where they are living for sure yet? Lastly, is anyone in the MD/MPH program? I am really interested in doing it but would like to wait until after my first year to decide whether or not i can handle the extra classes. Do the people in it have lives still? And how long does it take if I were to start it say, 4th year?

hmm...are there any pluses to living in a 3-bedroom Grasslands II vs. a 4-bedroom? I imagine the 3-bedroom would be less crowded, unless it's a lot smaller too. But then, the 4-bedroom has 2 bathrooms.
The three bedroom apartments on the first floors have two bathrooms also -- it's just that one of those is a private bathroom IN one of the three bedrooms.

Basically, one person pays extra rent and gets a huge room with a private bath, and the other two get normal rooms and share a bathroom.

Oh does anyone have a schedule yet for the upcoming year? Like when are exams and stuff? I kinda would like to know so i can plan some trips that are after exam times. Did anyone find out where they are living for sure yet? Lastly, is anyone in the MD/MPH program? I am really interested in doing it but would like to wait until after my first year to decide whether or not i can handle the extra classes. Do the people in it have lives still? And how long does it take if I were to start it say, 4th year?
I'm in the MPH program -- I think it is very, very doable and there are a lot of people who are in fact doing the dual degree. The advantage of starting in first year is that you can totally forego the extra classes third year, but either way you will have enough time to finish all of your coursework.

Hi, just got accepted, looking forward to meeting everyone next month. Quick question-im looking for a new laptop, are most files/slides/notes we will be given accesible to Macs or should i get a windows-based laptop? Thanks!

sara,

Any mac these days (I have a macbook -- and a PC desktop) will be able to handle any files (pdf, word, etc) that the school will be giving us so I wouldn't worry about what type of computer to get. Whichever you are more comfortable with/cheaper is the way to go.

another question...has anyone received confirmation of housing receiving your student housing form and deposit?

thanks

sara,

Any mac these days (I have a macbook -- and a PC desktop) will be able to handle any files (pdf, word, etc) that the school will be giving us so I wouldn't worry about what type of computer to get. Whichever you are more comfortable with/cheaper is the way to go.

another question...has anyone received confirmation of housing receiving your student housing form and deposit?

thanks

nope and i sent it a whiiiiiiiile back

You can call the housing office and ask if they've received your deposit. My husband has already moved into our apartment, since he just started his new job...we called the housing office, and the lady set everything up.

Is anyone having a problem getting a copy of their parents' tax forms? My dad has an extension until October, and he's being really stubborn about waiting until summer is over to do it (he owns/manages a jet ski rental shop, so summer is a busy time for him). Has anyone gotten an extension on the fin aid forms?

hey
I can't find the address for the student housing office so I have no idea where to send my housing application.

What was the address you guys sent your housing app to?

Thanks so much!

hey
I can't find the address for the student housing office so I have no idea where to send my housing application.

What was the address you guys sent your housing app to?

Thanks so much!

New York Medical College
Student Housing Office
116 Sunshine Cottage
Valhalla, NY 10595

how long does it take to hear back from the finaicial aid department? My Northstar/T.H.E. still says processing and I completed it on 6/11/2007. I only applied for subsidized staford loans, how do I apply for the unsubsidized? And my application on the NYMC website says still processing. What am I supposed to be doing?

Sorry this question is kind of off topic (and far less important than financial worries), but I was looking into planning a trip over Christmas break/week, or perhaps next summer; does anyone know when the last day of classes usually falls around for both winter and summer break? Thanks!

Sorry this question is kind of off topic (and far less important than financial worries), but I was looking into planning a trip over Christmas break/week, or perhaps next summer; does anyone know when the last day of classes usually falls around for both winter and summer break? Thanks!

I know our winter break is from Dec. 20th to January 6th, but I have no idea about next summer. Hope that helps a little. :)

You can call the housing office and ask if they've received your deposit. My husband has already moved into our apartment, since he just started his new job...we called the housing office, and the lady set everything up.

So if I call the housing department, do you think it will be possible to move my stuff, or at least drop it off at dorm room on the 27th? I wanted to go visit some friends in NYC but I DO NOT want my car in NYC. If yes, who should I ask to speak with in order to arrange this?

I just decided on NYMC. I am extremely excited!!!:):):laugh:

what is this boat cruise people are mentioning... is this during orientation? how'd people know about this?

anyone know what type of furniture is in the 4 bed shared apartments other than a bed? Do we get a desk or dresser, etc?

There is a list of everything on the attachment sent with the housing forms via e-mail. I believe it says we get a desk chair, desk, book shelf and dresser.

Hey y'all. Those of you who live in NY and the surrounding areas I have a question about cars. I am considering selling my truck and buying a cheap accord or civic for my time at NYMC, but I am weary of purchasing a car in the north east. I wouldn't be familiar with the problems such as rust. This would save me from the drive, and I don't think my truck will be of much utility in the snow. Buying from carmax would give me some piece of mind. What do y'all suggest?

Hi everyone. I got into NYMC last month but had no idea that this forum existed! Just wanted to say hello and see you all in August! (Also, just wondering what everyone is thinking regarding 3 bedroom vs. 4 bedrooms in the grasslands apts???) Thanks!

Hey y'all. Those of you who live in NY and the surrounding areas I have a question about cars. I am considering selling my truck and buying a cheap accord or civic for my time at NYMC, but I am weary of purchasing a car in the north east. I wouldn't be familiar with the problems such as rust. This would save me from the drive, and I don't think my truck will be of much utility in the snow. Buying from carmax would give me some piece of mind. What do y'all suggest?

morffius,

I grew up 20 minutes from valhalla and can attest that having a better gas mileage car will definitely be better for your wallet in the northeast. You'll be driving a substantial amount, considering most things fun, are close, but not close enough to walk. Just as long as you have front wheel drive, and a good set of tires, the snow shouldn't be too bad in the winter (unless its a huge snowstorm). Rust should never be a problem, assuming that your care doesn't already some.

cheers