NYMC c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a similar problem with the fin aid application. I wanted to just look and see what I was filling out before I did it and when I got to the submitted page I clicked out thinking, since I didn't hit the submit button it wasn't submitted. When I tried to do it later then it said I already submitted. Hmmm...

Members don't see this ad.

THE Loans:

I did some shopping around last summer and most of the benefits of THE come during your repayment period. They're a not-for-profit company, meaning that they are not trying to screw you over in repayment and on fees. They have NO FEES, compared to many other places that charge 1-3% for every transaction (including disbursal every semester), meaning you have to take more money out to cover both your needs and the fees.

THE also starts their repayment benefits as soon as you begin repayment (I believe 1.3% off of Stafford interest rate and 1% off of private loans) whereas with most other lenders you have to hit a year or 4 of payments on time to begin interest discounts. 1% on 250,000 is something like 2,500/year that you're saving in interest. But that's without consolidating, etc...which opens a can of worms that you'll have to look into yourselves when/if you get to that point (I haven't).

Check out their website for more details: http://www.northstar.org/Med/default.aspx

They are already in possession of my first thru fifth children, but at least they're nice folks.

Hey,
Not avoiding the faculty support question, I've just been busy :) It seems to be hit or miss, to be honest. You'll find that overall, in medical school and graduate school, there's a lot less hand-holding when it comes to the this stuff. Some people find that to be a turn-off, but it's just a fact at most places. At NYMC, there are certain specialties that have excellent mentor's that really go out of their way to help (Rachlin for Radiology, for example), and areas where no one has really stepped up to the plate yet (There's no real visible advisor for Derm here, for example). The Deans of student affairs (Drs Ayala in westchester and Dr Perla in the city) are helpful and supportive. You are assigned an advisor, usually in the field you would like to pursue, in the middle of third year, but sometimes they are hard to reach. Often, it seems people sort of seek out their own mentors during 3rd year. It's a tough time, because you are so busy on clinical rotations that it's hard to schedule meetings, etc, but I think that's a problem everywhere. I think there are students here that would like to have more face time/interaction with advisors, but so far as support it is definitely offered. Hope that helps a bit - I'm not really sure what you're asking - do you mean support deciding on a specialty, support in wokring toward matching in a competitive one, or support with pass courses? Let me know, I'll do my best to answer...

Banks: All the major ones are around. There's a Bank of America ATM in the basic science building in Valhalla, as well as one in Saint Vincent's. That basiclaly sealed the deal for me, since those are the two buildings I spent/spend most of my life in...

Members don't see this ad :)
thx Universe. I'm interested in support for finding a specialty, and probably also with matching if I do decide on something competitive. Since I really have no idea what I would like, I don't see how I would choose in the first two years w/ basic sciences and little specific clinical experience, and then during rotations when I will never be able to try out EVERYTHING.

Yesterday I realized how annoying switching banks may be w/ direct debit of some bills...BofA sounds great though.

One more question: What would you say the real cost of living (rent, utilities, food, transportation costs inc. gas/insurance) are for living on campus the first 2 years and living in NYC the next 2 years?

thx so much! hope you guys enjoyed break

Hey,
Not avoiding the faculty support question, I've just been busy :) It seems to be hit or miss, to be honest. You'll find that overall, in medical school and graduate school, there's a lot less hand-holding when it comes to the this stuff. Some people find that to be a turn-off, but it's just a fact at most places. At NYMC, there are certain specialties that have excellent mentor's that really go out of their way to help (Rachlin for Radiology, for example), and areas where no one has really stepped up to the plate yet (There's no real visible advisor for Derm here, for example). The Deans of student affairs (Drs Ayala in westchester and Dr Perla in the city) are helpful and supportive. You are assigned an advisor, usually in the field you would like to pursue, in the middle of third year, but sometimes they are hard to reach. Often, it seems people sort of seek out their own mentors during 3rd year. It's a tough time, because you are so busy on clinical rotations that it's hard to schedule meetings, etc, but I think that's a problem everywhere. I think there are students here that would like to have more face time/interaction with advisors, but so far as support it is definitely offered. Hope that helps a bit - I'm not really sure what you're asking - do you mean support deciding on a specialty, support in wokring toward matching in a competitive one, or support with pass courses? Let me know, I'll do my best to answer...

Banks: All the major ones are around. There's a Bank of America ATM in the basic science building in Valhalla, as well as one in Saint Vincent's. That basiclaly sealed the deal for me, since those are the two buildings I spent/spend most of my life in...

Just wanted to say hi to everyone here. I've been reading the forum undercover for a while... there's a lot of useful stuff on here! Still waiting on a few waitlists, but as of now I'll be joining all of you at NYMC in August.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone here. I've been reading the forum undercover for a while... there's a lot of useful stuff on here! Still waiting on a few waitlists, but as of now I'll be joining all of you at NYMC in August.

A SPY! GET HIM!!!....him, i'm assuming.....welcome :D

i contacted the fin aid office to get some info, and it was all general "you'll get stafford and perkins or plus or you'll need private loans", and that packages won't be given until after 5/15. i asked about scholarships and they said the admissions office takes care of that and not them. i don't really feel like contacting the admissions office since my other choice obviously has no leverage :rolleyes: I'm going to assume full loans for myself

Does anyone know when we find out what shots/stuff we need before we show up?
Or who we call to get this info?

I hate the USPS b/c they returned my envelope today for not having enough postage! I weighed it at the post office, how can it be wrong!!!!! Do not ever use the automated machine...EVER. oh well. I had done it hoping I would get fin aid back soon, but since that won't happen, it doesn't matter.

So what do you guys really think of your professors? In my comparison thread, one said they did not like what they saw on int. day....opinions? You guys and other ppl that go to NYMC who I know seem very happy with their choice. And also my renting question from above before it gets lost in the shuffle!

Bobcat, I'm personally going to wait for shot info

I hate the USPS b/c they returned my envelope today for not having enough postage! I weighed it at the post office, how can it be wrong!!!!! Do not ever use the automated machine...EVER. oh well. I had done it hoping I would get fin aid back soon, but since that won't happen, it doesn't matter.

So what do you guys really think of your professors? In my comparison thread, one said they did not like what they saw on int. day....opinions? You guys and other ppl that go to NYMC who I know seem very happy with their choice. And also my renting question from above before it gets lost in the shuffle!

Bobcat, I'm personally going to wait for shot info

Yea I was readin that. You brought up some good points for both schools, but it sure did sound like you were leaning toward NYMC ;).

My favorite response was this:

even though its in nyc , nymc doesnt have as a good a rep as you might think.. also, creighton even for an east coaster is well known as a good school

Thanks for the facts, genius.

I personally am not too worried about bad lectures. I'm an engineering student, and have been flooded with terrible professors throughout my undergraduate career. I'm used to independent learning now and will probably be one of the kids who never show up to class :D.

I do think I'm leaning to NYMC right now, it's just hard to say no to a school that really is also really good.

It's true that in undergrad I was never the type of person that cared if a professor was good or bad. I still went to most classes...depending on the class....even if the professor was bad, but I don't think any school will have all amazing professors. As long as they are understandable...honestly, i hate it when you get a professor that you have no idea what half the words they are saying are. I'm not trying to say "i hate professors w/ accents"....as an italian myself (no real accent though), but it's so annoying when you don't know what they are saying! My biochem professor...honestly for about one month I could not figure this out...he was saying juugAR, and I was getting so frustrated. Then when reading the book on my own I finally put it together...SUGAR. Imagine a biochem class where you can't understand the work sugar. It was probably every 6th word :rolleyes:

I do think I'm leaning to NYMC right now, it's just hard to say no to a school that really is also really good.

It's true that in undergrad I was never the type of person that cared if a professor was good or bad. I still went to most classes...depending on the class....even if the professor was bad, but I don't think any school will have all amazing professors. As long as they are understandable...honestly, i hate it when you get a professor that you have no idea what half the words they are saying are. I'm not trying to say "i hate professors w/ accents"....as an italian myself (no real accent though), but it's so annoying when you don't know what they are saying! My biochem professor...honestly for about one month I could not figure this out...he was saying juugAR, and I was getting so frustrated. Then when reading the book on my own I finally put it together...SUGAR. Imagine a biochem class where you can't understand the work sugar. It was probably every 6th word :rolleyes:

With all due respect, I am hoping to get an acceptance to NYMC, so if you decide to go elsewhere, it could potentialy open the door for me. So dont feel guilty about not going, because you will be helping someone else out in the process.:thumbup: :D

With all due respect, I am hoping to get an acceptance to NYMC, so if you decide to go elsewhere, it could potentialy open the door for me. So dont feel guilty about not going, because you will be helping someone else out in the process.:thumbup: :D

:laugh: very very true though. Sorry for holding spots, i know how annoying it can be as I was on many WLs my prior 2 cycles, but now I can see why ppl hold onto spots. At least there's a cut off :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey C.P.,
I'm not sure what the prof's are like at Creighton, or what makes them so amazing, but I can tell you that no matter where you go you are likely to have some great teachers, and some that are so so. NYMC is no different. However, I found most of the professors to be very good. Since we are not a research powerhouse, many of the course directors actually love to teach (rather than feel forced to do it as an obilgation to the university). The anatomy course director is amazing. A new prof took over cell bio/histo last year, and he is very student oriented. Many of the physio lecturers are awesome. You will not find a more devoted course director anywhere than the guy who runs Pathology throughout second year. Of course, biochem will be boring no matter who teaches it, and in the past the pharm lecturers have not been that great. The thing is, on any given day you may get a couple great lectures, a couple of boring ones, or one of each. I think mentoring is a personal thing, and is different from person to person within a school as well as school to school. I think most people here think the faculty are supportive, but I can't speak for everyone...it seems like you have thought about all of the pros and cons of these two schools - small differences won't really end up making a big difference. Go with your gut. Go where you felt most comfortable.

thanks so much Universe. I really really appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure this is what my gut is saying:

NYMC over Creighton, I require a large body of water around me, and family nearby....I would like to stay close to home, and this is a good place that I'm still far enough to be independent.

If I get into UConn, it would be stupid of me not to go there, so UConn trumps all if I get off the WL.

If I get off VCU's WL, that would be a good one to consider since it would be on par w/ NYMC and also east coast, but no need to think about that now.

I'd probably say no to Tufts and UVM since they cost even more than NYMC.

One last question, and then I think I have exhausted everything I can ask regarding making a decision. Do you know how much it costs to live in NYC, including roommates? I won't base what I said above w/ this question...I just want to know since I've never lived in a city, esp. one like NYC. I was thinking about it, how I can leave my car in CT at home, and stop my insurance...that would save 2K a year...around 3K w/ gas/maintenance, and have my parents just drive it around once in a while to keep it running. So although NYC is more exp. to live in, i'm guessing I can save a lot in other ways.

do you guys have intramurals?

I know that NYMC offers the dorms, and it's great way of fostering community. But if you live off-campus, do you lose the opportunity for that same feeling? (Having camaraderie with all your classmates, getting to know everyone, etc.) Also, is there any on-campus housing alternative that isn't the dorms? I simply had a very tainted experience in college, and although NYMC might be completely different, I'd still like to look at other options.

hey, its looking more and more like nymc is going to be the place for me. Just wondering, if any of you who have decided on nymc chose between more than 1 school, how did you make your decision? what made you choose nymc? I really like the atmosphere there, nice people, good learning environment, and like the fact that you can do clinicals in nyc, but beable to do your first 2 years outside of the city, less distractions and all. What did you guys think?

hey, its looking more and more like nymc is going to be the place for me. Just wondering, if any of you who have decided on nymc chose between more than 1 school, how did you make your decision? what made you choose nymc? I really like the atmosphere there, nice people, good learning environment, and like the fact that you can do clinicals in nyc, but beable to do your first 2 years outside of the city, less distractions and all. What did you guys think?

Peaceful, clean, learning environment,

NYC,

Super close to home,

Great board scores and match list, which puts me at ease knowing that as long as I do well in school, I can still match somewhere that a kid in a top 20 school can match into.

And I'm about to get my first car (though I've been driving my dad's for like 6 years), so I'm really excited that I'll have all that parking and opportunity to drive. Seriously, lol.

I know that NYMC offers the dorms, and it's great way of fostering community. But if you live off-campus, do you lose the opportunity for that same feeling? (Having camaraderie with all your classmates, getting to know everyone, etc.) Also, is there any on-campus housing alternative that isn't the dorms? I simply had a very tainted experience in college, and although NYMC might be completely different, I'd still like to look at other options.

Two on-campus living options for a first year: 4 person furnished apartments ("Dorms") and 2 BR unfurnished apartments ("Married housing"). Your chances of getting a studio are slim-to-none as a first year and the 1 BR apts are given to married couples first.

You can get that camaraderie even if you live off campus, but it tends to be at a decreased level because you've still got to drive home after the parties instead of staying up until 4-5 AM. You can still make friends and live a "normal" social life, but you can also escape from it too.

do you guys have intramurals?

yep, Basketball, Softball and Football are the biggies though it's looking like no one has picked up the softball torch from the second years thus far.

New York, New York, New York. My girlfriend will be doing her 3rd and 4th year clinicals in Newark and then hopefully either EM or OB residency in NYC, so its a huge bonus to be closer to her. Also, New York is just better than any other city, ever.

New York, New York, New York. My girlfriend will be doing her 3rd and 4th year clinicals in Newark and then hopefully either EM or OB residency in NYC, so its a huge bonus to be closer to her. Also, New York is just better than any other city, ever.

I dunno man, Omaha is pretty sweet in comparison...:rolleyes:

Omaha? How can you even compare Omaha and Valhalla? Omaha is in the middle of corn fields. You could go cow tipping for fun. Valhalla.... close to NYC enough said.

Omaha? How can you even compare Omaha and Valhalla? Omaha is in the middle of corn fields. You could go cow tipping for fun. Valhalla.... close to NYC enough said.

A wee bit of sarcasm for those of you choosing between Creighton and NYMC. And surprisingly the bars in Omaha are alot of fun because there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO BUT DRINK

It's New York. Enough said.

(But if you really do want more, my brother lives in Manhattan, I like the consistently impressive residency match list, high board scores, ridiculous anatomy lab, and the fact that a lot of CA students go there. According to my interviewer, NYMC's nickname is UC Valhalla.)

Two on-campus living options for a first year: 4 person furnished apartments ("Dorms") and 2 BR unfurnished apartments ("Married housing"). Your chances of getting a studio are slim-to-none as a first year and the 1 BR apts are given to married couples first.

You can get that camaraderie even if you live off campus, but it tends to be at a decreased level because you've still got to drive home after the parties instead of staying up until 4-5 AM. You can still make friends and live a "normal" social life, but you can also escape from it too.

What are the chances of getting a 2 BR unfurnished apartment if you aren't married? Is it uncommon?

The unfurnished apartments are called 'married' housing but you don't have to be married to live there. However, married people are given preference in it. If you request unfurnished living, and the usual number of married people move in (which is usually a small amount), you will most likely get it. It's actually harder to get the 'dorm style living'.

dear class of 2011,

I made a facebook group called:

New York Medical College - Class of 2011

join now, there is no option...just join.

It's 2 am...why am i doing this now??? :confused:

edit: i'd link it, but I don't know if the link will work for everyone or not since it says my network in it....just search for that name.

for some reason the group doesn't come up if you search for the full thing, but "NYMC 2011" works. Anyway, I'm sure you will all be able to guess which one of the 2 ppl I am!

for some reason the group doesn't come up if you search for the full thing, but "NYMC 2011" works. Anyway, I'm sure you will all be able to guess which one of the 2 ppl I am!

This is tough, I give up.:D

I just withdrew from NYMC this morning, so goodluck to someone on the waitlist. I'm a little sad I won't be attending NYMC next year but every med school has some great things about it and sadly we only get to pick one.

I just withdrew from NYMC this morning, so goodluck to someone on the waitlist. I'm a little sad I won't be attending NYMC next year but every med school has some great things about it and sadly we only get to pick one.

awwwww, that sounds like a rejection letter :(

good luck at GW :D :luck:

awwwww, that sounds like a rejection letter :(

good luck at GW :D :luck:

No, no rejection letter yet. Haven't even had my last interview yet. But my first thought along side the ecstatic idea of staying in California for med school was "aww but I really liked GW's program." So even if I do get rejected from UC Irvine at least it helped me finalize my decision of where I wanted to go so I could free up some spaces for others.

No, no rejection letter yet. Haven't even had my last interview yet. But my first thought along side the ecstatic idea of staying in California for med school was "aww but I really liked GW's program." So even if I do get rejected from UC Irvine at least it helped me finalize my decision of where I wanted to go so I could free up some spaces for others.

:laugh: I actually meant that your last post was a rejection letter to us and NYMC :)

I just saw your mdapps and saw about Irvine. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be really nice, but at least you have GW finalized. I really loved that school when I interviewed there last year. Awesome facilities and program. I'm guessing Irvine will save you a lot of money though...in addition to being a Cali school, which I guess are near impossible to get into even for CA people.

which hospitals do 3rd/4th year take place in??? There's a lot of them listed...as far as I know...Westchester Med, St. Vincent's, Met, but there's so many more!

which hospitals do 3rd/4th year take place in??? There's a lot of them listed...as far as I know...Westchester Med, St. Vincent's, Met, but there's so many more!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4716324&postcount=39

yea seems Westchester Med, St. Vincents, Met, Danbury, and Our Lady Mercy are the most popular.

Heh I feel like U_E has answered all of our questions already... I was reading back and he was talkin about intramurals and jogging paths, all questions we've been asking recently

The unfurnished apartments are called 'married' housing but you don't have to be married to live there. However, married people are given preference in it. If you request unfurnished living, and the usual number of married people move in (which is usually a small amount), you will most likely get it. It's actually harder to get the 'dorm style living'.

Hey,
I was wondering if you can get a one bedroom apartment if youre not married? My girlfriend will be coming with me to NY, but I called the housing office and they said if I wasnt married, and she wasnt a student (which she is not), then I would have to look for off campus housing. Any advice?
Thanks,
Kevin P.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4716324&postcount=39

yea seems Westchester Med, St. Vincents, Met, Danbury, and Our Lady Mercy are the most popular.

Heh I feel like U_E has answered all of our questions already... I was reading back and he was talkin about intramurals and jogging paths, all questions we've been asking recently

:laugh: thx Rob, i didn't check, but i wouldn't be surprised if i had asked it too. great info in that though, thx Universe

Has anyone gotten anything from NYMC since the Financial Aid e-mail a couple of weeks ago?
Argh, why can't they send out this "stuff" already?

Has anyone gotten anything from NYMC since the Financial Aid e-mail a couple of weeks ago?
Argh, why can't they send out this "stuff" already?

Hey,
In that email it gives you the username and password to do everything online, i think we just have to complete the packet print it out, and send it in with the other stuff it requested (tax forms, loan forms, credit report, etc) by April 30th. Then it said the second part wont be coming out for us (class of 2011) until atleast mid June (june 14th i think it said). So it looks like thats it for awhile.
kevin p

does anyone know about scholarships? as in when/if they are given and what they are given for?

does anyone know about scholarships? as in when/if they are given and what they are given for?

I believe merit-based scholarships are included with your acceptance packet if you qualify.

When I called in March about scholarships, the admissions office said they hadn't reviewed any files for merit scholarships yet. So I believe its included if you get a later acceptance.

Hey,
In that email it gives you the username and password to do everything online, i think we just have to complete the packet print it out, and send it in with the other stuff it requested (tax forms, loan forms, credit report, etc) by April 30th. Then it said the second part wont be coming out for us (class of 2011) until atleast mid June (june 14th i think it said). So it looks like thats it for awhile.
kevin p

Thanks. I actually didn't mean the second half of the loan stuff, but more info on orientation/classes/housing/shots et al.

When I called the Admissions office a while ago they said everything would come out starting with the loan stuff, basically one piece of info a week or so. I called the Health Center (or whatever it is called, I forget) to ask about shots/titers and they said they've given all the info to the Admissions office (its their job to send it all out). So yes, I'm being a pain in the tush about getting all this info, but in my defense my job sucks and I have nothing else to do during the day besides trying to get info from NYMC and getting frustrated when I don't get it.

Does anyone know why NYMC has such a bad rep on SDN? Also, how do east coast schools view NYMC? From the matchlist I could see people matched to east coast and west coast schools. How about the midwest? Did people just not want to go to the midwest? Or didn't get midwest residencies?

Does anyone know why NYMC has such a bad rep on SDN? Also, how do east coast schools view NYMC? From the matchlist I could see people matched to east coast and west coast schools. How about the midwest? Did people just not want to go to the midwest? Or didn't get midwest residencies?

Well, first you need to take into consideration that the majority of people on SDN are gunning for the top 20 schools. Most these people don't even take the time to look into what NYMC is about and will dismiss it immediately as a safety for them.

Also, you need to look at all the other schools NYMC is surrounded by. Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, Stony Brook, Downstate, all schools which have amazing reputations on SDN for good reason. To say NYMC is "better" than all of them would be false. It's also just as expensive as the top NYC schools if not more expensive. If it was as cheap as Downstate, I'd say it could get a MUCH better reputation here and people wouldn't constantly be saying NYMC is the bottom of NYC schools. Cuz quite frankly, I think the only thing Downstate wins with is $$$. If you plopped NYMC in the middle of Drexel, Temple, RFU, SLU, VCU, EVMS, etc, it could actually come out winning. So it's all relative.

As for the whole midwest thing... I think most of NYMC's students are either from Cali or from NYC, which is why most people will be matching back into those places after they graduate. If you want to match back to the mid-west, I'm sure it's completely possible.

Hope this helps

Quick question, did you guys receive a confirmation email for receipt of your finaid materials? Just want to make sure they've received my stuff... I hate calling offices of any kind. If they don't e-mail i'll be forced to call em tomorrow :cool:

I got an e-mail saying they received my materials and also that my FAFSA needed to be corrected. I submitted it in early feb b/c my other schools had a march 1st deadline for financial aid. So, I had to use estimated values for my parent's tax return. So it had to be corrected to match the exact values. I would just send them an e-mail confirming they got all of your forms.