NYMC c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone. I got into NYMC last month but had no idea that this forum existed! Just wanted to say hello and see you all in August! (Also, just wondering what everyone is thinking regarding 3 bedroom vs. 4 bedrooms in the grasslands apts???) Thanks!

There really is no decision for the 3 BR vs 4 BR apartments because the three bedroom apartments are very limited in number. They're in the same buildings, always on the first floor and generally taken up by PT students. There are two styles: handicapped and not handicapped, the only difference being that the handicapped rooms have an ENORMOUS bedroom with it's own bathroom inside of the room itself and the normal 3 BR's have normally sized rooms and two bathrooms, though they tend to be next to the entrances to the building and therefore a bit louder than living upstairs.

My advice: put down a 3BR as your first choice and 4BR as your second, and expect to be living in a 4BR

Members don't see this ad.

So if I call the housing department, do you think it will be possible to move my stuff, or at least drop it off at dorm room on the 27th? I wanted to go visit some friends in NYC but I DO NOT want my car in NYC. If yes, who should I ask to speak with in order to arrange this?

They can arrange an earlier move-in date. I spoke to Holly in the Housing office. Her number is 914-594-4832.

Hey y'all. Those of you who live in NY and the surrounding areas I have a question about cars. I am considering selling my truck and buying a cheap accord or civic for my time at NYMC, but I am weary of purchasing a car in the north east. I wouldn't be familiar with the problems such as rust. This would save me from the drive, and I don't think my truck will be of much utility in the snow. Buying from carmax would give me some piece of mind. What do y'all suggest?

It doesn't snow that much in Westchester, (sadly, since snow days are the best!) And, since school is right by the hospital, if there is a big snow storm, they will clear those streets in a jiffy. I knew lots of people with trucks, and it worked just fine. As for taking care of the car, just get it washed frequently. I actually think it is better to just drive your existing car to the ground, and buy a new one when you actually need a new one. Save whatever money you can is my suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a fee to keep cars on campus? If so, who do we contact/ how much do we pay for the car to remain on campus for the year?

for the first 2 years (and the next 2 if you're westchester based for rotations), parking is free. You pay something like 10 bux for a parking card, and then get refunded after you give it back. It's a pretty sweet deal.

for the first 2 years (and the next 2 if you're westchester based for rotations), parking is free. You pay something like 10 bux for a parking card, and then get refunded after you give it back. It's a pretty sweet deal.

That is a sweet deal! At my undergrad university parking was $1000 per year!

It doesn't snow that much in Westchester, (sadly, since snow days are the best!) And, since school is right by the hospital, if there is a big snow storm, they will clear those streets in a jiffy. I knew lots of people with trucks, and it worked just fine. As for taking care of the car, just get it washed frequently. I actually think it is better to just drive your existing car to the ground, and buy a new one when you actually need a new one. Save whatever money you can is my suggestion.

Dropping $60k/year catches up with you REALLY quickly....

I'm from the snow belt of MA and the snow we get down here is really not all that bad, although the snow removal isn't quite up to my lofty Bay State standards.

CP Jones, i've been playinig ultimate for a few years in college and i would be happy to throw a disc around with you.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking at my options.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

Hey guys, I apologize if this question has already been asked but should I get a laptop or stick to my desktop from college? does anyone know what current NYMC students have?

Hey all. This question is directed more toward current students. My wife trying to get a job up in the Valhalla area right now. She's got medical receptionist experience, and was hoping to find that sort of work close to the college. Anyone know who would be a good contact w/in the school for that sort of thing? She found job posting site for NYMC, but it doesn't appear to be updated frequently. Any good advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get the step 2 financial aid stuff? Also, when will we find out our class schedule? I just want my NYMC email address already!

Hey all. This question is directed more toward current students. My wife trying to get a job up in the Valhalla area right now. She's got medical receptionist experience, and was hoping to find that sort of work close to the college. Anyone know who would be a good contact w/in the school for that sort of thing? She found job posting site for NYMC, but it doesn't appear to be updated frequently. Any good advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the hospital that is located on campus: http://www.wcmc.com/

There are tons of health care related businesses/doctors offices between here and White Plains (10 minutes away). She should be able to find something. You might be able to get some help from the dean of students ([email protected]) or from Tony Sozzo ([email protected]) in the financial aid office...he does alot of random things around the school and might be able to help you.

Hi, is anyone ordering their anatomy/histology books this summer or waiting until orientation? im wondering if they sell out of them or there are crazy long lines in the bookstore...thanks!

Hi, is anyone ordering their anatomy/histology books this summer or waiting until orientation? im wondering if they sell out of them or there are crazy long lines in the bookstore...thanks!

They order plenty of books for the first years, so no they don't run out and there's less than 200 of you buying books, so if you wait until a little bit later on in orientation week or even after classes start you'll have no problem getting what you need.

I'd recommend waiting on the books until you get here...there will be upperclassmen looking to dump their books for cheap and there's a used book sale put on by AMWA that gave me a few of the books that I was looking for cheaply. Plus you might want to take a look at the suggested books in the library before you drop hundreds of dollars on books that you might not use. To be completely honest, I bought the histo book and I don't think that I cracked it more than 3 times for the entire block.

Where did you get that schedule??

That schedule is on the DCDB (Digital Curriculum Data Base)...you"ll come to know and love it soon enough

my housing app just got sent out in the mail and there are already ppl on the housing waitlist, so i am guessing its off campus for me. anyone need a housemate? i'm going to start looking on craigslist.

Here's the hospital that is located on campus: http://www.wcmc.com/

There are tons of health care related businesses/doctors offices between here and White Plains (10 minutes away). She should be able to find something. You might be able to get some help from the dean of students ([email protected]) or from Tony Sozzo ([email protected]) in the financial aid office...he does alot of random things around the school and might be able to help you.

Thanks!

my housing app just got sent out in the mail and there are already ppl on the housing waitlist, so i am guessing its off campus for me. anyone need a housemate? i'm going to start looking on craigslist.

How did people find out they were on the waitlist?
Thanks,

Does anyone know if there are closets in the 4 bedroom shared apartments? So far I'm under the impression all we get is a dresser.

Can anyone comment on the cellular reception of T-mobile and AT&T on campus and in the classes / dorms?

Can anyone comment on the cellular reception of T-mobile and AT&T on campus and in the classes / dorms?

Verizon has great reception, AT&T has dead spots in the dorms...not sure about T-mobile

Does anyone know if there are closets in the 4 bedroom shared apartments? So far I'm under the impression all we get is a dresser.

We have a 6' wide closet with 2 rows of shelves on the top of it. There is also a shared coat closet in the common room.

Does anyone know when we are getting the online step 2 for financial aid?

I got and filled mine out a while ago, depending on when you submitted step one, you might want to give fin. aid a call.

Hi, does anyone know if we can bring a guest on the boat cruise? thanks!

I'm not sure, I think I'm going to try and bring my wife. You might get an answer or the facebook NYMC 2011 group. This thread has kind of died and moved over there, although, there aren't any helpful 2nd 3rd or 4th years answering questions over there, like they do here. :)

I'm not sure, I think I'm going to try and bring my wife. You might get an answer or the facebook NYMC 2011 group. This thread has kind of died and moved over there, although, there aren't any helpful 2nd 3rd or 4th years answering questions over there, like they do here. :)

I don't remember if spouses were allowed...sorry

Spouses are allowed (and encouraged) to attend all orientation events. If you live on campus, spouses get their own ID badge, and essentially have the same rights as students. I highly encourage married students to bring their spouse to all of these events and meet the rest of your class...

Other "guests" are usually welcome to go to orientation and other school events, but the boat cruise has a capped number of spaces, so they are not allowed unless it's a very special circumstance.

are the walls in the 4 bedroom shared apartments capable of having pictures hung on them? Or are they all brick?

hello there NYMC prospectives or current students or residents!!

anyone wanting an off campus residency give me a call. 9174779345

only a few miles from the medical center!!

:cool:

Is there anyone here who wrote a letter of interest to the school post-interview?

I interviewed on the 26th and loved NYMC. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What are the textbooks for NYMC MS1 classes?

How is the course material distributed? Through powerpoints from a website or is there some other way?

Hey guys,

I'll be an incoming first year this August, and was just curious if any of you are interested in selling your microscope or first-year books to me. PM me if so.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you soon!