NYCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some LDB students must also rely more on reading than listening/streaming though right? Unless the exams are completely based on lecture material..

Is there any small group/discussion based/problems solving component to the LDB track?

DPC is a very intriguing learning method for me... I am just not sure how we would know what's important to learn and what's not if we are deciding what to learn ourselves, and that worries me.

If your case involves a person taking an aspirin for a headache, for example, you may want to know the pharm of aspirin and the physiology of pain. But before that, you may also need to find out how nerve conduction and action potentials work. If the learning issues are specific, there will be no problem finding information in a textbook.

Members don't see this ad.

If I had gone to class and had to listen to Larry stepp on normal speed instead of streaming him on doublespeed I'd have slit my wrists.

I can't doublespeed, it makes everybody sound effing crazy to me - distracting as hell!! I'd rather just go to class.

I'm also a slacker and completely lack motivation, if I didn't go to class I probably wouldn't stream, either. I'd just do NOTHING. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the commute time reply. I'm actually going to start looking at some apartments this wednesday. maybe sticking to Syosset.

If I had gone to class and had to listen to Larry stepp on normal speed instead of streaming him on doublespeed I'd have slit my wrists.

hahahah i do the same thing!!

Game 2 vs. the Knicks tonight... GO CELTICS!!

Knicks lost $%@$%@$%@$%@
twice whats up with that

C'mon game 3 turn the game around

Hey SdNers,

What are the banks down on LI and specifically in Glen Cove area? I'm in upstate. Currently, I have M & T, but there is Chase, HSBC, Bank of America, and Key Bank around.

Hey does anyone know if we should include parents' tax info on the fafsa? I know we are considered independent and therefore not required to but it says somewhere in the fafsa that some health profession schools may require it.

Hey does anyone know if we should include parents' tax info on the fafsa? I know we are considered independent and therefore not required to but it says somewhere in the fafsa that some health profession schools may require it.

I included it since I've heard something similar... that some considerations are based on parents' income even if we are independent

What's the bike share program like? Do people actually use it?

Could anyone comment on how choosing clinical rotations works?
I heard the program is Matchstix...can a student choose to rotate at one hospital only? What happen if they don't get the hospital they want; can they switch?

Thanks!

Are most lectures given as PDF format? Thinking if I should get an I pad to bring to school and study with. I feel like you can't beat the portability.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard something about the class of 2015 getting an ipad is this true?

It's the other way around - DPC students seem to rely more on reading textbooks than LDB students. I'm on the LDB track, and we, for the most part, only study whatever notes the professors provide for us before lecture. The textbooks are usually just supplemental/reference material (except in the case of a certain 3 or 4 professors that like to take questions from the textbook reading). 98% of the time though, I'd say, we're only tested on the material from the lecture/lecture notes, and people usually rely on streaming. I personally HATE streaming - I do better just going to class, reading the notes (and occasionally the textbooks for clarification), & taking notes in my words to study from.

christina thanks for all the info. It sure is helping me prepare for the fall. I am assuming having notes provided assists students in focusing in on important concepts for lecture and subsequent exams. I was curious on these notes assisting for board prep? And if students will try to also focus in on textbooks for preparation as well? Since DPC students rely on textbooks mostly, I was hoping you might be able to comment a little more on textbook use for preparation for level 1 (if you have prepared) or if you have friends who have already prepared/taken. obviously this is ways away for me, I was just curious.

if you call the financial aid office at nycom they will tell you NOT to include your parents financial info for loan purposes.

also rotations can be done at one hospital or many different hospitals your choice. I heard it is easier to get a hospital of choice if you choose to do it at one hospital.
however at this years rotation info meeting people who said they chose a different hospital for each rotation usually got placed in one of their top 3-4 choices

christina thanks for all the info. It sure is helping me prepare for the fall. I am assuming having notes provided assists students in focusing in on important concepts for lecture and subsequent exams. I was curious on these notes assisting for board prep? And if students will try to also focus in on textbooks for preparation as well? Since DPC students rely on textbooks mostly, I was hoping you might be able to comment a little more on textbook use for preparation for level 1 (if you have prepared) or if you have friends who have already prepared/taken. obviously this is ways away for me, I was just curious.

It IS still ways away, but I've also been thinking a lot about Level1/Step1 and what I should do next summer already! I am so excited about starting!

Hi I am in Med prep too! :) Housing for the summer program is expensive!

Hi everyone, I will be attending the MED PREP I Summer Program too.
1. I'd like to know if anyone can tell what this summer program is about.
2. When exactly do you get to choose between LDB/DPC tracks?
3. Any good advice about the right student loan?
4. In the immunization form, what to fill out in the ID# ?

Last edited:
Officially coming to NYCOM! Just pinging a hello to everyone. Hope its okay that I'm a big Boston fan...:p Does the class of 2015 have a facebook page?

Anyone willing to sublet their apartment for the month of June. Let me know asap please.

Officially coming to NYCOM! Just pinging a hello to everyone. Hope its okay that I'm a big Boston fan...:p Does the class of 2015 have a facebook page?

Hey just wondering, did you get your letter of acceptance today? And if so when did you interview? Thanks and congratulations!

Hey just wondering, did you get your letter of acceptance today? And if so when did you interview? Thanks and congratulations!

No sorry, I got in awhile ago, but was letting my status with other schools sort themselves out. Wish you the best if you're still waiting!

Congrats. Dont worry, Boston fan here. I have lived in New England for awhile...Where are you coming from?

They sent the application for DPC in the mail like a month ago. I think you can apply for the DPC program again at the end of the first year not positive on that though

4. In the immunization form, what to fill out in the ID#
I called the office they said do not worry about that..

Congrats. Dont worry, Boston fan here. I have lived in New England for awhile...Where are you coming from?

I love seeing Bosron fans come to NYCOM! I'm graduating in less than 3 weeks but welcome and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

They sent the application for DPC in the mail like a month ago. I think you can apply for the DPC program again at the end of the first year not positive on that though

4. In the immunization form, what to fill out in the ID#
I called the office they said do not worry about that..

thanks!!!

You need to apply before school. If you are accepted and choose to enroll, then you have until the end of the Intro course to choose lecture or DPC. After this, you are locked in to either curriculum.

If your case involves a person taking an aspirin for a headache, for example, you may want to know the pharm of aspirin and the physiology of pain. But before that, you may also need to find out how nerve conduction and action potentials work. If the learning issues are specific, there will be no problem finding information in a textbook.

Can you please tell us a bit more about how you are examined in DPC track?, how is the grading system?
I have been reading in the forum that in the LDB track you are mostly quizzed based on the notes given to you. How does it work in DPC?

1. I'd like to know if anyone can tell what this summer program is about.2. When exactly do you get to choose between LDB/DPC tracks?
3. Any good advice about the right student loan?4. In the immunization form, what to fill out in the ID# ?

1) This year's summer program, from what I have been told, is new. Students are already accepted for the fall, but because of a grant from the government, the students chosen for the MED PREP summer program have to go through it anyway, to fulfill the grant's purpose. It is for economically and/or educationally disadvantaged students -- not necessarily students that may have had a lower GPA or MCAT, but students who may have had a difficult time in the past due to their background, parent struggled financially, etc. This year, all students chosen in MED PREP were told that they are officially in for the fall (that's the new aspect of the program). Everyone has told me its a superb program to go through, that the curriculum is integrated well and amazing. I have not heard any negative review thus far. And this year it should even be better because the students know that they are already accepted. It's because of the really competitive applicant cycle this year, NYCOM got really impressive applications so they felt that the students chosen for MED PREP would utilize the program for enrichment, exposure, and guidance -- not to see if they can handle/make it into med school. So this year's program is supposed to be innovated and really a great complement to the students.

3) Speak to Tanya from Financial Aid. She's hands down the best person to speak to.

Last edited:
Haha yay for swimmers indeed, but nothing besides YMCA huh? The Y is just soo expensive!

Ya not cheap! Maybe health insurance will pay part of it?

Google tells me there is also one at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow (need to be resident of Nassau County)... For me the problem is going to be actually getting to the pool. I feel like unless I live very close by I will not be motivated to spend precious studying time driving there and back! I might stick with running =/

1) This year's summer program, from what I have been told, is new. Students are already accepted for the fall, but because of a grant from the government, the students chosen for the MED PREP summer program have to go through it anyway, to fulfill the grant's purpose. It is for economically and/or educationally disadvantaged students -- not necessarily students that may have had a lower GPA or MCAT, but students who may have had a difficult time in the past due to their background, parent struggled financially, etc. This year, all students chosen in MED PREP were told that they are officially in for the fall (that's the new aspect of the program). Everyone has told me its a superb program to go through, that the curriculum is integrated well and amazing. I have not heard any negative review thus far. And this year it should even be better because the students know that they are already accepted. It's because of the really competitive applicant cycle this year, NYCOM got really impressive applications so they felt that the students chosen for MED PREP would utilize the program for enrichment, exposure, and guidance -- not to see if they can handle/make it into med school. So this year's program is supposed to be innovated and really a great complement to the students.

3) Speak to Tanya from Financial Aid. She's hands down the best person to speak to.

You have been helpful, thanks!!

Can you please tell us a bit more about how you are examined in DPC track?, how is the grading system?
I have been reading in the forum that in the LDB track you are mostly quizzed based on the notes given to you. How does it work in DPC?

To get the easy stuff out of the way, grading is the same as lecture. Pass/Fail, honors is a bit different since it is a smaller set of students, but not so important. In DPC, we have our Content exams. These are hulking exams consisting of a good portion of multiple choice, short answer (maybe a sentence or two or just a word), fill in the blank or even matching, with short essays. I use the term "essay" very loosely. It can be just listing details or asking for pathways or mechanism of action, but never will it be a nice intro, body, conclusion deal. Since our learning is different, what we get tested on is a bit different too. With our cases, groups choose learning issues pertinent to the case. Between the groups, there is overlap of these issues, if all 4 groups overlap, they get called "Commons" because all the groups have done the same issue. Then sometimes there are only 3 groups, 2 groups or 1 group doing certain issues and these are "Uniques". The bulk of the test is common learning issue which are told to us and what you should focus on for studying. Then you have to gauge yourself what other issues might be tested on. Yes, it makes studying that much harder, but it keeps most things fresh in your mind then. Basically whatever pharmacology is done, even by one group, makes it in the exam. So the common section of the test, all questions must be answered. Then in subsequent sections, you will be presented a number of issues, and get to choose maybe 3 of 5 to answer or out of 25 multiple choice, you answer 15 points worth. I know this sounds insane and borderline psychotic, but it is totally worth it in my opinion. Everyone in med school is crazy, we just raise the bar. Don't hesitate to pm for more DPC craziness.

To get the easy stuff out of the way, grading is the same as lecture. Pass/Fail, honors is a bit different since it is a smaller set of students, but not so important. In DPC, we have our Content exams. These are hulking exams consisting of a good portion of multiple choice, short answer (maybe a sentence or two or just a word), fill in the blank or even matching, with short essays. I use the term "essay" very loosely. It can be just listing details or asking for pathways or mechanism of action, but never will it be a nice intro, body, conclusion deal. Since our learning is different, what we get tested on is a bit different too. With our cases, groups choose learning issues pertinent to the case. Between the groups, there is overlap of these issues, if all 4 groups overlap, they get called "Commons" because all the groups have done the same issue. Then sometimes there are only 3 groups, 2 groups or 1 group doing certain issues and these are "Uniques". The bulk of the test is common learning issue which are told to us and what you should focus on for studying. Then you have to gauge yourself what other issues might be tested on. Yes, it makes studying that much harder, but it keeps most things fresh in your mind then. Basically whatever pharmacology is done, even by one group, makes it in the exam. So the common section of the test, all questions must be answered. Then in subsequent sections, you will be presented a number of issues, and get to choose maybe 3 of 5 to answer or out of 25 multiple choice, you answer 15 points worth. I know this sounds insane and borderline psychotic, but it is totally worth it in my opinion. Everyone in med school is crazy, we just raise the bar. Don't hesitate to pm for more DPC craziness.

A downside of this is that you may encounter on the exam a term that you have never seen before. I have answered a question on an exam with the phrase "what is this?". The question writers have no idea what sources you are using, and you don't know what they may ask. Sometimes you just can't use three sources for every issue, so you try to do the best you can. I like the program because it takes me out of my comfort zone. Honestly, don't worry about the tests at all. If you go to lecture, you will surely get a lot more of them, though.

It does look crazy!!, thank you for replying

Hey Guys, this question is for any upperclassmen who has completed the summer med program. I know that NYCOM provides a stipend for students who complete the program, do you know how much they provide and is it money that goes straight into financial aid package or can student use it for other stuff like buying books, a laptop, etc. I am contemplating about getting an ipad or a laptop and I could really use this money. And whats the deal with students of class of 2015 getting an ipad, is this true or false? just curious. Any help would be much appreciated :)

hey everyone...i know many have been accepted but were there any acceptances recieved for the med prep program this week? i had interview on april 14 and havnt heard anything back...whats the chances of getting in? thank you

hey all!
I am looking to sell some books. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I downloaded and filled out the health insurance waivers online (posted on the WebBoard) but I don't know where to send them. Do any of you guys have any idea?

I am not having much luck in trying to access the WebBoard right now. It keeps telling me the log-in information is wrong even though I am typing what they told me to put in.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I downloaded and filled out the health insurance waivers online (posted on the WebBoard) but I don't know where to send them. Do any of you guys have any idea?

I am not having much luck in trying to access the WebBoard right now. It keeps telling me the log-in information is wrong even though I am typing what they told me to put in.

Thanks!

wow thanks for reminding me I completely forgot they emailed us about that

please forward the original documents to:

Office of Student Life
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYCOM III / Serota Academic Center – Room 214
Northern Blvd
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
Telephone: (516) 686-1293(516) 686-1293
Fax: (516) 686-3835

wow thanks for reminding me I completely forgot they emailed us about that

please forward the original documents to:

Office of Student Life
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYCOM III / Serota Academic Center – Room 214
Northern Blvd
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
Telephone: (516) 686-1293(516) 686-1293
Fax: (516) 686-3835

Thanks a lot xtina0! I figured I could get this out of the way since it's up. I wish they'd put more information up soon about Orientation! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats to the accepted fellow NYCOM students. If any of you is looking for an apartment to share please message me. We're currently looking for 1 more roommate. Our house is located in the quite neighborhood of glen cove(12mins from NYCOM), with a furnished kitchen,living room,laundry,2 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms.

Message me for more info. We prefer that you move in by june but exceptions can be made.

Good luck

Thanks a lot xtina0! I figured I could get this out of the way since it's up. I wish they'd put more information up soon about Orientation! :)

ahh! Thanks for the reminder!

So does anyone know if we can graduate with honors? If we can, do we have to have an "honor" for every class, or a certain number of "pass"es are allowed? Definitely not an overachiever here, but I'd like to aim high so I actually pass the classes :laugh:

Last edited:
Hey does anyone know if we get a "free" Netter's atlas with SOMA membership still? Just wondering before I start looking for one on Amazon. :)

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if we have anything major due besides the deposit, transcripts, immunization records, and possible application for DPC? Want to make sure I'm not forgetting something before orientation.

Did anyone receive an financial aid package in the mail? At this point, are we supposed to just go out and work on our own to pay our tuition for the year?