NYCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students know anything about the global health certificate? What kind of countries have students travelled to?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

When should we expect fin aid information? And how does health insurance work? Can we stay on our parents' health plans or do we have to take insurance through the school? And if we can stay on parents insurance, how do we notify NYCOM?

if i remember correctly, it will still be on the bill even if we waive it but will get reimbursed later.

Any current students know anything about the global health certificate? What kind of countries have students travelled to?

Thanks!

This year the students are going to Ghana & El Salvador (they have to choose one or the other).

I looked into the program, but it costs $5,000, which I'm not willing to part with, and the spring certificate course is held during the semester, and classes are from 5 - 8pm. After a full day of classes, I have no desire to sit through even more classes. There's a lot of reading involved, it's a really intensive course. I'm sure it's an amazing experience, but it all depends on if you can afford it & if you think you can handle the extra workload.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received new material from the school after the immunization sheet?

Does anyone know anything about the DO/MBA program at NYCOM? There doesnt seem to be so much info online. I'm wondering how much is it, when are courses taken, how many credits, do you need to take the GMATs, and is it online or in-class setting?

Can anyone share some insights on grading? I feel like I should probably know this already =P but NYCOM is pass/fail right? Is there high pass/pass/low pass... etc? Are we ranked? How do they draw the line between passing and failing i.e. scoring percentage, bottom 5% of the bell curve...?

I just finished a program where the grading system was very ambiguous so I am a little concerned about this. I know it might not matter as much as step 1 scores and letters... but would still like to know!

Thanks!!

Can anyone share some insights on grading? I feel like I should probably know this already =P but NYCOM is pass/fail right? Is there high pass/pass/low pass... etc? Are we ranked? How do they draw the line between passing and failing i.e. scoring percentage, bottom 5% of the bell curve...?

I just finished a program where the grading system was very ambiguous so I am a little concerned about this. I know it might not matter as much as step 1 scores and letters... but would still like to know!

Thanks!!

It's honors/pass/fail. I believe the administration does rank us, but we don't find out our ranks & it goes on your dean's letter (not sure if it's your exact rank or just your percentile, i.e. top 25& of the class, etc.) Failing is pretty much always ~70%, they do some weird math that I don't feel like trying to understand again to determine the passing grade - they'll explain all of that to you during orientation, though.

Hey Christina you have been helpful. I just wanted to know if you can tell us what the schedule is lokefor first years. Are we really in class from 8-5 everyday. Lol.
Thanks

Hey Christina you have been helpful. I just wanted to know if you can tell us what the schedule is lokefor first years. Are we really in class from 8-5 everyday. Lol.
Thanks

For the first half o the year the majority of days are from early in the morning (not ALWAYS 8) until 5, because of all the lectures & trying to fit in anatomy & OMM labs. After first semester though, the schedule lightens up quite a bit.

I'm not gonna lie, the days are long & it sucks, but you'll manage.

For the first half o the year the majority of days are from early in the morning (not ALWAYS 8) until 5, because of all the lectures & trying to fit in anatomy & OMM labs. After first semester though, the schedule lightens up quite a bit.

Thanks. Sounds scary. But I'm ready. Lol

Hey CarelleC. I'm from Queens, but I will be looking for a place to rent near NYCOM.

Sooo I got really ambitious and ordered the Rohen atlas and gray's anatomy for students online (super cheap at half.com) and waiting on grant's dissector. THESE. LOOK. SCARY. They are large and in charge, guys. They came in the mail yesterday and look so intense and overwhelming!

[Sarcasm]It's going to be a very funn time.[/sarcasm]

Do people skip lectures and instead go to the lib 9-5 and study at a more efficient pace, if that is one's preferred style? I know attendance is "mandatory," but it doesn't seem like it's a strict mandatory like other DO schools (i.e. no swiping cards etc.), and from what I hear the technology/recordings are very reliable...at the same time, I wouldn't want to be the odd man out that's looked down upon for skipping lectures

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo I got really ambitious and ordered the Rohen atlas and gray's anatomy for students online (super cheap at half.com) and waiting on grant's dissector. THESE. LOOK. SCARY. They are large and in charge, guys. They came in the mail yesterday and look so intense and overwhelming!

It's going to be fun, can't wait! Lol

Do people skip lectures and instead go to the lib 9-5 and study at a more efficient pace, if that is one's preferred style? I know attendance is "mandatory," but it doesn't seem like it's a strict mandatory like other DO schools (i.e. no swiping cards etc.), and from what I hear the technology/recordings are very reliable...at the same time, I wouldn't want to be the odd man out that's looked down upon for skipping lectures

In the beginning of 1st year you will be in the minority. Then more and more people progressively become streamers. In 2nd year about half the class are streamers.

Memorizing the books is not necessary you aren't in school to become an anatomist. Read grants and look up things you need to be clearer in the texts. Rohens is used to help find/ identify strictures and study. You will all be fine tons of students went through it before you, and NYCOMS anatomy staff are amazing and world renowned. The chairman Dr. Hill just identified the oldest found crocodile remains, from the prehistoric era, and identified a new species. Dr. Solunias can be found all over national geographic, etc...

In the beginning of 1st year you will be in the minority. Then more and more people progressively become streamers. In 2nd year about half the class are streamers.

yeah, there are a ton of people that you never see at school, EVER except for OMM lab. whatever works for you, just do it.

Seriously, you don't need to memorize them cover-to-cover. The Gray's anatomy book is more helpful for lecture than lab - I ended up reading every chapter, but memorization purposes - they have a ton of charts, etc that organize the information in such a convenient way for me. Keep that in mind for Musculoskeletal, when you need to know Origin/Insertion/Innervation/Action for every muscle - it made my life soooo much easier!!

As EMMED said already,don't panic. 300 students do it successfully every year, and you'll be no different! The Anatomy Dept profs are amazingly helpful & nice guys, and anatomy will come way easier to you than you think. That real life experience of getting dirty & dissecting will help you learn things you thought impossible when you see them in a book - it's all about 3-D structural relationships, and a flat book can only take you so far.

If it makes you feel better: on Day 1 of anatomy, I cried. I wouldn't touch the cadaver. I was absolutely disgusted by the whole thing :laugh:. A few weeks later, I was not only loving anatomy, but I was one of the best in my class. If I managed, then you guys can :)

lol LOVING the positive energy flowing around here

If it makes you feel better: on Day 1 of anatomy, I cried. I wouldn't touch the cadaver. I was absolutely disgusted by the whole thing :laugh:. A few weeks later, I was not only loving anatomy, but I was one of the best in my class. If I managed, then you guys can :)

Haha I won't lie, that does make me feel a little better. I'm not so worried about the dissecting, I just don't know how good a memorizer I am, but we shall see! You're right though, hundreds of people get by just fine, I'm sure I won't be the exception.

And I agree; LOVE the positive vibes! Let's keep 'em flowing!

You can stay on your parent's health plan if you are still eligible under their coverage. You can sign a NYCOM health insurance waiver form and provide proof of health insurance later (NYCOM will let you know how this can be done; basically sending them a copy of insurance card, which they will use it to verify your coverage by calling the insurance company). This will allow you to opt out of school's health insurance plan which costs around 4-5k/ year.

For those who are no longer covered under their parents' insurance plan for whatever reason (eg. age), you may consider applying medicaid (i.e., assuming you don't have substantial income previous year). This will help you save a few k.

Anyway, congrats everyone!!! Best of luck!!! . :luck:

do many people who can't be under their parents ins go the medicaid route?? because that does save about 16k for the four years

CUSE NATION!!! I graduated from syracuse university in 09.... i wonder how many syracuse students are in NYCOM Class of 2015....

I Need a list of the essential books I am going to need to survive my first year.. Please somebody help me

Hi Guys congrats to your admission to nycom!,
I'm currently a first year student- going for training with the navy over the summer and am looking for a med prep student to sublet my room- the apt's 7 minutes away from school- much closer than hofstra dorms, has a full kitchen ,bathroom, and living room for your use- hofstra dorms have no kitchen requiring you to buy food over the summer. There also is ample parking. please email me if your interested or have any questions at [email protected]-

The room is also available after the summer for students not participating in med prep- pictures are available upon request.

I also bought new sets of all the required first year books with my Navy stipend after I was commissioned later in the year- please contact me if your interested in buying some at a discounted / bundled price!

I wasn't in med prep but all students are free to contact me with any concerns/ questions you may have I remember how lost I was last year
Congrats again! enjoy your summers!

Last edited:
Hi Guys congrats to your admission to nycom!,
I'm currently a first year student- going for training with the navy over the summer and am looking for a med prep student to sublet my room- the apt's 7 minutes away from school- much closer than hofstra dorms, has a full kitchen ,bathroom, and living room for your use- hofstra dorms have no kitchen requiring you to buy food over the summer. There also is ample parking. please email me if your interested or have any questions at [email protected]-

The room is also available after the summer for students not participating in med prep- pictures are available upon request.

I also bought new sets of all the required first year books with my Navy stipend after I was commissioned later in the year- please contact me if your interested in buying some at a discounted / bundled price!

I wasn't in med prep but all students are free to contact me with any concerns/ questions you may have I remember how lost I was last year
Congrats again! enjoy your summers!
are you training through the military HPSP? i'm considering applying for the scholarship but am awaiting a call back from the recruiter. i come from a military family and looked into attended USUHS instead of going osteopath but i liked NYCOM so much more! i'd be interested in hearing more about your experience in the navy

Congrats everyone on getting accepted to NYCOM!!!!

I will be a second year at NYCOM this fall. I have one room available in my apartment that we are looking to rent out. The apartment is 7 mins from school, (in Glen Cove) 3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, central air, driveway, with two other NYCOM students. If you are interested and want pictures, more info, etc pm me.

Also, I am looking to sublet my room for the 6 week med prep program. I was in med prep myself last summer and I would have loved the option to sublet! So if you are interested in this please pm me as well!

And then if you want to move into my roommates room in the fall the move will be very short ;)

Anyone have any info on nearby gyms? I know NYCOM has a small one, but I'm more of a swimmer than a treadmill person, and I'd like to know if there are any gyms close by where I can go to backstroke some stress off or something.

I did ask about this once before, but I just wanted to add fire to the great mac vs Pc debate. I am in dire need of a new comp and just wasn't sure what to go with. Would I regret getting a mac in terms of not being able to use it on campus/watch lectures? Do you ever have to use CDs?

christina, boston, and nyemmed, just wanted to say thank you for all the help and advice :)

and i can't wait to meet all of you! i've heard horror stories from some med students i know about really cutthroat and unfriendly people in their class but i think us nycomers definitely lucked out of that situation :)

i'm really addicted to using smiley faces...

Waddup first years-to be?

I m glad to hear everybody is excited to start. I am almost done with this first year and it has been a great adventure.

I see you guys are already worrying about Immunology and OMM and Anatomy...trust me, DONT!

In my experience, I never stressed to the point where I jus couldnt take it anymore...most of you won't get to that point. Also, if you have a pre-conceived notion that med students need to study 8 hours a day to do well, well let me stop you right there, NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STUDY FOR 8 HOURS EVERYDAY...I don't, hell, i rarely make it to 4 hours

I understand everyone is different and some people may take longer time than others to grasp the concept, but killing yourself over it is not smart...

by the time you guys finish Intro to Osteopathic Medicine (the first "system", Anatomy lab will be jus another 3 hours in the morning/sometimes a lame afternoon...and the dreaded trifecta will still be the dreaded trifecta, but believe me, you will be fine

Let me try to make you feel better jus a little more...Nervous system ended on 3/28...today is 4/14...I am not lying to you guys when i say this, but I have NOT STUDIED ANYTHING SINCE NEURO ENDED...I have been to lectures regularly to keep up with the material, but after coming home, been working out, playing basketball and chatting with the gf...thats more than 2 weeks of relaxation which i feel i deserved after 3 months of neuro...our spring break starts tomorrow, so I plan to do my studying then, see how simple that was...

anyway, let me know if you guys have anymore questions...feel free to friend me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/SShah21888

goodluck!

I just received my acceptance into the DPC track. Anyone else going this route? Any thoughts from current students on the merits of the program?

I am not in DPC, however I can tell you a few things about it from what I've heard from a couple DPC colleagues

Intro to Osteopathic medicine "system" is the first system that lasts for a month and a half i believe, during this system, ALL Lecture based and DPC students have the same lecture schedule...what i mean is, everything is same for ALL 300 students...

starting Musculoskeletal system (for the lecture based people), things change drastically...DPC'ers do their own thing, which I heard is a lot...I heard their first DPC exam was ALL CUMULATIVE WITH INTRO TO OSTEOPATHIC MED AND WHATEVER THEY DID AFTER...they also have different Doctor-Patient Relations lab times...the only thing that stays the same until the end of Integumentary system is OMM and Anatomy lab...after Integ ends, anatomy lab is done, so the only common ground between DPC and LB is OMM lab...

from what i know, DPC'ers DO NOT follow the same "Systems" schedule like LBD'ers do, they work on different systems...I cannot really tell you more than the fact that their exams are pretty intense...

if you're used to the traditional 100 multiple choice format, then stick to LBD and if you want to explore "new ways", then go with DPC

there are three gyms in Glen Cove...Island Fitness, Planet fitness, and Retro Fitness, and none of them I believe have swimming pools...I go to planet since its the cheapest, and it does the trick, but about pools, your best bet is Google :xf:

I am not in DPC, however I can tell you a few things about it from what I've heard from a couple DPC colleagues

Intro to Osteopathic medicine "system" is the first system that lasts for a month and a half i believe, during this system, ALL Lecture based and DPC students have the same lecture schedule...what i mean is, everything is same for ALL 300 students...

starting Musculoskeletal system (for the lecture based people), things change drastically...DPC'ers do their own thing, which I heard is a lot...I heard their first DPC exam was ALL CUMULATIVE WITH INTRO TO OSTEOPATHIC MED AND WHATEVER THEY DID AFTER...they also have different Doctor-Patient Relations lab times...the only thing that stays the same until the end of Integumentary system is OMM and Anatomy lab...after Integ ends, anatomy lab is done, so the only common ground between DPC and LB is OMM lab...

from what i know, DPC'ers DO NOT follow the same "Systems" schedule like LBD'ers do, they work on different systems...I cannot really tell you more than the fact that their exams are pretty intense...

if you're used to the traditional 100 multiple choice format, then stick to LBD and if you want to explore "new ways", then go with DPC

Just to clear up, our first exam was not "cumulative" with Intro course work.
During Intro, we have a severely attenuated DPC groupwork schedule. We met once a week and had work from a case which we moved very slowly through in order to get the hang of the DPC method. It did overlap a lot with our anatomy, but was not based on those lectures. This was on our first exam, but nothing from lectures is ever included in our Content exams. We are only responsible for Anatomy and OMM lectures and are quizzed on these when the lecture students have their exams. The DPC program all depends on how you learn or really how you want to spend a good bulk of your time. For me, I can't stand to sit and listen/stream for hours on end to lectures. I like to read and also find it easier to associate my knowledge with something clinical and a "real" patient. To each his own, no one can tell you what is the best, it truly is your decision.

Some LDB students must also rely more on reading than listening/streaming though right? Unless the exams are completely based on lecture material..

Is there any small group/discussion based/problems solving component to the LDB track?

DPC is a very intriguing learning method for me... I am just not sure how we would know what's important to learn and what's not if we are deciding what to learn ourselves, and that worries me.

Anyone have any info on nearby gyms? I know NYCOM has a small one, but I'm more of a swimmer than a treadmill person, and I'd like to know if there are any gyms close by where I can go to backstroke some stress off or something.

YMCA at Glen Cove! Yay for swimmers!

Some LDB students must also rely more on reading than listening/streaming though right? Unless the exams are completely based on lecture material..

Is there any small group/discussion based/problems solving component to the LDB track?

DPC is a very intriguing learning method for me... I am just not sure how we would know what's important to learn and what's not if we are deciding what to learn ourselves, and that worries me.

It's the other way around - DPC students seem to rely more on reading textbooks than LDB students. I'm on the LDB track, and we, for the most part, only study whatever notes the professors provide for us before lecture. The textbooks are usually just supplemental/reference material (except in the case of a certain 3 or 4 professors that like to take questions from the textbook reading). 98% of the time though, I'd say, we're only tested on the material from the lecture/lecture notes, and people usually rely on streaming. I personally HATE streaming - I do better just going to class, reading the notes (and occasionally the textbooks for clarification), & taking notes in my words to study from.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the commute is like from midtown manhattan to school? I'm thinking of living in the city since I have a really good deal for price and keeping my car to commute. Is it a reasonable drive? I feel like i'd be able to do a 35 minute drive but nothing more than 40 minutes. lol Thanks in advance.

I think that 40 mins won't happen often. If you were making the drive at 3am, sure, but even commuting from Queens took me 40 mins during the evening rush hour.

did you take the 495 from queens? mapquest says 34 minutes and 22.4 miles but I guess there is still some traffic going from NYC to LI on the 495?

I too, am not sure whether or not I will apply to DPC.

Hmmm.... does Lecture based have any PBL elements to it?
Are there OSCE's (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations) in both Lecture based and DPC?

Can DPC students have access to lecture-based notes, streaming videos, etc?

Any other advice on DPC would be appreciated, thanks everyone! :)

Question for anyone that can help: aside from the FAFSA, is there anything else that needs to be filled out for Stafford loans? Or will the office just contact us if we are missing anything?

did you take the 495 from queens? mapquest says 34 minutes and 22.4 miles but I guess there is still some traffic going from NYC to LI on the 495?

Yup, I took the LIE from Queens to school every day. In the morning it wasn't a problem but if you leave school between 4:30-5, the traffic really picks up.

Yup, I took the LIE from Queens to school every day. In the morning it wasn't a problem but if you leave school between 4:30-5, the traffic really picks up.

This - in the morning i never have a problem unless there's some ridiculous freak accident, but in the afternoon it can take 30-40 minutes.

I imagine from Midtown it would be at LEAST an hour in the morning & then god knows how long in the afternoon/evening.

It's the other way around - DPC students seem to rely more on reading textbooks than LDB students. I'm on the LDB track, and we, for the most part, only study whatever notes the professors provide for us before lecture. The textbooks are usually just supplemental/reference material (except in the case of a certain 3 or 4 professors that like to take questions from the textbook reading). 98% of the time though, I'd say, we're only tested on the material from the lecture/lecture notes, and people usually rely on streaming. I personally HATE streaming - I do better just going to class, reading the notes (and occasionally the textbooks for clarification), & taking notes in my words to study from.

If I had gone to class and had to listen to Larry stepp on normal speed instead of streaming him on doublespeed I'd have slit my wrists.

I too, am not sure whether or not I will apply to DPC.

Hmmm.... does Lecture based have any PBL elements to it?
Are there OSCE's (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations) in both Lecture based and DPC?

Can DPC students have access to lecture-based notes, streaming videos, etc?

Any other advice on DPC would be appreciated, thanks everyone! :)

As a first year DPC student, I can't comment on whether the LDB has PBL components, but we do have access to the same videos as everyone else. We have clinical skills lab once a week to prepare for the OSCE, and second semester, we get to go to a physician's office to put the knowledge into practice. It's a lot of work, but I feel it was the best path for me. Looking back, I have no idea how I could sit through every lecture in intro.

I think the best part of having this choice between LDB and DPC is that if you find out DPC is not for you, you have a month to get out. Although the sessions we have during first month are not that representative of the rest of the year, you can still get a feeling of whether this is the right path for you. I encourage everyone who's really unsure to submit the essay, since you can end up in lecture either way, but you may find out that DPC is right for you even though you have not had any experience with this kind of system before. I will try to answer some more questions if anyone has them.

Does the school offer any discounts on computer software like Microsoft Office? Or should I just get that on my own? Also, my laptop doesn't have an optical drive, are there any CDs we will need to be using?
Thanks for any help!

Does the school offer any discounts on computer software like Microsoft Office? Or should I just get that on my own? Also, my laptop doesn't have an optical drive, are there any CDs we will need to be using?
Thanks for any help!

I'm not aware of any software discounts, but the ultimate steal is $80 for the office professional suite. We were given a histology CD, and it is getting much use as a coaster.