NYCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AerobixChica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone had to start a thread here! So excited to be attending NYCOM!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea! I was just thinking it is about someone made a NYCOM 2015 thread! I'm so excited to be in and going somewhere I know is a great school and so far from the pre-med thread, it seems like there are some great individuals.

Yeah it def seems like a great school! I have a quite a few friends in different years and everyone really likes it!

2015 seems like its gonna be the best year though! hehe:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yeah this is the best part- being accepted but not actually starting!!:p Where are you from in ny?

Hey guys and girls, have any of you gotten access to webboard? I heard housing is on there.

O yea gotta enjoy this time as much as possible. I am Syosset raised but live in Brooklyn now...how bout you?

ohhh Im from dix hills! I worked at cresthollow country club for a long time lol
Now my mom is in melville and my boyfriend is in queens so Im kinda between the 2. I used to work at a docs office in park slope.

Yea ofcourse I know cresthollow country club my best friend lives in woodbury nearby...I used to be a counselor at Crestwood Country Day Camp in Melville. Cool cool. Are you going to stay at home or live on your own near campus?

A ton of my friends worked at crestwood! So funny! Right now I pretty much live with my boyfriend in bellerose, so im gonna stay there (its only 15 min from school). I might stay at my moms some nights- but yeh not getting a place. I figured I wont be there much anyways, and Id like to save money on rent, esp since nycom is a lil more expensive than other schools

What are you going to do?

Hey guys - I'm a fourth year and will be leaving my 1 bedroom apartment after living there for 3 years. It's in Queens, very convenient to the LIE and GCP. Private entrance, amazing landlords who live upstairs. Rent is $900 and that includes heat/hot water. It's in a very safe neighborhood and is within walking distance to the Q46 which takes you to the E in less than 10 mins. I've loved living here and will miss this apartment! PM me for details.

Well I am going to find a place hopefully near school and get some roommates to make it muccchhhhh cheaper since I dont want to spend a ton of money on housing. I hear in Glen Cove there are houses for 4 people to share and their rent is 700 a month :)D). So I am going to look into that. What are you doing before school starts?

Yeah you can get a great deal in glen cove that Im sure wont be too much! Plus itll be nice having classmate roomies!!!

As of now im just working in a docs office, waitressing and tutoring- but plan to start doing some traveling come may...I really wanna go to europe!!!
What are your plans???

Hey! I was accepted last week and I have yet to submit my acceptance but I am pretty positive I will be at NYCOM this year. Has anyone submitted their acceptance and recieved any more information? How about the DPC program, anyone applying? Very excited!

Hey! I was accepted last week and I have yet to submit my acceptance but I am pretty positive I will be at NYCOM this year. Has anyone submitted their acceptance and recieved any more information? How about the DPC program, anyone applying? Very excited!

congrats on the acceptance! After the acceptance (about 2 weeks later) I received a letter confirming that my file was complete, a dpc application form, and an immunization form. I heard financial aid is going out in mid march

I am so torn and not sure about dpc....still thinking about it, but I have a lot of friends who all did LB and advised me to do the same

Yea I definitely want to do some sort of trip outside the US but not sure where yet. Any suggestions? Ill definitely need to budget since med school is not coming cheap!! I am doing research part time working part time as a physical therapy aide so I am sort of keeping busy. Hopefully youll get to go to europe!!

You should subscribe to travel zoo's top 20- sometimes you can find incredible deals. You can definitely do an all inclusive trip to mexico or the dominican republic for a good price, and they are great because they include food and alcohol! Yeah I definitely hear ya on the budgeting- but I always promised myself a nice trip before I started school, since we prob wont have much time in the next 8 years to do it! Also cruises are pretty affordable too, esp the ones out of florida that go to carribbean/mexico. If you are willing to spend a little more, look up mediterranean cruises (they go to italy, greece, turkey etc..) I found some for $800-900 for 12 nights! (of course that doesnt include air fare, which is an extra $800-1000 on top of that!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
‎1 room available in Glen Cove starting in May 2011: 3 bedroom apartment, with full kitchen, and common area. Located in a building above a doctors office, in safe quiet neighborhood. 10 min. from school. $550/month, and electricity and internet are split among everyone, which does not come out to be much (electricity ~$8-10 each/month). Free parking in the lot next to the office. 2 friendly first year medical students living in the other two rooms. If you are interested or want to find out more about the place call 5164840359

Last edited:
Hiii!! Just got accepted, very very excited =)
For those of you that have received more information, any word of a start date?...trying to figure out the moving situation...thanks!

For those of you that have received more information, any word of a start date?...trying to figure out the moving situation...thanks!

CONGRATS!!! The only info I received are the immunization and DPC forms...we should be getting financial aid packets any day now. I believe the start date is the second week of august, but I dont think they've announced it yet (or at least I havent heard)

I've been basing a lot of my information on this catalogue:

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions/Catalog_2009-2011.pdf

and in it the start time in 2009 was:

First Day of Classes........................................Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Day of Classes........................................Tuesday, August 18, 2009

We started on the 13th last year - plan accordingly!

You won't be getting any financial aid info for a long time, you pretty much have to wait until the class is filled to hear anything else out of them. You'll spend most of your spring/summer totally in the dark about school. :laugh:

We started on the 13th last year - plan accordingly!

You won't be getting any financial aid info for a long time, you pretty much have to wait until the class is filled to hear anything else out of them. You'll spend most of your spring/summer totally in the dark about school. :laugh:
Well that's good to know. My parents are hounding me on finding housing and loans. I called NYCOM and they said they don't send any housing stuff out till late spring and financial aid information until May when they know the next years exact tuition.

Well that's good to know. My parents are hounding me on finding housing and loans. I called NYCOM and they said they don't send any housing stuff out till late spring and financial aid information until May when they know the next years exact tuition.

And also with financial aid, the loan process was changed last year because of the new law re: no more federal money given to these private loan granting banks or whatever. Because of that, financial aid was a little bit painful - it was the first time the people in the financial aid office had dealt with the new system, so I can't really blame the school for it. Just a warning - be patient with them if it happens again & takes forever. Apparently this new system is a bureaucratic nightmare on their end.

Hey everyone!! I just put my deposit check in the mail today so I too will be joining the class of 2015 this summer :love:

I don't know if anyone else is in this situation but I'm from Brooklyn and I don't have my driver's license yet :(. Anyone have any tips on getting the best car insurance deal/ buying a used car??

Also, since people seem to be planning their summer vacations, I'll share my plans so far...I'm probably going to take a trip to somewhere in South America. A little bit of medical volunteering, a little bit of learning Spanish and a lot of exploring. I heard that the volunteering programs offered by Maximo Nivel are excellent and affordable ($510 for one week/ $725 for two weeks including housing, food and more) http://www.maximonivel.com/volunteer/

Hey everyone!! I just put my deposit check in the mail today so I too will be joining the class of 2015 this summer :love:

I don't know if anyone else is in this situation but I'm from Brooklyn and I don't have my driver's license yet :(. Anyone have any tips on getting the best car insurance deal/ buying a used car??

Also, since people seem to be planning their summer vacations, I'll share my plans so far...I'm probably going to take a trip to somewhere in South America. A little bit of medical volunteering, a little bit of learning Spanish and a lot of exploring. I heard that the volunteering programs offered by Maximo Nivel are excellent and affordable ($510 for one week/ $725 for two weeks including housing, food and more) http://www.maximonivel.com/volunteer/
It is strange to me that some people don't have licenses yet...but I from upstate and you need a car to get everywhere.
Your trip sounds amazing. You will have a better summer than me..I most likely going to work until 3-2 weeks before we start school. Have a great time.

I'm from the Midwood area close to Sheepshead Bay. Are you from Brooklyn too?

Class Officially Starts the monday of the 3rd week of August each year...

However that does not include orientation which typically starts during the 2nd week of August.

For housing you will want to start a lease on Aug 1st... But housing will be limited now, its still a bit early, as upperclassmen still havent told their landlords if they are leaving or not yet...

what ultimately went in your decision to pick nycom. What are the strengths of the school...I am debating between schools and trying to decide if I want to attend my interview offer at nycom or just take an acceptance i have.

Hey guys I know a bunch of you asked about NYCOMs match lists, I got my hands on the 2008 match list. It is password protected and cannot be posted but ill write it out on here... Ill write the amount matched in specialties, and highlight some programs I think stand out:

11- Anesthesiology @ Montefiore, U.Mass, U. Rochester( x3)

1- Pediatric Neurology @ Bostons Childrens' Hosp.

3 Dermatology @ Montefiore

9 Diagnostic Radiology @ Yale-NewHaven Hospital, Beth Israel, Hartford,

35 Emergency Med. @ Jacobi, Mt. Sinai Med Center

3 Combined EM-FP

2 Combined EM-IM

Fam. Med. @ Georgetown-providence hospital, Columbia-NYP, Stamford hosptial/Columbia, Long Beach CA,

14 General Surgery

IM @ Beth Israel, Johns Hopkins-Bayview, Northwestern, Sinai Grace Hospital, USC cali

5- Neurology

3- Neurosurgery

OB/GYN @ Albany, Beth Israel, NY Downtown, NY Methodist, Stamford Hospital/Columbia

2- Ophthalmology

10- Orthopedic Surgery

3- Pathology @ Mayo Clinic

Pediatrics @ U.Conn(x2), U.Rochester, U.FL, Robert-wood Johnson

19 PM&R @ Montefiore, NYU(X5), U.Wash, U.Penn

Psych @ NYU

1- oto-plastic Surgery

Not Including Military

51% of graduating class specialized (IE: not Primary Care I included OB/GYN, Peds, Psych, FM, IM, as primary care)
50% went Allopathic

NYCOM has match lists like this year after year, its very good, and has many "unreachable" spots on it every year...

Hey guys I know a bunch of you asked about NYCOMs match lists, I got my hands on the 2008 match list. It is password protected and cannot be posted but ill write it out on here... Ill write the amount matched in specialties, and highlight some programs I think stand out:

11- Anesthesiology @ Montefiore, U.Mass, U. Rochester( x3)

1- Pediatric Neurology @ Bostons Childrens' Hosp.

3 Dermatology @ Montefiore

9 Diagnostic Radiology @ Yale-NewHaven Hospital, Beth Israel, Hartford,

35 Emergency Med. @ Jacobi, Mt. Sinai Med Center

3 Combined EM-FP

2 Combined EM-IM

Fam. Med. @ Georgetown-providence hospital, Columbia-NYP, Stamford hosptial/Columbia, Long Beach CA,

14 General Surgery

IM @ Beth Israel, Johns Hopkins-Bayview, Northwestern, Sinai Grace Hospital, USC cali

5- Neurology

3- Neurosurgery

OB/GYN @ Albany, Beth Israel, NY Downtown, NY Methodist, Stamford Hospital/Columbia

2- Ophthalmology

10- Orthopedic Surgery

3- Pathology @ Mayo Clinic

Pediatrics @ U.Conn(x2), U.Rochester, U.FL, Robert-wood Johnson

19 PM&R @ Montefiore, NYU(X5), U.Wash, U.Penn

Psych @ NYU

1- oto-plastic Surgery

Not Including Military

51% of graduating class specialized (IE: not Primary Care I included OB/GYN, Peds, Psych, FM, IM, as primary care)
50% went Allopathic

NYCOM has match lists like this year after year, its very good, and has many "unreachable" spots on it every year...

Thanks for sharing! Thats amazing!!

I know people from staten island that all used to carpool. Maybe you can find others from Brooklyn and get a ride? Sorry I cant advise on buying a used car, have never done it

This sounds incredible! I am definitely going to look into it. I have a VERY rough understanding of spanish though, and I definitely dont know medical terms. I wonder if this matters?

This sounds incredible! I am definitely going to look into it. I have a VERY rough understanding of spanish though, and I definitely dont know medical terms. I wonder if this matters?

They are actually very used to having volunteers from around the world, many of whom don't know Spanish so you would definitely be accommodated. The program also includes 2 hours of Spanish class every day (optional) plus tutoring, textbooks and such. I also forgot most of the Spanish I learned in high school haha.

From what I heard, this program is very organized and dedicated to giving volunteers the best experience possible. They know how to solve your problems before you even have them.

I really hope everyone gets to have the vacation of their dreams this summer. You guys all deserve it :) I personally still can't get over how happy I am to have gotten into med school, especially NYCOM!

Congrats to everyone.. I recently sent in my deposit and am looking forward to NYCOM. I am from out of state and wanted to connect with others from out of state. If anyone has information on housing, I would appreciate it.

Congrats to everyone.. I recently sent in my deposit and am looking forward to NYCOM. I am from out of state and wanted to connect with others from out of state. If anyone has information on housing, I would appreciate it.
Hey,
Congrats!!! I call the office a few day ago about housing because I was getting antsy. They stated to me that they send out the information in "late spring..like April". There is a facebook page for 2015 class. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_148517495197168

great! thank you & everyone else that responded

Where did the ortho surg. people match into?

Peninsula Hospital Center, Kennedy Memorial Medical Center, Richmond Medical Center- Cleveland, Riverside County Regional Medical Center, Moreno County, CA

Glad to finally be one of you guys! Sending deposit in Monday! :D

Hello, I'm from Brooklyn too from the East Flatbush area.

BTW, I'm also in the Med-Prep program, anyone else?

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what vaccinations are required for Nycom. I'm at doctors now and have to get it done because I will be taking of insurance policy. I just been accepted but I did not get the immunization form. Please help!!

Can anyone tell me what vaccinations are required for Nycom. I'm at doctors now and have to get it done because I will be taking of insurance policy. I just been accepted but I did not get the immunization form. Please help!!

Sorry I don't remember off hand...I have a copy at home(I'm at work). The doctor needs to fill out the sheet and provide his signature and license number anyway.

Does anyone know how much financial aid is budgeted for housing? the max. amount for rent?

1 room available in Glen Cove starting in June 2011: 3 bedroom apartment, with full kitchen, common area, air conditioned and heated. Located in a building above a doctors office, in safe quiet neighborhood. 10 min. from school. $550/month, and electricity and internet are split among everyone, which does not come out to be much (electricity ~$8-10 each/month). Free parking in the lot next to the office. NYCOM students will be living in the rooms this coming year. If you are interested or want to find out more about the place contact Nancy at: 516-484-0359.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't remember off hand...I have a copy at home(I'm at work). The doctor needs to fill out the sheet and provide his signature and license number anyway.

Yea. It's ok. I'll just have to deal with it when I get my form. Thanks

Question guys, do we have to send a copy of our tax returns to the school after submitting the FAFSA? I remember having to do that for undergrad.

And do we get immunization stuff by mail after sending the deposit? Just sent that in on Tuesday.

Question guys, do we have to send a copy of our tax returns to the school after submitting the FAFSA? I remember having to do that for undergrad.

And do we get immunization stuff by mail after sending the deposit? Just sent that in on Tuesday.

I completed my FAFSA and used my tax information for that. I didn't send anything to the school. I called them a few weeks ago and they said they don't send anything out for finical aid until mid-May when they have the years tuition finalized. Also, I believe at they interview the finical advisor that spoke stated there was no point completing the FAFSA until that point...but I did it any way. As for the immunization information, you will receive that soon after they confirm your deposit.

Cheers!

Hi guys! I got accepted into the HCOP MEd Prep I Program. Anyone else will be in the Med Prep Program this May?

hey guys! soooooo pumped and cannot wait to go to NYCOM in August with the rest of you! pewee17, i know what you mean, i got the acceptance earlier this week and my parents are totally freaking out about housing (the freaking out runs in the fam haha)

i'm not from the area (upstate NY) but whats the average number of students rooming together- do more people opt for getting a house with 4 or 5 people or do they choose to live alone or with just one roommate? Sorry, i'm a little anxious because I ended up living at home during undergrad to save moolah.

i heard that last year's class received an iphone... do we get some sort of budgeted amount to purchase a laptop? I know that other medical schools do this but I wasn't sure about NYCOM.

and is there a bus system that students can use? i know this might seem like a ridiculous question but the less i have to use my car the better...

anyways thanks for any info and can't wait to meet you guys! :)

Hi!! My name is Yenis and I also got accepted into NYCOM through the HCOP Program. Are you from the New York area?

hey guys! soooooo pumped and cannot wait to go to NYCOM in August with the rest of you! pewee17, i know what you mean, i got the acceptance earlier this week and my parents are totally freaking out about housing (the freaking out runs in the fam haha)

i'm not from the area (upstate NY) but whats the average number of students rooming together- do more people opt for getting a house with 4 or 5 people or do they choose to live alone or with just one roommate? Sorry, i'm a little anxious because I ended up living at home during undergrad to save moolah.

i heard that last year's class received an iphone... do we get some sort of budgeted amount to purchase a laptop? I know that other medical schools do this but I wasn't sure about NYCOM.

and is there a bus system that students can use? i know this might seem like a ridiculous question but the less i have to use my car the better...

Usually people live with 2 other students (so 3 total), rent will cost about $650 a person on average that way. Look for housing in the glen cove,ny area, the only houses next to the campus are mansions. Every student previously got an ipod, and I think you guys might be getting an ipad, and you are responsible for your own laptop.

There is a bus on the main roads but not from Glen Cove so you will probably need to drive.

We got an iPod Touch, not a phone. lol. And no, you don't get a budget for a laptop, you have to buy that on your own/with your student loans.