NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im in the class of 2011, seeing if anyone is interested in buying some material for step 1. I have the

Kaplan step 1 Qbook from 2005-2006 edition unmarked,

Kaplan medical Comlex level 1 lecture notes (books they give out when you pay for their lectures ie biochem, Pharm, OMT &Behavioral, Anatomy, Micro & Immuno),

First Aid Q & A for the USMLE STEP 1 2nd edition(writing up to pg 85 out of 674),

Review for USMLE Step 1 4th edition(unmarked)

BRS Biochemistry 2nd edition
BRS Physiology 4th edition

First Aid USMLE STEP 1 2009

$250 for everything if interested text me at 631-742-2156 or email me at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i have textbook of medical physiology by guyton 11th edition for 60 dollars. it's in great condition. pm me if you're interested.

hi guys
i wanted ask your suggestion regarding something...
unfortunately, i screwed up in into lect/anatomy portion...need 1 more point to pass. The other parts are good.
I was thinking to go to Scandalis to talk about this, and maybe avoid remediation.... is it worth it or will just get aggravated and i'll dig myself further into a hole? ... since many of you are second yrs you might have heard about stuff like this
Thanks
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey first of all, don't get too worried about this. Well, it's something to be concerned about, but don't beat yourself up about it. You tried hard and that also matters.
Coming back to the point, I've heard of a lot of people who went to Dr. Hill and tried to get points back from Anatomy. If there were little things here and there on the exam that might be counted as corrected, he would sometimes work with you to get points back. I'm not sure if he still does that though because a lot of people started doing it and were less than sincere about it. That being said, I think you'd need to get back 4 points from an Anatomy exam to equal one total point to get to 70, correct? That might be difficult.
You could also look back on your OMM practical grades as well and argue those. I'm not sure how your grading goes this year, but if it's part of your grade, that might help as well.
I don't think it could hurt to talk to an administrator. You're either going to have to remediate or you won't and they can't make you do more than remediate.

Good luck,
:oops:

hey thanx :)
anatomy won't help need 6 pts and I can't argue any of my answers :(
i guess I'll make an appointment w/ scandalis. Highly doubt that he'll make an exception for a point.... but who knows. It just kills me....

My advice to you is to kill your systems. Work hard, study as hard as you can and pass all of your systems. Focus on that and worry about remediation later. If you keep thinking about having to remediate fundamentals then you're going to be distracted from what is important -- making absolutely sure that you don't fail another system. You can do it. And what I've heard, remediating fundamentals isn't that bad over the summer. Good luck!

hey thanx :)
anatomy won't help need 6 pts and I can't argue any of my answers :(
i guess I'll make an appointment w/ scandalis. Highly doubt that he'll make an exception for a point.... but who knows. It just kills me....

Hey, this may sound a bit hysterical, but I was wondering if any second years could give me some advice. I know medical school is supposed to be hard, but I am so frustrated with myself. I keep getting in the low 80's on my tests. I think I studied so hard going in, know a lot, and I either make stupid mistakes or don't know the question. I had an 83 in fundamentals. I want to do anesthesia, is that too low. I am worrying that all I will be able to do is internal medicine because I am not honoring and my grades are not high enough. Any advice? Thanks.

I think a lot of us have the same fear, mostly because all of us are good students and how well we do in terms of grades change once we get to med school. But I think I have a couple of things to say that might help

1. We've had a few chances to speak to current residents and they all say that you should really just be focused on passing, learning what you need to know to do well on the boards, doing well on the boards, and establishing connections related to the residency you want. Grades matter much less. Board scores are more important. I know that's hard to grasp based on our upbringing as students so far, but it's really all that I've heard from residents so far.

2. Our NYCOM exams are very... special. You'll notice that you can predict some professors' questions pretty well, that some questions are repeated from previous exams, and that overall, our questions test recall of specific facts rather than understanding concepts or being of a second order. So basically, if you can memorize things, you'll do well. So don't beat yourself up. Are you doing near the average? Fine. If not, maybe you should test yourself with a couple of board-type questions on the subject to see if you've actually learned what you were supposed to learn, not what NYCOM decided you should learn.

3. It's good that you're focused on anesthesiology so early. But according to most studies, you're probably going to change your mind several times before you ultimately have to decide. So I guess I want to tell you not to box yourself into one specific specialty. If you do that, you won't be open-minded during clinicals and will miss a really great opportunity to learn about yourself as a future doctor and about other fields that might be a perfect match for you. Internal medicine ain't that bad...

Hopefully that helps... if not, pm me.

big ditto to what NikeGirl said.

Pre-clinical grades are probably the least important factor when it comes to your residency application (except if u wanna do path). Especially at NYCOM when it only says P or H. It really only factors into your rank for your deans letter. Obviously it looks good to have some/all H's, but its not a necessity.

It's a very hard concept to grasp, since grades have been the measuring stick for all of us our entire academic career (let alone the fact most of us are use to straight A's).

That being said, learning is incredible important. You do need to get 'the big picture'. None of us first years remember that "the maximum velocity of shortening in an isotonic contration is a function of the rate of cross-bridge cycling" (thanks dedkov). And that won't be asked on the boards (way more important than your test grades). But you have to know basic muscle physiology (actin/myosin cycling). In short, your grades in and of themselves aren't important but your understanding of basic fundamental concepts is.

Good Luck, and stay grounded. Believe it or not this year will go by in a flash!

You do need to get 'the big picture'. None of us first years remember that "the maximum velocity of shortening in an isotonic contration is a function of the rate of cross-bridge cycling" (thanks dedkov). And that won't be asked on the boards (way more important than your test grades). But you have to know basic muscle physiology (actin/myosin cycling). In short, your grades in and of themselves aren't important but your understanding of basic fundamental concepts is.

Actually, the concept that "the maximum velocity of shortening in an isotonic contration is a function of the rate of cross-bridge cycling" is VERY VERY important in cardio and will most likely be a concept asked on the boards because that statement is basically the frank starling mechanism. It is the pathophysiology of how the preload to the heart affects it stretching and how the heart muscle will contract in the next cycle.

With that being said, NYCOM exams tests mostly on stuff you have to memorize. If you feel like you are studying for the concepts, then great. You are actually better off IN THE LONG TERM than most of your classmates that are just memorizing powerpoint slides. The info you are learning should be about big concepts so that when it comes down to the little things, you can logically reason your way through those questions. What makes first year so hard IMO is that you just dont know enough medicine to start putting the big concepts together. You dont have the pathological and physiological foundation yet to logically reason your way though those clinical qs. As what Nikegirl said, do some practice board questions even if you get the qs wrong, if you feel like you are understanding the reasoning behind why an answer is correct, then you are on the right track.

The way you want to approach NYCOM tests is to not get below the means. Try to say in the top 1/2 to top 1/3 thats all that matters. Don't worry if you are not honoring. Just stay up in the top 1/3 of the class and you will have a good deans letter.

Actually, the concept that "the maximum velocity of shortening in an isotonic contration is a function of the rate of cross-bridge cycling" is VERY VERY important in cardio and will most likely be a concept asked on the boards because that statement is basically the frank starling mechanism. It is the pathophysiology of how the preload to the heart affects it stretching and how the heart muscle will contract in the next cycle.

Aaaactually no. If you really want to be technical about it, it is not "basically" the Frank-Starling mechanism. But since you went out of the way to say something stupid.... The Frank-Starling mechanism is a very very important concept in cardio. But if you think that you have discovered the molecular basis for why it occurs then you should really try to prove it, as it would be a major discovery in medical physiology.

First of all... ya know... I'm not even going to take the time to explain this to you.... read guyton.

http://ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/273/5/H2428

Which would bring me to my next point Mandy. For some reason (and I don't know if its like this in every medical school), but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of "tools" in our class. You know the type... The kind of people who like to hear themselves talk. Try not to let them annoy you too much. It can be a struggle sometime :laugh:

NYCOMDO, thanks for the correction via the link you posted. Just to clarify, I responded to your response because you made the point that certain things they teach you in class are not important for the boards and are not big picture topics. I agree with you there. They do teach us so many little facts that might not seem that relevant. Where we differed though, was with the example you gave. Looking again at that statement, I see how that is not basically the frank-starling mech. My apologies for incorrectly wording my response. It was a long day yesterday and I didn't fully read the full statement. But, the concept of that statement is still relevant to explaining the pathophysiology of how preload affects the next ventricular contraction in systole. My point of correcting you earlier was because I personally felt that the interaction of actin and myosin and how it relates to muscle shortening is a big concept when you start talking about cardiac physiology.

Also thinks for insinuating that I was a tool for my response and that I am pretty stupid because I don't read Guyton (which for the record I did read and also have read Costanzo). I really appreciate that. Way to be mature and professional. If you really want to talk to me further about cardiac physiology or want to correct me some more, please, feel free to shoot me a PM. But lets keep this forum free from calling people tools.

Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone, im a premed very interested in NYCOM (got an interview in two weeks), and i was wondering does anyone know how hard the PBL pathway is in terms of getting good grades? after a PBL presentation at a certain interview, I became so intrigued by PBL, i think its a great way to learn and was wondering if its harder than regular lecture? if it was harder, i'd still most likely choose PBL but i just wanna know how much harder so i'd know what to expect. thanks!

Hey man, no worries, just defending my original post. I actually met you a few times at parties and your a pretty cool kid. Your not the 'tool' type that I was referring to.
NYCOMDO, thanks for the correction via the link you posted. Just to clarify, I responded to your response because you made the point that certain things they teach you in class are not important for the boards and are not big picture topics. I agree with you there. They do teach us so many little facts that might not seem that relevant. Where we differed though, was with the example you gave. Looking again at that statement, I see how that is not basically the frank-starling mech. My apologies for incorrectly wording my response. It was a long day yesterday and I didn't fully read the full statement. But, the concept of that statement is still relevant to explaining the pathophysiology of how preload affects the next ventricular contraction in systole. My point of correcting you earlier was because I personally felt that the interaction of actin and myosin and how it relates to muscle shortening is a big concept when you start talking about cardiac physiology.

Also thinks for insinuating that I was a tool for my response and that I am pretty stupid because I don't read Guyton (which for the record I did read and also have read Costanzo). I really appreciate that. Way to be mature and professional. If you really want to talk to me further about cardiac physiology or want to correct me some more, please, feel free to shoot me a PM. But lets keep this forum free from calling people tools.

Thanks

Hey everyone . . . can you tell me your impression of having 12 weeks of surg in the third clinical year three? After taking into account electives and all, is it really more than you could get at other schools which typically "require" four weeks? Do you think NYCOM helps prepare more for surgical specialties? Thanks!

Hey everyone . . . can you tell me your impression of having 12 weeks of surg in the third clinical year three? After taking into account electives and all, is it really more than you could get at other schools which typically "require" four weeks? Do you think NYCOM helps prepare more for surgical specialties? Thanks!

NYCOM changed their 3rd year rotations a bit last year. Surgery and IM are no longer 12 weeks. They are 10 weeks instead. FM, OB/GYN, Psych, Peds are no longer 6 weeks, they are now 5 week rotations. When in surgery, depending on the hospital, you do a couple weeks on one service such as general surgery, ortho, neurosug, urology, gas, ect and then you switch. NYCOM also gives you 4 weeks at the end of 3rd year to do an elective rotation anywhere in any specialty.

Last edited:
NYCOM changed their 3rd year rotations a bit last year. Surgery and IM are no longer 12 weeks. They are 10 weeks instead. FM, OB/GYN, Psych, Peds are no longer 6 weeks, they are now 5 week rotations. When in surgery, depending on the hospital, you do a couple weeks on one service such as general surgery, ortho, neurosug, urology, gas, ect and then you switch. NYCOM also gives you 4 weeks at the end of 3rd year to do an elective rotation anywhere in any specialty.

I finished 10 weeks of surgery as my first rotation this year. Personally, I felt it was a good amount of time to learn and do everything you can as a student. I am glad that I didn't have to do 12 weeks like my colleagues in 2010; that would have definitely been 2 weeks too long. At my hospital we didn't get to do ortho, cardiothoracic, or neuro, but we got to see and do vascular, urology, anesthesia, and good ole general surg. Occasionally they'd ask us to help out podiatry if they absolutely needed a first assist. Most schools have rotation lengths of about 6-10 weeks for surgery...not sure where someone in an earlier post got that some schools "require" 4 weeks. I would think that is far too little time for a field as large as surgery.

The 5 week rotations are just the right amount of time. Anything shorter and you're leaving just when everything becomes familiar.

I finished 10 weeks of surgery as my first rotation this year. Personally, I felt it was a good amount of time to learn and do everything you can as a student. I am glad that I didn't have to do 12 weeks like my colleagues in 2010; that would have definitely been 2 weeks too long. At my hospital we didn't get to do ortho, cardiothoracic, or neuro, but we got to see and do vascular, urology, anesthesia, and good ole general surg. Occasionally they'd ask us to help out podiatry if they absolutely needed a first assist. Most schools have rotation lengths of about 6-10 weeks for surgery...not sure where someone in an earlier post got that some schools "require" 4 weeks. I would think that is far too little time for a field as large as surgery.

The 5 week rotations are just the right amount of time. Anything shorter and you're leaving just when everything becomes familiar.

Western/COMP, AZCOM, SOMA, are a few examples that all have four weeks of gen surg in their third year. There are others.

Western/COMP, AZCOM, SOMA, are a few examples that all have four weeks of gen surg in their third year. There are others.

Wow, I stand corrected then. I can't imagine only doing 4 weeks for surgery and getting enough time and exposure, but I guess other schools/students do well enough with that period of time.

My personal feeling is that 4 weeks isn't enough time, but if you're not interested in surgery at all (like me) then it wouldn't be such a bad thing :)

Room available (Feb 2010) in Glen Cove, 7 min drive from NYCOM
All girls house, all NYCOM students very friendly, clean and respectful, beautiful newly renovated house, huge backyard, laundry, dishwasher, everything you need to live and study comfortably!
Msg me for more details if interested
thanks!

Hey everyone, I was just curious to see if you felt NYCOM prepared you well for the boards? Anyone think that DPC have better preparation because of their curriculum?

congrats guys! what a relief to finally have finished your basic curriculum! now onwards to clinicals and the application of clinically relevant medical knowledge for your patients!

we're 4th year graduating nycom'ers and if you guys have any questions, want any advice in regards to rotations, boards, or residency - please feel free to send us a PM! we're also listing a few books that may be useful to you, so please take a glance... because even if you don't purchase from us, at least you'll have an idea what kinds of books you may need for the next 2 years. =)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=718152

Dear Future 3rd years,

I know you're worried about getting your schedules on track. Learning the most you can before 4th year is very important because that will be the time where you're going to meet the right people and get the right people to write you a letter of recommendation...

but as important as clinicals are, and as important as a letter of recommendation is, passing the boards whether it be USMLE step1 or COMLEX level1 is very important...

so if you need any additional books or advice, please do not hesitate to ask!

And here's a link of books that you may be interested in:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9651662#post9651662

Good luck with boards!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm posting this for my landlord:

Clean, well kept 1 bedroom, 1 bath garden/basement apartment of a private house in Little Neck, NY (Marathon Pkwy. and Northern Blvd.) available in June, ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED in rent price of $1150/mo (except cable/internet). Great location for rotations, easy access to highways and is about 5-10 minutes from LIJ and North Shore Manhasset. About 20 minutes from NYCOM. 1 block away from Stop and Shop and many great restaurants, stores, post office, etc. Nice and quiet neighborhood. 1st month's rent + 1 month security deposit.

FEATURES:
-Private side entrance
-Open kitchen with lots of cabinet space
-Spacious bedroom with 2 large double door custom made closets
-Has 3 18x30" windows, 2 large 28x36" windows
-Tile floors throughout
-Landlords are very nice, older couple + son live upstairs in the house. They are very quiet and the husband is very handy (can fix things immediately if necessary).

For further information please PM me and I can answer questions and give contact info. Thanks!