NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
good luck with neuro!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks vee! happy thanksgiving everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
d00d... there's a greek restaurant in astoria called Stamatis that i vowed to visit on the weekends. crap. their food is soooooooooooooo goooooooooooood
ok, i know this is an old thread, but i just read this post: I LOVE STAMATIS. ... i've been going there for years!!! best greek place in NY 100%... i even went to the original stamatis.. but its not as good... anyways.. ill be joining NYCOM next year!..

Last edited:
ok, i know this is an old thread, but i just read this post: I LOVE STAMATIS. ... i've been going there for years!!! best greek place in NY 100%... i even went to the original stamatis.. but its not as good... anyways.. ill be joining NYCOM next year!..

thread isn't that old, we just don't have the time to post to it all that much... but yes, stamatis is the shiz when it comes to greek food in astoria. i go nowhere else. i also like uncle nick's in hell's kitchen.

if you like greek food, try serbian food at a restaurant called 'Stari Most' (means Old Bridge) in Astoria. I recommend the 'chevapi' (several types of meat mixed together and grilled) and 'shopska salata' (tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, feta cheese, oil and vinegar).

p.s. welcome to NYCOM

Last edited:
thread isn't that old, we just don't have the time to post to it all that much... but yes, stamatis is the shiz when it comes to greek food in astoria. i go nowhere else. i also like uncle nick's in hell's kitchen.

if you like greek food, try serbian food at a restaurant called 'Stari Most' (means Old Bridge) in Astoria. I recommend the 'chevapi' (several types of meat mixed together and grilled) and 'shopska salata' (tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, feta cheese, oil and vinegar).

p.s. welcome to NYCOM

Going to try this Serbian place now. Let you know what I think of it. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

I remember being told by second years that the BLS for Healthcare Providors was another one of those BS books we don't need to buy... anyone else remember being told that too?

i just found enough change to buy it in my couch. jackpot! :luck:

Room available in Westbury - 15 min from school, It's clean, quiet, and affordable. One room is available in a 3 bedroom apartment with full bath, kitchen, living room, and washer/dryer.
Please message me if u r interested (or send the word to anyone who is) :thumbup:

they released the key to the last test today...

is it me or is there one answer given for each optho Q that has 2 perfectly correct answers?

is it me or does the OMM long paragraph Q STILL not have a correct answer and they put one down? If it got better in flexion, would it not be FRS?

I will forgive bitemporal homonymous hemianopsia (contradiction) because Hallas is the man and made a silly boo boo.

I'm not trying to be all upset about it or anything, but this last test was frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to work a few things out Re: deciding where to go in fall 2009. I got into NOVA South eastern, high waitlisted at Touro - Harlem, and I am interviewing at NYCOM soon. I also have an apartment in the city that is coming off lease in a month or 2..

Do a lot of NYCOM students commute from the city or brooklyn? if so, does that work out for them?

thanks

I am trying to work a few things out Re: deciding where to go in fall 2009. I got into NOVA South eastern, high waitlisted at Touro - Harlem, and I am interviewing at NYCOM soon. I also have an apartment in the city that is coming off lease in a month or 2..

Do a lot of NYCOM students commute from the city or brooklyn? if so, does that work out for them?

thanks

There are people who commute from Brooklyn and at least one that I know of who comes in from the city. It is a long drive in traffic, but they do it.

i commute from brooklyn. it works out fine. get enough sleep, preferably not behind the wheel. if you are smart you will just work out your commute around traffic aka leave a little earlier or later depending on when you have to be at school (if you have to be there at all wink wink)

PS: orientation week is hell. you will have to be there 8-5 pretty much the whole week so expect to hit traffic every day coming home. A 45-50 min commute turns into 1.5hr and will really wear you out. I was exhausted.

I'm right there with you

they released the key to the last test today...

is it me or is there one answer given for each optho Q that has 2 perfectly correct answers?

is it me or does the OMM long paragraph Q STILL not have a correct answer and they put one down? If it got better in flexion, would it not be FRS?

I will forgive bitemporal homonymous hemianopsia (contradiction) because Hallas is the man and made a silly boo boo.

I'm not trying to be all upset about it or anything, but this last test was frustrating.

me2! test was really frustrating.

hey guys, I dont know how much anyone's been listening to the news, but St.John's in trouble...Even though this is a DO thread and I'm a future DO, I wouldnt want this hospital to close. I've met so many wonderful people at St.John's that it breaks my heart to know that they are now being layed off. St.John's saved my mother's life and countless times has been there for me. I know what its like to work there as I have volunteered in the ER and lab for years. The staff is doing all it's best despite having little resources and is understaffed. I feel that one rally that they had today isn't enough. There needs to be more! And one person can't make all the difference, there need be a team. Our community needs this hospital!! It was crowded when I worked there, imagine what it'll be once it's closed and patients will have to go to already neighboring crowded hospitals.
It doesnt matter where you people go for care, but it does matter that care be available to the people who go to St.John's.

Help spread the word to help it keep open! Thanks.

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind, but since the email server is down, I'm going to go ahead and post this here.

The shirts are black with white and red writing. The front says:
D.O. the RIGHT thing
there's a medical staff symbol below it

The back says:
NYCOM Fights Global Aids
PHYSICIANS FOR HUMAN RIGHTS
there's a red AIDS ribbon below that

The right shirt sleeve says:
Physicians for Human Rights

Hey fellow PHR members!
Our PHR t-shirts are finally here and on-sale for $12. Unfortunately the server for mass-emails is down, but hopefully you've seen our flyers! We have assorted sizes and will be selling them until we run out, so get yours now! We will be outside Mollie/Williams at lunch time until all 72 are sold. All profits will be donated to an AIDS charity. (The details of which charity are still being decided.) Please continue in the fight against global AIDS. Also, stay tuned for an upcoming meeting, probably in late Feb/March. Upcoming events include: speaker on torture, elections of next years e-board, PHR/AMSA bakesale on behalf of the pediatric swimathon (April), and the AIDS walk (May) Details to follow. Thanks for being so great! -Vanessa

--
Vanessa Parisi, OMS II
NYCOM 2011, DO
Physicians for Human Rights President
Project for Latino Health Secretary
American Medical Student Association Treasurer
ATSU, Graduate Student, MPH

Bump for the end of neuro :)

hey guys I was just wondering, where do most students get lunch and dinner during the week if they study on campus until late? Is there a meal plan? Do people generally bring lunch from home?

Also, I know the med school library closes at 12, are there any study areas that is open until late at night? What about during the summer and break, do they still keep the library open? Thanks guys

there are options for food, but most are outside campus and require driving. i'm not a good resource for this since i commute, study from home and never stay late on campus

hey guys I was just wondering, where do most students get lunch and dinner during the week if they study on campus until late? Is there a meal plan? Do people generally bring lunch from home?

Also, I know the med school library closes at 12, are there any study areas that is open until late at night? What about during the summer and break, do they still keep the library open? Thanks guys

The cafeteria only serves food from about 11 to something like 3. It's a pretty small cafeteria too, so they only have a salad bar and some entrees. You can also get a sandwich made, soup, little snacks, and drinks, but that's about it. There's also a coffee area kind of thing that's open all day until like 7. There's a bit of a food selection there too, but nothing to rely on for your meals. There's no meal plan, though you can put money on your ID card and not be charged tax when you buy food. There's also a cafeteria area on the undergrad campus, but I think their selection is limited. Don't know much about it.
Most of us either bring in food from home and store it in the fridges outside the cafeteria or go off campus and get stuff from around town. Driving down the street a little will bring you to places like Taco Bell, Subway, I think a Wendy's, a Pathmark that has a really good salad bar, Chinese take-out, and Italian food. I went to undergrad where I had a lot of selection, and healthy selection at that, so these places don't appeal to me much and I bring stuff in from home. There are a bunch of microwaves and a toaster you can use at any time.
Regarding studying, it seems like the entire campus used to be open until 2 but they might have cut back the hours to 12. I'm pretty sure you're right about the library closing at 12. We also have a pretty big study room in one of the other main buildings and that should close at around the same time. People also study in the two huge lecture halls and basically anywhere around our main buildings that might have desks and chairs. When the weather gets better, you can sit out on the few benches we have (as you can see, I'm not a big fan of our limited spaces). I'm a first year, so I don't know about campus being open for studying during the summer. I'd imagine it would be though.
If these places don't suit you, people also study at the local libraries colleges and universities like East Meadow Public Library, Westbury Public Library, Hofstra University, and Nassau Community College, which have nice libraries too.

Hope that helps!

Hey guys. This is a question for the current NYCOM students concerning financial aid:

I don't know how many of you would know this, but is there any evidence that shows that including parental information on the FAFSA would somehow decrease the financial aid received? My parents are not planning to contribute anything towards my expenses, yet their info may make it seem like they would. :shrug:

Also, I just want to make sure I understand the cost of attendance situation for NYCOM. Based on the handout they gave me during my interview:

With school expenses (including tuition and fees) the cost is 41,255. Then you add 3,786 for the medical insurance and it's 45,011. Then add books/supplies/equipment/uniforms and it becomes 48,791. Now what I'm confused about is what comes after this. It states:

with parent 15,075
w/o parent 23,445

Is that the amount of aid you receive for personal (or "non-school-related") spending? Like housing, car, food, leisure, etc.? If so, what does with and without parent mean? Do they mean you will receive 15k instead of 23k if they think your parents will contribute? Or (what I think is more likely) are they referring to whether you are going to LIVE with your parents or not?

Sorry for the long post; thanks! :)

I have to tell you that I don't know what that means, but I'm pretty sure you'd get the full amount covered regardless of whether you included your parents' info or not. I'm a first year now and included all my parents' stuff and I was offered the full amount I needed to cover everything.
If that doesn't answer your question, I'd suggest you call the Financial Aid Office and speak with Claire Jacobi. She probably gave your FinAid presentation during the interview and actually, she's pretty helpful.

Hope that helps,

The big study room in the main building is open until around 1 AMish depending on when the security guards kick you out. It's the same with the two big lecture halls.

I'm not sure whether or not they open the library during break (it was closed during labor day weekend, veterans day (i think, err it could have been president's day), and Thanksgiving weekend). If they do though, I'm sure the hours are limited.

Yeah most ppl bring lunch and dinner from home. I'm lazy (and prolly stupid) so I just buy lunch from the overpriced cafeteria (though they did reduce the prices a couple of months ago) or buy a five dollar footlong from Subway which is about 2 miles away from campus.

Hey guys. This is a question for the current NYCOM students concerning financial aid:

I don't know how many of you would know this, but is there any evidence that shows that including parental information on the FAFSA would somehow decrease the financial aid received? My parents are not planning to contribute anything towards my expenses, yet their info may make it seem like they would. :shrug:

Also, I just want to make sure I understand the cost of attendance situation for NYCOM. Based on the handout they gave me during my interview:

With school expenses (including tuition and fees) the cost is 41,255. Then you add 3,786 for the medical insurance and it's 45,011. Then add books/supplies/equipment/uniforms and it becomes 48,791. Now what I'm confused about is what comes after this. It states:

with parent 15,075
w/o parent 23,445

Is that the amount of aid you receive for personal (or "non-school-related") spending? Like housing, car, food, leisure, etc.? If so, what does with and without parent mean? Do they mean you will receive 15k instead of 23k if they think your parents will contribute? Or (what I think is more likely) are they referring to whether you are going to LIVE with your parents or not?

Sorry for the long post; thanks! :)

I think the "with parent" amount is assuming they would help you pay that amount (the difference from "w/o parent"). I used to fully understand what was going on but I forgot. I would just ignore that "with parent"/"w/o parent" figure and just focus on the the tuition/health insurance figure. If possible, I definitely recommend having your parent's health insurance for as long as possible because it does save about $3,500 (and you can use that to buy books/equipment!)

If you are 22 and older, you are required to file as an independent and you are not required to put your parent's information in the FAFSA. Even if you do, it will not affect your EFC. Aaaand your EFC doesn't mean much anyways because the tuition greatly exceeds your EFC so you can borrow the maximum amount allowed plus GRAD plus loans.

Feel free to ask more questions. (haha just did my FAFSA a couple of days ago)

I think the "with parent" amount is assuming they would help you pay that amount (the difference from "w/o parent"). I used to fully understand what was going on but I forgot. I would just ignore that "with parent"/"w/o parent" figure and just focus on the the tuition/health insurance figure. If possible, I definitely recommend having your parent's health insurance for as long as possible because it does save about $3,500 (and you can use that to buy books/equipment!)

If you are 22 and older, you are required to file as an independent and you are not required to put your parent's information in the FAFSA. Even if you do, it will not affect your EFC. Aaaand your EFC doesn't mean much anyways because the tuition greatly exceeds your EFC so you can borrow the maximum amount allowed plus GRAD plus loans.

Feel free to ask more questions. (haha just did my FAFSA a couple of days ago)

Thank you; that was very helpful. :D

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for housing and I want to have an idea of what my budget is towards it. If my assumption was correct and by "with parent" they meant "living with parent" and by "w/o parent" they meant "living without parent", then the difference between the two values (8,370) would be the approximate budget for housing.

I already began entering in parental info on my FAFSA, so I'll probably continue doing so knowing that it won't affect my EFC anyway. However, since I'm on the topic of the FAFSA...you don't have to do taxes when you don't work, right? So without tax returns, where do you get the info you need to fill out your FAFSA? Or do the loans you take out somehow count as income? Or is it based on the interest accrued by the loans? Sorry if I'm asking a lot; figure I might as well, lol.

I had similar questions regarding financial aid last year when i was in your shoes. I made an appointment with Tanya in financial aid in June or so, and it was really helpful and took all the guess work out of the entire process. I can't recommend doing that enough. everyone up in financial aid is very approachable, and i've found them really helpful.

Thank you; that was very helpful. :D

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for housing and I want to have an idea of what my budget is towards it. If my assumption was correct and by "with parent" they meant "living with parent" and by "w/o parent" they meant "living without parent", then the difference between the two values (8,370) would be the approximate budget for housing.

I already began entering in parental info on my FAFSA, so I'll probably continue doing so knowing that it won't affect my EFC anyway. However, since I'm on the topic of the FAFSA...you don't have to do taxes when you don't work, right? So without tax returns, where do you get the info you need to fill out your FAFSA? Or do the loans you take out somehow count as income? Or is it based on the interest accrued by the loans? Sorry if I'm asking a lot; figure I might as well, lol.

If you did not work, you put a 0 for everything dealing with income (other than bank interests, etc)

Loans are definitely not counted as income.

anyone in B group OMM today?

Awkwarddddd....

f'in eh. another 5.5% increase in tuition...sigh I really hate NYCOM. With them firing one our best profs and all the other BS they do what the F is my money paying for? A BIG :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: to NYCOM

it sucks, but this economic crisis is a nice "excuse" to jack up tuition

Does anyone know who they'll be using as a lender for their Stafford loan? I'm guessing most people stick with Sallie Mae...?

Does anyone know who they'll be using as a lender for their Stafford loan? I'm guessing most people stick with Sallie Mae...?

I'm starting to wonder why people use Sallie Mae when they have no benefits? Discover seems that much better. What am I missing? :confused:

Well, if it helps anyone else, I did a big loan search last year and found different things offered by different companies. It seems like some of the banks have taken back some of their benefit offerings for this year, but some probably just haven't updated their websites. I'd recommend you call to confirm what I write below:

Citibank: 1% origination, 1% default
last year, said 0.5% rate reduction when start repayment
last year, said 0.25% rate reduction when auto-debit and electronic statements
waive last 6 payments if all paid on time
Sallie Mae: 1% origination, 1% default
last year, 0.25% rate reduction: not on website anymore!
Discover: 0% origination, 0% default
0.25% rate reduction for auto-debit
Access Group: 1% origination, as low as 0% default depending on guarantor used by school

I guess I'd go with Discover for unsub, but they're actually somewhat new to the business of these loans... so I'm kind of scared. I also have the max subsidized loan from Sallie Mae last year and I wonder if that'll be annoying. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Well, if it helps anyone else, I did a big loan search last year and found different things offered by different companies. It seems like some of the banks have taken back some of their benefit offerings for this year, but some probably just haven't updated their websites. I'd recommend you call to confirm what I write below:

Citibank: 1% origination, 1% default
last year, said 0.5% rate reduction when start repayment
last year, said 0.25% rate reduction when auto-debit and electronic statements
waive last 6 payments if all paid on time
Sallie Mae: 1% origination, 1% default
last year, 0.25% rate reduction: not on website anymore!
Discover: 0% origination, 0% default
Access Group: 1% origination, as low as 0% default depending on guarantor used by school

I guess I'd go with Discover for unsub, but they're actually somewhat new to the business of these loans... so I'm kind of scared. I also have the max subsidized loan from Sallie Mae last year and I wonder if that'll be annoying. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I would think that the waiving of fees is the most important since it's an immediate benefit that you don't "earn". Paying back everything on-time every month is usually a tough task to do (or so I've read on several sites), so those types of benefits should be given least priority. Also, the GRAD Plus benefits weren't mentioned; I know that Discover lowers the rate from 8.5% to 8.25% fixed, which I haven't seen anywhere else. :)

Does anyone else out there think it's a bit fishy that we have to buy into the NYCOM United Health Insurance plan if we aren't covered by a spouse/parent/Medicaid?
From what I understand, a lot of schools do this, and they get by by saying that's it's a non-academic term that you agree to when you enroll and I can imagine that NYCOM did the same thing to us. I'm covered by my dad until October, but after that, I have to pay this $4k or so for NYCOM/United. But I've found other plans for cheaper (like one offered by AMSA/United for about $2k! https://www.uhcsr.com/amsa). The problem that it isn't as extensive as the NYCOM plan is and Linda and the deans are probably going to deny my request on those grounds.
Is anyone else in the same boat ie not covered by their parents anymore and looking to be insured for less than 4k? Or does anyone else think that it's kind of wrong that they force us to take their coverage? I'd like to see if there's anyone else like me before I do battle against Linda and the deans...

btw, how's derm going, guys? I've basically stopped studying...

Does anyone else out there think it's a bit fishy that we have to buy into the NYCOM United Health Insurance plan if we aren't covered by a spouse/parent/Medicaid?
From what I understand, a lot of schools do this, and they get by by saying that's it's a non-academic term that you agree to when you enroll and I can imagine that NYCOM did the same thing to us. I'm covered by my dad until October, but after that, I have to pay this $4k or so for NYCOM/United. But I've found other plans for cheaper (like one offered by AMSA/United for about $2k! https://www.uhcsr.com/amsa). The problem that it isn't as extensive as the NYCOM plan is and Linda and the deans are probably going to deny my request on those grounds.
Is anyone else in the same boat ie not covered by their parents anymore and looking to be insured for less than 4k? Or does anyone else think that it's kind of wrong that they force us to take their coverage? I'd like to see if there's anyone else like me before I do battle against Linda and the deans...

btw, how's derm going, guys? I've basically stopped studying...

I had a similar discussion with Linda last year and was told that given the number of students, individual requests to obtain their own coverage would not to honored and that the options were as you mentioned, coverage by spouse/parent, Medicaid, and obtaining school insurance. I doubt that this has changed much since January when we had this discussion.

The school plan did prorate my coverage based on my buy-in date. And check with your parents insurance because mine covered me until the end of the calendar year that I met the age restriction.

Good luck if you plan to try.

Wow, that's kind of ridiculous, is it not? Them doing this could potentially save us a couple thousand dollars each and they think it's too much work so they don't do it? Yeah, now I think I'm going to have to do something before the school year ends.

Anyone else?

that plan that you found might accept you this year but as soon as you step foot into a hospital many providers consider you a high risk case, since we'll be constantly surrounded by sick people so they may not give you coverage at that rate.

Thanks for the heads up. Actually, I'm just pissed because they don't even give us a choice because of their own convenience. At least this plan would have saved me some money now...

Modern updated 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath side-by-side duplex, overlooking Hempstead Harbor, deck, patio, yard, off-street parking for 3 cars, A/C, washer/dryer, dishwasher, mexican tile and hardwood flooring, small pets ok, near colleges & transportation, North Shore School District, August occupancy, $2,800.00 + utilities. Security deposit required.

Contact Alex at 516-676-0411
Mention Shannon, NYCOM third-year

One bedroom available in a 3 bedroom apartment for rent in Sea Cliff, 10 minutes from NYCOM. The two other rooms are occupied by 2nd year NYCOM students. Looking for females only!

Apartment Includes: full bath, specious living room, big kitchen, dining area with sliding doors to the deck.

Room comes with a garage.

Rent: $800
Everything included in the rent – electricity, gas, cable and internet, central air conditioning and telephone!

Ray Gilmore
646-321-0237
Valentina Gilmore
917-517-4121
[email protected]

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but what are my chances of acceptance:

3.0 overall, 3.5 science, 29P MCAT
1 abstract published
500 hours of ER research experience
ER volunteer experience

You should check out the NYCOM thread in the pre-osteopathic forum (under the class specific subdivision). There is a lot of information there on stats, chances, etc. Good luck!

There are still rooms available. Rooms range from $525 to $625. Gas, water internet, and cable included. Short walk from the beach and train station. 10 mins. from NYCOM. Couple of second year NYCOMers live there. Two full bathrooms. Living room. Basement for storage. Fenced in backyard. Large EIK with microwave, dishwasher, and 2 refrigerators. Parking in the driveway. Heat, landscaping, housekeeping, cable TV, and internet are included. 10 minute drive from NYCOM campus. Peter Bianco 516-728-5355 ([email protected])

second years...im a third year now who is trying to sell tons of useful boards books for a ridicoulsy cheap price to make room for third year books....i read these books and did the questions and passed the boards with no problem --- books include:

1) first aid q and a for usmle
2) robbins quick review pathology (the one with questions)
3) first aid cases for the usmle
4) brs neuroanatomy, brs biochemistry, brs histology
5) multiple ucv books (ultimate clinical vignettes)
6) brs flash cards for micro (lots of bugs on the boards), pharm, path, and biochem

i'm going to sell them all as a package --- seriously, the books are useful for early board prep so u dont freak out next spring --- private message me or reply to this thread and ill ffigure out how to contact u if u r interested