NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm really ticked off that they MAKING us go to this convocation thing. I mean, its not like we have a quiz on Monday Or that the group A people have to dissect on Tuesday and we got an Anatomy Practical and an Exam next Monday. No, no, we have to sit around for 4 hours and say our name from a microphone :rolleyes:. Good job NYCOM admin...Seriously, why couldn't they have this thing before classes started??

How do they verify that we are there? What in theory would happen if we failed to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard a rumor that attendance is taken twice, once at the beginning and once at the end. I can't promise if thats true or not though.

I don't think attendance was even taken once...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that we would have been penalized, had they taken attendance?

well, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter because they didn't. but i don't see how they could have had it affect your grade... its not built into the syllabus in any way. the only thing they could do is take away streaming privileges or something stupid like that. or they could have had someone stalk us to make sure that we never have fun ever haha. they're pretty much already doing that

attendance is to suffer
hey i dont even know what is the subject of ur ask

hellooo guys im new here medical student from algeria i just wanna trade medical informations with u be nice

ohh god its 3 ;05 am lool here in algeria its 12:09 am

Good luck on your first anatomy practical!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. it's pretty intimidating.... the mock had a billion and a half things pinned, but we're only going to be asked 40. go figure.

I definitely recommend going over the mock practical 2 different times. either two different days or morning and afternoon. Helps dramatically

Absolutely agreed (except I never went back twice, I usually spent a whole morning in the lab until I had it down solidly), if you can do the mock you'll pass the practical easily.

yeah i went over it twice. I felt waaaay better the 2nd time. yay

Good luck everyone!!!! It's going to be a beast of a written exam. :luck:

Man, this thread really has slowed down. I'll start conversation. Anyone else out there still feel like they can't feel **** in OMM? I might fail the practical. Although, i hear partial credit is super generous... and I can explain everything. i just can't do it lol

FAKE IT til you MAKE IT
they know your palpatory skills arent there yet so just know what you are supposed to do and you shouldnt get under a 90

Man, this thread really has slowed down. I'll start conversation. Anyone else out there still feel like they can't feel **** in OMM? I might fail the practical. Although, i hear partial credit is super generous... and I can explain everything. i just can't do it lol

just work and do as best as you can. you won't fail, you'll do fine. i still struggle with OMM, but i think we're all struggling and it is something we need more time and practice to develop. in the meantime, just go through the motions and do the best you can. i'm sure we'll do fine! :thumbup: good luck studying

You guys will love MSK. Dr. Simon is wonderful (albeit a little deaf...he's been teaching at NYCOM since the school opened.)

You guys will love MSK. Dr. Simon is wonderful (albeit a little deaf...he's been teaching at NYCOM since the school opened.)

Agreed. Simon is awesome. An Wolfie really runs a good thread. YOu can tell how much he cares about making MSK as good as it can be. He is pretty much at every lecture so he knows how to put together fair complete tests.

awesome! I don't know if MSK is going to be a walk in the park (I doubt it) but it can't be worse than Intro... maybe neuro can be worse...?

Neuro is worse. In fact it might be the worst, but that is really a matter of opinion.

damn. this med school thing is out of control... I expected it to be intense and I expected to study a lot... but realizing it's coming and actually experiencing it are totally different.

can't help but feel a little burnt out and it's only fundamentals

I'm gonna throw a comment out there and probably get yelled at, but i didn't think intro was bad at all. It was just like fast college. if this is all med school is like than i can totally handle that. now residency on the other hand... that should be interesting

YAY FOR OSTEOBLAST TOM. NIGHT :laugh:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LOL, I wonder how many people will skip class today ;)

most people just came in pretty wrecked....

most people just came in pretty wrecked....

Good times last night! :) Don Juan's was so much better than where we had it last year...congrats on finishing Intro and good luck with MSK and beyond!

Hey fellow first years and second years. First year here. Lately I've been feeling very depressed and quite unmotivated about this whole medical school thing. I feel tired all the time and have no energy to study anymore. Does NYCOM have a counseling service for its students? I really think I need to talk to someone about this because I'm just not sure if this is worth it anymore.:(

Hey fellow first years and second years. First year here. Lately I've been feeling very depressed and quite unmotivated about this whole medical school thing. I feel tired all the time and have no energy to study anymore. Does NYCOM have a counseling service for its students? I really think I need to talk to someone about this because I'm just not sure if this is worth it anymore.:(

Hi,

Talk to Dr. Robert Goldblatt,Phd ASAP. He counsels NYCOM students and is a psychologist. I'm not sure if you would need to go through the NYCOM clinic in Nycom II or if you can email him directly at [email protected].

Med school is pretty tough and we all go through ups and downs. Thankfully there's always a great support system amongst your peers, your family and the NYCOM faculty/staff.

Thanks for the response. I will send him an email and try to get in touch with him.

Firstly as another poster said talk to Dr. Goldblatt, but in general there are alot of factors here that you need to think about.

1. Many Many students are burnt out and unmotivated after fundamentals. In fact, thats the most dangerous factor when dealing with MSK! Most people get lax because of the lighter schedule, and struggle to catch up. However, what you are feeling is NORMAL and will happen many times over the next four years.

2. The most important thing you need to do asap is involve yourself in a club or try and make a few friends that you can vent to, party with, roll your eyes at Dr. friedmans lectures at, complain about the tests, anatomy, the admins etc....
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY LEARN HOW TO TAKE BREAKS! YOU NEED THEM AND DESERVE THEM!

3. Do not let other smarter students psyche you out and tell you how "easy" school is for them. Wonderful, Im sure they will be kick ass docs because they are good at taking tests. Bottom line is, facing adversity at this level can only make you stronger and ready for harder and more difficult situations later in life.

4. It is absolutely CRUCIAL to be upbeat and positive and have supreme CONFIDENCE in your abilities, because at the end of the day that is all you have to get you through the hard times. You are feeling crappy right now, and that might be becasue yu didnt do well or becasue you are just plain burnt out, but I know people who failed their first course, and through that stress pulled through last year and are ACEING tests this year.

I was PISSED thoughout Nuero, I was LIVID at the crap we had to put up with, but in the end, when you make it through, you feel like a doc on training. Right now you hear TONS of negetaivity from the administration, but thats their "thing". We have a Military backround dean and this is how he runs his school.

However, the student body from the fourth years down are so amazingly nice and friendly, and you can go over to anyone of them at any point and discuss this issue with them. It IS a life changing issue and dont forget that it is four years and some residency. You dont have to go into a field that demands you work 80 hour weeks... There is light at the end of the tunnel....

Coming from me this is all huge... trust me, or ask those who know who I am.

Peace, and good luck.

Man, you guys (2nd years) are amazing. Thanks so much for your advice and your PMs. I have made an appointment with Dr. Goldblatt so I hope that goes well. I've been feeling better this week. The work load of MSK has been much better than the work load for fundamentals. I think the main reason I have been feeling down and unmotivated is the fact that my other firends who are working and not in school seem to be having a better time out there than I am at school. I just think im tired of studying. After four years of college, getting up and forcing myself to just study is getting to be quite a task. I loved doing reaserch while in undergrad so I think I might want to get back into that to keep me occupided. I think I am going to be hanging out with you second years more. Once again, thanks for your advice and help. You have made me feel like there are actually students that care here. :thumbup:

Man, you guys (2nd years) are amazing. Thanks so much for your advice and your PMs. I have made an appointment with Dr. Goldblatt so I hope that goes well. I've been feeling better this week. The work load of MSK has been much better than the work load for fundamentals. I think the main reason I have been feeling down and unmotivated is the fact that my other firends who are working and not in school seem to be having a better time out there than I am at school. I just think im tired of studying. After four years of college, getting up and forcing myself to just study is getting to be quite a task. I loved doing reaserch while in undergrad so I think I might want to get back into that to keep me occupided. I think I am going to be hanging out with you second years more. Once again, thanks for your advice and help. You have made me feel like there are actually students that care here. :thumbup:

I hope you find what you are looking for, but keep in mind that the best place to do research might be in a medical school. ;)

And every single second year went though first year... of course we care! You should read though the 2011 thread and hear what those second years had to say to get us calm.

Oh and studying sucks for everyone. I would say that at a certain point, it becomes less tedious, its really the stress that comes with studying that pushes students over the edge.

As for your friends, just remember that most professions will make you work very very hard. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Im not one to convince you to be something that you dont have the passion for, but I know that the admin never once made me feel like they wanted to be a doctor, but the faculty and student body is really really awesome. (They are all in AC now so wait till tuesday to speak to them ;)

Good Luck!

There are a lot of students that actually care here. I don't understand why you feel this way. Did you go out of your way to make friends in your own year? One of the reasons why I got through fundamentals was going out of my way in the first few days to make friends because they will be my life support the next four years.

eh my main gripe is that you come to SDN in our class thread and you see some responses from 2nd years and all of a sudden you get this epiphany that there are "students that actually care here" (the 2nd years) Maybe you should hang around the FIRST YEARS more because they are going through the exact same thing as you are going through right now. Forget your other friends that are not in your school. You should be making friends in your own school because they will motivate you. We all motivate each other.

Just keep your chin up. Med school is tough no doubt. Go to the NYCOM Class of 2012 facebook group. It seems like that is a better alternative than SDN. If you post on it, I'll reply to it and tell you where the parties are at so you can de-stress and make friends. We won't bite. :) I apologize for the harsh tone above. It upsets me to see someone that is lost and don't realize that the answer is right in his/her own lecture hall.

Just keep your chin up. Med school is tough no doubt. Go to the NYCOM Class of 2012 facebook group. It seems like that is a better alternative than SDN. If you post on it, I'll reply to it and tell you where the parties are at so you can de-stress and make friends. We won't bite. :) I apologize for the harsh tone above. It upsets me to see someone that is lost and don't realize that the answer is right in his/her own lecture hall.

awww

you're so right! :p

congratulations to everyone who successfully palpated their way (on the pubic tubercle) into Neuro tomorrow.

holy s*** at that anatomy prac. and the grades for it. I wonder if the pass will still be 70 for MSK, or if it will be lower?