NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also interviewed on Feb 15, and I am currently alternate status. Did anyone who is alternate status get an email? Only thing I noticed was a change on Webstar from "Invited for Interview" to "Alternate Status"

Members don't see this ad.

I also interviewed on Feb 15, and I am currently alternate status. Did anyone who is alternate status get an email? Only thing I noticed was a change on Webstar from "Invited for Interview" to "Alternate Status"

No e-mail, just the webstar change.

Medschool is what you make of it. It is your job to know every topic a doctor is expected to know and to learn it for the boards and shelf exams. School classes are supposed to point you in the right direction, it helps some it doesn't for others. Find out, buy the board review books before m1 year and get to it. You have 2yrs to learn x info. If classes teach it great, if not get to it. Medstudents are supposed to be motivated independent learners. There are Nova students that have done PMR at Stanford and have gone into Neurosurgery at PCOM. The school won't push you, and they shouldn't be expected to. Its what you make of it.

In IGC clinic there are some students who sit there and just watch the doctor do things and there are others that run through the patient charts for the day and pick the cases they want to see and beg to do procedures. This is during M1 year. Off course there are others that don't even show up. Its what you make of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email update today requesting correspondence on continued interest in the university.

Interviewed 3/4, accepted 3/15. I really liked Nova, and am planning on attending. Out of curiosity, what would you all choose if it came down to Nova and FAU's new school?

Interviewed 3/4, accepted 3/15. I really liked Nova, and am planning on attending. Out of curiosity, what would you all choose if it came down to Nova and FAU's new school?

It would come down to the osteopathic vs allopathic debate. Do you think you may want to apply to allopathic residencies? Being a US MD is in and of itself an advantage. DOs who get into MD programs often have to have stronger credentials than most of the MD applicants.

Some MD programs will straight up not take DOs. Some allopathic rotation sites won't take DOs period (U Maryland EM for example; they do have DOs in the program, so go figure). Then you have to factor in whether you want to take 5 board exams, as opposed to 3 (steps 1 and 2 of usmle, in addition to steps 1 and 2 of the comlex, and the PE), how big are you really on the idea of OMM, having a more flexible 4th year curriculum, instead of dealing with 2 months of rural family practice in a time slot over which you have no control. So, going to an allopathic school in some ways will simplify your life...

It would come down to the osteopathic vs allopathic debate. Do you think you may want to apply to allopathic residencies? Being a US MD is in and of itself an advantage. DOs who get into MD programs often have to have stronger credentials than most of the MD applicants.

Some MD programs will straight up not take DOs. Some allopathic rotation sites won't take DOs period (U Maryland EM for example; they do have DOs in the program, so go figure). Then you have to factor in whether you want to take 5 board exams, as opposed to 3 (steps 1 and 2 of usmle, in addition to steps 1 and 2 of the comlex, and the PE), how big are you really on the idea of OMM, having a more flexible 4th year curriculum, instead of dealing with 2 months of rural family practice in a time slot over which you have no control. So, going to an allopathic school in some ways will simplify your life...

The initial FAU class will not have to pay tuition for all 4 years. For most people the choice will be pretty easy. :)

Haha, that too! I didn't know about that. Should be a no brainer then!

to me.. the DO/MD debate all depends on what kind of doc u want to be. I think if u want to do military,primary care, neuro maybe neurosurg, ortho, NMM, or sports med/PM&R do DO. Possibly Derm might be easier the DO route, just bc it is a completely different residency and billing for OMM in ur derm practice will make bank. Everything else it will be the same if not harder to get into. Some programs DO does not have such as Rad Onc u have to do the md match.

Fau program is new, not accredited, no established rotation sites or professors and no noteable alums at Residencies to help you out thats why tuition will be mostly free. In southflorida everything was either Nova with broward/palm beach and UM with miami. Now its UM.FIU,NSU,and FAU which sucks. They will all be battling it out for 3rd/4th year clinical rotations. Advantage goes to Nova probably only bc of the hospitals with only osteopathic residencies if u want to say do Orthopedic surgery at Broward general.

I interviewed on 3/1 and was placed on alternate status 4/8. I received an email regarding this yesterday as other people have said on here. Any other alternates out there able to find more information on it? Any chance we have an idea of how many people are actually alternates/how many alternates are taken on average? Im hoping that I will know with some time to spare because I am up in chicago and would need to get everything together for a move and preferably give my job 2 weeks notice. All I know is this is exactly where I want to go so I hope its soon!

to me.. the DO/MD debate all depends on what kind of doc u want to be. I think if u want to do military,primary care, neuro maybe neurosurg, ortho, NMM, or sports med/PM&R do DO. Possibly Derm might be easier the DO route, just bc it is a completely different residency and billing for OMM in ur derm practice will make bank. Everything else it will be the same if not harder to get into. Some programs DO does not have such as Rad Onc u have to do the md match.

Fau program is new, not accredited, no established rotation sites or professors and no noteable alums at Residencies to help you out thats why tuition will be mostly free. In southflorida everything was either Nova with broward/palm beach and UM with miami. Now its UM.FIU,NSU,and FAU which sucks. They will all be battling it out for 3rd/4th year clinical rotations. Advantage goes to Nova probably only bc of the hospitals with only osteopathic residencies if u want to say do Orthopedic surgery at Broward general.

I would agree except for the bolded. The ACGME residencies still have pretty big bias in these fields against DO (only 3 matched ortho last year, 1 in neuro and 1 derm).

As far as AOA residencies, there are 85 ortho spots, 26 derm and 12 neurosurgery, which probably means even stiffer competition than MDs since so few spots. Either way, as an MD or DO, these are very tough specialties to get into.

anyone have an idea how competitive DO residencies in anesthesia would be? or for DO applicants applying to MD residencies in anesthesia? Would it be closer to derm/neurosurg or towards internal medicine in terms of difficulty?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have an idea how competitive DO residencies in anesthesia would be? or for DO applicants applying to MD residencies in anesthesia? Would it be closer to derm/neurosurg or towards internal medicine in terms of difficulty?

closer to IM. DOs fare very well in the ACGME anesthesia match, but you'll have to take the USMLE.

I interviewed on 3/1 and was placed on alternate status 4/8. I received an email regarding this yesterday as other people have said on here. Any other alternates out there able to find more information on it? Any chance we have an idea of how many people are actually alternates/how many alternates are taken on average? Im hoping that I will know with some time to spare because I am up in chicago and would need to get everything together for a move and preferably give my job 2 weeks notice. All I know is this is exactly where I want to go so I hope its soon!

If you look through the old class discussion threads, you'll see most movement occurs towards the end of the summer. Some people are denied, some are given deferred acceptance for next year. I'm in the same boat. Good luck!

If you look through the old class discussion threads, you'll see most movement occurs towards the end of the summer. Some people are denied, some are given deferred acceptance for next year. I'm in the same boat. Good luck!

I went through last year's thread and didn't see any comments from alternates being denied or deferred? Which thread were you referring to?

2008-2009 had a denial and some deferrals... if I remember correctly, 2009-2010 had some deferrals as well. I doubt many people will post anything about denial.

2008-2009 had a denial and some deferrals... if I remember correctly, 2009-2010 had some deferrals as well. I doubt many people will post anything about denial.

Just got a status update email from Ms Rondino asking me if I wanted to remain in the alternate list.

Hello, I just received an email saying that my application is being reviewed by the committee, but that my official transcripts need to be sent in? I was also just recently placed on the alternate status. Anyone have an idea what that means?

I received an email and a call requesting updated transcript information today. Did anyone else have this happen?

I received an email and a call requesting updated transcript information today. Did anyone else have this happen?

Same happened to me and others about a month ago. Called Ms Rondino and she said it had nothing to do with the admission process...but who knows.

I've got a question for anyone who's a current student at NSUCOM, particularly a 2nd year:

I'm accepted to NSUCOM c/o 2015 and I'm a Navy HPSP guy. I have to do 5 weeks of officer training in Rhode Island either this summer before I start or next summer. Doing it this summer is going to be kind of difficult so I'm trying to see if doing it next summer is a viable option. I looked at the academic calendar and at the available training dates next summer and it turns out that I could do the training during our M1 Field Experience/Community Service period but the training will keep me a little late. I will miss the first week of the M1 Summer Session after it reconvenes on July 9th.

My question is this: are they going to have a problem with my missing that week, if I can tell them in advance? If I read the curriculum correctly, it looks like all we're doing during that session is Preclinical Preceptorship. Can anyone tell me what this Summer Session is like and give me an idea about whether I'll be able to get excused for missing that first week?

P.S.: I have to know the answer to this question by Monday! :eek:

moved from alternate to accepted this week, so the list is moving, have faith duders!

moved from alternate to accepted this week, so the list is moving, have faith duders!

Congrats globally! How did you find out? Did they tell you something before they accepted you? ...like you were in a favorable position?

was kind of unusual actually, i'd been trying the entire week to contact ellen, or anyone in the admissions office, to see if there was anything i could do to strengthen my application at this point, information on the alternate status list, and the process behind deferrals for next year

made it through to ellen on my third try and she said she had actually tried calling me earlier that week to inform me of an open seat, so we went from there

we did talk for a bit before the conversation went to that point, and she said most of the transfers from alternate to accepted will start at the end of may and continue through to july or so

but before that conversation i had no indication whether or not i was in a favorable position or not, the only thing i recieved was the e-mail about updating my transcripts with the university

Hey globally, do you mind posting your stats so we have an idea where we are in the list, if you don't mind telling us :)

GPA was only 3.17, both cum and sci, though since going pre-med my GPA was 3.55 cum (almost exclusively science courses)
MCAT was 28O taken 08/09
degrees in cell and molecular biology, respiratory therapy, and minor in chemistry, associate in respiratory therapy
5 years working as a respiratory therapist, a year working with handicapped individuals prior to that
tons of volunteer and extra curriculars including a semester abroad studying/travelling/volunteering, mission trip to peru, growing up overseas, organizing community health events, volunteering at local clinics, etc.

that about covers it, i think my healthcare experiences and extras are what saved me, 4 years of dicking around in college made my GPA pretty much unsalvagable

I hope someone who is passionate about NSU gets my seat. :)

Last edited:
For my first post.....I would be delighted to take your seat hahah :D

Any new/exciting news recently?? Currently still on the Alternate Status and hoping for good news soon!

I interviewed at NSU in mid January and did not hear anything from them for three months despite being told we would hear back in 3-4 weeks. I tried to call to ask about it and got passed around to multiple offices. No one seemed to really know anything about it. I emailed and was simply told that because they had limited seats, it was slowing down the acceptance process (by 3x the time they had told us?).

I was eventually put on alternate status as of mid April. I really liked NSU when I interviewed there but I felt waiting three months to be put on the alternate list was really unprofessional after the original quote of max 4 weeks. I mean, after not hearing anything I assumed I would be waitlisted, but it just gave me a really bad vibe about the administration at the school. I'm sure there were better candidates they wanted to accept first, but just put me on alternate status right away and take me off later then. Maybe this is just a common thing after interviews, but to me it just seemed really off.

I was accepted four days later. If I hadn't already written NSU off I may have considered accepting my seat but I'd rather be at my state school, taking out less loans with better technology and an administration that is personable and caring.

That being said, I hope someone who is passionate about NSU gets my seat. :)
Boohoo...

Always love to see people complain that they got accepted but their butt is hurt because they did not find out fast enough to their liking. You act as if things would have been better if they would have just told you no.

Hahaha, here come the flames. Congrats to Globally for getting in! I hope to join you when this list starts moving!

Hey everybody! I was accepted at VCOM (one of my alma mater's med schools) on Monday. I have decided to attend VCOM, and thus will be withdrawing my acceptance at NSU within the next day or so. I hope one of you qualified SDN'ers still waiting for an acceptance gets my spot. Good luck!

Hey everybody! I was accepted at VCOM (one of my alma mater's med schools) on Monday. I have decided to attend VCOM, and thus will be withdrawing my acceptance at NSU within the next day or so. I hope one of you qualified SDN'ers still waiting for an acceptance gets my spot. Good luck!

Good luck to you :)

I was accepted off the wait list today! Woohoo! (Obligatory smiley faces and such) :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

To all of you still waiting, good luck! Let me know if there's any questions I can answer about the process to make you feel more comfortable/strategize.

Last edited:
I was accepted off the wait list today! Woohoo! (Obligatory smiley faces and such) :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

To all of you still waiting, good luck! Let me know if there's any questions I can answer about the process to make you feel more comfortable/strategize.

Hey 21p congrats, I was just wondering if you sent the program anything extra which helped you get off the alternate list (LOI, recs, emails, phone calls). Thanks

hey everyone! i was just accepted off the waitlist at evms and will be declining my seat at NSU! will be giving it up as soon as i figure out who to contact. hope it goes to one of you waiting!!!!!

Last edited:
Where exactly in the website is the link to order our white coats? Specific directions would be greatly appreciated.

My application was just Denied to the DO program at Nova.
Suck.
My application was just Accepted to the MBS program.
Yay!

So I guess I'll be seeing you around in a few classes this fall anyhow.

Good luck everyone still waiting to hear back.

Hey everyone... Just checking in regarding the alternate status situations. For those people who have been fortunate enough to get accepted off the list was there anything additional that you were doing (calling....emailing???) I spoke with Ellen the other day and she did say that most movement wont still happen for a bit until there is more movement in the MD schools and people that are holding a seat at Nova are accepted to other schools off of the alternate lists there. So I guess it will be kind of a cascade event going on once movement starts anywhere. Ill just have to keep my fingers crossed because I know for sure that Nova is exactly where I want to go without question. Good luck everyone!

My application was just Denied to the DO program at Nova.
Suck.
My application was just Accepted to the MBS program.
Yay!

So I guess I'll be seeing you around in a few classes this fall anyhow.

Good luck everyone still waiting to hear back.

If it's anything like when I was an M1, you'll basically be part of the class apart from sitting with the rest of the MBS "clique(sp?)" MBS is a really good program, the people who did it and are graduating with me are all going to be great docs.

i know this is way late, but congrats man, i'll see you down there!

Hey everyone... Just checking in regarding the alternate status situations. For those people who have been fortunate enough to get accepted off the list was there anything additional that you were doing (calling....emailing???) I spoke with Ellen the other day and she did say that most movement wont still happen for a bit until there is more movement in the MD schools and people that are holding a seat at Nova are accepted to other schools off of the alternate lists there. So I guess it will be kind of a cascade event going on once movement starts anywhere. Ill just have to keep my fingers crossed because I know for sure that Nova is exactly where I want to go without question. Good luck everyone!

again, kind of late, but i didn't do anything extra but call. coincidentally, when ellen told me i was accepted i was calling to see if there was anything else i could send in to strengthen my application. she mentioned a "letter of intent" which i'd never even heard of, but basically seemed like another type of letter of rec.

if you have any specific questions i still check this periodically, so i'll try to answer anything that comes up

Thanks globally and congrats on getting accepted. Ill keep my fingers crossed that I will be there with you in the fall!

Hey guys- I am still on alternate status but I am trying to be optimistic and plan ahead for the financial side of things. Does anyone know if I can submit Fafsa to the school if I am on the alternate list and not actually accepted to the school yet? Also does anyone know if nsu-com requires the parental information to be entered in fafsa? Also, does anyone know much about the military scholarships that are available and when those have to be applied for by? Thanks in advance to anyone who has answers :)

Accepted today!! Interviewed 2/24 and alternate listed!! Soo excited!