NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He said his piece, now i feel like it's time to move forward and let us discuss it if we choose. Arguing back and forth in our threadspace will waste the topic for people who are still waiting and those who have already been accepted. Believe me, I am taking his post into consideration. I think it's kinda silly to draw battlelines with a crowd who hasn't even matriculated.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing will change at NSU by sitting back and suppressing his opinions or destroying his credibility. He is venting, obviously, and I'm glad some of his points were clarified but the fact that he had to scramble without the assistance of the school is not something that we should be rationalizing away. Why is it such an issue to demand resources to help scrambling students find spots? The administration has no problem rewarding students who would've been successful anywhere but when someone is struggling they leave them tossing in the wind and that isn't right. If I was faced with the scramble and told that there were no resources to help me I'm not sure I would associate myself with the school ever again after graduation, despite everything else they may or may not have done.

This obviously shouldn't define NSU since they have many other bright areas, but I find that there is A LOT of rationalizing going on when the weaknesses are pointed out that leads to absolutely no change whatsoever.

Edit: The "cry baby" remark was unnecessary. First, he wasn't talking about matching EM, only that he wasn't helped during the scramble. Our degrees are absolutely useless without residency, and for those having to scramble, it becomes a real possibility that they face a year of doing nothing while their massive debt accrues interest. It is not an unreasonable thing to want more help from the school in finding a position.

You're right, the cry baby remark was unfair. I poke my head in around here occasionally and I'm frustrated with unbelievable amount of NSU bashing. It reflects terribly on the school. I agree that we should have a more set up path for scrambling, but I after I saw that post I asked around and it looks like the guy had help, just not as much as he wanted. And he matched into a TRI so it's not like he has no ability to pay his bills next year.

Yes but they're not rotating right now, which is what I think the guy was referencing. And who thought south Florida needed another medical school? We need residency spots!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right, the cry baby remark was unfair. I poke my head in around here occasionally and I'm frustrated with unbelievable amount of NSU bashing!

This is a rule of the internet, rarely will people come on forums to say something positive, most people are looking to vent.

So how far is the gym away from the campus? ;) I still can't decide what I want to do about housing. I definitely want a roommate, but do I want to live with on-campus housing? I still don't know!

you should buy an RV trailer and live in the parking lot. You would be the first to arrive in class and the first to get home...

bi-winning.jpg

Hahahaha, but seriously... it's crazy expensive down there. I am considering buying an RV if I get in, b/c it would be just about as expensive as renting and you could drive wherever you wanted for a weekend when you needed to get away. You can room with me if you go halfsies..

where are a majority of the medical students going to be living at? i havnt even started looking at housing yet

where are a majority of the medical students going to be living at? i havnt even started looking at housing yet

Sundance, Sunforest, Royal Grand, Palm trace, Gardens at Nova, are some of the closest apartment building you can find. Sundance and Sunforest are walking distance to the campus, and this is where you will find a ton of nsu students living.

Of course, you can live in graduate housing at rolling hills. The accommodations are nice, but mad expensive, and requires a shuttle ride to campus. I would NOT recommend it.

I lived at Sundance for 3 years. It was very convenient. If you can room with a classmate, even better. The quality of apartments varies, as some landlords have put in a lot of renovation work in their apartments, and you can get new-ish looking apartments with tiled floors, granite countertops etc. Other apartments, - not so much. My suggestion is to go with something walking distance, and save yourself plenty of time, and (gas) money. Remember, nova is very anal about showing up to tests on time. If you are even 5 seconds late (I have seen this happen with my own two eyes), they will kick you out, and you have to do a make up exam. South Florida traffic SUCKS, and you don't want to be stuck in a traffic commute because of a car wreck/whatever on test day.

Sundance, Sunforest, Royal Grand, Palm trace, Gardens at Nova, are some of the closest apartment building you can find. Sundance and Sunforest are walking distance to the campus, and this is where you will find a ton of nsu students living.

Of course, you can live in graduate housing at rolling hills. The accommodations are nice, but mad expensive, and requires a shuttle ride to campus. I would NOT recommend it.

I lived at Sundance for 3 years. It was very convenient. If you can room with a classmate, even better. The quality of apartments varies, as some landlords have put in a lot of renovation work in their apartments, and you can get new-ish looking apartments with tiled floors, granite countertops etc. Other apartments, - not so much. My suggestion is to go with something walking distance, and save yourself plenty of time, and (gas) money. Remember, nova is very anal about showing up to tests on time. If you are even 5 seconds late (I have seen this happen with my own two eyes), they will kick you out, and you have to do a make up exam. South Florida traffic SUCKS, and you don't want to be stuck in a traffic commute because of a car wreck/whatever on test day.

awesome that's definitely what I was looking for, thanks man. I've been debating about whether I should get a car or not but if I could get a spot that's walking distance, that would be even better. I'm guessing Sundance and Sunforest get filled up quickly right? I live in NJ so I'm not gonna have a chance to visit until may or june

If your roommate's got a car, and is willing to give you rides for groceries, etc., you can go two years without a car. I did it myself. There's always apartments available at sundance and sunforest, since not everyone wants to live there (i don't know why).

Google jill sivert, and get in touch with her. She's a realtor who works with nova students, she got me an apartment there.

it's crazy expensive down there. I am considering buying an RV if I get in, b/c it would be just about as expensive as renting and you could drive wherever you wanted for a weekend when you needed to get away. You can room with me if you go halfsies..

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but it really isn't too bad unless you want to be luxurious and live on the beach or something. You can easily get a 2/2 for 1000-1200/month and split it with a roommate. Or even a triple for the 1200-1300 range and pay even less. This is a bargain compared to any major city and still on the low end for a small-medium sized city. I live in a nice apartment, eat real food (as in not ramen or mac and cheese), have a low car payment, etc and I am still getting by on only ~24-26k in loans for all my living expensives. That includes enough for a couple flights home and a (cheap!) vacation. You can't live many places on a salary of $25k, which is essentially what your loans beyond tuition are- your salary (sick joke, I know).

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but it really isn't too bad unless you want to be luxurious and live on the beach or something. You can easily get a 2/2 for 1000-1200/month and split it with a roommate. Or even a triple for the 1200-1300 range and pay even less. This is a bargain compared to any major city and still on the low end for a small-medium sized city. I live in a nice apartment, eat real food (as in not ramen or mac and cheese), have a low car payment, etc and I am still getting by on only ~24-26k in loans for all my living expensives. That includes enough for a couple flights home and a (cheap!) vacation. You can't live many places on a salary of $25k, which is essentially what your loans beyond tuition are- your salary (sick joke, I know).

Quoted for truth. Coming from another major metropolitan area, I can say the prices really aren't that bad.

thanks for the reality check Kabe, i was a little unsure about how much people took our in loans after tuition. sounds reasonable. i also am a fan of real food. let's start a club.

Anyone hear back yet? I heard that decisions have been made and that they are waiting for the dean to sign but not sure how true this is....

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for a decision. Ellen told me the same thing 2 weeks ago when I called. A few people have been accepted since then. I wonder if they're waiting to see how many people matriculate elsewhere before making final decisions on the last groups of interviews. They could cut down the waitlist that way and not overbook the class... this is just a guess.

Scanning through a few years of studentdoc, it looks like they released a bunch of status updates the first week of april (2008-2009).

Good luck!

I'd like to jump in as another 4th year about to graduate from NSU.

Yes, it sucks the school didn't have a formal system to assist in the scramble. They should probably set something up. However, I feel most of this responsibility falls on the scrambler, not the school. By that, I don't mean it's the student's fault for not matching, because matching can be tough sometimes, but I mean preparing to scramble should be done in advance, not after the fact. For instance, I interviewed at 14 surgical programs, got personal phone calls from multiple surgeons telling me I would match, and the week before the match I still prepared all my paperwork to scramble, set up a fax machine, etc. My chances of not matching were low, but I was going to be ready to go in case I needed to. I talked to our director of clinical education the week before regarding the best game plan.
This boils down to a deeper problem with medical education. I think today's students expect to have their hands held through every step of the way. I realize we pay a lot of money for our education, but I'm not sure that entitles us to be irresponsible and expect the school to save us. NSU had multiple lectures for us that outlined the matching and scrambling process during our 2nd and 3rd year. I guess they foolishly assumed we would pay attention.

I guess thats the end of my rant.

By the way, this is in no way directed at the 4th year posting. I am just mentioning some observations from other people in the same boat.

I'd like to jump in as another 4th year about to graduate from NSU.

Yes, it sucks the school didn't have a formal system to assist in the scramble. They should probably set something up. However, I feel most of this responsibility falls on the scrambler, not the school. By that, I don't mean it's the student's fault for not matching, because matching can be tough sometimes, but I mean preparing to scramble should be done in advance, not after the fact. For instance, I interviewed at 14 surgical programs, got personal phone calls from multiple surgeons telling me I would match, and the week before the match I still prepared all my paperwork to scramble, set up a fax machine, etc. My chances of not matching were low, but I was going to be ready to go in case I needed to. I talked to our director of clinical education the week before regarding the best game plan.
This boils down to a deeper problem with medical education. I think today's students expect to have their hands held through every step of the way. I realize we pay a lot of money for our education, but I'm not sure that entitles us to be irresponsible and expect the school to save us. NSU had multiple lectures for us that outlined the matching and scrambling process during our 2nd and 3rd year. I guess they foolishly assumed we would pay attention.

I guess thats the end of my rant.

Hey Kuba, on the whole, how would you describe your experience at NSU?

I realize it's probably a little late for me to be asking that question, but coming from someone who's about to graduate, what'd you think?

Open up the floor to any 4th years as well!

Hey Kuba, on the whole, how would you describe your experience at NSU?

I realize it's probably a little late for me to be asking that question, but coming from someone who's about to graduate, what'd you think?

Open up the floor to any 4th years as well!

Very positive. I am very happy I came here. Was it perfect? Nope. There is no single medical school, residency, fellowship, etc. They are all awesome and they all suck.
I had the privilege of working with many other students from both MD and DO schools during my clinical years, and I can say without a doubt that we produce some of the best doctors in the country. So yea, administration sucks sometimes, getting rural rotation in Sept/Oct sucks, having a ****ty biochem course sucks, but the end product is great. I feel very confident in my education and would recommend this school to anyone.

Yeah, but now for the most important question---what was your favorite thing to do in Ft. Lauderdale?

Very positive. I am very happy I came here. Was it perfect? Nope. There is no single medical school, residency, fellowship, etc. They are all awesome and they all suck.
I had the privilege of working with many other students from both MD and DO schools during my clinical years, and I can say without a doubt that we produce some of the best doctors in the country. So yea, administration sucks sometimes, getting rural rotation in Sept/Oct sucks, having a ****ty biochem course sucks, but the end product is great. I feel very confident in my education and would recommend this school to anyone.

Can you explain the crappiness of getting a rural rotation then?

so...been looking briefly though this thread and haven't been on SDN lately. Anyways, my only suggestion is that IF you got in/get in to a MD school I would grab it an run. If most of you are like me, this was my LAST option and they took me. The location is great, the staff is great...the problem is in how the prepare you for the boards. The lecture material is very rarely clinically based and that is my only problem with the program. What are the effects of no clinical information...it results in LOW board scores. Keep in mind that its good to be optimistic but I do know MANY classmates that got into a "better" school and they declined to come here. Like I said, I love my decision and the only advice I can give is me patient...the communication scheme sucks down here.

From what I've heard, the rural rotation is assigned to you randomly in 4th year so it might fall into those months that you want to do away rotation at places that you plan to apply for residency.

Those are prime months for away audition rotations. It is usually important to rotate at the top programs you'd like to apply for residency. If you are stuck in a rural rotation you are unable to do this during the time everyone else is.

so...been looking briefly though this thread and haven't been on SDN lately. Anyways, my only suggestion is that IF you got in/get in to a MD school I would grab it an run. If most of you are like me, this was my LAST option and they took me. The location is great, the staff is great...the problem is in how the prepare you for the boards. The lecture material is very rarely clinically based and that is my only problem with the program. What are the effects of no clinical information...it results in LOW board scores. Keep in mind that its good to be optimistic but I do know MANY classmates that got into a "better" school and they declined to come here. Like I said, I love my decision and the only advice I can give is me patient...the communication scheme sucks down here.

Don't know what year you are, but 2nd year is full of clinical stuff. So much so that almost half the lectures in a block are clinical lectures.

I haven't really been able to get an answer on this. If you're married/ have a family will the administration work with you to get a rural rotation that is closer to the Ft lauderdale area? Or allow you to work in an undeserved location instead in the Ft Lauderdale area?

Don't know what year you are, but 2nd year is full of clinical stuff. So much so that almost half the lectures in a block are clinical lectures.

ive done the 1st year of ms1 at drexel for post-bac, honestly the clinical stuff in most of the courses is just limited to very basic things (explaining chf/cvd briefly in physio, connecting a lack of an enzyme to a disease, explaining diabetes.....). this is probably all stuff that's more important in 2nd year, so i'm not too worried.

First year is straight hard sciences. Second year is very clinically based.

Last edited:
I don't think the problem with the curriculum is that it's not clinically based enough. In fact, I would argue the first year courses are even more so than it was during my M1 year; I did NOT learn about nephrotic syndrome in my first year; the classes after me did.

The main issue is the lack of instruction in the pathophysiology/mechanisms of disease. Once you start studying for the boards (usmle in particular), this deficiency in your instruction will stick out like a sore thumb. Biochem and embryology was kinda weak too, but the curriculum has undergone many changes, and the comlex is not exactly a biochem heavy test, and even the usmle is not that big on embryo.

Heroes - your family issues with regards to rurals is workable. I've known many cases like that, and people got not only their rurals, but their core tracks switched for family reasons. However, this might involve a lot of nagging on your part, so get ready to nag.

Having spoken with several M1's and M2's at Nova, I would tend to agree with Bravo.
Some portions of the curriculum were in need of an overhaul and they in fact HAVE changed things around to accommodate the need for preparing students for Step 1 boards. Also, they have recently reworked the exam schedules. Previously, students were frequently blowing off one class to study for another the following week. This last point was emphasized by the dean when I interviewed in February; It avails little to have students cram for Anatomy one week and forget it the next in order to focus on physio.

Last edited:
I don't think the problem with the curriculum is that it's not clinically based enough. In fact, I would argue the first year courses are even more so than it was during my M1 year; I did NOT learn about nephrotic syndrome in my first year; the classes after me did.

The main issue is the lack of instruction in the pathophysiology/mechanisms of disease. Once you start studying for the boards (usmle in particular), this deficiency in your instruction will stick out like a sore thumb. Biochem and embryology was kinda weak too, but the curriculum has undergone many changes, and the comlex is not exactly a biochem heavy test, and even the usmle is not that big on embryo.

Heroes - your family issues with regards to rurals is workable. I've known many cases like that, and people got not only their rurals, but their core tracks switched for family reasons. However, this might involve a lot of nagging on your part, so get ready to nag.

Thanks for the response! I was worried about this. Its good to know the admistration is considerate about this. I have no problem with nagging :)

I agree with bravotwozero that the school should focus more on pathophys/mechanism of diseases. I think 2nd year courses have way too much clinical stuff pertaining to step ii and iii. As a student you get bogged down in diagnoses and treatment as opposed to thoroughly understanding the mechanisms. However, you can read goljan concurrently with the systems you are on for pathophys, that's what I have been doing. Hopefully it pays off.

Yes, goljan (audio lecture + rr book) and UWorld will be immensely helpful in that regard.

Anyone interviewed on early march/late Feb hear back from them yet?

Hello there... i interviewed March 3rd and just got word this morning... happy to be accepted and going for sure... see you guys all there in a few months

I interviewed early February and still have not heard. Is it safe to assume that I'm rejected or wait-listed?

I would think in two months they would have at least reviewed me once, especially if somebody who interviewed a month after me already has an acceptance. But I don't feel like I was rejected because the interview really went well and in over 2 months they haven't said no. I feel like they want to accept me but are just waiting to see how many spots they are going to have.... is this just my wishful thinking?

Does anyone know the first day of class? There are conflicting reports online that it may be either 08/01/11 or 08/08/11.

This several years away for most of you, but coming from a soon to be NSU grad, worth considering:

As someone who went through the nightmare of having to scramble, I just wanted to give you all a heads up: If you end up having to scramble as a Nova student, NSU COM will do NOTHING to help you.

When I asked for help, I was told the OBVIOUS, that a) I need to scramble, and b) If I would like the website link to open positions.

I called the dean's office, they bluntly told me that "we can't help you".

The clinical education department here also told me that "we don't have the resources to help you" if you need to scramble. I find this hard to believe, considering the amount of money we pay in tuition each year.

Other medical schools have advisers, who help you set up a plan for the scramble, who will call up programs for you, who will set up multiple phone lines, computers and fax machine for you, when you need to contact programs and send them your application quickly. New York Medical College and KCUMB in Kansas City are two such examples. However, you don't have to take my word for this, just contact any medical school and see what kind of process they have in place for scrambling students. NSU COM does none of this; they have shown a complete lack of regard for the well being of their students.

I would not wish for anyone to have to go through the scramble; it is frustrating and horrific. I hope you guys all succeed in getting the residency of your dreams. But, it is inevitable that some people in every class may end up in the same predicament as I was. Who will look out for you then? I strongly advise you to address this issue through your class reps and the SGA, so that you have a process set in place, in case you do end up facing what I faced.

Other concerns: FAU's med students will now be rotating at two of NSU-COM's rotation sites, namely Broward General and Mount Sinai. FAU is going to pay the hospital, and the preceptors to teach their medical students; there is also talk of establishing allopathic residency programs at Broward. NSU has absolutely no intentions of paying anyone. They may just end up losing these rotation sites to FAU if they just keep doing what they do. Where our tuition money from our M3 and M4 years is anyone's guess right now; they have already lost Jackson North, and almost lost Northwestern as their rotation sites.

There is of course also the issue of 'rural rotations', where you don't have a say in when you can schedule them. They could be scheduled smack in the middle of audition rotation season, when you're trying to rotate at programs you wish to match at.

You will also be forced to learn spanish and perform 80 hours of community service, on top of trying to survive the medical school curriculum.

Just food for thought...

wait what??? did nsu really lose jackson?? does it seem like they are in line to lose broward and mt sinai to fau? this is really scarry. the jackson system seemed to me to be the biggest system they had (i'm from ny so i'm sure i dont really know)... is this true? can any current students elaborate on the rotation site situation? cuz i think its still listed on their website...

Hello there... i interviewed March 3rd and just got word this morning... happy to be accepted and going for sure... see you guys all there in a few months

hey GDCxStylez, were you invited to the "med school experience" or did you have an actual interview? Do you mind listing your stats?

Congraz on getting in :) I'm happy for you

I interviewed early February and still have not heard. Is it safe to assume that I'm rejected or wait-listed?

I would think in two months they would have at least reviewed me once, especially if somebody who interviewed a month after me already has an acceptance. But I don't feel like I was rejected because the interview really went well and in over 2 months they haven't said no. I feel like they want to accept me but are just waiting to see how many spots they are going to have.... is this just my wishful thinking?

This is just conjecture not anything official from Admissions but I think that they're really just kind of taking things on a case by case basis at this point. I interviewed in early February and Ellen had said at the time that the class was nearly full and that they were taking the "best of the best" from interviews.

I really do believe that it is a case by case basis because within myself and two other people in my interview group, we've had 3 different scenarios. I was lucky and I got accepted in mid-March, another person was unfortunate and got rejected, and another person is still in limbo. I think they're clearly just nearly full and only want to take what they consider to be definite ins at this point and now that I think they're done with interviews fill up the class based on who withdraws from this point. Also, the Dean makes the final call; he's the one that signs off on everything at the end so that plays a role in how long decisions might take.

Anyways good luck!

wait what??? did nsu really lose jackson?? does it seem like they are in line to lose broward and mt sinai to fau? this is really scarry. the jackson system seemed to me to be the biggest system they had (i'm from ny so i'm sure i dont really know)... is this true? can any current students elaborate on the rotation site situation? cuz i think its still listed on their website...

Jackson NORTH, as i mentioned. This is a satellite site; I was told directly by the director of clinical ed that they lost it; there are other sites in the Jackson health system, i don't know if the other hospitals have a nsu affiliation. FIU (not fau) is sending its students to sinai and broward. I did not say they're losing it. But, given the trend in the northeast, where carribean schools give a boatload of money to hospitals, and many of the other schools reluctant to pay anything, the hospitals are then reluctant to take students from non paying schools. This can easily happen here.

Waitlisted this morning. Good luck to all who are still waiting to learn their status!

Waitlisted this morning. Good luck to all who are still waiting to learn their status!

I have a question....when you say you were waitlisted, do you mean you were given an ALTERNATE status?? I recently called Ellen Rondino and she told me that in order to be accepted alternates have to enter the waitlist first, and that in this list you are just waiting for a seat to open. She said that people on the waitlist were actually in a better position than people on the alternate list. Can someone explain me this please....

alternate status as well, interviewed in the same group as 21p on feb 15th

not sure on the difference between alternate and waitlist, but i figured i'd wait to call and check until monday, my guess is they're getting a lot of calls today if they released a bunch of statuses

though if anyone can clarify, please feel free to do so

edit - found this in an older thread, so there's that

From what i have understood, this is the same as a waiting list however it is not numbered. Once a week (or twice a month) the faculty meet discussing potential candidates.

During this roundtable, they discuss students on the 'alternate candidate' list each week, familiarizing themselves with your applications. Its not a numbered waiting list, therefore if you did your whole app the day before it was due, and I did mine back in november (assuming we both made alternate list) both our applicatoins stand in the same position. If a spot opens they will discuss all applicants on the alternate list and decide whom to invite.

Thats what i understood during the process, wasn't on the alternate list, however i'm pretty sure this is what i heard with my relentless questioning. If im totally out in left field, my apologies, but this was my understanding.

Max

NSUCOM, M1 Class of 2009

edit 2 - thanks google

http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/acceptance.html
Alternate

Due to the large volume of applicants and the available spots in the class, the COA may place prospective students on the alternate list. The COA does not rank order prospective students on the alternate list. Applicants will be contacted by the D.O. Program Admissions Office periodically to provide updates on the status. The applicant will be informed immediately upon change of admission status.

Last edited:
alternate status as well, interviewed in the same group as 21p on feb 15th

not sure on the difference between alternate and waitlist, but i figured i'd wait to call and check until monday, my guess is they're getting a lot of calls today if they released a bunch of statuses

though if anyone can clarify, please feel free to do so

edit - found this in an older thread, so there's that

edit 2 - thanks google

http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/acceptance.html

Thanks Globally! If anyone knows more about how this works please share it with us.

Alternate status this morning... pretty bummed nova is definitely where I want to be next year. Anyone able to find out information on when alternates should start having a status change or am I possibly waiting up till classes start?

No, I was placed on the 'alternate' list then... My guess is she got tired of all of us calling her and said to her secretary "Put ALL of them on the alternate list so they'll stop blowing up my phone!" hahaha..

not really.

Everyone who was taken off the 'alternate' list last year didn't really mention a separate list, but who knows? I would take her word as golden.

I was accepted at lecom today and am accepting it. I really liked NSU but it is just too expensive compared with other options. Calling and canceling my seat at nova! Good luck waitlisters! I hope you all get in!!!

I interviewed on Feb. 15th with the rest of this group, but I have yet to hear back regarding a decision.. can't say I consider this a good thing since most of the seats are full and the majority are receiving Alternate positions. I guess it's better than Denied.

Speaking of Alternates... Nova uses a different nomenclature and their Alternate List is essentially the Wait List for their program... I think the only difference is that traditionally a Wait List has a Queue system whereas the Alternate List lacks a numerical ranking and instead is used to consider individuals on their merit at the time of the committee's meeting to discuss them.

Last edited: