Northwestern Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wrigleyville said:
Welcome aboard everyone. If anyone has any specific questions I can answer, I'd be glad to give them a shot.

Generally speaking, you will not need or want to have a car. Most people (1st/2nd years at least) live close to school in streeterville. Those who choose to live in Lincoln Park (the general area of the city where 20-somethings tend to live) use the "el".

Hey Wrigleyville!
Thanks for the offer to answer questions....I am going to take it up on it :)

What apartment complexes around Streeterville are popular with students? Do most students live with roommates or alone?

Do you have any complaints about Northwestern or anything you would change?

Thanks and welcome to the thread!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

any of you guys get this email about how current NU students are going to call us at some point? did you get the call yet?

Colonel Mustard said:
any of you guys get this email about how current NU students are going to call us at some point? did you get the call yet?

I also received that message. No call yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get an email....what did it say?? When did you get it? Today?

hpm4 said:
I didn't get an email....what did it say?? When did you get it? Today?

It was in an e-mail from Pamela Meadows sent last week. (Feb. 16) They are probably waiting until all the signed paper acceptances are returned before making the calls. Just a hunch.

NoSoupforYou13 said:
It was in an e-mail from Pamela Meadows sent last week. (Feb. 16) They are probably waiting until all the signed paper acceptances are returned before making the calls. Just a hunch.

Thanks NoSoup :)

I never got an email but I just received and sent back my acceptance form on Monday....NC mail is slow :)

hpm4 said:
Hey Wrigleyville!
Thanks for the offer to answer questions....I am going to take it up on it :)

What apartment complexes around Streeterville are popular with students? Do most students live with roommates or alone?

Do you have any complaints about Northwestern or anything you would change?

Thanks and welcome to the thread!!!!

Popular buildings that students live in:

--McClurg Court is always popular. There are two buildings, I think they are 480 N. Mcclurg and 333 E. Ontario
-- Also 420 E. ohio, 445 E. ohio (Lakeshore plaza)
--850 N. State (chestnut place)
--441 E. Erie (Onterie)

I'd say most people have roommates, generally other classmates. People who move to Chicago that know non-med school people seem to move to the areas of town where younger people right out of college with jobs tend to live, such as Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and of course, Wrigleyville. Taking the el to school is not a problem.

I have no complaints about NU that I can think of. We're a pretty happy bunch.

Wrigleyville said:
Popular buildings that students live in:

--McClurg Court is always popular. There are two buildings, I think they are 480 N. Mcclurg and 333 E. Ontario
-- Also 420 E. ohio, 445 E. ohio (Lakeshore plaza)
--850 N. State (chestnut place)
--441 E. Erie (Onterie)

I'd say most people have roommates, generally other classmates. People who move to Chicago that know non-med school people seem to move to the areas of town where younger people right out of college with jobs tend to live, such as Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and of course, Wrigleyville. Taking the el to school is not a problem.

I have no complaints about NU that I can think of. We're a pretty happy bunch.

Thanks so much!!!!!

tigerlillygirl said:
I love Northwestern!!! :love:
I can't wait to be back in Chi-town!
See you all at second look weekend.

GO CATS! :p

Did anyone else receive phone calls from current NW students?

NoSoupforYou13 said:

Nope. But this is also the third school that has emailed me telling me that they would have alumni/students call me and I have yet to receive a call.

so jealous of everyone in this thread! it's a long shot but hopefully i will see you all next year if i can somehow make my way off the waitlist. now back to writing my LOI....!

pnasty said:
so jealous of everyone in this thread! it's a long shot but hopefully i will see you all next year if i can somehow make my way off the waitlist. now back to writing my LOI....!

I hope you get off the waitlist too!!!! Is Northwestern your first choice (i.e. LOI=letter of intent)?

for housing, you should all consider
Chicago Aprtment Finders
or The Apartment People.
These ar apartment finder services, they will take you around and show you places. they find great spots for good prices, and the service is free since your first month's rent goes to them instead of the landlord. i highly recommend this over NU's 'recommended' buildings which often cost up to several hundred dollars more per month than neighboring option.

Members don't see this ad :)
staticfritz said:
for housing, you should all consider
Chicago Aprtment Finders
or The Apartment People.
These ar apartment finder services, they will take you around and show you places. they find great spots for good prices, and the service is free since your first month's rent goes to them instead of the landlord. i highly recommend this over NU's 'recommended' buildings which often cost up to several hundred dollars more per month than neighboring option.

That is GREAT advice!!! Thanks so much :)

How do you like your first year??

NoSoupforYou13 said:

I got a call last night from a current M2. It was nice to have a few lingering questions answered by a current student. He couldn't say enough great things about NU.

hpm4 said:
I hope you get off the waitlist too!!!! Is Northwestern your first choice (i.e. LOI=letter of intent)?

yup, first choice!

pnasty said:
yup, first choice!

Good luck!!!! I really really hope you get in :)

Hey, I've been visiting this site for forever and I finally signed up tonight. I was accepted to Northwestern and I can't wait for second look weekend!!

UW-Madison Class of 2006
Northwestern Class of 2010??

I only recently realized there are forms to be filled out for instituitional aid. There are about three? Anyway, when do those have to be submitted by?

princessd3 said:
I only recently realized there are forms to be filled out for instituitional aid. There are about three? Anyway, when do those have to be submitted by?

Next Wednesday, March 15 if you want to be considered for institutional aid. I would do the FAFSA as soon as possible as it will take a few days to process.

kyatter said:
Next Wednesday, March 15 if you want to be considered for institutional aid. I would do the FAFSA as soon as possible as it will take a few days to process.

"institutional aid" refers to need-based aid, right?

does NW give out any merit-based money?

Did you guys get the email about Second Look? They're only taking the first 150 who register. So register now or else you won't get to go to the Second Look.

Josh1105 said:
"institutional aid" refers to need-based aid, right?

does NW give out any merit-based money?

I'm not sure, but from what I read in the financial aid book that we got at our interviews, it does sound like they have some merit based scholarship money that they give out.

Is anyone planning on staying the Saturday night (april 8th) after 2nd look weekend? Or is everyone planning on going back home immediately after? Just curious to see what u guys are doing...

Punisher said:
Is anyone planning on staying the Saturday night (april 8th) after 2nd look weekend? Or is everyone planning on going back home immediately after? Just curious to see what u guys are doing...

I'm staying until Sunday around 5:00 PM. No point in coming home early. It will be like a little, mini vacation for me.

Punisher said:

Hey Punisher, and everyone,

I'm pretty sure I will be staying thru Sunday (I live in the suburbs outside the city, and I go to school a couple hours south of the city) so let me know if you are planning on staying as well. If the weather is nice I am planning on going downtown, maybe checking out some apartments, basically anything. I only wish it were summer and the Cubs were playing :)

-Rachel

Colonel Mustard said:

Hey there,

I received a call last night from an M1. She was really nice. Convo was basically about NW and lectures, activities, testing (only 6 blocks of testing each year which is awesome), living in Chicago, and just the general feel of the students at NW. I am, if this is possible, even more excited about Second Look! See you all there.

-Rachel

FrankGK said:
Hey there,

I received a call last night from an M1. She was really nice. Convo was basically about NW and lectures, activities, testing (only 6 blocks of testing each year which is awesome), living in Chicago, and just the general feel of the students at NW. I am, if this is possible, even more excited about Second Look! See you all there.

-Rachel

Aww man, I didnt get my call yet. Geez...and i have alot of questions. I registered for second look a couple of days ago and already have my itinerary all set thanks to tower travel. i will see everyone there...if you can figure who I am !

-PRETTY

prettymd05 said:
Aww man, I didnt get my call yet. Geez...and i have alot of questions. I registered for second look a couple of days ago and already have my itinerary all set thanks to tower travel. i will see everyone there...if you can figure who I am !

-PRETTY

was there a link or something to follow to set up the flight plans? or were we just supposed to call them up? i registered for the second look, but it didnt say anything about how to go about getting the travel arrangements made.

which hotel are you guys staying at on saturday night? anyone know of a good, semi-cheap hotel that is close to NW?

Colonel Mustard said:
was there a link or something to follow to set up the flight plans? or were we just supposed to call them up? i registered for the second look, but it didnt say anything about how to go about getting the travel arrangements made.

Yeah actually I have been getting emails from Pamela Meadows. If you want to call the travel agency, the info is:

Tower Travel Management

Toll free: 866/NU2-TRVL (866/682-8785)

(Hours: 6:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m., Monday Friday, 9:00 am -1:00 pm, Saturday, Central Time

Hope this helps!

-pretty

Punisher said:

I'll stay if other people are going to stay. I don't have anything better to do I guess. Is everyone getting hotel rooms or are they going to ask the student they're staying with if they can stay one more night? I'm guessing the students probably wouldn't have a problem with that.

kyatter said:
I'll stay if other people are going to stay. I don't have anything better to do I guess. Is everyone getting hotel rooms or are they going to ask the student they're staying with if they can stay one more night? I'm guessing the students probably wouldn't have a problem with that.
Hmmm... I think they may not be too happy if you ask them for another night. They already let us stay for 2 nights but 3 might be kinda excessive. I'm thinking a hotel for saturday night.

Punisher said:
Hmmm... I think they may not be too happy if you ask them for another night. They already let us stay for 2 nights but 3 might be kinda excessive. I'm thinking a hotel for saturday night.

Yeah, I suppose so. Well, if I do anything, I'm winging it anyways. That's how I roll.

So I was one of the first people to register for Second Look. Today I was trying to book my flight and I was told I was not on the list. I called Pamela and she is investigating. I can't believe this.

I can't remember the details, but does anyone know if Northwestern has a gym for its medical students to go work out in? Does it cost anything in addition to tuition there? I kind of remember something at the interview, but I'm not exactly sure. Thanks.

princessd3 said:
So I was one of the first people to register for Second Look. Today I was trying to book my flight and I was told I was not on the list. I called Pamela and she is investigating. I can't believe this.

I am having a similar problem. I talked to Pamela today and she said that they were overwhelmed with interest in second look this year and that they were filled within 12 hours of the online registration opening. I also tried to register last week but had problems with it and called and left a message for Pamela. She never called back and when I finally got hold of her today she told me that it was full. She said she'll email all the people still trying to go to 2nd look sometime this week.

I'm so disappointed because I really wanted to go and they never warned us that the spaces were so limited!

MNsocsci said:
I'm so disappointed because I really wanted to go and they never warned us that the spaces were so limited!

Even though I was lucky enough to get a spot, I completely agree with you... they didn't inform us about the 150 person limit until the day we were supposed to sign up. They should have told us way in advance. And it's too bad that only 150 people can come... I bet most of the accepted applicants want to check out the school again. Maybe if you ask pamela really nicely...

kyatter said:
I can't remember the details, but does anyone know if Northwestern has a gym for its medical students to go work out in? Does it cost anything in addition to tuition there? I kind of remember something at the interview, but I'm not exactly sure. Thanks.

I was wondering the same question... I came across this webpage:

http://www.northwestern.edu/lakeshore-athletics/membership.html

Looks like it costs $100 / year, which is not bad at all. And it looks like it's just up the street from the med school. I don't know if there are any other places to work out... anyone else know?

Punisher said:
I was wondering the same question... I came across this webpage:

http://www.northwestern.edu/lakeshore-athletics/membership.html

Looks like it costs $100 / year, which is not bad at all. And it looks like it's just up the street from the med school. I don't know if there are any other places to work out... anyone else know?

100/year is awesome! And spouses are 100/year too! If their gym is anything like their hospital, it's going to be beautiful. This is very attractive.

thegenius said:
100/year is awesome! And spouses are 100/year too! If their gym is anything like their hospital, it's going to be beautiful. This is very attractive.

Its official...if my b/f doesnt get into NW Law, I will be soooooooooo sad.

prettymd05 said:
Its official...if my b/f doesnt get into NW Law, I will be soooooooooo sad.

Awesome, see you next year! Good luck to your boyfriend.

hi all,
like you i am SUPER excited about 2nd look weekend! lookin forward to meeting you guys there :)
So as for 2nd look wknd, they pay for your plane ticket and house you with a fellow student-all this is for free. but, If you choose to stay in a hotel then you have to foot the bill for the hotel

and i am stayin through april 9th (so apr 6th- apr 9th)

sweetmelody said:
hi all,
like you i am SUPER excited about 2nd look weekend! lookin forward to meeting you guys there :)
So as for 2nd look wknd, they pay for your plane ticket and house you with a fellow student-all this is for free. but, If you choose to stay in a hotel then you have to foot the bill for the hotel

hey guys, i'm excited about seeing you all at 2nd look weekend as well!

Just wondering if any of you are in the same boat as me, and trying to decide btw pitt, Nu, and mt sinai? Even if not, do you guys have any thoughts?

thanks!

Hi everyone.
not sure if I am going to end up at Northwestern or not next year (still deciding btw NU, UofC, Mich, Columbia, Penn) but thought I would fill you in on the gym situation since I live a block away and work at the hospital. The NU gym on the downtown campus is not that great. they recently moved it so maybe it is better now. there is a really nice gym (lake shore athletic club) a block from the school and a few other gyms in the area. i know a lot of people at the law school and medical school don't use the NU gym and instead just sign up elsewhere.

so... anyone know of the hotels close to campus? or are you asking the med students for another night?

Punisher said:
so... anyone know of the hotels close to campus? or are you asking the med students for another night?

I had to call about 10 hotels to make a reservation for that weekend - it wasn't easy. There is some sort of event going on in Chicago, and I highly suggest you call ASAP to make a reservation.

pallcare said:
hey guys, i'm excited about seeing you all at 2nd look weekend as well!

Just wondering if any of you are in the same boat as me, and trying to decide btw pitt, Nu, and mt sinai? Even if not, do you guys have any thoughts?

thanks!
I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and Mt. Sinai (both for MSTP..and still possibly considering Einstein). I think there's going to be more opportunity for clinical experience with underserved populations at Sinai, and more possiblity of me actually seeing interesting ID cases (like parasitic infections) in New York, given the difference in immigrant populations between NYC and Chicago... but I wonder if I should worry about this now or when looking at residencies. Plus, I know I :love: New York. Chicago seems really cool, but it's more of an unknown. And I'll have to live there for 8 years. :eek:

And then I have all these stupid research concerns, which I won't bore you with. I'm so confused...

I think the curriculum at Northwestern is probably better though... very little time spent in class. :thumbup: What are your thoughts?