non-diabetic podiatry outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Given the urgency of diabetic foot treatment, I was wondering if podiatrists who specialize in non-diabetic care (i.e. sports medicine, orthotics, etc.) tend to do just as well? Will specialization limit your productivity? I recently shadowed two podiatrists, and they say they do everything just because they'd be out of business with a specialized scope. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Given the urgency of diabetic foot treatment, I was wondering if podiatrists who specialize in non-diabetic care (i.e. sports medicine, orthotics, etc.) tend to do just as well? Will specialization limit your productivity? I recently shadowed two podiatrists, and they say they do everything just because they'd be out of business with a specialized scope. Thanks!

Our practice treats the full spectrum of pathology since that's simply our business model. We rely on a lot of referrals from PCPs and current/former patients. We don't want them to have to sift through what we treat and don't treat. They refer us everything and we do everything. It works very well for us.

We have a relatively large practice with several offices and enough doctors to put a sports team on a field. As a result, some of us have sub-specialties. Although all of the docs in our practice are ABPS certified, not all are currently performing surgery. Some do a lot of palliative care, some do more wound care, some have a preference for pediatrics, some have a preference for sports medicine, etc.

One of our newest docs and I see the least amount of palliative care, and the most new patients and surgical patients. We receive surgical referrals from our other partners.

There are definitely practices that only treat certain ailments. I believe that ONCE you've found your niche and it works for you, it's ok. However, until you're established I would recommend not turning away anything, unless you're simply not comfortable with a certain area.

That doesn't mean you can't FOCUS on a specific specialty, but I would recommend not specializing yourself out of business. One of the reasons our practice is doing well is because we treat all, even though some of us have a preference or expertise.

If you're good at a specific area, the word will get out amd eventually your practice may track toward that area. First prove yourself to the area docs and patients. But don't be surprised if once your reputation is established, you begin receiving referrals for everything foot and ankle. If you only want to treat a specific area, bring in another doc who practices a fuller spectrum. Let your practice be one stop shopping.

I do little palliative care, though I'd be happy to do more. A woman came in for "nail care". She liked me and our office. As a result she referred me her two daughters, both of whom are now scheduled for surgery. THAT'S why we do everything.