NHSC Scholarship Horrors??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenuine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I was totally and completely set on applying for a NHSC scholarship for the coming years....and then I talked to a physician who did the program and he STRONGLY recommended that I avoid it. Apparently the contract you have to sign sucks the big one...and furthermore, the program is unneeded...he said. I was also told that when you're looking for a placement, and you pick a few places you'd be willing to go, they purposely move you to where you DIDN'T pick....something about that's how the program survives or something. "The money isn't worth your freedom," he adamantly proposed.

So I'm out, then, (and at least now I don't have to do that nasty application!! ;-) ). I guess I'll be joining the ranks of the indebted...but I suppose it's better than what I'm hearing the NHSC program offers.

I just thought I'd give the "opposing" opinion to those of you out there who are seriously considering the scholarship!!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, this is an interesting perspective Jenuine. I guess that getting money from the gubment (whether military, commissioned corp, or otherwise) comes with many sacrifices (esp. since your comittment terms do not begin until you've finished your residency). Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) come in many shapes and sizes, but I'm thinking that their placements may be in places that are mostly rural versus urban. Depending on where you want to live and the community you want to serve, it looks like it might not be worth it.