NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
To me, electronic signature is totally different from a handwritten signature. Why risk it?

I think the sentence you're referring to is solely talking about the Secretary's signature on the scholarship offer for us because he/she is not hand-signing all the offers.
one more quick question! sorry to keep bothering you. i noticed on the guide that the only ones that require a HANDWRITTEN signature are the authorization to release and the 2 rec letters. is it okay then to have ELECTRONIC signatures for the acceptance report and the disadvantaged status form?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question! Does anyone know of an extension on this scholarship since the lockdown has been extended? I have been desperately trying to get an academic LOR from my professors and they all say they are locked out of their offices since no one can go on campus. Therefore, they can't acquire the paper with a school letterhead on it which is required.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question! Does anyone know of an extension on this scholarship since the lockdown has been extended? I have been desperately trying to get an academic LOR from my professors and they all say they are locked out of their offices since no one can go on campus. Therefore, they can't acquire the paper with a school letterhead on it which is required.
to add onto this, I just emailed my med school's admissions and they can't provide a handwritten signature. all of them are just typing in their name on a pdf file. I'll be attaching a letter along with this to note that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, I have a few questions! If someone can answer them that would be great!
-If you choose internal medicine, etc., can you do a fellowship before doing the service requirement?
- yes you can

Actually, this is incorrect.

For physicians, SOME fellowships are approved. However, most internal medicine fellowships (i.e. infectious diseases, cardiology, GI, nephrology) are NOT approved. You must complete your service obligation PRIOR to doing your fellowship.

The only fellowships approved for IM would be geriatrics or addiction medicine. If you're planning on specializing, then I do not recommend applying for this scholarship.

Anyone else kinda terrified of potentially having to work in a prison? Since most of the NHSC approved sites are in prisons across the country

Most of the NHSC sites, in real life, are not in prisons, no worries. :-D

For physicians, SOME fellowships are approved. However, most internal medicine fellowships (i.e. infectious diseases, cardiology, GI, nephrology) are NOT approved. You must complete your service obligation PRIOR to doing your fellowship.

The only fellowships approved for IM would be geriatrics or addiction medicine. If you're planning on specializing, then I do not recommend applying for this scholarship.

Not incorrect. It is possible, you just have to make sure you research what is allowed and what is not. It was a broad question so I gave a broad answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Not incorrect. It is possible, you just have to make sure you research what is allowed and what is not. It was a broad question so I gave a broad answer.

That's fair, but when most physicians talk about "fellowships," they're talking about specialties like cardiology or endocrinology. So it's important to make the distinction. I should have said that your answer was sensitive, not specific. ;)

Hi! quick question! for the forms for the app, is it okay to have electronic signatures in place of handwritten signatures? None of my professors have access to a scanner right now to provide handwritten signatures due to the COVID situation. they all can't get into the school to scan.

Hi! quick question! for the forms for the app, is it okay to have electronic signatures in place of handwritten signatures? None of my professors have access to a scanner right now to provide handwritten signatures due to the COVID situation. they all can't get into the school to scan.

I have called and emailed the NHSC customer service and all I got was a cold response to follow the guidance issued in the booklet and that there are no alternatives.

I am desperately trying to find a way for my teacher to get to a letterhead for my LOR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I have called and emailed the NHSC customer service and all I got was a cold response to follow the guidance issued in the booklet and that there are no alternatives.

I am desperately trying to find a way for my teacher to get to a letterhead for my LOR.

so I looked at the guide then the application. take a look but on the actual application in the portal under LOR, it says they need a letterhead OR handwritten signature. and in the past posts, people said they were told to follow the portal rules.

so I looked at the guide then the application. take a look but on the actual application in the portal under LOR, it says they need a letterhead OR handwritten signature. and in the past posts, people said they were told to follow the portal rules.
I also called today and was told that, given the circumstances, a handwritten or electronic signature would be acceptable. This echoed the guidance provided during the webinar last week. I can't speak on the letterhead because I did not ask specifically about that. There is a Q&A session on April 7th that would be a good time to ask some of the more nuanced questions.

I also called today and was told that, given the circumstances, a handwritten or electronic signature would be acceptable. This echoed the guidance provided during the webinar last week. I can't speak on the letterhead because I did not ask specifically about that. There is a Q&A session on April 7th that would be a good time to ask some of the more nuanced questions.
oh awesome, thank you!

I’ve not done work in underserved areas so I’m having a difficult time writing my essays. Is anyone here good at writing their essays? I’m a disadvantaged student and am struggling to make a good essay. Can anyone help?
Also how’re you supposed to answer the second question about having an innovative solution?

I’ve not done work in underserved areas so I’m having a difficult time writing my essays. Is anyone here good at writing their essays? I’m a disadvantaged student and am struggling to make a good essay. Can anyone help?
Also how’re you supposed to answer the second question about having an innovative solution?
hm, I'm not sure about the first question but the second question - think of any programs that you may have developed where you had limited resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guy, need some advice!

I'm a D1 and want to apply to this!! I have really good letters of recommendations from my undergrad (2018). Due to the circumstances with coronavirus and my school being shut down I am not able to get letters from my professors. Do you think i should go ahead and apply with my undergrad letters?

I thought the questions were challenging this year too. It took a lot of pondering to place an experience which fit their criteria. Bottom line - you know you have some experience being helpful, creating solutions... everybody does... just think hard about it - tell it with an emphasis on the parts of it which are relevant to the question. Go back in time. Remember how it felt to serve somebody in need

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you for that. I also noticed that too, but, I guess I’m being extra cautious and don’t want to chance it.

Thank you for that. I also noticed that too, but, I guess I’m being extra cautious and don’t want to chance it.

No problem! yeah there's a lot of discrepancies between the portal and the guide.

It was extended to May 15

Reactions: 2 users
It was extended to May 15
Hey where did you get this info from? I haven't received any emails and do not see any updates on the website/application. Thanks!

Hey where did you get this info from? I haven't received any emails and do not see any updates on the website/application. Thanks!
They posted it on Facebook. It also shows on the website:

3804B464-772A-48E9-A509-A0B2368370A1.jpeg

Hey guys I called the nhsc number to ask if I was eligible to apply. I am currently paying off a student loan and have a hospital bill in collections right now. According to the nhsc rep, I am still eligible to apply. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to waste time working on an application I'm not eligible for. Thanks

Hey guys I called the nhsc number to ask if I was eligible to apply. I am currently paying off a student loan and have a hospital bill in collections right now. According to the nhsc rep, I am still eligible to apply. Can anyone else confirm this? I don't want to waste time working on an application I'm not eligible for. Thanks
jlopez1010, if you log in to the portal there is an "Eligibility" section where it asks you some yes or no questions about your experience with debt. There are "info" buttons next to each question which tell you why they are asking, and what could potentially disqualify you. If you start the application process, you'll see

Not to beat a dead horse here, but is everyone following the essay prompts from the portal, NOT the application guide?

I was on the Q&A session today, and the representative saaid to use our undergrad GPA instead of our post-bacc or graduate program's GPA. Has anyone had any success getting the scholarship under a 3.0 GPA? I'm a little worried :(

• Wow
I was on the Q&A session today, and the representative saaid to use our undergrad GPA instead of our post-bacc or graduate program's GPA. Has anyone had any success getting the scholarship under a 3.0 GPA? I'm a little worried :(

But that goes against the instructions on the portal (assuming you’ve already finished another degree after your undergrad)... ugh, why is everything so unclear?

I had an under 3.0 GPA and got the scholarship. I don't think you need to worry too much. Focus on perfecting the other components :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does that mean our academic LOR also has to come from one of our undergrad professors?! I've already asked my graduate program advisor to write me a letter o_O

Does that mean our academic LOR also has to come from one of our undergrad professors?! I've already asked my graduate program advisor to write me a letter o_O
i think i remember seeing that it can come from your most recent academic institution

If I accept my loans offered from my school now does NHSC repay them if I get the scholarship or how does that work?

If I accept my loans offered from my school now does NHSC repay them if I get the scholarship or how does that work?
As far as your question goes, as soon as you receive the scholarship, the NHSC pays your school back for the tuition and fees. Your school then refunds the loans for those items. Your stipend will be backpaid to July. Anything approved outside of tuition/fees and your living stipend is considered ORC (other reasons costs) and will be paid to you at the end of October. You will then be able to reimburse yourself with that money or pay back the additional loans you have remaining at that point.
I already answered it. See above

Not sure if this has been answered, but is the 2500 character limit per answer or in total? Thats a little under 350 words. I misread the requirement as 2500 words and each essay is about 800 words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has been answered, but is the 2500 character limit per answer or in total? Thats a little under 350 words. I misread the requirement as 2500 words and each essay is about 800 words.

Essays should be limited to 2,500 characters or less in Times New Roman 12 font.

this is for EACH. so EACH essay should be 2500 characters. doesn't mean total should be 7500 though.

Essays should be limited to 2,500 characters or less in Times New Roman 12 font.

this is for EACH. so EACH essay should be 2500 characters. doesn't mean total should be 7500 though.

Got it. Thanks!

I found another portal to manual discrepancy.

The manual:

nhsc essay.PNG

The portal:
nhsc essay_portal.PNG

The 500 word count is easier to follow. I might just follow both. Or reach out to the NHSC people.

But that goes against the instructions on the portal (assuming you’ve already finished another degree after your undergrad)... ugh, why is everything so unclear?

...it's the government.

• Haha
So far I have ~300 words ~1700 characters but speaking concisely. Am I failing?

I get it I'm fine. This year's questions don't seem to elicit such long explanations or lists of experiences.

The NHSC just sent an email clarifying a lot of things having to do with letters of recommendation and what can be used on your app with some of the difficulties COVID-19 is causing.

@cooliyak I just saw that come through. They give some helpful updates.

For the 500 word-2,500 character discrepancy, the Helpdesk emailed me back and said that we can follow either of the limits. It seems like they basically don't want multiple-page/very long-winded answers for these questions.

For incoming students starting in 2020, how did your school fill out the "Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing" documents under academic standing (Section A, number 3)? For me, my school left that section blank and attached a letter of verification because I haven't started.

I contacted another representative regarding this matter, and they gave me an ambiguous response...

For incoming students starting in 2020, how did your school fill out the "Acceptance Report/Verification of Good Standing" documents under academic standing (Section A, number 3)? For me, my school left that section blank and attached a letter of verification because I haven't started.

I contacted another representative regarding this matter, and they gave me an ambiguous response...
That might be just fine. My dean of admissions actually checked “no” for “in good academic standing” and then wrote next to it that I hadn’t started yet, but was expected that fall. They didn’t seem to have a problem with that. I was pretty annoyed that he marked no because I thought they would take that as me not being in good academic standing. But it all turned out ok for me.

That might be just fine. My dean of admissions actually checked “no” for “in good academic standing” and then wrote next to it that I hadn’t started yet, but was expected that fall. They didn’t seem to have a problem with that. I was pretty annoyed that he marked no because I thought they would take that as me not being in good academic standing. But it all turned out ok for me.

yea same I'm starting this July and my dean just wrote no, starts in July 2020

here;s what they wrote for me

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.47.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 12.47.58 PM.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 177