NHSC Scholarship 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 121 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • already got it! :)

Votes: 18 9.3%

• Total voters
.......also waiting.....

Members don't see this ad.

So currently this cycle has had 1 credit check and 2 finalist rounds, right? So far we're following roughly the same timeline as last years except for the 2nd round credit check. (Posting this for future applicants.)

Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 15
2nd round - ???
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 6
2nd round - Aug 12
3rd round - ???

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received the finalist email last Tuesday at 5:00 PM for dental and waiting for the countersignature currently!

Reactions: 1 user
Another round of finalist notifications went out! Finalist, no email yet but it's on the portal! Also for medical students, do we have to declare a specialty?
...so maybe they haven't sent out notifications yet, but are still sorting out the second round of finalists???...…..and then will send them out later today or tomorrow....

Reactions: 3 users
...so maybe they haven't sent out notifications yet, but are still sorting out the second round of finalists???...…..and then will send them out later today or tomorrow....

That’s what I’m thinking. No one in dental and waiting has said anything about getting a finalist email today

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I’m an upcoming first year dental student and haven’t received any finalist notification. Maybe tomorrow ‍♀️?

So currently this cycle has had 1 credit check and 2 finalist rounds, right? So far we're following roughly the same timeline as last years except for the 2nd round credit check. (Posting this for future applicants.)

Credit Check: Shown on credit report from "Credco"
1st round - July 15
2nd round - ???
Finalist Notification: Recipients received an email to check portal for an update
1st round - Aug 6
2nd round - Aug 12
3rd round - ???

I'm expecting if it's just like last year we're going to either receive countersignature updates Sept. 4th-6th or Sept. 11th-13th, pending when they decide to do portal maintenance.

Reactions: 1 users
how do we know that emails went out today.. I did not get any but also don't see people saying they did. can someone confirm . (DENTAL student)

how do we know that emails went out today.. I did not get any but also don't see people saying they did. can someone confirm . (DENTAL student)
I don't think this was for dental students. The person who stated they went out wasn't dental.

My portal still says my application is "Under Review"....if you are a finalist, what did it say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental.. Still waiting... best of luck to all that are in the same position❤️

Reactions: 2 users
For those asking a finalist email went out yesterday morning after I checked the portal. Still could be another day of finalists notifications so don’t give up hope yet!

For those who have gotten the finalist email. Do you all have super high GPA? Or do some have average and others lower?

For those who have gotten the finalist email. Do you all have super high GPA? Or do some have average and others lower?
Super low GPA for me; lots of community service and work experience.

Mine says "Accepted Award:Under Final Review". Do all the finalist status say that?

Yes, mine says that also. I guess I should've specified the status should say "Finalist for Award" if you are a finalist then "Accepted Award: Under Final Review" once you sign the contract. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I think GPA's don't matter as much as the essays and community service.
I had a pretty high GPA, but also had many community service hours in a dental setting and just out in the community.

I think GPA's don't matter as much as the essays and community service.
I had a pretty high GPA, but also had many community service hours in a dental setting and just out in the community.

I agree with @coldicecream , GPA doesn't play a significant role. My GPA was very low. However, I do have many years of volunteer experience, and outreach.

For those asking a finalist email went out yesterday morning after I checked the portal. Still could be another day of finalists notifications so don’t give up hope yet!

Congratulations on becoming a finalist Neuroticdogowner! Are you a dental student?

3.7 GPA, I don’t have as many hours as others in community service probably 50 hours. But my background probably helped, and I love writing as well.

Will we be notified if we don't get the scholarship or if they decide not to move forward with our application?

Hello, congrats to all those who made it as a finalist. I was fortunate enough to receive the email during the first round. I've signed my contract and submitted my fall EVF. I just got an email from NHSC with the summer 2019 EVF since I indicated that program started already. On the summer EVF, it ask to submit unofficial transcripts and it has a spot for academic probation from one date to another. I was briefly on academic probation in the summer but is now back to good academic standing. Do you think this will wipe out my chances of getting countersigned?

Scheduled maintenance this Saturday, August 17th. I would start keeping eyes peeled for more Finalist offers or potential Countersignatures

Reactions: 4 users
If any current finalists are willing to share (and are in the Facebook group), would you be able to tell us how many dental finalists have joined the group?

I’m just trying to figure out if I should still be checking my email frequently or if most of the spots for the dental scholarships have been awarded already. I know that the Facebook group is not everybody but it would be nice to have more of a sense how many finalists have accepted the offer vs how many other finalist spots could open up.

Thanks so much in advance!

From what I have heard, there isn't a set amount of finalist for each discipline. There were 3 rounds of finalist last year so don't lose hope!

From what I have heard, there isn't a set amount of finalist for each discipline. There were 3 rounds of finalist last year so don't lose hope!
Is it 144 overall or 144 per discipline? Do you know?

Hello, congrats to all those who made it as a finalist. I was fortunate enough to receive the email during the first round. I've signed my contract and submitted my fall EVF. I just got an email from NHSC with the summer 2019 EVF since I indicated that program started already. On the summer EVF, it ask to submit unofficial transcripts and it has a spot for academic probation from one date to another. I was briefly on academic probation in the summer but is now back to good academic standing. Do you think this will wipe out my chances of getting countersigned?
If you current academic standing is good, I wouldn't put anything on the EVF. It says CURRENT STANDING.

Does any one know from the 2018-2019 forum, if any finalist did not get a counter signature. I combed through the thread (too much free time b4 school starts) and found two countersignature dates (Aug 30th) and (Sep 7th).

Was there any finalist last year that didn't get countersigned. I am freaking out as I have told some family and now they keep asking me if I have received the countersignature and I am biting my nails.

Does any one know from the 2018-2019 forum, if any finalist did not get a counter signature. I combed through the thread (too much free time b4 school starts) and found two countersignature dates (Aug 30th) and (Sep 7th).

Was there any finalist last year that didn't get countersigned. I am freaking out as I have told some family and now they keep asking me if I have received the countersignature and I am biting my nails.

Not certain if it has happened last year, but I know it has happened before.

Finalists are not guaranteed countersignatures. Being a finalist is a big thing though. That is further than most applicants get so be proud of that. You can always say that you were a "finalist".

My understanding from a post long ago is that applicants are ranked. I guess that your rank determines if you get a countersignature assuming everything else checks out.

Finalists are not guaranteed countersignatures. Being a finalist is a big thing though. That is further than most applicants get so be proud of that. You can always say that you were a "finalist".

My understanding from a post long ago is that applicants are ranked. I guess that your rank determines if you get a countersignature assuming everything else checks out.

Doesn't seem like it but possibly. I assume or like to think applicants on the 1st round finalist tend to be accepted for the first patch. I don't have an idea about 2nd round finalist or 3rd. finger crossed.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem like it but possibly. I assume or like to think applicants on the 1st round finalist tend to be accepted for the first patch. I don't have an idea about 2nd round finalist or 3rd. finger crossed.
There are some internal processes that happen at the beginning such as judging/scoring applications, credit checks etc that nobody really knows except for those who are involved with it at the NHSC. However, once it gets to the “finalist” stage, it seems to be a little bit more transparent and work a lot like rolling admissions for dental school.
The NHSC has a certain amount of “seats” that they can give out. Just as there are multiple rounds of acceptance notifications for dental school (generally, I know every school does it differently), there are multiple rounds of “finalist” emails. The first round of finalists can be compared to Dec 1 for dental school applicants. If you get a finalist email the first round, you were the NHSC’s first pick. The only way that you would not receive it (barring extenuating circumstances) is if you reject it. Congrats! You were “accepted!” Based on how many people accept vs reject it (and you’d be surprised at how many reject it), they reconfigure and go to the next round of applicants and so on until the “class” of scholars is filled. That is why the deadline for your contract, banking info, and W4 is all due within a few days and never after another round of finalist emails goes out. They need to know where you stand before they can make the next round of offers.
This is just conjecture, obviously, since I’m not in on the inner workings of the NHSC, but that is more or less what I was told my year and it seems to fit with the pattern of how things work year after year as I monitor these threads. The year I applied, I got a random phone call from the NHSC asking about my current interest in the scholarship and if I would accept it if it was offered. After saying yes, I probed a bit to see if I could get her to tell me whether or not the phone call meant I would get it. She didn’t say yes, but she more or less said what I just explained above and told me that they had a large number of finalists reject the offer that year so they were putting feelers out to those who were next in line to see if they would accept or not (which, interestingly enough, some dental schools do... hence the comparison). Not long after, I got my finalist email. Although there have been cases of people becoming finalists and then not receiving the scholarship, it isn’t very common. It is like getting an acceptance for dental school contingent on you finishing your prereqs... if you don’t finish them, they won’t ultimately accept you. The only thing with the NHSC scholarship is that nobody seems to know the conditions upon which you could ultimately be rejected after receiving your finalist notification.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
@cooliyak Do you know, if possible, that the less expensive the school we attend, the more likely you get the scholarship? Dental school is expensive, some private cost up to 600k-800 and there are limited $ available? you can get two applicants for the price of one so you can have more seats. And is there a chance during the school year where we stop getting funding because of the goverment? I read some negative speculation but not sure

@cooliyak Do you know, if possible, that the less expensive the school we attend, the more likely you get the scholarship? Dental school is expensive, some private cost up to 600k-800 and there are limited $ available? you can get two applicants for the price of one so you can have more seats. And is there a chance during the school year where we stop getting funding because of the goverment? I read some negative speculation but not sure
As far as I understand, no, the cost of the school you are attending does not matter. I had a friend who applied the same year as me. He originally was planning on attending a private school that was much more expensive. Last minute, he got accepted to his state school, so he changed course and notified the NHSC thinking that maybe this would be to his favor due to the reduced expense. Instead, they disqualified him. After discussing it more with him, he said the reps he talked to said that it didn’t matter what the expense was. This may have been just for his specific case, but this is all the insight I have into it. They may have addresses this exact question during one of the Q&A webinars, so hopefully someone reading this who knows will have a better answer.
I was in school during one of the government shutdowns and we got an email from the NHSC saying that our funding would not be affected by it. The only thing was that the response time from their reps would be delayed since they would be short staffed until the shutdown was over.

Reactions: 6 users

I received a finalist email on the 12th. D1 here.

So.. there was actullay second round on august 12 :( i thought it was just one person or something

There's still time!

Does anyone know if the first round of countersignatures will go out closer to Aug 30th or in Sept sometime given our current timeline?

As far as I understand, no, the cost of the school you are attending does not matter. I had a friend who applied the same year as me. He originally was planning on attending a private school that was much more expensive. Last minute, he got accepted to his state school, so he changed course and notified the NHSC thinking that maybe this would be to his favor due to the reduced expense. Instead, they disqualified him. After discussing it more with him, he said the reps he talked to said that it didn’t matter what the expense was. This may have been just for his specific case, but this is all the insight I have into it. They may have addresses this exact question during one of the Q&A webinars, so hopefully someone reading this who knows will have a better answer.
I was in school during one of the government shutdowns and we got an email from the NHSC saying that our funding would not be affected by it. The only thing was that the response time from their reps would be delayed since they would be short staffed until the shutdown was over.
If one were to get disqualified do they tell you right away or do you wait until the end of Sept?