New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahh so nervous. I wonder if there are no seats left.

Members don't see this ad.

Just called admissions, I didn't get any more information other than decisions for my interview date have been made and sent out. They said I should get it sometime next week.

Just called…they told me that the letters were sent two days ago but they were able to tell me my decision. Got wait listed:meh:

Got mine too (though I had to call like 7 times and beg), waitlisted too. Interviewed last week of March

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang on! You never know, the wait list may move quickly! Do you mind telling us your stats?

28 Mcat. 3.67 gpa with a hard major. Volunteered in an ambulance for 7 years. 2 years research experience with publications and a patent. 2 years working in a special needs kid program. trilingual. a bunch of leadership positions from college. Some ER shadowing.

Just called admissions, I didn't get any more information other than decisions for my interview date have been made and sent out. They said I should get it sometime next week.
If you tell them that you need to put a deposit for another school they tell you.

Reactions: 1 users
Its scary to see excellent applicants get waitlisted. Keep your chin up everyone! I will see what comes with the mail today.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got waitlisted. Was accepted at West Virginia and Nova Southeastern with 3.5 GPA and 26 mcat. Live 20 minutes away from campus and have over 1K of combined research/clinical experience. NYCOM was my second choice to Nova Southeastern though.

*TO GET A DECISION OVER THE PHONE: call Edward Dettling (assistant director of admissions) and make sure you tell him you have a deposit due at another school. (Even if you don't) He'll tell you right away. lol

Last edited:
28 Mcat. 3.67 gpa with a hard major. Volunteered in an ambulance for 7 years. 2 years research experience with publications and a patent. 2 years working in a special needs kid program. trilingual. a bunch of leadership positions from college. Some ER shadowing.

I'll be honest man your EC's scare me lol if you were waitlisted then yikes

I called it many many weeks ago
Waitlisted

Last edited:
Best of luck to all of you.

I hope the people who don't have other acceptances can get in somewhere.

Last edited:
by looking at this trend i think everyone after the march interviews are all waitlisted.

You never know though. They might be hand picking a select few from each interview session because they do not have many seats to give. It is looking more and more bleak though as time progresses, but hey, we got a few people accepted since late February. So not everyone was waitlisted. Lets see how this all pans out. Obviously if you are still waiting to hear back and have no other backups I would proceed with the new application process. You do not want it to cascade into the next cycle and cause problems. That's what I did last year with a waitlist haha, I look back and think to myself... What was I thinking waiting til the last moment on a waitlist? Too many similarities between this year and last year so I am kicking my butt to get it all started again early.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called and did as Knickstape21 suggested, had to beg for it...

I still haven't heard back. First week of April interview, is there any hope after being waitlisted here?

Which week did you interview?

Interviewed last week of February and still nothing -_-

I called earlier as well and told them I have to put a deposit down. Waitlisted, interviewed 3/31

Guys expect waitlists. They said the waitlist decisions were sent out in 1 huge batch

So people who haven't gotten acceptances yet have been pretty much wait listed?

I want to call but I don't think I should lie about having to pay a deposit if I plan to reapply there.

Does anyone know the movement on this waitlist? Percentage pulled off from last year maybe?

So people who haven't gotten acceptances yet have been pretty much wait listed?

I want to call but I don't think I should lie about having to pay a deposit if I plan to reapply there.

Haha I am in the same situation. I tried calling and seeing if I could get an answer without saying I have to pay a deposit to no avail. Actually the lady on the other side was really nice and wished me good luck. That ominous waitlist seems more likely, but I can spend some time working on the new application while I wait.

myself and two of my buddies have withdrawn in the last 72 hours, so don't give up on waitlist movement!

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be honest man your EC's scare me lol if you were waitlisted then yikes

Honestly I don't know. I don't think you can really ever know…just have to hope for the best…

Reactions: 1 user
Staying positive! still no news yet

myself and two of my buddies have withdrawn in the last 72 hours, so don't give up on waitlist movement!

Thanks for all of support and consistent updates. We really do appreciate you doing this!

Reactions: 2 users
I am in the same boat. Interviewed on April 8 and haven't heard anything yet.

Same interview date...really hoping that it wasn't an interview for the waitlist! I'll give it another week before I start making calls, but seeing the end of march decisions go out makes me hopeful for some news next week!

I am thinking many local NY people will be getting the letters that went out Wednesday today. Hopefully we will see at least another one or two acceptances here from that batch. I believe we need some uplifting news about now :D.

The two people who have been accepted interviewed late February and the first week of March and had their letters dated April 30 if I remember correctly. Perhaps they're meeting once a week and making decisions on all the interviewees that interviewed within a two week time span. So maybe the next batch that was sent out was for 2nd week and 3rd week March interviewees?

The two people who have been accepted interviewed late February and the first week of March and had their letters dated April 30 if I remember correctly. Perhaps they're meeting once a week and making decisions on all the interviewees that interviewed within a two week time span. So maybe the next batch that was sent out was for 2nd week and 3rd week March interviewees?

There's been a few decisions on those who interviewed the last week of March, I really don't know why some people hear back and some don't from the same interview date, but I can only hope that they're reviewing all the applicants quickly!

Hey
Goodluck and a sliver lining to those of you waitlisted...looking back on previous years forums it seems there really is movement off the waitlist. One person was even pulled off in late July last year!

Hey
Goodluck and a sliver lining to those of you waitlisted...looking back on previous years forums it seems there really is movement off the waitlist. One person was even pulled off in late July last year!
do you know around when the waitlist begins to move?

I interviewed March 3rd. Was told letters were (finally!) done Thursday, dropped off to mail Friday morning. I live ten minutes away and honestly am furious that it's still not here. I'm going to die waiting 2 more days until Monday.
Last night I had a dream that the letter said because I didn't fill out my height and weight on my application, it is incomplete and I have to complete it to get a response. Oh and it also added "please allow 10 business days for us to process your reply" CLEARLY I'm losing it here and enough is enough!!!

Reactions: 6 users
do you know around when the waitlist begins to move?
I'm not sure how they do it but many schools will rank you on the waitlist. Then they will wait until the class deadline, which I believe someone said was May 12th, once the class deadline is filled they will see how many spots open are left. They will then pick those people off the waitlist however they decide. That could be as early as next week or as late as the summer. It also depends on if and when someone drops out of the class. Since people are still waiting on letters that means they are filling the class from the "main" applicant pool. You have a chance of being called from the waitlist up until the first day of orientation, at some schools, which at NYCOM is 08/12.

July 1st is the deadline to pay the tuition. So I guess most movement should happen in the second week of July
Oh can there be a movement in waitiist prior to that? Like maybe some people don't pay the despot due to Multiple acceptance?

Oh can there be a movement in waitiist prior to that? Like maybe some people don't pay the despot due to Multiple acceptance?
July 1st is the deadline to pay the tuition. So I guess most movement should happen in the second week of July
Yes and Yes. Once the main applicant pool dries up, which will happen very soon, and the class drops below maximum size they will pull someone off the waitlist. It is very very disadvantageous for medical schools to start the class year with less then a full class. This is because unlike undergrad and graduate schools they really isn't room to transfer. If you accept the class, start school and then leave your spot will probably be open for the entire 4 years. This costs the school ALOT of money. That is why medical schools use a waitlist. While July may be the time that most people drop due to tuition as I said before you CAN be PULLED off the waitlist anytime before classes start. It depends where you are on the wait list and if/when someone leaves.

Spoke w admissions..they made all decisions on Thursday and sent them to be mailed Friday morning.. In state will see it Monday, OOS but tristate area on Tuesday and OOS like Florida Wednesday or Thursday.
ALSO- they still have NOT filled their class. However, They aren't giving prioriy for earlier interveiw dates at this stage(which is why some pple heard and some not) thus, sit tight and keep the spirit up ladies and gents!!

Reactions: 5 users
Nope! Both can be mixture of wait list and acceptances.. They have still more seats to fill and are just being ultra selective about it since its late in the game!
So the letters they sent out Thursday are all waitlists?[/QUOTE

Any first or second year students please write a bit about the so called "curriculum changes" that are going to be implemented this coming year (2019 graduating class)??
Also do students like the system based (vs reg biochem genetics hist anatomy etc) style of courses??

Spoke w admissions..they made all decisions on Thursday and sent them to be mailed Friday morning.. In state will see it Monday, OOS but tristate area on Tuesday and OOS like Florida Wednesday or Thursday.
ALSO- they still have NOT filled their class. However, They aren't giving prioriy for earlier interveiw dates at this stage(which is why some pple heard and some not) thus, sit tight and keep the spirit up ladies and gents!!
You got a lot more info than most of us from admissions! Sitting tight! Thanks :)