New Computer for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which iPad is better for vet school?

• iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • iPad Air 2019

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • IPad Pro 2018

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I'll add that even if your school sends lists of recommended features for a laptop, don't just blindly follow it. Ask upperclassmen what is really necessary, because some of the "required" features our school gave us were not actually required and disregarding that would have made my computer purchase a lot different.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
2. Do you have a size preference? 13" screen, 15", etc. IMO 17" and larger become royal pains to carry to/from class and are rough on the back/shoulders.
I have a 15” MBP and it is too heavy in my backpack for all day carrying with my bad back, just as a personal opinion for anyone reading. I think it weighs something like 5.5# or something (which was light back in 2012 when I got it...)

Reactions: 1 user
Hay, how have you liked ExamSoft so far?
I think it’s okay. I don’t really have anything to compare it to though. I don’t like that I can never check my scores/download my exam scoresheet directly from the program and I always have to go to their website to do it though. Why haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping for @emb30.

Have you committed to any vet schools yet? Some of them have requirements; others are looser and just provide guidelines.

Some questions to start:
1. Do you have a rough budget? <$1000, $1000, up to $1500, up to $2000, etc.
2. Do you have a size preference? 13" screen, 15", etc. IMO 17" and larger become royal pains to carry to/from class and are rough on the back/shoulders.
3. Do you want a convertible/touchscreen with a stylus so you can take notes and write directly on the screen and annotate PowerPoints and PDFs?

Some blind recommendations on makes and models:
  • Dell XPS series, such as the XPS13. There's laptop and laptop/2-in-1s. Their business models (such as Precision) are also well constructed. Inspirons are cheaper cost and cheaper reliability.
  • Lenovo "T" and "X" series. I hear the other series are a little flimsier.
  • Microsoft Surface
  • Apple Macbook Pro or MacBook Air only if you staunchly want to use macOS and are against Windows 10. Check out "Louis Rossman" on YouTube. Such as this video: The horrible truth about Apple's repeated engineering failures. -- Apple has built a reputation of building well-constructed computers and a cult following with brilliant marketing, but they also now have a reputation of lying to customers and ripping them off thousands of $$$ by misdiagnosing issues that are free/cheap to fix and saying they need $1000+ in repairs... lots of exposés on Rossman's YouTube channel. I'm sure many here love their MacBook laptops, but if you do have issues in the future, it's possible the Genius Bar will screw you.
  • HP - I generally advise against HP laptops due to unreliable quality and the fans tend to fail, but I liked my "EliteBook" the few months I was issued one. Go high end if you want to go with HP.
  • Maybe Asus?

I have not committed anywhere yet. The only DVM program I’m waiting to hear from is Iowa state which I know they provide a laptop which would take the guess work out of it.! But this you shared is super helpful thanks so much!! I didn’t even realize programs even gave guidelines/requirements for computer purchasing which is extremely helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a 15” MBP and it is too heavy in my backpack for all day carrying with my bad back, just as a personal opinion for anyone reading. I think it weighs something like 5.5# or something (which was light back in 2012 when I got it...)
They are now 4# but I agree with you. I am farsighted and do fine with a 13". I would recommend a 13" for class and then a home monitor or something if you wanted more screen real estate.

My surface pro 3 continues to be awesome except for some pen connectivity issues. I think it's a battery thing (or maybe that I'm currently using an off-brand pen haha). The fan can get a little loud if I'm running too many things at once, doesn't really bother me but might bother others. Also have no idea about newer models...I'm tempted to upgrade, but $.

My surface pro 3 continues to be awesome except for some pen connectivity issues. I think it's a battery thing (or maybe that I'm currently using an off-brand pen haha). The fan can get a little loud if I'm running too many things at once, doesn't really bother me but might bother others. Also have no idea about newer models...I'm tempted to upgrade, but $.

I had the pen connectivity issues too before my screen lost all touchscreen abilities.

(it is possible that this development had something to do with my dropping the tablet and shattering the screen)

It's been really swell for all of vet school so far!

I had the pen connectivity issues too before my screen lost all touchscreen abilities.

(it is possible that this development had something to do with my dropping the tablet and shattering the screen)

It's been really swell for all of vet school so far!
I'm honestly surprised I haven't done that yet...the velcro on the case I have is not great anymore so the whole thing collapses and falls from high places...a lot

My 17" Dell Inspiron could have lasted me through vet school (if I had gone). 8 years and counting.

My Lenovo X220T or whatever is still kicking, but I don't use it as a laptop anymore - it stays docked at work. Also has a SSD that it didn't come with, if that matters. I have a new Thinkpad too... no complaints.

:eek: Dang, I almost take back what I said about Inspirons. :thinking:

-Posted from a 2007 Dell Vostro laptop through a 2018 Dell XPS desktop. It's like Human Centipede but with Dells.
My hp pavilion is a beast. I love it. 9 years on my previous one. Upgraded for the touch screen ability for vet school so idk I've never had any issues with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Stroganoff why is google not my friend

'Cause privacy is your friend. Google is creepy af, and every product they offer -- and many are super cool and useful -- learns all about you from a different angle. Even getting into gait analysis and other biometric stuff. My innocence was lost when Snowden did his thing in 2013 and I got to read some of the stuff they're leaking or voluntarily sharing. Eff having a profile built. Sequence my DNA while you're at it! So essentially there's a private-public partnership -- which sounds great in theory -- catch all the terrorists! Catch all the criminals! Obey the Constitution! Until you realize that there's a few lies upon lies and even domestic communications (American citizen to American citizen never leaving US soil) are being accidentally on purpose recorded -- metadata and content. Screw that.

The "Google is not your friend" is more of a rebel kneejerk reaction to EVERYONE who says "Google is your friend" i.e. "Just Google it!" and I'm like F.U., I'll Duck it thank you very much.

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." - Edward Snowden

Whatever, I don't feel like stroking out and nerding too much, since I wouldn't know where to start to stay organized, and I'm already enough of a spaz.

It's deeper than that but I can see your eyes glazing over.

I made a "short" how-to guide on some anti-stalking prevention measures: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/stalk-yourself.1290955/
Who you are, where you live, what you do, who you do (haha), is all bought and sold cuz it has marketing value and... informational value or some shiz. Opt out of all that for many reasons, one of which to make it harder for crazy people and stalkers to easily find you. I typed in one of my throwaway Hotmail addresses and it led to a picture of my dad. :eek:

There's already too much commercial profiling going on if you ever use debit or credit -- even everything you buy at the grocery, when, where, why, when you're pregnant and with whom. Or have your phone on you with WiFi or Bluetooth turned on... stores are starting to spy on you too now not just at the register but as you enter the store and walk the aisles.

This all sounds incredibly "paranoid psych patient" but the more I learn about this stuff, the more I just wanna unplug and go live in a cabin in Oregon Washington or Montana. It's all very, very real. Facial recognition getting added to the usual cameras in public. Software that better reads your emotional state added too.

Constitutional violations up the wazoo, and lots of pressure to keep the status quo without legislation to regulate how our private info is shared/sold.

I worked IT at several banks in several roles but got to see some of the "Know your customer" practices that cranks over every transaction and tries to get itemized lists of things you buy then determines your value, which changes every night.

I worked 911 dispatch and legally stalked people's cell phones, and a few as we were on the phone with like Verizon to give us the location of a wanted suspect speeding across county lines so we could let sheriffs deputies to get in position to block them. Great, right? Catch the bad guys!

Except it's being used against you and I (you haz a cell phone, yes?) even more now than it has 1, 2, 3 decades ago. Collect all the data, then store it indefinitely in case we turn into a person of interest or enemy of the state.

I worked at this alumni place and had to stalk alumni and know when they died or moved. LexisNexis and Social Security and other commercial giants exist solely to datamine every gorram thing about your life.

^ rough draft ramble fest. total freak show. advise against clicking.

*checks Google phone like a hypocrite*

'Cause privacy is your friend. Google is creepy af, and every product they offer -- and many are super cool and useful -- learns all about you from a different angle. Even getting into gait analysis and other biometric stuff. My innocence was lost when Snowden did his thing in 2013 and I got to read some of the stuff they're leaking or voluntarily sharing. Eff having a profile built. Sequence my DNA while you're at it! So essentially there's a private-public partnership -- which sounds great in theory -- catch all the terrorists! Catch all the criminals! Obey the Constitution! Until you realize that there's a few lies upon lies and even domestic communications (American citizen to American citizen never leaving US soil) are being accidentally on purpose recorded -- metadata and content. Screw that.

The "Google is not your friend" is more of a rebel kneejerk reaction to EVERYONE who says "Google is your friend" i.e. "Just Google it!" and I'm like F.U., I'll Duck it thank you very much.

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." - Edward Snowden

Whatever, I don't feel like stroking out and nerding too much, since I wouldn't know where to start to stay organized, and I'm already enough of a spaz.

It's deeper than that but I can see your eyes glazing over.

I made a "short" how-to guide on some anti-stalking prevention measures: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/stalk-yourself.1290955/
Who you are, where you live, what you do, who you do (haha), is all bought and sold cuz it has marketing value and... informational value or some shiz. Opt out of all that for many reasons, one of which to make it harder for crazy people and stalkers to easily find you. I typed in one of my throwaway Hotmail addresses and it led to a picture of my dad. :eek:

There's already too much commercial profiling going on if you ever use debit or credit -- even everything you buy at the grocery, when, where, why, when you're pregnant and with whom. Or have your phone on you with WiFi or Bluetooth turned on... stores are starting to spy on you too now not just at the register but as you enter the store and walk the aisles.

This all sounds incredibly "paranoid psych patient" but the more I learn about this stuff, the more I just wanna unplug and go live in a cabin in Oregon Washington or Montana. It's all very, very real. Facial recognition getting added to the usual cameras in public. Software that better reads your emotional state added too.

Constitutional violations up the wazoo, and lots of pressure to keep the status quo without legislation to regulate how our private info is shared/sold.

I worked IT at several banks in several roles but got to see some of the "Know your customer" practices that cranks over every transaction and tries to get itemized lists of things you buy then determines your value, which changes every night.

I worked 911 dispatch and legally stalked people's cell phones, and a few as we were on the phone with like Verizon to give us the location of a wanted suspect speeding across county lines so we could let sheriffs deputies to get in position to block them. Great, right? Catch the bad guys!

Except it's being used against you and I (you haz a cell phone, yes?) even more now than it has 1, 2, 3 decades ago. Collect all the data, then store it indefinitely in case we turn into a person of interest or enemy of the state.

I worked at this alumni place and had to stalk alumni and know when they died or moved. LexisNexis and Social Security and other commercial giants exist solely to datamine every gorram thing about your life.

^ rough draft ramble fest. total freak show. advise against clicking.

*checks Google phone like a hypocrite*
I....I apparently enjoyed not knowing much more.....

:eek: Dang, I almost take back what I said about Inspirons. :thinking:

-Posted from a 2007 Dell Vostro laptop through a 2018 Dell XPS desktop. It's like Human Centipede but with Dells.
To be fair, it doesn't run well.

I did a clean boot of it and installed Ubuntu; still only use it for online homework and checking email. It's useless for anything else. I want to replace it, but I'm going to wait until I get into nursing school before dropping money.

Any advice to a total OneNote noob? Like, it seems like it would be a fantastic note-taking tool and a place to throw in PDFs and PowerPoints from class and be able to annotate stuff, but... I guess it just takes time to learn a new tool. I wanna try to transition away from paper notebooks for class and digitize stuff, but only if it's truly a good replacement.

I used it for a couple weeks for a job in like 2014 but never really got the hang of it. Like it's not like Word or Excel where you can specify where you want to save your notebook -- it seems to want to sync in the cloud or some crap, and I'd prefer to have total control and save my OneNote notebooks locally and be in charge of my own syncing.

Any advice to a total OneNote noob? Like, it seems like it would be a fantastic note-taking tool and a place to throw in PDFs and PowerPoints from class and be able to annotate stuff, but... I guess it just takes time to learn a new tool. I wanna try to transition away from paper notebooks for class and digitize stuff, but only if it's truly a good replacement.

I used it for a couple weeks for a job in like 2014 but never really got the hang of it. Like it's not like Word or Excel where you can specify where you want to save your notebook -- it seems to want to sync in the cloud or some crap, and I'd prefer to have total control and save my OneNote notebooks locally and be in charge of my own syncing.
I think you can still specify if you just want to save it to your computer? I have everything synced to onedrive so I'm not sure though.

I saved all of mine to my computer. It’s not quite like word or excel where you can just find and open those files directly though, you still need to open them using oneNote. I liked it though, and I like that I can search individual notebooks or all notebooks to easily find stuff from previous classes.

Use Laptop Comparison Chart for choosing a laptop based off of specs. You can change parameters like size, weight, price, type of storage space, etc.

If you want to use some more demanding programs, go for an i5 or better with an SSD and at least 8 GB of ram. If you’re literally only using it for note taking, PowerPoint, and web browsing then an i3 with 4 GB of ram and basically any HDD is fine. If you feel comfortable doing it and the computer is expandable, you can install an SSD (usually an M.2 which can be pricy) down the road. I tend to recommend brands like asus, Lenovo, Acer, or MSI. Not a big fan of dell. They’re very common but I’ve just had a lot of bad experiences with it.

I've been using OneNote since I started undergrad. It's awesome being able to have aaaallll those class notes at my fingertips when I need to search for something, as well as the ease of organization (can multiple notebooks for different purposes, different tabs for different classes, etc.).

Microsoft pushes you to sync it to the cloud in onedrive, but you can absolutely choose to save it to your local drive or another cloud service (at least, you can in OneNote 2016 and earlier...I think I read that they removed the ability to save locally in the current version which comes with Win10, but I honestly hated that version and got rid of it for 2016 so not sure). After the first semester of vet school, I ran out of space on my Onedrive account (they only give you 5gb free, and all those pictures I pasted in Anatomy really ate that up fast), so to free up space and continue auto-syncing I saved all my old school notes locally to both my tablet and laptop, then removed them from syncing to Onedrive since they no longer need to be auto-updated.

Microsoft pushes you to sync it to the cloud in onedrive, but you can absolutely choose to save it to your local drive or another cloud service (at least, you can in OneNote 2016 and earlier...I think I read that they removed the ability to save locally in the current version which comes with Win10, but I honestly hated that version and got rid of it for 2016 so not sure).
Oof, see that's what worries me with Microsoft. If they're gonna phase out local saving and generally letting users have freedom and control, I don't want to start using OneNote. I mean there's competing products like EverNote. Humph. :thinking:

Oof, see that's what worries me with Microsoft. If they're gonna phase out local saving and generally letting users have freedom and control, I don't want to start using OneNote. I mean there's competing products like EverNote. Humph. :thinking:
I plan on sticking with Onenote 2013 and 2016 for as long as possible--from what I'm reading on Msofts support site, they're simply "no longer being updated with new features" but they continue to offer/support onenote '16 due to its legacy compatibility and ability to save files locally, + other miscellaneous features which the new app version doesn't support. Apparently extended support for '16 will continue until 2025...I agree though, I think I'd have to stop if they ever phased out local saving entirely. I already don't really like the direction they're going with Office 365, so I'm glad I could get Office '13 and '16 through my school. I've never personally tried evernote, but could be a good option.

I have been looking into a new computer for school. I love my chromebook and think it would be sufficient for most things but it is not really good for note taking because free text is my only option.

I also wanted a new computer because I have been looking into medical transcription as a means of getting income while in vet school.

Based on this thread, I am feeling good about a Lenovo 2-in-1. Since I'm not a gamer or anything I don't care about the fancy schmancy graphics or whatever they wanna add.

I like the Yoga 720, and the Flex 6 second to that, both under $600. But, neither are in stock :mad:

Last edited:
I have a new ASUS coming... supposed to be here today sometime. Touchscreen, backlit keyboard (features of my current one that I couldn't live without now that I'm used to using them!), more RAM than what I'm running, and a better graphics package to hopefully make viewing rads and ultrasound images/cineloops a bit easier. I'm also going in for a gastroscopy and biopsies this afternoon, so hopefully it arrives while someone's home... I'd really rather my new laptop not be sitting on my front step to be snatched!!

I have a new ASUS coming... supposed to be here today sometime. Touchscreen, backlit keyboard (features of my current one that I couldn't live without now that I'm used to using them!), more RAM than what I'm running, and a better graphics package to hopefully make viewing rads and ultrasound images/cineloops a bit easier. I'm also going in for a gastroscopy and biopsies this afternoon, so hopefully it arrives while someone's home... I'd really rather my new laptop not be sitting on my front step to be snatched!!
It just arrived :D

Reactions: 1 users
I have been looking into a new computer for school. I love my chromebook and think it would be sufficient for most things but it is not really good for note taking because free text is my only option.

I also wanted a new computer because I have been looking into medical transcription as a means of getting income while in vet school.

Based on this thread, I am feeling good about a Lenovo 2-in-1. Since I'm not a gamer or anything I don't care about the fancy schmancy graphics or whatever they wanna add.

I like the Yoga 720, and the Flex 6 second to that, both under $600. But, neither are in stock :mad:

I have a Lenovo Yoga 910 and I LOVE IT. My only complaint is that my computer isn't compatible with an active pen, but I think this may be just the specific Lenovo I have. I'm sure the other Lenovo Yoga laptops are compatible with active pens. I would double-check if I were you in case you want to use a WACOM pen or one of those fancy active pens for note-taking.

I just ordered my laptop. The prices on the Lenovo website are weird and not trustworthy. There were a couple cheaper models on there that have since gone up a couple hundred dollars. And, it seemed like whenever there was an ongoing sale, the base price would conveniently go up.

I ended up buying a Lenovo Flex 14 off of Amazon for $529. I've been watching it at $579 and saw a $50 drop and decided to buy it. I don't know SQUAT about comparing computers because I literally do nothing on my computers except browse interwebs. I do see that it is a 2-in-1, which is what I wanted, includes an active pen (whatever that is), and a fingerprint reader (sounds cool)

Amazon product for anyone interested

Hello SDN!

I do not currently own a laptop (nor have bought one) and want a portable, reliable laptop. I'd love a 2-in-1 for the flexibility. It seems as if Missouri/Tennessee do not have stringent requirements.

What computer do you have now, and do you like it?
If you don't, what do you wish you had instead?

Hello SDN!

I do not currently own a laptop (nor have bought one) and want a portable, reliable laptop. I'd love a 2-in-1 for the flexibility. It seems as if Missouri/Tennessee do not have stringent requirements.

What computer do you have now, and do you like it?
If you don't, what do you wish you had instead?
I have a surface pro and love it! Have had it since my second semester of vet school and it has been very useful

I will be starting my first year at The Ohio State University Veterinary School this fall and I started looking into iPad's for vet school because my family offered to get me one for graduating with an undergraduate degree. I'm debating between the newest iPad Pro and the newest iPad Air. The iPad Pro is about $300 more and i'm wondering if it is worth it? Is there any noticeable differences? I'm also up for any first year advice! Thank you!

Hi! I'm looking into a good long lasting laptop for all four years of vet school. I am interested in the surface pros but am open to anything. What is y'alls favorites? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!! I hope all is going well this year! I will be starting vet school in the fall and will be needing a new computer. I am wondering what your recommendations are (looking for current vet students)?? Thank you for your help :)

New grad here, a lot of people enjoy their Apple products which is fine, but I really love my Surface Pro. I have a 3 which I used all through school and still use every day.

Hey guys!! I hope all is going well this year! I will be starting vet school in the fall and will be needing a new computer. I am wondering what your recommendations are (looking for current vet students)?? Thank you for your help :)
Definitely check and make sure your school doesn’t have any specific requirements. Some require specific computers/iPads and others just have minimum hardware requirements

Reactions: 3 users