New Computer for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which iPad is better for vet school?

• iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • iPad Air 2019

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • IPad Pro 2018

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I would still recommend through Apple themselves just for the piece of mind that they’ve checked it over and it meets their standards, but that’s just me.
And anything that doesn’t come from them could possibly have had an owner repair that voided the warranty, whereas if it’s from Apple, there is absolutely no doubt that it is under warranty and nothing has been done to void that. But that’s just me. :shrug:
Eh I'm not super concerned with that. I also think it isn't too hard to judge whether a person is being honest or not. My SO is a computer sci person so I'm confident I can check out the computer well enough, esp with his help. There's a number of diagnostic tests you can easily run to make sure the comp works well. Additionally, the comp my dad bought only had 10 battery cycles on it, so it was basically unused.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking at my third computer in three years because I spilled coffee on mine (one of my cats helped...). A third of the keyboard is useless and the warranty doesn't cover stupidity. Tried to get it repaired outside of warranty, but my usual guy can't do it and I can't be without one for as long as they're telling me it's going to take from the manufacturer. I may get it fixed by the manufacturer after I get a new one up and running, and keep it as a backup. So frustrated! Thank goodness all my school stuff is on my OneDrive so all I have to do is synch my new machine with it and everything'll be there, but still.... At least at this point I know exactly what I want in a new one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions on the best cheaper laptops? Just had to spend $515 on the iPad plus Pencil, which is required tech for my school. Unfortunately, my current laptop (Lenovo Yoga 13) is 5 years old at this point, and I'd like to replace it because I'm afraid it won't make it through vet school. I'd like a replacement without breaking the bank. Everything decent I've found so far seems to be $1200+.

Any suggestions on the best cheaper laptops? Just had to spend $515 on the iPad plus Pencil, which is required tech for my school. Unfortunately, my current laptop (Lenovo Yoga 13) is 5 years old at this point, and I'd like to replace it because I'm afraid it won't make it through vet school. I'd like a replacement without breaking the bank. Everything decent I've found so far seems to be $1200+.
I'd recommend looking for something with at least an i5 processor, 8 gb of RAM, and a SSD. There are quite a few options in the 800-ish range but they won't be built as well as computers in the 1200+ range.

I agree largely with @ziggyandjazzy. You could also go for an AMD processor versus Intel, which tends to be a cheaper move.

As we discussed a couple of pages back, I honestly think that 8 GB is basically the minimum for RAM these days if you do any amount of real multitasking. There's a few laptops still being sold or offered with 4 GB, but that's pushing it now, especially if you're planning to run Windows as opposed to, say, a lightweight Linux distro or something. I've seen computers gobble up 3-4 GB RAM and spill over into pagefile/swap just with something like 12 moderately intensive tabs in Chrome on Windows 10.

Since you're using the iPad with the Pencil to take notes (presumably), I'm assuming that touch input and/or digitizer with pen input isn't a dealbreaker for you? If so, that cuts down the cost even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah. So far I’ve been trying to find a decent device with 8 GB RAM, at least a 7th gen i5 processor, and 256 GB SSD. There are a number of good devices out there, just expensive, which I realize is necessary for higher quality, but I was just hoping someone might know of something decent for less money.

As an aside, here’s some info on brand reliability from Consumer Reports. Might be helpful for anyone trying to decide between Apple and a Windows device.
B9C9D0CD-3945-4994-A844-9A21142C449F.png

Oof. I wish that Consumer Reports chart broke things out a bit further between consumer line and business line. I believe Dell's and HP's business laptops are built sturdier than their consumer and budget lines.

Last edited:
Oof. I wish that Consumer Reports chart broke things out a bit further between consumer line and business line. I believe Dell and HP's business laptops are built sturdier than their consumer and budget lines.
I was thinking that data might be skewed. And this is coming from an Apple person lol. I don't think there are really any cheap macs, and I'm sure the more spendy ones are less likely to fail. However, it is interesting microsoft has such a high failure rate.

Oof. I wish that Consumer Reports chart broke things out a bit further between consumer line and business line. I believe Dell's and HP's business laptops are built sturdier than their consumer and budget lines.
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it. That chart really needs to be broken down further. When you compare a $2000 MacBook to a $400 consumer line Dell, HP, Asus, etc., it's only natural that the Mac machine is going to be of sturdier build quality. A more apt and accurate comparison would be to look at that same $2000 MacBook versus a $2000 laptop from a non-Apple hardware vendor.

They also don't specify what exactly constitutes a "breakage". We can't be sure if the chart refers to software or even OS issues (which has nothing to do with actual build quality by the manufacturer/vendor), hardware issues (could, potentially, or it could be something caused by the end user), a catchall for both, or something else. Especially so because the data appears to be self-reported by subscribers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah for sure. Posting this from my 2007 Dell business-line laptop. Sturdy as heck and well maintained/upgraded. I think I used like $700 in coupons and total cost was about $2000 back then, and I've upgraded a lot since then. The major brands cater to the budget crowd at like $300 and to the super high end $4000+ pros. And there's lemons with different models and years and chassis, just like with vehicles. And heck, Apple generally builds good stuff, but a lot of it is profit margin, and sometimes things do tend to fail (like the current keyboard issue I think).

To stay on topic for this thread, if I were a full-time student again, I may learn what all the cool kids use nowadays and get a Surface Pro (5th Gen?) with OneNote to take fancy notes I can search and stuff.

Ugh, but I also like "normal" laptops too and totally would get a beefy Dell XPS 13" for portability and good quality. I loooove HP's Elitebook's built-in privacy shield thing you can turn on and off (so people can't read your screen without being directly in front of it).

And honestly? What's their definition of "breakage"? If it's a survey of users, a lot of people are tech illiterate, and it could only be their opinion that something's broken (like not booting up) when it's not really a failure or breakage.

Would it be more of a PITA to have to buy a new one if your current Yoga breaks during vet school? I know when you're in the thick of things, computer problems would suck more. But there's no guarantee that your current Yoga will fail, and no guarantee that a new laptop will be reliable.

But... maybe if you buy a cheaper new one and keep your current one, you can have 2 working machines which is way safer.

Maybe check out The Wirecutter - Laptops to get current reviews. It looks like they put in a lot of time and effort in testing things.

I wrote like a 3-4 hour novel/post in late 2016 in the SDN Tech forum Advice for the Tech Idiot on laptop purchasing and other tips and most of it is still relevant in 2018.

Last edited:
I'm looking at my third computer in three years because I spilled coffee on mine (one of my cats helped...). A third of the keyboard is useless and the warranty doesn't cover stupidity. Tried to get it repaired outside of warranty, but my usual guy can't do it and I can't be without one for as long as they're telling me it's going to take from the manufacturer. I may get it fixed by the manufacturer after I get a new one up and running, and keep it as a backup. So frustrated! Thank goodness all my school stuff is on my OneDrive so all I have to do is synch my new machine with it and everything'll be there, but still.... At least at this point I know exactly what I want in a new one!
If it's just the laptop keyboard that's wonky and coffee'd, can you just buy a cheap keyboard (I like the Logitech K120 for cheap but still sturdy keyboard... $10-15) and just plug it into USB? That'll do in a pinch to use at home at least.

Last edited:
To stay on topic for this thread, if I were a full-time student again, I may learn what all the cool kids use nowadays and get a Surface Pro (5th Gen?) with OneNote to take fancy notes I can search and stuff.

Slightly adjacent to topic but this reminded me, having searchable notes all in one place is a godsend for open book quizzes, and any situation where I need to find something really specific.

I'm still working on transferring my notes from first year from my old tablet to my surface pro. Well, most of them. It seems I had some kind of mental break and deleted all my first semester notes in a fit of rage...

Members don't see this ad :)
Slightly adjacent to topic but this reminded me, having searchable notes all in one place is a godsend for open book quizzes, and any situation where I need to find something really specific.

I'm still working on transferring my notes from first year from my old tablet to my surface pro. Well, most of them. It seems I had some kind of mental break and deleted all my first semester notes in a fit of rage...
Any apps that you can recommend (for use in a MBP)? I want one where you can transfer the ppt slides directly to it.

Any apps that you can recommend (for use in a MBP)? I want one where you can transfer the ppt slides directly to it.
Notability for Macs and OneNote for both PC & Macs are consistently top ranked for apps that allow you to transfer pdfs and ppts to then type/annonate on/around.

For anyone who cares, a new MBP was released today

Technologically inclined friends, does anyone have thoughts on the Acer Spin 3 or others in the same series?

Soooo I got the new macbook pro. And I am pretty much in love. This thing is gorgeous and works like a dream.

There's been some drama/controversy over the 2018 MacBook Pros, particularly the ones with the Intel i9 CPU. The gist is that the amount of heat produced by all those CPU cores can't be adequately removed (cooled) from the laptop fast enough, causing the laptop to overheat and slow down to protect itself. This happens most often when doing something really intense like video editing/exporting or 3D stuff.

The 2018 MacBook Pro has a problem with overheating | ZDNet
About that MacBook Pro Core i9 throttling story
MacBook Pro (mid 2018) throttling – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home
The Core i9 MacBook Pro Has a Serious Throttling Problem
Here’s how Apple’s new MacBook Pro throttles with Final Cut Pro X exports [U]
YouTuber Claims 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Upgraded Core i9 Chip is Severely Throttled Due to Thermal Issues

Seems legitimate honestly, and I'm surprised Apple would try to cram an i9 into a laptop -- especially a fairly thin one. Save your money guise and avoid the more expensive i9.

I haven't seen any drama over the cheaper models with i7 CPUs (4- or 6-core) or the i5s, but I also haven't read all the articles in depth.

There's been some drama/controversy over the 2018 MacBook Pros, particularly the ones with the Intel i9 CPU. The gist is that the amount of heat produced by all those CPU cores can't be adequately removed (cooled) from the laptop fast enough, causing the laptop to overheat and slow down to protect itself. This happens most often when doing something really intense like video editing/exporting or 3D stuff.

YouTuber Claims 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Upgraded Core i9 Chip is Severely Throttled Due to Thermal Issues

Seems legitimate honestly, and I'm surprised Apple would try to cram an i9 into a laptop -- especially a fairly thin one. Save your money guise and avoid the more expensive i9.

I haven't seen any drama over the cheaper models with i7 CPUs (4- or 6-core) or the i5s, but I also haven't read all the articles in depth.
More drama is they’re apparently not compatible with the exam software Illinois uses (examsoft examplify?)

Yeah I have heard about "throttlegate" also. I got a 13" so it isn't an issue.

More drama is they’re apparently not compatible with the exam software Illinois uses (examsoft examplify?)
Ooh dang. Should I check on something like that for Oregon State?

Ooh dang. Should I check on something like that for Oregon State?
I definitely would. I think Apple gives you 14 days to return your device, if there is some sort of hardware issue that makes it incompatible with any exam software they use.
It could be totally fine for theirs or they could have loaners for this purpose (since it’s a new development and most people wouldn’t be able to do anything and it’s not their fault) like uiuc does so I’d definitely ask.

I agree. This is what we were forwarded from the school from examsoft.

View attachment 237645
OK that sort of makes more sense now even though it doesn't really give enough details to figure out what's really to blame.

But it makes me feel really old now. Y'all take exams on computers? On your personal computers? That you take to a classroom or proctored environment? Oh my stars.

Back in my day it was all pencil and paper, and any tech was Scantrons. I guess some online classes we took exams and quizzes using Blackboard from home. But none of this "Bring Your Own Device" stuff.

OK that sort of makes more sense now even though it doesn't really give enough details to figure out what's really to blame.

But it makes me feel really old now. Y'all take exams on computers? On your personal computers? That you take to a classroom or proctored environment? Oh my stars.

Back in my day it was all pencil and paper, and any tech was Scantrons. I guess some online classes we took exams and quizzes using Blackboard from home. But none of this "Bring Your Own Device" stuff.
We still do paper tests but starting with the class below us they're using ExamSoft at my school too. Idk about other professional schools but for vet schools at least it seems to be the thing to do now.

We still do paper tests but starting with the class below us they're using ExamSoft at my school too. Idk about other professional schools but for vet schools at least it seems to be the thing to do now.
Oof. I'm a huge scribbler on paper exams and love circling, underlining, crossing out bad answers, drawing lines and arrows, frantically brainstorming, etc. IDK how much of that is lost on computer based testing. :(

Also seems like multiple choice, matching, true/false, short answer would be pretty much it. IDK how well something like ExamSoft translates to diagrams and anatomy stuff.

Oof. I'm a huge scribbler on paper exams and love circling, underlining, crossing out bad answers, drawing lines and arrows, frantically brainstorming, etc. IDK how much of that is lost on computer based testing. :(

Also seems like multiple choice, matching, true/false, short answer would be pretty much it. IDK how well something like ExamSoft translates to diagrams and anatomy stuff.
At least here, anatomy is still done the old way (or the practical portion is, not sure about the written portion, which is multiple choice). Most of our tests are multiple choice anyway, the ones that are more than that don't go beyond what you listed above.

My favorite thing about examsoft is being able to flag questions I want to go back to--even though I flag a good 80% of the questions on some exams.

My least favorite thing about examsoft is when it decides to be a jerk and then the IT guy has to restart my laptop 5 times just so that I can get the exam to open in the first place.

But overall I think I actually do prefer computer exams to paper ones. I just wish the technical issues would go away.

Yep I do this on exams too. All undergrad we had scantron exams if it was multiple choice (or there was a scantron section and a written section) and I always cross out answers and scribble, so I’m not really sure how I’m going to like the new system. And I only graduated undergrad in 2016 so it’s not like it was that long ago that paper tests were still a thing for me
But from my understanding the exam software locks the rest of your computer/internet?? So you can’t be cheating? I don’t really know.

Yep I do this on exams too. All undergrad we had scantron exams if it was multiple choice (or there was a scantron section and a written section) and I always cross out answers and scribble, so I’m not really sure how I’m going to like the new system. And I only graduated undergrad in 2016 so it’s not like it was that long ago that paper tests were still a thing for me
But from my understanding the exam software locks the rest of your computer/internet?? So you can’t be cheating? I don’t really know.

Crossing out answers is a thing you can do on examsoft.

Yeah, the exam software generally locks the rest of your computer for the duration of the exam. It'll close any open programs and you can't do anything but take the exam until you've submitted it. (Although in one of my classes, we had open note exams so the exam was set up specifically to *not* lock our computer so we could open lecture powerpoints and whatnot)

Crossing out answers is a thing you can do on examsoft.

Yeah, the exam software generally locks the rest of your computer for the duration of the exam. It'll close any open programs and you can't do anything but take the exam until you've submitted it. (Although in one of my classes, we had open note exams so the exam was set up specifically to *not* lock our computer so we could open lecture powerpoints and whatnot)
Oooooo good I’m glad I can cross things out still.

Do a lot of schools use examsoft? I am now worried!! I sent an email to make sure that my comp will fit the specs while I can still return it. But honestly, I can't imagine using a program that Mac users couldn't use. That's a big segment of the market I would think.

Do a lot of schools use examsoft? I am now worried!! I sent an email to make sure that my comp will fit the specs while I can still return it. But honestly, I can't imagine using a program that Mac users couldn't use. That's a big segment of the market I would think.
Well it's not that Mac users in general can't use it, it's just the new device. Schools were already using ExamSoft before the new MBP came out.
Of the schools I've hear of that do their testing on computers, ExamSoft is the only program that I've seen mentioned.

Well it's not that Mac users in general can't use it, it's just the new device. Schools were already using ExamSoft before the new MBP came out.
Of the schools I've hear of that do their testing on computers, ExamSoft is the only program that I've seen mentioned.

Yeah, it’s not ALL mac users, JUST the new 2018 MacBook Pro because Apple changed something in that specific computer that is not currently compatible with examsoft.

@WildZoo @SkiOtter But what would make the hardware of the computer not compatible? Instead of the OS. It just doesn't make sense, but I don't really know much about computers at all. It looks like at times, people have to disable their touchbar in order to do an exam.

But, it appears it doesn't matter for OSU. woohoo!

@WildZoo @SkiOtter But what would make the hardware of the computer not compatible? Instead of the OS. It just doesn't make sense, but I don't really know much about computers at all. It looks like at times, people have to disable their touchbar in order to do an exam.

But, it appears it doesn't matter for OSU. woohoo!
Yo I find it just as weird as you

But yay!!! I’m glad your computer is completely fine for your school!!!

There is a fix, developed by someone on Reddit and refined by Apple.

That's awesome news! Now all the silly gooses can blow $7000 on a loaded i9 15" MBP. *hatorade*

If I had the desire/time, I'd make an animated GIF: *z-snap* GO TO THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL... LAPTOP *z-snap*
I don't really think buying them cheapest laptop is a good idea lol. But then again, I don't think most people should spend 7k on a laptop either.

Late to the conversation, but here we have a mix of paper exams, Scantrons, and online exams depending on the class. I think they're trying to transition to mostly online exams, but right now it's up to each professor. We don't use Examsoft, any online exams are on Canvas (which is very similar to Blackboard). Our computers are provided by the school and come pre-loaded with the software they use to block other programs/websites during exams. ("Fun" fact, they also use this software to block our internet during most third year classes. I'm not looking forward to it...) Anyway, on Canvas there's not a way to mark out answers or anything, but often the professors will provide a paper copy of the test as well that we're free to mark up, or they'll at least provide scratch paper.

Ugh I can't find it sorry guys. There was discussion somewhere on screen protectors for computers/tablets-recommendation for or against? Tempered glass? Leze?Oguard? Looking on amazon.

Update: examsoft got their **** together and now it’s compatible with the new MBP too so now you don’t have to worry about that :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Bumping for @emb30.

Have you committed to any vet schools yet? Some of them have requirements; others are looser and just provide guidelines.

Some questions to start:
1. Do you have a rough budget? <$1000, $1000, up to $1500, up to $2000, etc.
2. Do you have a size preference? 13" screen, 15", etc. IMO 17" and larger become royal pains to carry to/from class and are rough on the back/shoulders.
3. Do you want a convertible/touchscreen with a stylus so you can take notes and write directly on the screen and annotate PowerPoints and PDFs?

Some blind recommendations on makes and models:
  • Dell XPS series, such as the XPS13. There's laptop and laptop/2-in-1s. Their business models (such as Precision) are also well constructed. Inspirons are cheaper cost and cheaper reliability.
  • Lenovo "T" and "X" series. I hear the other series are a little flimsier.
  • Microsoft Surface
  • Apple Macbook Pro or MacBook Air only if you staunchly want to use macOS and are against Windows 10. Check out "Louis Rossman" on YouTube. Such as this video: The horrible truth about Apple's repeated engineering failures. -- Apple has built a reputation of building well-constructed computers and a cult following with brilliant marketing, but they also now have a reputation of lying to customers and ripping them off thousands of $$$ by misdiagnosing issues that are free/cheap to fix and saying they need $1000+ in repairs... lots of exposés on Rossman's YouTube channel. I'm sure many here love their MacBook laptops, but if you do have issues in the future, it's possible the Genius Bar will screw you.
  • HP - I generally advise against HP laptops due to unreliable quality and the fans tend to fail, but I liked my "EliteBook" the few months I was issued one. Go high end if you want to go with HP.
  • Maybe Asus?