New CMO of GenesisCare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BruiservonWillebrand

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Can't image this helps anyone other then their shareholders.

Members don't see this ad :)
“The Rad Onc Goon Squad”, don’t you worry folks! It’s all good!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I’m sure Wally is getting a pay increase.

Meh maybe. According to propublica good old wally was clearing at least a million as the head honcho at Winship. Cant imagine Genesis Care ponying up much more than that for him but hey who knows. ROs are a desperate and greedy bunch. they probably could have hired a chair at a mid to low tier program for a fraction.

Meh maybe. According to propublica good old wally was clearing at least a million as the head honcho at Winship. Cant imagine Genesis Care ponying up much more than that for him but hey who knows. ROs are a desperate and greedy bunch. they probably could have hired a chair at a mid to low tier program for a fraction.

I can only assume that he didn’t leave for ethical reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Price gouging/extreme financial drive and million dollar salaries for those at the top shows how academics is in many ways a reincarnation of the 21c from the early 2000s. Ironically, Wally will now be leading the major provider of cost effective xrt!

salary of lawyer who ran 21c for hedge fund was 700k. Doubt Wallys is much higher. Probably under some pressure to move on, and didn’t want to be emeritus (how long he has held onto coop group). must be in charge of something.

Last edited:
The only thing I marvel at more than the salaries these people are getting but also my sheer naïveté as a resident.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The only thing I marvel at more than the salaries these people are getting but also my sheer naïveté as a resident.

Ah, but that's what you're trained to do from the beginning to survive! From the minute you decide to pursue medicine as a career, to survive you must trust and be subservient to authority, that's what being a doctor is all about. It takes years of being burned before you begin to consider, let alone accept, that maybe those senior to us who have their thumbs on the trachea of our careers might not be looking out for us...perhaps they're just as greedy as an oil baron.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hoping Jeff Bradley gets to run the place... he's a good dude and it never looked like he would be given the chance at his previous location!

Members don't see this ad :)
they are going surprisingly strong. hiring.

They used to be 21st Century before, right? Sleazy, bottom of the barrel place. I know someone who used to work there... they don't believe in breast hypofractionation and treat RNI in everyone just so they can conventionally fractionate. They also never treat more than 180cGy per fraction, and always go to higher total doses than necessary (e.g. 66 Gy for all breast cancer, 86+ for all prostate cancer). Makes you wish for APM to come as soon as humanly possible.

They used to be 21st Century before, right? Sleazy, bottom of the barrel place. I know someone who used to work there... they don't believe in breast hypofractionation and treat RNI in everyone just so they can conventionally fractionate. They also never treat more than 180cGy per fraction, and always go to higher total doses than necessary (e.g. 66 Gy for all breast cancer, 86+ for all prostate cancer). Makes you wish for APM to come as soon as humanly possible.
Be careful what you wish for. There are a lot of practices like this who are not posting on sdn and twitter. They act a employment sink for new hires, but not after the apm starts.

I'm not sure if Genesis / 21C is that bad. You are thinking CTCA.

I'm not sure if Genesis / 21C is that bad. You are thinking CTCA.
21C (now Genesis Care) is made up of so many different practices that have been acquired over the last several years by them (SFRO, Oncure etc), definitely some bad actors in there for sure, but I think the sleaze happens at the practice/doctor level, not the whole org. The docs are RVU-based like many places, so obviously more fractions will pay more, but that type of incentive isn't unique to them

21C (now Genesis Care) is made up of so many different practices that have been acquired over the last several years by them (SFRO, Oncure etc), definitely some bad actors in there for sure, but I think the sleaze happens at the practice/doctor level, not the whole org. The docs are RVU-based like many places, so obviously more fractions will pay more, but that type of incentive isn't unique to them
I would go with history and then my own experience in two different states. All together, there were a few docs who seemed ok but there was definitely some shady stuff going on. One of the places was in FL where some of those lawsuits took place.

21st century and CTCA are like:
51NMuF7zUFL._SX342_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Haha
Could someone educate us on what this company (GenesisCare) does EXACTLY?

Could someone educate us on what this company (GenesisCare) does EXACTLY?
It's pretty straightforward. GC is a nation-wide company of 300 physicians mainly in Radiation Oncology and Urology. They use their size to leverage private insurers to give them better rates and to make cost efficient capital purchases. On the clinical/operational end they are probably fairly uniform in their protocols and processes.

It isn't rocket science.

It's pretty straightforward. GC is a nation-wide company of 300 physicians mainly in Radiation Oncology and Urology. They use their size to leverage private insurers to give them better rates and to make cost efficient capital purchases. On the clinical/operational end they are probably fairly uniform in their protocols and processes.

It isn't rocket science.
International company

Major interest to expand and increase marketshare and therefore (as alluded) insurance/price leverage and profit. Any guess on C level salaries vs. rad oncs?

They are currently equipping more sites with advanced modalities as part of this expansion (think SRS/SBRT)

So,

Is it a FT admin job?
Can a physician practice medicine (Radonc or Urol) let's say 50% of the time and the other 50% does this GC thingy?
How does it work from the day-to-day thing?

Do their US radoncs own any equity? I doubt it

A lot of docs I knew at 21 c were happy overall, but there were a few practices that seemed to have constant turnover. Have no idea if Genesis is a better or worse employer.

Just wanted to make sure that this notion of “company of physicians” is not true for GenesisCare

Supposedly, their guaranteed pay is higher than that at competing academic sattelites

Is it better or worse than academics? Honest question.

Based on these two hires, it looks like GenesisCare will be focusing on prostate cancer to some extent.
Radiotherapy businesses (protons incl.) focusing on CaP is like... Microsoft focusing on Office. Gotta go where the $$$ is. The top 4 CMS rad onc claims in order I believe are prostate, breast, lung, bone mets. And those 4 make up 75% of all claims.

Reactions: 4 users
If you ain’t followin’ the money, you ain’t got no moola, brotha!

Wow, they are really investing. I’m assuming business is booming these days!

I hope the multiple IMRT plans per patient holds up for the GC investors.

if they were smart they'd lobby hard and drop some serious money to make that happen lol. It seems the only ones that really know how to get what they want out of Washington are the PE/Venture Capitalists groups.

Another press release says they are purchasing 100 LINACs. If anyone has their solid contact in recruitment, please post (or PM :) )

Another press release says they are purchasing 100 LINACs. If anyone has their solid contact in recruitment, please post (or PM :) )
Could be just refurbishment/replacement. They inherited some fairly ancient equipment since the turn of the century... Lots of 2100C and 21EX machines in many of the practices they've acquired

Australia mirrors America a lot, and probably the most of any other country, in terms of hypofractionation reticence. I hope they've factored in that 5 fractions (or less) is going to be the standard in prostate, breast, colorectal by the end of this decade.

When I had considered working for 21c years ago I was told I could buy stock in the company and have equity just like anyone else.

So whether you're working for old 21c or new Genesiscare, the question is are their rad oncs paid well and treated fairly?

I don't really care if my boss is Chinese or the University of X--pay me fairly and treat me with respect. This is being an employed rad onc. New boss, same as the old boss.

I wonder what the government expects in return for this investment

Control over a major player in the US cancer care market?
Even if Genesis will become very profitable (doubt), that's not kind of money sovereign wealth funds are usually after.
Also, that Moody note does say employees have a 30% stake