GenesisCare filing for bankruptcy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radiadouken

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
how will this affect the practices here? they have a huge presence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it means they'll start losing the surgical oncologists and urologists they signed up to serve as a referral stream, which probably means an uptick in new patients for Genesis' competition.

Reactions: 1 users
don’t the US RadOncs working at Genesis own “shares”? I bet that equity will get wiped out in proceedings

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
GenesisCare, a provider of cancer-care services backed by KKR, is preparing to file for bankruptcy within days, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Australia-based company, which also operates in the U.S. and Europe, is in talks to receive roughly $200 million in new financing to see it through bankruptcy, the people said. GenesisCare is advised by lawyers from Kirkland & Ellis. China Resources Group is also an owner of the company. Representatives for GenesisCare, Kirkland and KKR didn’t respond to inquiries seeking comment. China Resources Group couldn’t be reached.

GenesisCare has been struggling under a debt load in part stemming from its $1.5 billion acquisition of 21st Century Oncology in 2020. Healthcare service provider 21st Century Oncology filed for bankruptcy in 2017, blaming changes in insurance reimbursement practices in addition to government penalties and settlements. It emerged from chapter 11 in 2019.
Since October, S&P Global has cut GenesisCare’s credit ratings twice, each time pushing it one notch deeper into distressed territory, raising expectations that the company would default.

The ratings company cited rising borrowing costs, sluggish recovery in patient volumes and a slower recovery in the U.S. for the downgrades. GenesisCare had $154 million in cash as of September, but its liquidity has been getting worse since then, according to S&P Global.

Private-equity firms have been facing increasing challenges in refinancing portfolio companies’ debts as interest rates rise and financing has become more difficult to access in recent months.

Envision Healthcare, another KKR-backed healthcare provider, filed for chapter 11 earlier this month. The private-equity firm has written off its $3.5 billion investment in the physician-staffing company it acquired in 2018, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

Boo hoo. You buy a bloated underperforming asset in a difficult operating envirnoment with significant reimbursement headwinds and...

You Lose Good Day GIF

Just know that while the little people (doctors/nurses/staff) will get salary cuts, loss of any stock options etc. remember that the CEO and his C-buddies got paid to run it into the ground, so don't worry, their yacht and 3rd home are not impacted whatsoever. Whew.

ps. Some of their docs were earning 1M plus. Ok. But only as W2. And they did some funny "regional director" hiring that was unkosher - hard pass. Now look. Karma: its not just chickens that roost.

pss. don't worry, I got mine. I did one of those "expert opinion" calls.. they paid me 300$ to ask my opinion (by an anonymous PE firm client) about whether to buy 21C out of debt. I told them I'd write the check myself, but only if I could have operational control... lol..

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Boo hoo. You buy a bloated underperforming asset in a difficult operating envirnoment with significant reimbursement headwinds and...

You Lose Good Day GIF

Just know that while the little people (doctors/nurses/staff) will get salary cuts, loss of any stock options etc. remember that the CEO and his C-buddies got paid to run it into the ground, so don't worry, their yacht and 3rd home are not impacted whatsoever. Whew.

ps. Some of their docs were earning 1M plus. Ok. But only as W2. And they did some funny "regional director" hiring that was unkosher - hard pass. Now look. Karma: its not just chickens that roost.

pss. don't worry, I got mine. I did one of those "expert opinion" calls.. they paid me 300$ to ask my opinion (by an anonymous PE firm client) about whether to buy 21C out of debt. I told them I'd write the check myself, but only if I could have operational control... lol..
Bro, hopefully you’re charging more than $300/hour for those. #750orGTFO

Members don't see this ad :)
GenesisCare, a provider of cancer-care services backed by KKR, is preparing to file for bankruptcy within days, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Australia-based company, which also operates in the U.S. and Europe, is in talks to receive roughly $200 million in new financing to see it through bankruptcy, the people said. GenesisCare is advised by lawyers from Kirkland & Ellis. China Resources Group is also an owner of the company. Representatives for GenesisCare, Kirkland and KKR didn’t respond to inquiries seeking comment. China Resources Group couldn’t be reached.

GenesisCare has been struggling under a debt load in part stemming from its $1.5 billion acquisition of 21st Century Oncology in 2020. Healthcare service provider 21st Century Oncology filed for bankruptcy in 2017, blaming changes in insurance reimbursement practices in addition to government penalties and settlements. It emerged from chapter 11 in 2019.
Since October, S&P Global has cut GenesisCare’s credit ratings twice, each time pushing it one notch deeper into distressed territory, raising expectations that the company would default.

The ratings company cited rising borrowing costs, sluggish recovery in patient volumes and a slower recovery in the U.S. for the downgrades. GenesisCare had $154 million in cash as of September, but its liquidity has been getting worse since then, according to S&P Global.

Private-equity firms have been facing increasing challenges in refinancing portfolio companies’ debts as interest rates rise and financing has become more difficult to access in recent months.

Envision Healthcare, another KKR-backed healthcare provider, filed for chapter 11 earlier this month. The private-equity firm has written off its $3.5 billion investment in the physician-staffing company it acquired in 2018, The Wall Street Journal has reported.
“Sluggish recovery in patient volumes”

So goes GenesisCare, so goes American radiation oncology. If you don’t understand that, you think a “standard error of the mean” is mistakes made by nasty people.

“Sluggish recovery in patient volumes”

So goes GenesisCare, so goes American radiation oncology. If you don’t understand that, you think a “standard error of the mean” is mistakes made by nasty people.
I mean sure… but the exploding cost of credit is likely the main culprit in this case

I mean sure… but the exploding cost of credit is likely the main culprit in this case
True, and their debt load. Nevertheless, over the past 10 years, profit and patients are being funneled to the large systems.

Last edited:
Yea, I blame the business model. They had plenty of years and opportunities to make it into a successful business, even if the only purpose was to make money… which it was!

If crocs can make money selling ugly shoes, I’m sure they could have found better ways to manage their business.

Yea, I blame the business model. They had plenty of years and opportunities to make it into a successful business, even if the only purpose was to make money… which it was!

If crocs can make money selling ugly shoes, I’m sure they could have found better ways to manage their business.
21c was basically farked after over they overpaid for the oncure acquisition during the great housing bubble imo. Basically payment cuts and hypofx/SBRT exploded the decade after that. So they paid too much for an asset (lots of centers with old ass equipment) and had to put in capital during a time where fractions/reimbursement kept going down Wasn't priced in their acquisition I'm sure. Probably propagated by GC when they took over.

This probably has some relevant stuff if anyone can get access:

21c was basically farked after over they overpaid for the oncure acquisition during the great housing bubble imo. Basically payment cuts and hypofx/SBRT exploded the decade after that. So they paid too much for an asset (lots of centers with old ass equipment) and had to put in capital during a time where fractions/reimbursement kept going down Wasn't priced in their acquisition I'm sure. Probably propagated by GC when they took over.

This probably has some relevant stuff if anyone can get access:

They and subsequent capital infusers bought high and now have to sell low. Too bad they didn’t constantly read SDN through the years and thus didn’t have a fulsome knowledge of the US rad onc marketplace.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I can’t imagine this is the full story.

Their centers are so busy.

Something else is up

Variable rate debt is destroying lots of highly leveraged businesses right now. The rise in interest rates was one of the highest in American history. Going from 2-3% interest debt to 7-8% is quite a shock.

Reactions: 7 users
how does this affect wally “slip out the back door” curran? He got the genesis bag too!

Reactions: 3 users

Something else is up
I think @madchemist89 is on to it. Floating rate debt. Killing a lot of real estate syndicates too. Hopefully no one invested in the bad ones recently. The reimbursement climate and fractionation isn't helping either though

Last edited:
GL doesn't pay much above that rate and if you are getting 900/hr for your opinion.. Good for you.
I think 500-600 is reasonable/realistic for those kind of calls per hour. Shot the breeze with a hydrogel knockoff vendor and got $500 for 55 mins.

But for 21c/Genesis, id demand extra lol

Something else is up
Not the full story. They’re busier than you and I! But they’re not as busy as they used to be (“patient-fractions,” a unit like man-hours), and due to a series of unfortunate events… and poor decisions… had such thin margins that slight revenue downturns were not absorbable.

Not the full story. They’re busier than you and I! But they’re not as busy as they used to be (“patient-fractions,” a unit like man-hours), and due to a series of unfortunate events… and poor decisions… had such thin margins that slight revenue downturns were not absorbable.
Don’t forget a bunch of lawsuits!

In an efficient market, capital allocators who get caught with their pants down by not anticipating obvious trends such as increased competition from academic medical center satellites, reduced reimbursement to freestanding centers, hypofractionation and rising interest rates should be ruthlessly punished. Thus the reward for risk taking. Instead we have created a situation that these well-compensated "geniuses" were able to structure their finances in such a way that they enrich themselves while running the company into the ground really no different than Silicon Valley Bank. But what value are they adding buy creating a heads I win, tails you lose scenario.

The boomers took the bag at high EBITA multiples and these enterprises are no longer physician owned or operated with the predictable complications and lack of ownership opportunity for future generations of physicians.

Reactions: 11 users
The boomers took the bag at high EBITA multiples and these enterprises are no longer physician owned or operated with the predictable complications and lack of ownership opportunity for future generations of physicians.
Without meaningful regulation, markets consolidate. Existing bankruptcy laws typically protect the rich and bankruptcy itself may be a strategy to protect against lawsuits. (See Purdue Pharma).

Not sure if bankruptcy here is such a strategy.

Somewhere, the social contract disintegrated even within class structures. Used to be, a doc with a good practice was looking to pass it on to another doc (sometimes their child, but often not). This was particularly the case in smaller towns where docs were prominent in the community and many felt an obligation to provide continuity of care, while at the same time valuing physician ownership. Now, goal seems to be to maximize generational wealth wherever possible.

FL it's own animal as well. This isn't upstate NY.

Reactions: 4 users
Without meaningful regulation, markets consolidate. Existing bankruptcy laws typically protect the rich and bankruptcy itself may be a strategy to protect against lawsuits. (See Purdue Pharma).

Not sure if bankruptcy here is such a strategy.

Somewhere, the social contract disintegrated even within class structures. Used to be, a doc with a good practice was looking to pass it on to another doc (sometimes their child, but often not). This was particularly the case in smaller towns where docs were prominent in the community and many felt an obligation to provide continuity of care, while at the same time valuing physician ownership. Now, goal seems to be to maximize generational wealth wherever possible.

FL it's own animal as well. This isn't upstate NY.
I get the sense that the founders of 21C were able to take a f-load of money out of the company and saddled it with huge debt from expansion. They paid something like a 100 million just for south florida oncology practices alone. Company would be fine if someone takes on their debt at .10/dollar

Last edited:
I will note that the two big bankruptcies in the PE health care space have been in the specialties at the bottom of the match lately (ER and Rad Onc). Reflection of terrible management/greed form the gate keepers of these specialties or just coincidence?

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Variable rate debt is destroying lots of highly leveraged businesses right now. The rise in interest rates was one of the highest in American history. Going from 2-3% interest debt to 7-8% is quite a shock.
This is happening all over the place. Businesses that took on a lot of debt when borrowing was essentially free, are now really stressed in a higher interest rate environment. The winners and losers will get sorted out pretty quick.

"It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who has been swimming naked" - The Oracle of Omaha

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Aaaaannnnddd its time for another GL call.. I'll be happy to take 300$ to chitty chat about why GC failed.
After BK #2 it'll be a bargain if you can acquire it for 10cents on the dollar and get true radonc business minded folks running it.

Aaaaannnnddd its time for another GL call.. I'll be happy to take 300$ to chitty chat about why GC failed.
After BK #2 it'll be a bargain if you can acquire it for 10cents on the dollar and get true radonc business minded folks running it.
Did you up the rate? SDN bros gotta stick together. ;)

I will note that the two big bankruptcies in the PE health care space have been in the specialties at the bottom of the match lately (ER and Rad Onc). Reflection of terrible management/greed form the gate keepers of these specialties or just coincidence?

There’s a 45 min youtube video on GenesisCare from 2022 by corporate restructuring people.

They discuss having to ‘materially incentivize’ their oncologists if they want to retain and fix their USA business.

You don’t say! GenesisCare/21co sold out their practices to business sharks and now their physicians ain’t loyal, and want to get paid to stay on a sinking ship. I wonder why.

Reactions: 3 users
There’s a 45 min youtube video on GenesisCare from 2022 by corporate restructuring people.

They discuss having to ‘materially incentivize’ their oncologists if they want to retain and fix their USA business.

You don’t say! GenesisCare/21co sold out their practices to business sharks and now their physicians ain’t loyal, and want to get paid to stay on a sinking ship. I wonder why.
21co founders basically went into business to compete against them in FL several years ago (advocate radiation oncology).

They were happy to use noncompetes to screw new grads back in the day but successfully got out of them more recently after they left 21c and wanted to compete with the practices they had just sold out of

Last edited:
21C: Never liked them. The few guys at the top preached equitable for all while their eyes were FULL of dishonesty and greed.

I saw it loud and clear. Genesis hustlers weren't any better. Let their avarice drown them.

Materially Incentivize?

"You mean, like, pay them?"

GenesisCare is 1/3 owned by physicians. Their shares are worth 85% less as of bankruptcy. If GenesisCare wants to retain their physicians, they need to restore their equity loss.

Or, they can sell and go back to their Australia cardiology business, which is actually profitable. Except, they sold their cardiology business for 5 times EBITDA 🤦🏻‍♂️

If GenesisCare wants to retain their physicians
Yeah, they don't. I don't think this what "materially incentivize" means for KKR.

KKR is what matters and they may be able to offload debt through the bankruptcy process.

They could potentially even re-purchase GenesiCare at auction....then staff with new grads on the radonc side.

But, they probably just want to lose the debt as there are better deals out there.

Reactions: 2 users
Tiny bit I know about PE is that they need a 15%-20% annual return to justify their investment, somewhat more than public equities. Can someone explain to me how rad onc clinics, that also have to subsidize their referral base as GenesisCare does, are able to generate a 15-20% annual return in a saturated market?

Tiny bit I know about PE is that they need a 15%-20% annual return to justify their investment, somewhat more than public equities. Can someone explain to me how rad onc clinics, that also have to subsidize their referral base as GenesisCare does, are able to generate a 15-20% annual return in a saturated market?
1+1=3

Tiny bit I know about PE is that they need a 15%-20% annual return to justify their investment, somewhat more than public equities
Think about the absurdity of this.

If you qualify as a "very high net worth" individual, and have opportunities for PE investment, the combination of culture, regulation and massive liquidity (which goes directly to sellers to give PE a great deal always; the rich on paper all ultimately need cash) means that you are working in a ridiculously high yield, low risk environment.

The docs who sold got a great deal (massive cash infusion and could really GAF going forward). The docs left working in the PE owned firm don't have a chance. It doesn't matter how well they run things or how hard they work. At some point, bankruptcy is likely a better deal for the PE firm.

I did not realize how many radoncs work for GenesisCare. It's a big deal.

Reactions: 8 users