Nerves before clinics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

langiyo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I’m a third year on the brink of clinics at UIUC. Everyone in my class has started their clinics and I’ve unfortunately got assigned an off block right at the start which leaves me at home waiting for it to be over and for my clinics to start while everyone else has already gone and they are all complaining about. I don’t know why because usually I don’t really work myself up like this but currently I’m a bundle of nerves cause the anticipation is making things worse. I’ve honestly never been more anxious anytime in my life it just feels yucky. Im always logical about things so this is new feeling, I guess I’m just worried that I’ll get nervous I’m front of a client and flub up. Is this how you guys felt before clinics? Does it get better?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody!

I’m a third year on the brink of clinics at UIUC. Everyone in my class has started their clinics and I’ve unfortunately got assigned an off block right at the start which leaves me at home waiting for it to be over and for my clinics to start while everyone else has already gone and they are all complaining about. I don’t know why because usually I don’t really work myself up like this but currently I’m a bundle of nerves cause the anticipation is making things worse. I’ve honestly never been more anxious anytime in my life it just feels yucky. Im always logical about things so this is new feeling, I guess I’m just worried that I’ll get nervous I’m front of a client and flub up. Is this how you guys felt before clinics? Does it get better?
Uhhh I'm about to graduate and I still get tongue tied in front of clients occasionally. It happens to residents and clinicians too. The good news is that you won't really be doing the real client communications for a while, 4th years mostly just get a history, go over paperwork (which you'll have in your hand, so can refer to it the whole time), and give phone updates for inpatients. house officers/clinicians are the ones that go into detail with pathophys of conditions, surgical options, etc. If a client is particularly difficult, they will usually take on more of the routine communications too. If you're not comfortable with certain things, just say so. You should definitely be getting better at things over time, but no one expects you to be a pro at all things vet med as a fourth year, let alone someone new to clinics.

The nerves are completely normal. And for those of your classmates complaining, tell them they are only two days in and need to stop whining :p;) (I say that in jest because it seems your class always is complaining, lol).

Reactions: 1 users
You will be fine. Participate is my recommendation. I am wrong plenty, but I learn more when I voice my thoughts, and I learn the most actually when I was wrong so I can rework my thought process. I am right here and there too, so it feels like I did learn some things so the imposter syndrome isn't as bad. Double check your work to make sure you didn't make math mistakes. The usual. Clinics can be enjoyable as long as you keep the right attitude. There are plenty of things that can be tedious and annoying that will make you grumble because you feel like it is not something you will actually be doing in practice, but a positive attitude is something to work hard for. It is easy to get buried in anger and fear, but the more you train yourself to let go of things and just enjoy the moment, the healthier you will be, both in clinics and beyond. :)

Plus, be a good rotation mate. Makes all the difference when everyone helps each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input and the helpful tips guys! It makes me feel better to know that these nerves are normal and that I will adjust eventually! It’s just a big jump into the unknown!

No need to be nervous about talking to clients. Just be pleasant. If you don’t know something, the client doesn’t care, just say that you don’t know but you’ll relay the question to the clinician. Don’t get all flustered and make **** up. EVER. Don’t ever promise anything to clients that you’re not 100% sure you can deliver, or have permission to promise. Don’t be over chatty and don’t let the client ramble on and on if the clinician is waiting for you to get that history. Be ready to say, “ok, I’m going to stop you right there as we have limited time, and I need to make sure you and your pet have quality time to spend with the doctor. I just need you to answer these 2 questions for me so I can let the dr know.” It’s really not that hard!

Reactions: 1 user
If you don’t know something, the client doesn’t care
I don't feel this bit is always true, but when you get the occasional difficult client it's not a reflection of you or your abilities, and please remember this. Some people are just difficult.

I don't feel this bit is always true, but when you get the occasional difficult client it's not a reflection of you or your abilities, and please remember this. Some people are just difficult.
I think making sure explaining the teaching aspect of the hospital dynamic up front at least cuts down on some of the frustrations that can happen with clients who didn't know what to expect. It's part of our day 1 to greet the client and explain this and I feel like I only had one or two clients that were disgruntled during the process.

I think making sure explaining the teaching aspect of the hospital dynamic up front at least cuts down on some of the frustrations that can happen with clients who didn't know what to expect. It's part of our day 1 to greet the client and explain this and I feel like I only had one or two clients that were disgruntled during the process.
I'm more referring to the occasional clients you get who scoff or say 'Really? And you're about to graduate?' when you say you don't know something.

I'm more referring to the occasional clients you get who scoff or say 'Really? And you're about to graduate?' when you say you don't know something.
hmmm. Can't say I had any of those. But based on talking with people, I was one that had pretty great clients overall, so guess it is definitely luck dependent.

hmmm. Can't say I had any of those. But based on talking with people, I was one that had pretty great clients overall, so guess it is definitely luck dependent.
I've definitely had a lot of great clients that certainly outnumber the difficult ones. I had a real doozy on equine, and it seems people coming through our ER here are either nice or terrible. Not much in between.

I am really with Minnerbelle here about not making stuff up, or conveying stuff you're not totally sure about. In a handful of cases I've been a bit clueless about, I've let the owners know that I've got a cadre of experienced doctors backing me up, and that I'm just as interested and invested in finding out what's causing their animal problems. And just being a good communicator in exam rooms. Make eye contact, have open body language, etc to let them know they've got your full attention

Reactions: 1 user
That’s just someone being an dingus who feels the need to pick on the poor little vet student that they feel they shouldn’t have to deal with. They don’t actually care that you don’t know. They’re just being rude. They’re usually the same dinguses who treat my techs and receptionists like ****, and give them the same attitude.

The good thing is, as a student, they’re not really too much of your problem. Don’t take it personally, get yourself out of there as soon as you can, and let the clinician know that the client is being an abusive dingus.

One of the 4th years at my school posted this earlier this week and I loved it

Congratulations on finishing the longest three years of your life in a classroom. Great news, the last year of vet school is the best.
It really only requires two main things to be successful your clinical year:
1. Work hard
2. Have a positive attitude
You'll be clumsy and nervous. You won't always know the answer in rounds. Or have the time to read that article. Or know how to use that monitor or syringe pump. That's okay. You're there to learn and you pay a lot of money to do so. Take advantage of the time you get surrounded by experts in their field - clinicians and technicians alike. Soak up all you can.
Go outside when you can. Exercise when you can. Eat healthy when you can. Sleep enough when you can. When you can't, give yourself some grace and do what you need to to get through (aka go to Chickfila and then bed).
There will be long and trying days. Maintain perspective.
The chance for a higher education and the opportunity to be a doctor is a PRIVILEGE. Nobody is making you do this. Remember that when you start to feel like you don't want to be there anymore, there's about 900 other applicants that would've loved to be in your shoes.
If a clinician or technician gives you the opportunity to do a procedure, DO IT. Even if you're terrified. They won't let you fail ... too miserably.
Thank every patient for teaching you something. Fiercely advocate for patient welfare and never apologize for it.
Don't judge referring veterinarians. You don't know their struggle and the resources that they have or lack there of. (Unless there are human hands in their radiographs...then you can judge them).
Show up on time.
Be there for your classmates. Help them. Because you will most certainly need their help along the way.
Try not to take things too personally.
There will come a day when you’ll have better hours and make a living. Today is not that day. Grin and bear it.
You're never too important to be nice.
Don't have expectations about when you can go home, and you won't be disappointed.
You have something to learn from everyone.
You have what it takes.
Stay caffeinated and motivated.
Have fun.
We have the coolest job in the world and there's little you could do to convince me otherwise.

Reactions: 6 users