Need help with Research!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be an incoming freshman with an associate's degree, so I feel like I need to step up my game to get into medical school. Since my university requires a completion of prerequisites to participate in undergraduate research for academic credit, I could wait to do research for the following year and just be really active in community service, etc. If I do decide to do research this year, I wouldn't get any academic credit. Also, if I were to find a professor who was willing to allow me to proceed without any academic credit, what kind of research topic should I go into? I'm trying to brainstorm topics and ideas before I email these professors and I'm curious as to what anyone else has done during their undergrad career so it may possibly help form any ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Research within your major is always a safe bet. It'll help you become immersed in the subject, and the stuff you learn in class and in the lab may have crossover. I studied neuroscience and I did stroke research. If you want ideas for potential research, you might want to visit your major department's faculty page and see what they are doing.

Do you have any laboratory skills? If so, you might find an investigator who would be happy to have use those skills and help you learn new ones.

It also makes sense to concentrate on community service this year and then take research for credit the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any laboratory skills? If so, you might find an investigator who would be happy to have use those skills and help you learn new ones.

It also makes sense to concentrate on community service this year and then take research for credit the next year.
My only concern is that I won't have enough research to make myself competitive for medical schools. I plan to take an extra year to graduate so that I have a bit more time to finish my major and be more active in community service and research. I'm not too worried about service, but the only "research" experience that I've had was interning for a research and development company this past school year. I don't know if medical schools will frown on the idea that I did an internship for a year, didn't do research this upcoming year, and then proceeded to participate in research the following year. Or am I overreacting? Also, how many years of research is sufficient for medical school?

My only concern is that I won't have enough research to make myself competitive for medical schools. I plan to take an extra year to graduate so that I have a bit more time to finish my major and be more active in community service and research. I'm not too worried about service, but the only "research" experience that I've had was interning for a research and development company this past school year. I don't know if medical schools will frown on the idea that I did an internship for a year, didn't do research this upcoming year, and then proceeded to participate in research the following year. Or am I overreacting? Also, how many years of research is sufficient for medical school?

Chill. You'll be fine. Medicine is based on evidence that is tested through the scientific method. Schools want applicants who have some familiarity with those efforts, know that there is uncertainty, there are errors and inconclusive evidence, etc inherent in the process. That's what you should be taking away from the effort. Being in R&D for a year is great and if opportunities at school don't present themselves until your second year, you can explain that if asked at an interview but it is likely that there will be far more interesting things to talk about than "why didn't you...".

@modernfam There is no formula to medical school and extracurriculars. Do things you are passionate about and love to do, dont just get into the mindset of doing things because you think they will "impress an adcom" do things you like and bring that passion with you to interviews, that will impress an adcom. I started a cooking club, definitely not a cookie cut extracurricular. Just go with the flow and do things you love.

Reactions: 1 user