Name and Credentials on White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
It is peculiar how, for many, degrees like an MHA or MPH are terminal degrees, but are negated in the realm of medicine as being gap years and nothing more. It is completely unwarranted.

True. No disrespect to those degrees.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a PhD, and during my time as a medical student I never even thought about displaying it, either on a name tag or on a white coat. Makes you a tool and paints a target on your back.

Once I start residency I'll put it on my IDs though, next to the MD. It feels weird to display one terminal degree and pretend the other didn't exist.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone's caring a little too much about this. The only time that anyone looks at my white coat is when I say/ask something clearly incompetent and they are just double checking that I'm not a real doctor.

Do whatever you want. I've gone 3 years without anyone even noticing that I don't have my school's seal embroidered on my coat.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually embroider my name followed with MS-1+. Every year I update the number. The "+" is because we learn OMM as well.

I earned that damn +.

Reactions: 11 users
I actually embroider my name followed with MS-1+. Every year I update the number. The "+" is because we learn OMM as well.

I earned that damn +.
Will it read MD+++ after you are done?

I think everyone's caring a little too much about this. The only time that anyone looks at my white coat is when I say/ask something clearly incompetent and they are just double checking that I'm not a real doctor.

Do whatever you want. I've gone 3 years without anyone even noticing that I don't have my school's seal embroidered on my coat.

Shoot, if this is the case, they're going to be looking at my white coat daily and asking how I even got accepted to medical school.

This is sort of what I am suggesting about how these degrees are pushed to the side in the heirarchy of medicine. The MPH is a 42 credit hour master's degree. As well, the MHA is at least a 36-40 credit hour degree. These are hardly 1 year, "just something to put down on my application" degrees. Most SMP's are what, 24-30 credit hours? Certainly, each is entitled to his or her own opinion.
One-Year MPH Program | MPH@GW

1yr online. It's certainly not fingerpainting but it's not a nobel prize either.

One-Year MPH Program | MPH@GW

1yr online. It's certainly not fingerpainting but it's not a nobel prize either.
Shew wee, 45 credit hours in one year is insane. I can't imagine trying to coordinate data acquisition and analysis for a thesis in that program.

Most physicians won't care about a MPH degree TBH because they know the degree can be obtained 'easily'. There is a student in my class who has a MPH from a top program (top 10) and he told us that our 7 hours biostats class was like 1 1/2 semester of his MPH degree (not sure how true is that TBH).

Our med school almost everyone had their coat embroidered and we had a name tag on the one white coat we were given. No one had titles after their name as students. We had a different color of names than the residents or attendings

I have a PhD, and during my time as a medical student I never even thought about displaying it, either on a name tag or on a white coat. Makes you a tool and paints a target on your back.

Once I start residency I'll put it on my IDs though, next to the MD. It feels weird to display one terminal degree and pretend the other didn't exist.

1200x600.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
its standard to have ur name on your white coat as a medical student.

it would be nice to embrodider all the redudant nursing degrees tho. lol.

I apologize if this question has been asked before. But, what is the consensus on having your name embroidered and initials from a graduate degree embroidered on your white coat as a medical student?
At my medical school, all new students receive short white coats with the full name of the medical school embroidered thereon at their white coat ceremony. I have not seen any of them with personal "name-embroidered-and-degree" white coats although some of them have already earned graduate degrees before beginning medical school (e.g., PhD, MPH, JD, DVM, MPH, etc.).

Pursuant to law and policy, we are required to wear an official ID name badge on our lab coats or somewhere on our scrubs.

All identification badges are color-coded and allow immediate access to different departments of the AMC (for which we are authorized access), via an embedded strip. However, the computer software that creates the AMC name badges can only list one degree for each individual. So, if an individual has earned more than one degree (e.g., MD-PhD), only one degree is printed on the color-coded identification badge, and it's printed next to their name.

Last edited:
Additionally, just in case this applies...do not be the tool that gets his/her name embroidered while your class, specifically, uses name clips and not embroidery. People attempt to make up "totally reasonable" excuses for why they did so, but everybody can see right through it so damn easily that a complimentary X-ray ejects directly from their as*.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Meh, our class is about 50/50. A lot of the girls went with embroidery because the name tags can stick off at awkward angles around the breast.
The only thing that bugs me is that some of the MSTPs chose to have that embroidered on their white coats, as if it sets them apart specially during our first few years.

Meh, our class is about 50/50. A lot of the girls went with embroidery because the name tags can stick off at awkward angles around the breast.
The only thing that bugs me is that some of the MSTPs chose to have that embroidered on their white coats, as if it sets them apart specially during our first few years.

Hah, I've never seen MSTP embroidered before.

Hah, I've never seen MSTP embroidered before.

I can actually only think of one who has it, but he's the sort to make derogatory comments about those who are 'just' MDs anyway, so perhaps that's why I noticed it and it bugs me so much.

But yeah, his white coat reads, essentially: "William Hunting, MSTP"
Because god forbid he be mistaken for one of us plebs.

Reactions: 3 users
Most physicians won't care about a MPH degree TBH because they know the degree can be obtained 'easily'. There is a student in my class who has a MPH from a top program (top 10) and he told us that our 7 hours biostats class was like 1 1/2 semester of his MPH degree (not sure how true is that TBH).

It's not true at all. The epi/biostats taught iin med school is a joke and is essentially equivalent to the two most basic biostats and epi courses one would take minus any of the depth.

I refused to get my name embroidered on my coat. Like I want to make it that easy for random folks to identify me!

It's not true at all. The epi/biostats taught iin med school is a joke and is essentially equivalent to the two most basic biostats and epi courses one would take minus any of the depth.

My undergrad was in engineering and honestly, I found some of the upper level statistics / biostatistics courses to be more difficult than calculus IV (diff. equations)

I have a BS in Biology and not a BA is okay to display my superiority on my white coat?

Reactions: 4 users
My undergrad was in engineering and honestly, I found some of the upper level statistics / biostatistics courses to be more difficult than calculus IV (diff. equations)
True... Class like Stochastic Model for Computer Science is hell compare to Calc I/II/III or diff. equations.

Last edited:
Most schools have set guidelines for this, when in doubt, ask. Most schools leave them off. You're all medical students, all equal, leave it at that.

realities:
1. you probably won't wear the white coat in practice that often, so it doesn't matter. by the time you're actually wearing it in front of patients, your other graduate degree(s) will be so far down your list of concerns it's not even funny.
2. most of the time your medical degree will trump whatever other degrees you have, sooooooo...no point.
3. don't be that person.
4. don't be that person.
5. don't be that person.

Last edited:

If we're being honest, a lot of the MPH/Epi courses for biostats are often pretty watered down unless they're identical to courses taught for an actual biostatistics degree, and there's no way anything taught in med school even comes close to the "lite" course work you can find in Epi/MPH programs. This is made pretty clear when graduate schools note that there are significant differences in rigor and expectations between the MPH program biostats courses and the MS biostatistics coursework (which makes sense). I've felt that at least 2 semesters of statistics in undergrad should be a prereq for medical school given the necessity of research in medical school and beyond. It's baffling how they say we're supposed to be up to date on latest research yet they don't really teach it nor do they make it a prereq.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most school shave set guidelines for this, when in doubt, ask. Most schools leave them off. You're all medical students, all equal, leave it at that.

realities:
1. you probably won't wear the white coat in practice that often, so it doesn't matter. by the time you're actually wearing it in front of patients, your other graduate degree(s) will be so far down your list of concerns it's not even funny.
2. most of the time your medical degree will trump whatever other degrees you have, sooooooo...no point.
3. don't be that person.
4. don't be that person.
5. don't be that person.

Agreed. I hated my white coat so much that in residency I would actually go out of my way to not wear it...I pushed it, trying to get away with not wearing it at grand rounds etc. I succeeded probably 90% of the time. Now I only wear it in clinic to differentiate me from my cast techs --we are all in scrubs. :)

Shew wee, 45 credit hours in one year is insane. I can't imagine trying to coordinate data acquisition and analysis for a thesis in that program.
Lol you can get the degree in zero (additional) years. There are combined MD/MPH four year degree programs. You can crank most of the MPH out the summer between M1 and M2, when other med students are doing research or running a clinic in Africa or whatever it is they do. That's why many MDs treat the MPH as a small bump on the road and not a second terminal degree.

I have no idea what epi/biostats at a master level is... I was just repeating what I heard from a classmate with a MPH from a good school. I guess he was wrong!

One has to wonder why we spend so much time on BS stuff in med school, but not enough time in something so important like biostats...

I have no idea what epi/biostats at a master level is... I was just repeating what I heard from a classmate with a MPH from a good school. I guess he was wrong!

One has to wonder why we spend so much time on BS stuff in med school, but not enough time in something so important like biostats...
I get the feeling, from interactions and what some people say, that they don't actually see it as important. In cases where they think it's important to learn, they often underestimate or disregard what it means to have proper qualifications to teach it (they think anyone who "took a stats course during my masters" or "is really good with SPSS" is qualified) and they treat it as nothing more than a set of calculations and button clicks. People seem to view statistics in the same way they view mathematics as just number crunching, yet that idea couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can actually only think of one who has it, but he's the sort to make derogatory comments about those who are 'just' MDs anyway, so perhaps that's why I noticed it and it bugs me so much.

Wow, not even a degree and he embroidered it. I hope he's gotten reamed for that at least once.

Wow, not even a degree and he embroidered it. I hope he's gotten reamed for that at least once.

He's still got like 5yrs before he sets foot in the hospital, so he's got time to get attached before he finds out whether anyone with seniority finds it obnoxious. :/

Yeesh....

Will it read MD+++ after you are done?

So your coat eventually is going to say "Libertyyne MS 1 2 3 4"

I am going to write strider_91 Bachelor of Arts ....not even the abbreviation. I didn't sit in a circle talking about social issues and discussing Nietzsche not to show that degree off : D

So... It's not acceptable?? I was looking forward to my white coat having ____________, MD, MT, EMT-B

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I've seen the extra degrees on loan coats (after MD/DO) so that's fine. Including your MS on your short white coat is odd/tacky; including a PhD is that plus confusing, since patients could get confused if you're actually their doctor or not.

I refused to get my name embroidered on my coat. Like I want to make it that easy for random folks to identify me!

You legally have to wear a badge, so no way around being identifiable for better or worse.

I agree with previous posts about the PhD. I don't want it on my coat or badge until I've obtained an accompanying MD, because

1. It might confuse patients

2. In clinical education and training, I am at the exact same level as someone that just completed their undergrad, and I have no interest in conveying in any way that I believe my position to be otherwise. I don't.

I don't know if that actually counts.
There's a guy like this at my school. He has gotten Masters, MBA, JD and god knows what else from some of the worst schools. Honestly, I feel it cheapens whatever legitimate degree you obtained.

Pretty sure mine is wrinkled up in the trunk of my car, next to the jumper cables.
lol I spilled coffee all over mine within the first week. So now I have a huge coffee stain right in the front. I was gonna bleach it, but that's a lot of effort so I think I will just hold off three years until I get a new coat.

Our white coats in med school didn't have our names on them. I do remember "that guy" from my class who monogrammed his with "ThatGuy, PhD" and then would introduce himself as Dr. ThatGuy to patients. I believe he got a talking to after patients started referring to "Dr. ThatGuy", but felt he was being treated unfairly by being told not to use his title when introducing himself to patients or consultants on the phone.

Our white coats in med school didn't have our names on them. I do remember "that guy" from my class who monogrammed his with "ThatGuy, PhD" and then would introduce himself as Dr. ThatGuy to patients. I believe he got a talking to after patients started referring to "Dr. ThatGuy", but felt he was being treated unfairly by being told not to use his title when introducing himself to patients or consultants on the phone.

Irreverence can be a very healthy thing, but I think it generally belongs outside of patient care, which IMHO deserves a great deal of reverence...

I've seen the extra degrees on loan coats (after MD/DO) so that's fine. Including your MS on your short white coat is odd/tacky; including a PhD is that plus confusing, since patients could get confused if you're actually their doctor or not.

You legally have to wear a badge, so no way around being identifiable for better or worse.

It is harder for someone to sneak a glance at a small badge than at a large embroidered name on my chest. I don't mind being identifiable. I don't want people who absolutely don't know me and haven't ever had a single interaction with me to call me by name as though we've been properly introduced.

I hate it when I see someone do that to someone in a store or restaurant. *Surreptitious glance at clerk's chest* "Excuse me, Lisa, right? Great. I want to return this item that I've clearly used and broken, and I don't have the receipt, but I'm exerting social dominance over you by calling you by your first name even though you don't yet know mine." Well, that isn't what they say, but that is what they convey through their behavior. (Then again, it is actually pretty nice to be in line behind one of those people, because when I show up and talk to the person as though they were a fellow human being and not just a vending machine for whatever service I'm seeking... they end up absolutely bending over backward to help me.)

I'm old fashioned. I like to introduce myself to people and to politely ask their names when I meet them. I don't have a problem with being identifiable, especially in sensitive environments where security matters. But I'm definitely not going to pay extra for my coats to make it easier for people to short-cut around having a pleasant introductory conversation with me.