Name and Credentials on White Coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Grabow

Please allow me to reroute your plumbing
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this question has been asked before. But, what is the consensus on having your name embroidered and initials from a graduate degree embroidered on your white coat as a medical student?

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize if this question has been asked before. But, what is the consensus on having your name embroidered and initials from a graduate degree embroidered on your white coat as a medical student?

A lot of us have our name embroidered, but having "MPH" or "JD" behind it would make you seem like a pretty huge tool.

Reactions: 35 users
Don't. Nobody cares. You are at the bottom of the ladder and it would seem like you are trying to be rung above the rest of your peers. Why add in anything that would make the residents think negatively of you? It does nothing to expand your role and none of those degrees matter without the MD/DO.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Well, guess that answers that question. Thank you for the input!

Reactions: 1 user
Would this apply to a PhD as well? I've seen some MD/PhDs who have "First Name Last Name, MD, PhD" on their coats. Given I've seen more than one around my school, I was under the impression that it was standard, at least at these hospitals.
That's fine AS A RESIDENT.

The OP was asking about putting it on their coat as a medical student; you will be harshly judged doing it without the medical degree.

Reactions: 16 users
Personally, I wouldn't care, but I'm the type of person who just wants to go in, do their work, and not bother myself with trivial workplace nonsense that doesn't matter.

That being said, the above is only my personal feelings about it. As far as my advice considering how I think other people would feel about it: just don't do it. Medicine is a conservative culture with a hierarchy. If you're seen as trying to disturb the typical hierarchy in any way, your superiors will think you are being inappropriate and your equals will think you're being a jerk.

My rule throughout most of med school, which I think works equally well for considering medical tests/treatment as it does for social interactions, was to stop and ask myself "what is the point of this? What benefit does this give me?" If the answer was "it is of virtually no benefit" I wouldn't suggest it. This is such a scenario. It risks pissing people off and there's no realistic benefit to doing it.

Reactions: 2 users
I want to see someone embroider their BSN onto the short coat.

Reactions: 18 users
It tends to make you stand out in a bad way, as you become a target for attendings that try to pick apart your ego.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. My coat reads MB (master barber), BA, BS, MS, CPR, AED, First Aid

Reactions: 34 users
Additionally, just in case this applies...do not be the tool that gets his/her name embroidered while your class, specifically, uses name clips and not embroidery. People attempt to make up "totally reasonable" excuses for why they did so, but everybody can see right through it so damn easily that a complimentary X-ray ejects directly from their as*.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I have Narcan Certified embroidered on mine

Reactions: 5 users
Additionally, just in case this applies...do not be the tool that gets his/her name embroidered while your class, specifically, uses name clips and not embroidery. People attempt to make up "totally reasonable" excuses for why they did so, but everybody can see right through it so damn easily that a complimentary X-ray ejects directly from their as*.

I get what youre saying, but I kinda disagree with this. Our school gave us magnetic name tags instead of embroidering our white coats, and the name tags are so freaking annoying. They move around a ton and end up crooked, fall off and get lost easily, and you have to take them off to wash the coat which is a pita. So a bunch of my classmates got their names embroidered. I don't really think having your name embroidered is pretentious in this situation and it's totally reasonable.

I get what youre saying, but I kinda disagree with this. Our school gave us magnetic name tags instead of embroidering our white coats, and the name tags are so freaking annoying. They move around a ton and end up crooked, fall off and get lost easily, and you have to take them off to wash the coat which is a pita. So a bunch of my classmates got their names embroidered. I don't really think having your name embroidered is pretentious in this situation and it's totally reasonable.
Everyone in my class lost their name tags or threw them away. There's really no need for them. If I saw any of my classmates with an embroidered white coat, I would definitely give them a look.

Reactions: 3 users
One works damn hard for that PhD, so you have the right to show it off.

Would this apply to a PhD as well? I've seen some MD/PhDs who have "First Name Last Name, MD, PhD" on their coats. Given I've seen more than one around my school, I was under the impression that it was standard, at least at these hospitals.

Solutions include new name tags, or simply clipping your ID to the pocket, which is actually extremely common and sufficient. Additional solutions include a school choosing to do embroidery from the get-go.

In the end, it really is a "who gives a ****?" topic. However, better to understand the lag one may get and how it influences their interactions/perceived opinions which, contrary to the beliefs of some free-spirited snowflakes, does actually matter in professional fields.

Last edited:
Indeed.

Also, if the OP gets PhD embroidered on their coat, they should insist that everybody call them "doctor" when it's worn.

Everyone in my class lost their name tags or threw them away. There's really no need for them. If I saw any of my classmates with an embroidered white coat, I would definitely give them a look.

Solutions include new name tags, or simply clipping your ID to the pocket, which is actually extremely common and sufficient. Additional solutions include a school choosing to do embroidery from the get-go.

In the end, it really is a "who gives a ****?" topic. However, better to understand the lag one may get and how it influences their interactions/perceived opinions which, contrary to the beliefs of some free-spirited snowflakes, does actually matter in professional fields.

I guess it depends on the institutional norms like goodwill mentioned. It's not seen as weird here because the past years classes had theirs embroidered from the get go, and our class was the first one to receive magnetic name tags instead. It is redundant though because you always have a hospital ID badge clipped onto your coat anyway. Overall it's best to just get a feel for the institutional norms before doing anything.

Reactions: 1 users
As an attending it is totally ok to do this right? MD, MBA, FACS... Or does one still look like a tool?

As an attending it is totally ok to do this right? MD, MBA, FACS... Or does one still look like a tool?

Yes. Unless you're department chair, you look like a tool even as an attending if you do that. The MD is the only thing relevant to patient care. Unless you do medical research within that setting, and can then put PhD on the coat. Put the rest in your email signature.

Remember, the point of the white coat is to identify to others who you are in the hospital setting and what department you're in, not a d*** swinging contest of degrees. Mine says ______, MD, Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon. I have other titles, but they are irrelevant to what I do in the hospital.

Reactions: 7 users
I guess it depends on the institutional norms like goodwill mentioned. It's not seen as weird here because the past years classes had theirs embroidered from the get go, and our class was the first one to receive magnetic name tags instead. It is redundant though because you always have a hospital ID badge clipped onto your coat anyway. Overall it's best to just get a feel for the institutional norms before doing anything.

Huh, I wonder why they stopped embroidering...

Almost certainly $$$. Much cheaper to bulk buy blank white coats (or ones that all have the same school logo embroidered) vs. individually embroidered ones

I did get the PhD put onto my ID. Classmates (straight MD ones) think it's cool. One of my preceptors always referred to me as "Dr. [Last Name]." As far as I can tell from my evals post getting it on there after my dissertation was officially deposited vs. pre deposit no one cares and I worked damn hard for those letters and it makes me happy to see them on the ID.

If you think it makes me a tool, cash me ousside, how bow dah!

Reactions: 9 users
Not totally sure but when they ordered the coats for our class, the shipment ended up being delayed by a crazy Chinese typhoon that was going on at the time. Because of that Our coats weren't delivered in time for our white coat ceremony, so they gave us long white coats that they scrounged up from somewhere, plus the magnetic name tag. So the lack of embroidering probably had something to do with that whole delayed shipment deal. They did end up taking our white coats and are having our names embroidered before we start 3rd year. In the mean time, a bunch of people bought white coats from the health bookstore with their names embroidered (the same coats that the classes above us have), and will now have two white coats haha.

Wear whatever you like. If you had advance degree like a PhD, then put it on there. You worked your butt off so why hide your degree? Everyone telling you anything more looks silly is wrong. There are nurses with long white coats with 100 different letters behind it. I don't see anything wrong with dressing the way you want or embroidering your white coat the way you want. Don't worry what others will think of you. Most judgmental people will just find another reason to judge you. So do not change what makes you happy because of them.

So strange- ours are all embroidered, because name tags are a pain.

My god, I wish more people got Skins references around here because this is just begging for a nod to this guy
MV5BNjZiYjE5YTYtNDA5Zi00MmRiLThlZDAtMTRjOGI1NjhhOWUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkxNDcxNTg@._V1_SX563_CR0,0,563,315_AL_.jpg

The PhD stands for pretty huge... Uh, D, for the record.

The question's been asked last year. I think the only case for advanced degrees on a medical student white coat are PhDs in medical science earned prior to or during medical school. They took 4+ years to achieve and they contribute to your ability as a physician.

As for PhDs in 16th century literature or even something as applicable as computer science, I would refrain from doing so as it doesn't add to your ability as a healthcare provider in any official way. While an argument can be made about the MPH or MHA, I would say don't do it just because while those degrees add to your qualifications, there's a negative perception that it is just another name for a gap year regardless of whether or not that's applicable to an individuals actual circumstances.

I'm ashamed to admit that there is a part of me that would totally go out and earn random degrees if the initials, when embroidered on my coat or name tag, would spell something inappropriately funny.

I'm ashamed to admit that there is a part of me that would totally go out and earn random degrees if the initials, when embroidered on my coat or name tag, would spell something inappropriately funny.
BA,MF

Bachelor of arts master of forestry

Reactions: 6 users
The question's been asked last year. I think the only case for advanced degrees on a medical student white coat are PhDs in medical science earned prior to or during medical school. They took 4+ years to achieve and they contribute to your ability as a physician.

As for PhDs in 16th century literature or even something as applicable as computer science, I would refrain from doing so as it doesn't add to your ability as a healthcare provider in any official way. While an argument can be made about the MPH or MHA, I would say don't do it just because while those degrees add to your qualifications, there's a negative perception that it is just another name for a gap year regardless of whether or not that's applicable to an individuals actual circumstances.

It is peculiar how, for many, degrees like an MHA or MPH are terminal degrees, but are negated in the realm of medicine as being gap years and nothing more. It is completely unwarranted.

Amateurs. I present to you Dr. Jacob M. Appel, BA, MA, MA, MPhil, MFA, MS, MFA, MPH, JD, MD, PhD (Jacob M. Appel - Wikipedia)
But why though? And did he have free tuition as an instructor or something?

Part of me has always wanted to take an academic job with free tuition and just take courses in fun stuff all the time

It is peculiar how, for many, degrees like an MHA or MPH are terminal degrees, but are negated in the realm of medicine as being gap years and nothing more. It is completely unwarranted.
Anything academic that can be done online 1yr after a bachelors just isn't that impressive compared to the effort of all things medical

Anything academic that can be done online 1yr after a bachelors just isn't that impressive compared to the effort of all things medical

This is sort of what I am suggesting about how these degrees are pushed to the side in the heirarchy of medicine. The MPH is a 42 credit hour master's degree. As well, the MHA is at least a 36-40 credit hour degree. These are hardly 1 year, "just something to put down on my application" degrees. Most SMP's are what, 24-30 credit hours? Certainly, each is entitled to his or her own opinion.

But why though? And did he have free tuition as an instructor or something?

Part of me has always wanted to take an academic job with free tuition and just take courses in fun stuff all the time

My Calc IV professor was fluent in Russian because he took a course for free every semester :banana:

lmao