Getting Name on Research Paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working with my PI on the final stages of a paper this summer. What is the best way to ask to get my name on this paper?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working with my PI on the final stages of a paper this summer. What is the best way to ask to get my name on this paper?

If you are the primary person putting together the manuscript, then you can always send your PI a list of contributors to the project, yourself included, and ask them for their preferred authorship order.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's okay to just ask what you need to contribute to a paper for authorship whenever you work with someone new. Some labs are very strict and others are more generous, it can be hard to predict.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the best way to ask to get my name on this paper?
I wouldn't ask this question to any PI directly. I like the response above from Shirafune. It's kind of like a passive way of including yourself but ultimately giving your PI the final say in who is in or out.

If you contributed significantly to the work, as described by the ICJME (ICMJE | Recommendations | Defining the Role of Authors and Contributors), it's fair to ask whether your contributions warrant authorship. If you know that you didn't do that much, asking for authorship won't look good on you.

Reactions: 1 user