My Experience Switching Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResSwitchThrowAway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, SDN. I am posting my experience about switching residencies. This is a throw-away account, although I suspect that with the details I am prepared to include, I will be readily identifiable by anybody involved with my personal story.

When I first realized that I wanted to switch out of my program, I had a ton of questions, but felt isolated without anybody to talk to. I came to SDN and did a search, but it wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be. In a desperate attempt, I sent PMs to random people to see if they could help me. Overall, it was a pretty dismal experience, and I promised that once I got out on the other side, I'd make a post here about my experience here so that others down the line could have something to garner information from.

As background, I am a graduate of a US allopathic school. I was an average med student with average board scores. Throughout 3rd year, I had a tough time picking a specialty to apply to because I truly liked most things that I rotated through. After cutting it down to IM and radiology, I chose to apply to radiology.

I began to feel the first tinges of reconsideration during my sub-I in fourth year. Because I front-loaded my schedule with radiology rotations, I didn't get to my (mandatory) IM sub-I until the tail-end of my fourth year. It was an amazing experience and I really loved everything about it. The next chapter was intern year, which was absolutely one of the greatest experiences of my life. I loved every moment of it and I looked forward to going to work everyday. None of the parts that people said were bad about intern year (the long hours; being the low-man on the totem pole) bothered me in the least, because I was having such a good time learning and practicing medicine.

I began to have serious doubts about moving on past IM. Still, I convinced myself that I chose radiology for a reason, and that I only felt this way because I was so far removed from it. I convinced myself that if I loved IM this much, then I would love radiology this much more.

Partway through the course of my intern year, one of the categorical IM interns dropped out for reasons that are unknown to me. I was quite friendly with many of the chief residents at the time, and some of them happened to mention that I was a really great IM intern and that I seemed to really enjoy it; they thought that perhaps I would make a really good IM resident, and that I should talk to the PD about staying on if what they were observing about me was really true.

I gave it some serious consideration, and spent a few evenings talking about it with my wife, who encouraged me to talk to the PD. In the end, I decided against it because I convinced myself that I would like radiology more; additionally, the thought of telling my radiology PD, a person that I met only once, that I was never going to show up because I had a change-of-heart was a bit daunting.

On July 1st of PGY2, I realized that I made a mistake. The feeling got worse with every passing day. I felt like I had something that I loved and that I stupidly let it get away. It felt like breaking up with a perfect girlfriend. The thought of continuing on this path that I didn't want to became unbearable, but I didn't have anybody to talk to. This is about when I made the SDN searches and random PMs.

Eventually, I decided that I would reach out to my old PD, whom I had a cordial, but not totally chummy relationship with. He offered some great support, but ultimately he never wavered from his ultimate message: that my new PD was the only person that could help me, and that he was the only person that I could and should talk to.

So now I was left with the terrifying task of telling my new PD, a person that I barely know, how I truly felt. Mind you that this was still the first or second week of July. I hesitated a lot because I thought he would think that I was ridiculous for being so sure so soon. I hesitated a lot because I barely knew the guy. I hesitated a lot because I was scared to death.

Ultimately, I took the leap and I arranged to meet with my PD. I was too unhappy not to talk about it. The main reason I pulled the trigger was because I was hoping to salvage the year by switching early enough to an IM program to not lose credit for a year of residency (this is silly thinking, which I will explain below). The meeting was as terrifying and awkward as I thought that it would be. Overall, however, my PD was nothing less than supportive. Despite his understanding, he urged me to give it a month or two to see if my feelings changed; perhaps I was just getting the jitters from a change of scenery.

A month or two passed and I didn't change my mind. He gave me the blessing to inquire about residency vacancies (if you talk to programs without obtaining this blessing, then at best they will think you are a sleazy and unreliable resident, and at worst they will tell your current PD what you are doing and he will then think those things about you). This next part is extremely tough, because finding an open position is pretty hard to do. I always assumed that PDs had some means of communicating with each other about things that interest them (terrible applicants, vacancies, etc.). It turns out that a magical central repository of open positions frankly doesn't exist.

The way that open positions are found is two-fold: 1. You meet with your institutional PD of the specialty that you want to switch to, who works his connections and the back channels to find any open positions. 2. You cold-call every program that interests you.

Neither are terribly good options. As for option 1, you are basically at the mercy of how much effort this PD wants to put into you, which is usually very little given that this person doesn't know you and has no vested interest in you. Additionally, you will have the terrible luck of coming to them for help at the start of interview season. The second option is not ideal because you have to take another leap preparing an application and putting yourself out there; furthermore, you have to be prepared for rejections (a lot of rejections). If you get to this step, I wager 98% of people who find a spot do so through method 2.

As alluded to above, the thought of switching out early enough to salvage your year is usually preposterous. This is because programs generally don't have any vacancies early in the summer, because they would have taken care of that before July 1st started. If you are lucky enough to find a spot, the chances that your current PD will be cool with you just leaving is pretty close to nil.

With that said, I did find a program with a vacancy very early into my search. The bad part is that it was a small community program literally on the other side of the country. The PD of that program, while quite nice, was extremely pushy and gave me timetables that pretty much pushed me to make decisions very rapidly. If I wasn't married, I might be at that program now, but taking a position like that so quickly was out of the question for my wife, so I relinquished the opportunities to wait and see if others opened up.

Others will open up. The golden time is November-January. This is when I got correspondence back from ~12 of the 160+ programs that I cold-called in the summer/fall. November-January is about the time that current residents also have a change of heart and leave, or personal issues sprout up, or residents are removed for academic reasons. All of them required interviews, which can be difficult to arrange while you are still a resident.

My conclusion is that I ended up being accepted to a quality university program. One that I feel strongly that I would've matched into had I applied directly to IM from medical school. I am extremely happy with the way that things have turned out.

This post is running (really) long, so I will sum up my recommendations as below:
1. Talk to your PD. He is the only person that can help you. You will be scared that he will turn out to be some horrible monster, but he won't be. If he is, then he's not the kind of person that you want to work for and have advocate for you, anyway. If you meet with your PD and he truly is not helpful to you, then every institution has a "GME director" that overlooks all residencies at that institution; you are allowed to contact him anonymously for help specifically if this occurs.
2. Finding a new position will be hard. There is no central repository of open positions. Residency-swap is a small database, is only for "swappers", and charges a fee. Be prepared to write up a new application and PS. Be prepared to send a lot of emails. Be prepared to make a lot of phone calls. Be prepared for a lot of rejections. Don't be surprised if the fruits of your hard labor don't blossom until November/December/January.
3. Realize that at the end of the day, your PD will have to endorse you to whatever program is interested in you. That means that even if you hate what you're doing, you will have to do your best to fake it, because they will want to know that you are competent and reliable.
4. Have courage and believe in yourself. Pursue your happiness.

Good luck. I hope that this was helpful to whoever reads it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
I would rather jump off a bridge than see patients.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for posting. Useful perspective, although it's a position no one ever wants to be in.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I think your situation is a little different than most people switching out. You switched from a very competitive specialty to a lesser competitive specialty, which I would assume would be easier than going the other way around (ie switching from FM or IM to radiology, optho, ER..etc)??

Also I was under the impression that there are many many openings for PGY2 positions in many different specialties? If you look in resident swap or other equivalent websites there seems to be literally in the hundreds of openings for PGY2 and PGY3 positions? Would it be very difficult to finish your PGY1 year and then join one of these PGY2 openings?

I am also trying to do this and I am about to interview for an open spot. I was just wondering in your experience, once they contacted you for an interview, what were your chances of being offered the spot?? I am trying to transfer for family/personal reasons in same specialty.

I am also trying to do this and I am about to interview for an open spot. I was just wondering in your experience, once they contacted you for an interview, what were your chances of being offered the spot?? I am trying to transfer for family/personal reasons in same specialty.

Obviously there are a ton of variables here including how desirable the program that you are interviewing for, how desirable you are as an applicant, if/how many other people are applying to the same position, and how desperate the program is to fill the spot in a timely manner.

With that said, I received 2 offers (out of 2 interviews) before I agreed to attend a particular program. Once this decision was made, I canceled 2 pending interviews. I then received ~8 more emails replying to my initial query from months prior.

Of the programs that I received offers from, the pre-interview conversation made it sound very much as if they wanted me to join their program. The same is true of the 2 programs at which I had interviews scheduled, but then canceled.

I suspect that if the conversation is going well and they are serious enough to offer you an interview, then you stand a pretty good shot. Again, obviously none of this is law. YMMV.

Thanks for the response and glad that everything worked out for you!

how supportive are program directors to letting you interview for another specialty during your intern year?

As long as you do it on your day off or vacation time? Super supportive.

This will also depend on the program director and how easy it is to take your vacation.

This will also depend on the program director and how easy it is to take your vacation.
Not really. You get the number of days off you get, no matter what you're doing with them, going to Bali on a 2 week vacation, or flying to Little Rock to interview for a new job. You start taking personal/sick days for this though and you're going to be in a lot of trouble. This is not to say that you might not get help in re-arranging your schedule to do that, just that you won't get any more time off just because you need to go on interviews.

Not really. You get the number of days off you get, no matter what you're doing with them, going to Bali on a 2 week vacation, or flying to Little Rock to interview for a new job. You start taking personal/sick days for this though and you're going to be in a lot of trouble. This is not to say that you might not get help in re-arranging your schedule to do that, just that you won't get any more time off just because you need to go on interviews.

Yes but it needs to be in rotations that allow for this. Your PD has to be extremely nice to rearrange your schedule during Nov/Dec to do this. It's a lot of work to do.

yeah certain rotations we aren't supposed to be able to take vacation on....that's what i'm worried about...i don't think my current schedule is giving me any of those "allowable" months to do so ....

I mean I would think it's still possible, but it's just hard to do. You need to give your PD ample notice and be considerate about it.

As a side note to any 4th year medical student reading this who is not sure what he/she wants to do, just do a TRI or a Prelim medicine year.

It may be miserable, but at least you can have some idea.

any experiences with participating through next year match--> in different specialty while intern year?

I'm kind of in the same situation, but I want to switch to a different residency of the same specialty (IM). I was an average medical student ( US allopathic) with a not so great step 1 score and ended up in a mediocre city program. The teaching at my present hospital isn't great (I just do scut work), and it's poorly organized hospital (still use paper charts). I want to switch to a different medicine program but 1) I don't know how and 2) I'm afraid my director won't be supportive and I risk losing my job and not getting an open position. I'm not gravely unhappy here, but I wonder if im.going to become a competent physician staying where I am now.

QUOTE="ResSwitchThrowAway, post: 16316999, member: 680354"]Hey, SDN. I am posting my experience about switching residencies. This is a throw-away account, although I suspect that with the details I am prepared to include, I will be readily identifiable by anybody involved with my personal story.

When I first realized that I wanted to switch out of my program, I had a ton of questions, but felt isolated without anybody to talk to. I came to SDN and did a search, but it wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be. In a desperate attempt, I sent PMs to random people to see if they could help me. Overall, it was a pretty dismal experience, and I promised that once I got out on the other side, I'd make a post here about my experience here so that others down the line could have something to garner information from.

As background, I am a graduate of a US allopathic school. I was an average med student with average board scores. Throughout 3rd year, I had a tough time picking a specialty to apply to because I truly liked most things that I rotated through. After cutting it down to IM and radiology, I chose to apply to radiology.

I began to feel the first tinges of reconsideration during my sub-I in fourth year. Because I front-loaded my schedule with radiology rotations, I didn't get to my (mandatory) IM sub-I until the tail-end of my fourth year. It was an amazing experience and I really loved everything about it. The next chapter was intern year, which was absolutely one of the greatest experiences of my life. I loved every moment of it and I looked forward to going to work everyday. None of the parts that people said were bad about intern year (the long hours; being the low-man on the totem pole) bothered me in the least, because I was having such a good time learning and practicing medicine.

I began to have serious doubts about moving on past IM. Still, I convinced myself that I chose radiology for a reason, and that I only felt this way because I was so far removed from it. I convinced myself that if I loved IM this much, then I would love radiology this much more.

Partway through the course of my intern year, one of the categorical IM interns dropped out for reasons that are unknown to me. I was quite friendly with many of the chief residents at the time, and some of them happened to mention that I was a really great IM intern and that I seemed to really enjoy it; they thought that perhaps I would make a really good IM resident, and that I should talk to the PD about staying on if what they were observing about me was really true.

I gave it some serious consideration, and spent a few evenings talking about it with my wife, who encouraged me to talk to the PD. In the end, I decided against it because I convinced myself that I would like radiology more; additionally, the thought of telling my radiology PD, a person that I met only once, that I was never going to show up because I had a change-of-heart was a bit daunting.

On July 1st of PGY2, I realized that I made a mistake. The feeling got worse with every passing day. I felt like I had something that I loved and that I stupidly let it get away. It felt like breaking up with a perfect girlfriend. The thought of continuing on this path that I didn't want to became unbearable, but I didn't have anybody to talk to. This is about when I made the SDN searches and random PMs.

Eventually, I decided that I would reach out to my old PD, whom I had a cordial, but not totally chummy relationship with. He offered some great support, but ultimately he never wavered from his ultimate message: that my new PD was the only person that could help me, and that he was the only person that I could and should talk to.

So now I was left with the terrifying task of telling my new PD, a person that I barely know, how I truly felt. Mind you that this was still the first or second week of July. I hesitated a lot because I thought he would think that I was ridiculous for being so sure so soon. I hesitated a lot because I barely knew the guy. I hesitated a lot because I was scared to death.

Ultimately, I took the leap and I arranged to meet with my PD. I was too unhappy not to talk about it. The main reason I pulled the trigger was because I was hoping to salvage the year by switching early enough to an IM program to not lose credit for a year of residency (this is silly thinking, which I will explain below). The meeting was as terrifying and awkward as I thought that it would be. Overall, however, my PD was nothing less than supportive. Despite his understanding, he urged me to give it a month or two to see if my feelings changed; perhaps I was just getting the jitters from a change of scenery.

A month or two passed and I didn't change my mind. He gave me the blessing to inquire about residency vacancies (if you talk to programs without obtaining this blessing, then at best they will think you are a sleazy and unreliable resident, and at worst they will tell your current PD what you are doing and he will then think those things about you). This next part is extremely tough, because finding an open position is pretty hard to do. I always assumed that PDs had some means of communicating with each other about things that interest them (terrible applicants, vacancies, etc.). It turns out that a magical central repository of open positions frankly doesn't exist.

The way that open positions are found is two-fold: 1. You meet with your institutional PD of the specialty that you want to switch to, who works his connections and the back channels to find any open positions. 2. You cold-call every program that interests you.

Neither are terribly good options. As for option 1, you are basically at the mercy of how much effort this PD wants to put into you, which is usually very little given that this person doesn't know you and has no vested interest in you. Additionally, you will have the terrible luck of coming to them for help at the start of interview season. The second option is not ideal because you have to take another leap preparing an application and putting yourself out there; furthermore, you have to be prepared for rejections (a lot of rejections). If you get to this step, I wager 98% of people who find a spot do so through method 2.

As alluded to above, the thought of switching out early enough to salvage your year is usually preposterous. This is because programs generally don't have any vacancies early in the summer, because they would have taken care of that before July 1st started. If you are lucky enough to find a spot, the chances that your current PD will be cool with you just leaving is pretty close to nil.

With that said, I did find a program with a vacancy very early into my search. The bad part is that it was a small community program literally on the other side of the country. The PD of that program, while quite nice, was extremely pushy and gave me timetables that pretty much pushed me to make decisions very rapidly. If I wasn't married, I might be at that program now, but taking a position like that so quickly was out of the question for my wife, so I relinquished the opportunities to wait and see if others opened up.

Others will open up. The golden time is November-January. This is when I got correspondence back from ~12 of the 160+ programs that I cold-called in the summer/fall. November-January is about the time that current residents also have a change of heart and leave, or personal issues sprout up, or residents are removed for academic reasons. All of them required interviews, which can be difficult to arrange while you are still a resident.

My conclusion is that I ended up being accepted to a quality university program. One that I feel strongly that I would've matched into had I applied directly to IM from medical school. I am extremely happy with the way that things have turned out.

This post is running (really) long, so I will sum up my recommendations as below:
1. Talk to your PD. He is the only person that can help you. You will be scared that he will turn out to be some horrible monster, but he won't be. If he is, then he's not the kind of person that you want to work for and have advocate for you, anyway. If you meet with your PD and he truly is not helpful to you, then every institution has a "GME director" that overlooks all residencies at that institution; you are allowed to contact him anonymously for help specifically if this occurs.
2. Finding a new position will be hard. There is no central repository of open positions. Residency-swap is a small database, is only for "swappers", and charges a fee. Be prepared to write up a new application and PS. Be prepared to send a lot of emails. Be prepared to make a lot of phone calls. Be prepared for a lot of rejections. Don't be surprised if the fruits of your hard labor don't blossom until November/December/January.
3. Realize that at the end of the day, your PD will have to endorse you to whatever program is interested in you. That means that even if you hate what you're doing, you will have to do your best to fake it, because they will want to know that you are competent and reliable.

Good luck. I hope that this was helpful to whoever reads it.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of in the same situation, but I want to switch to a different residency of the same specialty (IM). I was an average medical student ( US allopathic) with a not so great step 1 score and ended up in a mediocre city program. The teaching at my present hospital isn't great (I just do scut work), and it's poorly organized hospital (still use paper charts). I want to switch to a different medicine program but 1) I don't know how and 2) I'm afraid my director won't be supportive and I risk losing my job and not getting an open position. I'm not gravely unhappy here, but I wonder if im.going to become a competent physician staying where I am now.

You have a spot and a path to becoming board certified. You risk that to try to find another program that could end up being worse than what you have...

Reactions: 6 users
I'm kind of in the same situation, but I want to switch to a different residency of the same specialty (IM). I was an average medical student ( US allopathic) with a not so great step 1 score and ended up in a mediocre city program. The teaching at my present hospital isn't great (I just do scut work), and it's poorly organized hospital (still use paper charts). I want to switch to a different medicine program but 1) I don't know how and 2) I'm afraid my director won't be supportive and I risk losing my job and not getting an open position. I'm not gravely unhappy here, but I wonder if i'm going to become a competent physician staying where I am now.

There isn't an easy way to do this. There isn't a centralized list of PGY-2 openings, it's completely by word-of-mouth and cold calls. Your PD is unlikely to be interested in helping you -- "your program sucks so I want to go somewhere else" isn't exactly motivating. Also, you have to try to assess if you're more competitive now -- Telling a new PD that you want to move because you aren't learning enough at your current program isn't likely to be successful.

Your best option is probably to stick it out, and then either do a fellowship or get a practice spot where you're working with others and can still grow. If you really want to move, best to find a "better" reason -- needing to be closer to family, etc. Don't lie, but you may be stretching the truth.

Two major risks:
1. You'll need to tell your PD. There is some chance that they will be less excited about supporting you if you don't find a spot, or there is some chance that they will give away your spot before you find a new one -- you could be left with nothing.

2. You could transfer, and then fail out of the new program because of less / different training. This is also a career killer.

Reactions: 4 users
Jesus **** people, stop the whining and bitching. "I don't like my program."

If you want to switch spots because you want a different specialty, fair enough, it might be worth the risk of ending your career.

If you have some hardcore family reasons, like mom is dying of cancer, again, maybe.

If you get the feeling your program seriously wants you gone, you could make up a good reason why they should help you transfer out (not likely if they hate your face and depends why they hate it)

I'm simply flabbergasted more med students and residents don't know how easy it is to get a boot in your ass and have your whole career and financial future crushed for life.

You have a position. Now quit trying to commit career suicide and suck it the **** up.

aPD's post above was spot on. If your PD even mind reads you want to leave by the smell of your fear and unhappiness that could end you.

Now get back to work and suck that **** with just a bit more enthusiasm.

If you were to apply to another specialty through ERAS and the match while already in residency do you have to tell your current program before or after you match? And if you don't match what's the likelihood that you lose your current spot?

OMG... this comes up all the time for some reason.

FOR ****S SAKE YOU CANT SNEAK MATCH SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Don't even try.

You have to have a letter from your PD. No PD in the world is going to take you without talking to your old PD first. Failure to communicate with your current PD and appearing to try to leave them high and dry can end you. End you.

This is an interesting story to consider . I feel like too many people are unhappy in their residency but don't have the courage to switch and are just willing to accept their fate. There are people out there who have switched multiple times (though I would not recommend it).
sometimes its easiest to just switch at the hospital you are in, I have a friend who got to know residents and attendings in other programs in his hospital and they would sometimes tell him if someone was dropping out, etc and tell him he should think about coming on over.

Ok I'm in a similar position, but possibly more scary.
I'm an IMG, currently in Radiology but want to switch to preventive medicine. I got a letter of rec from the PD at my IM pre-lim year and am applying through ERAS. I haven't told my current Radiology program any of this yet. However, licensing laws in each state are tougher on IMGs so having just the 1 year of internship isn't enough. Even if I finished this year of radiology I don't know if it would qualify for a license as I would have 1 year of medicine and 1 year of Radiology. Also, not sure job prospects being only certified in preventive med as an IMG.

What do I do? Take the chance and apply to preventive med? Look for open IM/FM PGY-2 spots for next year? I could really use some help, I can't find any info. out there. Thanks!!

Ok I'm in a similar position, but possibly more scary.
I'm an IMG, currently in Radiology but want to switch to preventive medicine. I got a letter of rec from the PD at my IM pre-lim year and am applying through ERAS. I haven't told my current Radiology program any of this yet. However, licensing laws in each state are tougher on IMGs so having just the 1 year of internship isn't enough. Even if I finished this year of radiology I don't know if it would qualify for a license as I would have 1 year of medicine and 1 year of Radiology. Also, not sure job prospects being only certified in preventive med as an IMG.

What do I do? Take the chance and apply to preventive med? Look for open IM/FM PGY-2 spots for next year? I could really use some help, I can't find any info. out there. Thanks!!

An IMG?! Attempting to switch residencies is precarious for anyone. For you, doubly so! Your risk is SO much higher and your likelihood of a successful outcome is considerably lower. You have a residency spot -- keep it!

Reactions: 2 users
An IMG?! Attempting to switch residencies is precarious for anyone. For you, doubly so! Your risk is SO much higher and your likelihood of a successful outcome is considerably lower. You have a residency spot -- keep it!
agree...you can always complete the radiology residency then do preventative medicine...though that being said, preventative medicine is not that competitive and you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting something if you were competitive enough to get radiology.

though shouldn't you have already applied? ERAS opened over a month ago...

agree...you can always complete the radiology residency then do preventative medicine...though that being said, preventative medicine is not that competitive and you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting something if you were competitive enough to get radiology.

though shouldn't you have already applied? ERAS opened over a month ago...
Submitted apps through ERAS end of last week. Looked at most programs and I'm ahead of most deadlines. Also just applied to the few IM/PM programs out there because that would be perfect given my IMG status and licensure issues.

Any input on when/if to tell current program about my concerns?

Submitted apps through ERAS end of last week. Looked at most programs and I'm ahead of most deadlines. Also just applied to the few IM/PM programs out there because that would be perfect given my IMG status and licensure issues.

yesterday...

Reactions: 1 users
Don't confuse deadlines with timely applications. My deadline is tomorrow. But anyone submitting after 10/1 is late, and most late applications are rejected.

Don't apply for IM PGY-1's. I doubt anyone will take you -- you've already completed a PGY-1. If you want to continue in IM, you should talk to your Prelim PD and see if they can help you find a spot.

I think your PD is better off hearing this from you, rather than some other PD calling them to ask what's up. But it all depends upon your relationship with your PD.

Reactions: 3 users

ASAP. Programs are going to want to hear from your current PD so they can see how your more recent performance and evaluations have gone.

I don't know much about licensing concerns, but you are going to be going for a training license/permit during residency. I don't see this being a problem at an accredited training program.

Radiology to Preventative med?

What happened there? Why the switch? What draws you to PM?

Dont most people switch between semi-related fields? Like FM to OBGYN, IM/FM to EM, Gen surg to ortho, Anesthesia to EM, FM to Peds....etc

will some programs offer you an interview without verifying if in fact your own PD is aware of your desire to transfer? Also I assume most programs would not contact your PD unless they have already interviewed you because that could potentially ruin the chance of the new program eventually being able to hire the applicant. I ask this because it would be advantageous to know how many interview opportunities you have prior to informing your PD and making the decision to leave your current program.

There are no "rules". Each PD can do whatever they want.

My personal style is the following: If you contact me, I'm happy to tell you whether we have any openings or not and briefly review what we could possibly offer you. I'll briefly review your CV if we have a position. If we have no spots, or if I'm just not interested, then it ends there. If we go any further, the next step is contacting your current PD. I won't discuss specifics nor consider interviewing you without talking to your PD first.

But other PD's/programs/fields may do things differently.

Reactions: 4 users
For the PDs here or those with a successful switch, did you email the program contact or the PD? I'm in the process of contacting programs to do a second residency after I graduate. I won't be switching out as I have 1 year of a 3 year residency left. Going into a 5 year program.

So far, the programs I've heard back from don't accept residents for elective/audition rotations. So maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

For the PDs here or those with a successful switch, did you email the program contact or the PD? I'm in the process of contacting programs to do a second residency after I graduate. I won't be switching out as I have 1 year of a 3 year residency left. Going into a 5 year program.

So far, the programs I've heard back from don't accept residents for elective/audition rotations. So maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

It would be helpful if you said what you are currently doing, and what field you want to do.
You would be doing a second residency, and depending on your initial field, you may not get enough credit to start as a PGY2. If you are going to start over completely (likely if going into something surgical), you need to go through the match again. If you are already a resident, not sure why an audition rotation would be beneficial---as a resident you will find being limited to student things (like not being able to put in orders or actually make decisions) is frustrating. Plus audition rotations are more likely to hurt you than help you.

QUOTE="ResSwitchThrowAway, post: 16316999, member: 680354"]Hey, SDN. I am posting my experience about switching residencies. This is a throw-away account, although I suspect that with the details I am prepared to include, I will be readily identifiable by anybody involved with my personal story.

Good luck. I hope that this was helpful to whoever reads it.
[/QUOTE]
Im glad I stumbled upon this at this time. I just want to say that it takes a strong person to share his personal experiences and maybe help someone find way and a direction. Many people just don't want to talk about the truth behind our struggles.

Thank you to whoever wrote this message back in 2015.