Switching residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenabc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scrambled into categorical program (FM). unfavorable location, newly accredited.

There is an opening in prelim surgery position at nearby University-based hospital. Should I try to switch or just stay?
I wanted to try transferring into advanced positions or pgy2 later. IM or anethesiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Scrambled into categorical program (FM). unfavorable location, newly accredited.

There is an opening in prelim surgery position at nearby University-based hospital. Should I try to switch or just stay?
I wanted to try transferring into advanced positions or pgy2 later. IM or anethesiology.
you can't switch without incurring a match violation...you soaped into a catagorical spot...and you think, that somehow you are better off with a 1 year prelim spot and think you will somehow get an IM or anesthesia spot...just thank your lucky stars you soaped into something.

Reactions: 4 users
Neither an FM nor a prelim GS PGY-1 will allow you to transfer to an IM PGY-2. You'd need to start over as a PGY-1 either way.

The GS prelim would count for an anesthesia base year, the FM PGY-1 might not (I'm not certain).

In any case, if you had problems competing this year for these types of spots, you might find the same problem next year. As mentioned, you have a spot that will get you trained. You could complete a 3 year FM residency and then try to re-match into IM (where you might then get credit for a PGY-1) or anesthesia -- that way, if you're unsuccessful, you have your career in FM.

You would need to post more information about your application for anything more specific.

Reactions: 2 users
Neither an FM nor a prelim GS PGY-1 will allow you to transfer to an IM PGY-2. You'd need to start over as a PGY-1 either way.

The GS prelim would count for an anesthesia base year, the FM PGY-1 might not (I'm not certain).

In any case, if you had problems competing this year for these types of spots, you might find the same problem next year. As mentioned, you have a spot that will get you trained. You could complete a 3 year FM residency and then try to re-match into IM (where you might then get credit for a PGY-1) or anesthesia -- that way, if you're unsuccessful, you have your career in FM.

You would need to post more information about your application for anything more specific.
You'd know better than I would, but I was under the impression an IM PD could choose to give up to ~6 mo credit for a year of FM (with approval of the relevant bodies).

Yes, if the program also has an IM program and the rotations completed are identical. And only if the IM PD approves it. The OP should count on no credit, could get lucky.

Reactions: 1 users
People in hell want ice water too. Be happy you got something. Based on soap into FM at a new program that is community, I doubt you are gonna be a strong candidate for that spot or Anesthesia. Getting IM would mean basically starting over unless you get some credit. Plus, they would have to want to fund you at some point as you would use up your GME monies. You feeling that lucky or hate FM that bad? o_O