Intern hoping to switch specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abysmalnote

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently an OBGYN PGY-1 who decided that OBGYN is not for me. I am hoping to switch into preferably Internal Medicine, but if not, Family Medicine. I have signed up for all the websites that provide information on open residency spots including AMA Frieda database, ResidentSwap, and FindaResident, but have been told that many of the residency programs on there prefer an IM>IM transfer for smoother transition given how late it is in the year.

My plan is to hopefully SOAP into a position this upcoming match as it is too late to apply for programs this ERAS cycle. I understand that I would need to apply for one program to qualify for SOAP so I already obtained my ERAS token from school. I am currently working on my personal statement in preparation for SOAP. I also have some off-service rotations coming up including ICU and ED that I am hoping I can gather letters for SOAP.

I am posting because I am hoping to gather insight into this whole switching specialties process since there is not a lot of information online. Is there anything else I should be preparing or any other strategies that I should consider? I am also looking to hear anyone’s experience in switching specialties successfully through SOAP. My program director is aware that I would like to switch specialties, but she has not been interested in guiding me through the process.

For reference, my stats are: Low Tier USMD School, Step 2: 250, and oddly enough had a lot of IM-related research in medical school

Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You would certainly be in a good position to match in IM if you had the time to do the full process. The SOAP is difficult for everyone so just be prepared for that.

I would recommend going ahead and just getting your ERAS app in and apply to 10 programs since it costs the same for 1 or 10. You never know if you might get lucky on a couple of them offering late season interviews.

I would also recommend that you sit down with the IM PD at your current hospital and talk to them about your plan. While they can’t hold a spot for you, if you are a good enough candidate for that program, and they like you, they might be willing to rank you to match, or at least highly, which would be way better than trying to SOAP or potentially take a year off.

And if you’re worried about working in the same hospital as your current residency classmates and things potentially being awkward, I can count on one finger the number of times I ran into an OB resident during my IM residency, and it was when my daughter was born in the same hospital. I literally never saw them otherwise on the floor, ICU or in the ED.

Reactions: 1 user