"Must read!" articles for new residents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irfanmd1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the, say top 2 or 3 "must read" articlesd/papers for each type of cancer (Lung, Breast, prostate etc) , particularly for new PGY-2 residents?

I understand there could be a significant amount of bias/ preference from person to person based on their experience and training, however it would be interesting and helpful to the new residents to have an idea about the articles to read and discuss.

Thanks,

-Irfan

Members don't see this ad.

You'll read the key articles during your four year residency. There is some bias, but the 'key articles' are the same for everyone, i.e. for your rationale for your oral board answers. If you have free time right now, read some clinical oncology. UpToDate early stage NSCLC or breast or prostate. It's like internship - too overwhelming to prepare for. Don't sweat it, yet.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
i suggest you start your residency by focusing on workflow of the department, learning the radonc 'lingo' for the first month. after that, you should focus on physics/bio (while not ignoring clinical work). its good to get physics/bio under your belt during your first year, so you can focus on clinicals for the majority of your residency. it would behoove you to do so. my personal feeling is that first year radonc residents dont need to be quoting literature during the first 6-12 months of their residency...its arrogant, esp since you probably dont know what you are talking about.

start with uptodate. gives good backgroup with links to pertinant /seminal citations.