MSUCOM vs. Touro CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lighting4748

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
MSUCOM
Pros
  • Well-known large public school with undergrad affiliation.
  • Has its own residency programs/rotation sites through Statewide Campus System
  • Very strong match list (Multiple Ortho, Ophtho, ENT, Anesthesiology and Gen Surg matches. Couple of Urology and even NSGY matches in past years.)
  • Good COMLEX pass rates
  • P/F with internal ranking
  • More affordable cost of living
  • More research available
  • More clinical opportunities at affiliated hospitals

Cons
  • Farther away from home
  • Colder climate
  • Earlier start date (July)
  • Larger class size (~300)
  • Higher tuition ($65,325)

Touro CA
Pros
  • Closer to home
  • Mild climate
  • P/F with an internal ranking
  • Good COMLEX pass rates
  • Good match list
  • Smaller class size (~150 students)
  • Lower tuition ($61,380)

Cons
  • Expensive cost of living
  • Doesn't have it's own residency programs
  • Less research available
  • Smaller private school with no undergrad affiliation.

Summary: Overall, the cost of attendance will be similar since there is a drastic difference between the cost of living. I may actually save money in Michigan even though I am out of state. I am interested in a surgical specialty but honestly am open to other options as well. MSUCOM obviously has the stronger match list but many of their matches are in Michigan. At the moment, I am not sure if I want to be back in CA for residency or stay in Michigan for residency. I am super grateful to be in this position and would appreciate any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

As you noted, MSUCOM is a public DO and you'd have a lot more resources there. It seems you're open to the cold and moving, so that is a good option, especially since you'd like to pursue a surgical specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know much about these schools but based on your list it seems like you prefer the academic offerings at MSUCOM, so if you can handle the move across country I would say go there!