MSUCOM vs. CMED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonenotme

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have been fortunate enough to get into both MSUCOM and Central Michigan College of Medicine. However, I have been conflicted on where to go. I only heard back from CMED yesterday (i got off the waitlist), while I was literally ordering my white coat for msucom. Now I am in a dilemma. MSU is a very old school and their match rate this year was amazing, and the location i got placed in is only 15 minutes from my house. However it is a DO program. Whereas, CMED is 2 hours and 30 minutes from where I live, has a good match rate but it is still a brand new school, yet an MD.

I wanted to hear other premeds opinions and thoughts. what pros and cons do you guys know for each school? I have been wanting to become an MD for most of my life, however, I still really like MSU's DO program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was in the same boat as you, considering between MSUCOM and CMed, and living in the metro Detroit area. Ultimately, they’re both great schools and there is no wrong option here but at the end of the day, you’re choosing between an MD and a DO. For primary care, they’re considered equivalent in the eyes of those reading residency apps (Some may even say the state of Michigan likes DO’s more for primary care bc of how established MSUCOM is). If you’re looking to do something more competitive like surgery, Ortho, ophthalmology, etc., I’d go the MD route. (This is the advice I received from multiple MSUCOM graduated physicians). You will undeniably have an easier path. Also, going the DO route means taking 5 board exams vs 3 as an MD. This year’s CMed match was insane. One neurosurgery and like 11% of the class matching surgery. Sure, CMed is not regarded as the best MD school, but it’s certainly not the worst, and I think it’s getting better every year.

All this to say, go wherever you believe you will be happier and are better able to care for yourself because both options are great and both will lead to you becoming a doctor. Good luck and congratulations.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was in the same position and I just turned down Cmed and am committed to MSU COM. Location was a factor for me, my site for MSU COM is very close to my family. However, I have also had fantastic experiences with DOs (specifically those who have graduated from MSU) and personally appreciate a holistic approach to healthcare. I want to be able to offer my patients as much as possible, and there are some fantastic OMM techniques that I have seen immediately benefit patients while shadowing. I also did not like how the curriculum at Cmed is a lot of team-based learning and mandatory attendance. MSU also has arguably more research opportunities as it is associated with a huge university. Also, more options for where to spend the clinical years as MSU COM has campus partners all across the state. I met a few Cmed students in Detroit who said they were just here for a peds rotation because there wasn't enough space for them in Saginaw, so this was a red flag for me.
I will say if you have a desire to move to a state like California or New York get the MD.

Was in the same boat as you, considering between MSUCOM and CMed, and living in the metro Detroit area. Ultimately, they’re both great schools and there is no wrong option here but at the end of the day, you’re choosing between an MD and a DO. For primary care, they’re considered equivalent in the eyes of those reading residency apps (Some may even say the state of Michigan likes DO’s more for primary care bc of how established MSUCOM is). If you’re looking to do something more competitive like surgery, Ortho, ophthalmology, etc., I’d go the MD route. (This is the advice I received from multiple MSUCOM graduated physicians). You will undeniably have an easier path. Also, going the DO route means taking 5 board exams vs 3 as an MD. This year’s CMed match was insane. One neurosurgery and like 11% of the class matching surgery. Sure, CMed is not regarded as the best MD school, but it’s certainly not the worst, and I think it’s getting better every year.

All this to say, go wherever you believe you will be happier and are better able to care for yourself because both options are great and both will lead to you becoming a doctor. Good luck and congratulations.
The good thing about MSU COM is that they have home surgical residency programs for the competitive surgical specialties.