MSUCOM vs CMED (updated!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pattycake2904

Reaction score
Hi there, I was hoping to get some advice on choosing MSUCOM vs CMED. I already accepted the offer from MSUCOM many months ago and have been on the waitlist at CMU for a few months. This being said, I received an email from CMED this morning regarding an acceptance and a partial scholarship. I’m not really sure which to choose now and was hoping to get some advice on this!

MSUCOM:
Pros:
-Well-established program with students that match into competitive specialties each year
-I’ve already been connected with someone here regarding research and joining their lab in the Fall semester
Cons:
-DO program (seems to be a con depending on who I ask)
-Would be more expensive than CMED tuition wise by ~40-50k total

CMED:
Pros:
-MD Program
-Grew up in Mount Pleasant so I’m comfortable with the area and would be able to save a ton of money by living at home. My support structure would also be extremely close here.
-10k/year scholarship offered
-Newer facilities
Cons:
-Newer program so I’m curious if that could affect the ability to make connexions/less notoriety
-I’ve heard from students here that it can be difficult to get research opportunities
-Would have to drive an hour to Saginaw campus for SIM labs

I know things can change once you start school, but right now my top two interests are anesthesia and pediatrics, and I’m not sure if this should affect my decision or not. I’m open to any advice on this!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CMU don't think about it too much. You will be saving money. You will also be going to MD. COM is a great DO school that matches well but being an MD just makes medical education easier overall. Also CMED matches pretty solidly so you'd be okay there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CMU don't think about it too much. You will be saving money. You will also be going to MD. COM is a great DO school that matches well but being an MD just makes medical education easier overall. Also CMED matches pretty solidly so you'd be okay there.
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the advice! I’m definitely leaning hard towards CMED for the reasons you gave.