MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email reminding me that I am complete and still pending a decision. Anyone else receive it too?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One can only hope... This late in the game it feels strange knowing that there are waitlisters, and then there are us :scared:
I know. I am not sure what to think, really. I have been studying for the MCAT again and preparing for another round of applying either way. It is too late to find out a denial in April and be a good candidate for June 1st without doing SOMETHING. Hoping it works out; who knows! Trying to stay positive!

Hey all, I got the email for the April 12th open house this morning and it says you're able to "check up on your application". Do you think they'll disclose wait list position?

My email just said about open house not checking on my application... Weird??

I did and there is nothing saying that. It says the anatomy of MSUCOM.. Maybe I didn't get what u got :(

Look at the second page, fourth line down.

"ADMISSIONS AND STUDENT SERVICES – Check on your application and be sure all prerequisites and requirements are complete. A136 and C110 Fee Hall"

Canadian, deferred my acceptance. Hopefully another Canadian on here gets my spot for this years class!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't hear anything by April I think I'm still gonna try to call admissions and ask for my position on the wait list... I have to make a decision on a current lease pretty soon

If I don't hear anything by April I think I'm still gonna try to call admissions and ask for my position on the wait list... I have to make a decision on a current lease pretty soon

I'm in the same boat as you.. That's my decision too

is anyone else here choosing MSUCOM over an MD school?

Hey guys! I'm a nontraditional hoping to go to MSUCOM, and I'm applying this June. :love: this school!

My GPA: 3.76c, 3.86s, and 3.96g; IS (hoping for Detroit campus); 20,000+ clinical work hours as medic, mental health tech, and nurse; at least 5,000 volunteer hours, minimal research (one semester) and shadowing (but work side-by-side and collaborate with physicians at work)

I'm taking the MCAT July 26, and I was wondering what the minimum MCAT you guys think that I would need to have a fighting chance? The MCAT is what I'm most afraid of. :scared:

I can't wait until this cycle when I'll be part of the game. I've been watching MSUCOM's application thread over the last two years. Congrats to all accepted and hang in there to all on the waitlist. :)

Hey guys! I'm a nontraditional hoping to go to MSUCOM, and I'm applying this June. :love: this school!

My GPA: 3.76c, 3.86s, and 3.96g; IS (hoping for Detroit campus); 20,000+ clinical work hours as medic, mental health tech, and nurse; at least 5,000 volunteer hours, minimal research (one semester) and shadowing (but work side-by-side and collaborate with physicians at work)

I'm taking the MCAT July 26, and I was wondering what the minimum MCAT you guys think that I would need to have a fighting chance? The MCAT is what I'm most afraid of. :scared:

I can't wait until this cycle when I'll be part of the game. I've been watching MSUCOM's application thread over the last two years. Congrats to all accepted and hang in there to all on the waitlist. :)

Great stats and hours! I would say nail a 25+, have your AACOMAS app as complete as possible so that when you get your score you can pull the trigger. Also, pre-write your secondary since your score wont be coming out until end of August. Do all that and I would say your chances are great for admission.

Can she submit without an MCAT score? Because that would be my recommendation if you can. I submitted at the end of August and it took them a month+ to verify my app before even sending it to MSU. Also, make sure you have two people that are willing to fill out your recommendation forms as soon as you get them. With COM the earlier you complete your secondaries the better chance you have.

Can she submit without an MCAT score? Because that would be my recommendation if you can. I submitted at the end of August and it took them a month+ to verify my app before even sending it to MSU. Also, make sure you have two people that are willing to fill out your recommendation forms as soon as you get them. With COM the earlier you complete your secondaries the better chance you have.

Yeah sorry I didnt put that. Thats what I meant though. submit everything and then update the MCAT score as soon as you get it.

Also if at all possible, get one of your recommendations from an MSUCOM alum. Makes a huge difference IMO.

Yeah sorry I didnt put that. Thats what I meant though. submit everything and then update the MCAT score as soon as you get it.

Also if at all possible, get one of your recommendations from an MSUCOM alum. Makes a huge difference IMO.

This is valuable information! I do plan to send my transcripts in May and have everything ready to submit in June. I applied to MSU last year thinking that I would take the MCAT in January, but MSU is one of the schools that doesn't take the January MCAT and I was rejected quickly. I didn't realize this, or I wouldn't have applied. I didn't end up taking the January MCAT as I had originally planned and decided to wait until July (had a baby and might as well not rush things).

My OB's son is an MSUCOM alumni. I should see if he'd do one for me, although all he really knows about me is what his mom has said in the doctor's lounge.:oops: Otherwise, I have two people at work who know me well who would be willing to do the LOR portion. I can't wait to start the process! So :xf: for MSU!

Thanks you guys! :)

I FINALLY got through to the admissions office (left a message on Monday that was not returned) and talked to the receptionist who said that they won't be giving out information about the wait list. So that's unfortunate. I don't know if anyone else has tried or had any better luck, like if there's a secret password you have to say to get that info haha more waiting it is....

Is it worth it for an Illinois resident to apply here? Or is MSU heavily in-state biased?

I'm from CA and got accepted. OOS tuition is crazy but you'll be able to pay it off in the long run.

I completely remember being in your position. People that are still waiting to hear back. I just want to say good luck and be patient. I got accepted back in September after being on the low wait list the previous year. Movement usually occurs late April early May. Going to EL and I know a few people that just got accepted so don't give up.

I declined my acceptance offer this past Wednesday. Good luck to those who are still waiting, I hope one of you gets it!

Canadian, deferred my acceptance. Hopefully another Canadian on here gets my spot for this years class!

They allow deferred acceptance for the following years class? I thought they stopped doing that

Hey guys! In case some of you who were accepted missed this (I just caught this last night) we have to order our mandatory orientation items (consultation coats, anatomy coats, scrubs, etc) by April 12. Correct me if I'm wrong but just wanted to make sure everyone got a chance to put their orders in, as they say that the items will not be shipped and we have to pick them up on the EL orientation day (June 12) and the order deadline is April 12. I look forward to meeting everyone! Good luck to everyone still waiting :)

Does anyone know where we're supposed to park for the Open House on Friday? Is it just where we had parked for campus tour?

Went to the open house and it was great! Except that they are still not revealing anything about the wait list positions... Guess it's on until June.

Went to the open house and it was great! Except that they are still not revealing anything about the wait list positions... Guess it's on until June.

Well hopefully we all start hearing some news soon, I was told April and May they will pull off wait list

Besides craiglist, is there a site for MSUCOM/MSU students to look/post for housing?

do you have the website? i remember seeing the msu classified...but i cant find the website now