MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am looking to get some new gadgets before I start in the fall and I wanted to see if anyone has used the MacBook Air, latest iPad, Samsung Galaxy, and other tablets.

I am especially looking into tablets since my current computer is alright for now. Do a lot of students make use of tablets?

In regards to the MacBook Air, is it pretty comparable to the pro if you have all of your files on a small usb stick? I personally do not have much on my computer and I have had it for years (with the exception to music) and I feel like it would be fine to have the air + memory stick.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to get some new gadgets before I start in the fall and I wanted to see if anyone has used the MacBook Air, latest iPad, Samsung Galaxy, and other tablets.

I am especially looking into tablets since my current computer is alright for now. Do a lot of students make use of tablets?

In regards to the MacBook Air, is it pretty comparable to the pro if you have all of your files on a small usb stick? I personally do not have much on my computer and I have had it for years (with the exception to music) and I feel like it would be fine to have the air + memory stick.

Tablets are awesome. Anything touchscreen makes things surprisingly easier! I have a touchscreen laptop now, but am looking to steal my brothers iPad for med school :D I know we get course packs and I asked the day of the tour if we could receive these packs as a pdf, instead of printing out a billion pages...answer was yes!..and they're in color on a tablet! Which will come in handy for histo...I know some med students told me all they carry around is their tablet, no paper any more. And since you won't be doing much typing, just studying after more studying, a tablet seems like a better buy out than a laptop for now.

MSUCOM gods (admissions committee): please take the hours I would have been able to sleep tonight, had I not been a premed student, as a sacrifice to appease you! Show favor on me later today, please and thank you! :D :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM gods (admissions committee): please take the hours I would have been able to sleep tonight, had I not been a premed student, as a sacrifice to appease you! Show favor on me later today, please and thank you! :D :luck:

+1 me too!! :) good luck everybody!

I just learned of a complicated ritual that my niece and nephew use to guarantee a snow day that includes putting their pajamas on inside out and backwards, and flushing an ice cube down the toilet. I wonder if this would work to secure an MSUCOM admission? :xf:

I just learned of a complicated ritual that my niece and nephew use to guarantee a snow day that includes putting their pajamas on inside out and backwards, and flushing an ice cube down the toilet. I wonder if this would work to secure an MSUCOM admission? :xf:

LOL. Actually laughed out loud at this one. Couldn't hurt ;)

Originally Posted by BlestMama View Post
I just learned of a complicated ritual that my niece and nephew use to guarantee a snow day that includes putting their pajamas on inside out and backwards, and flushing an ice cube down the toilet. I wonder if this would work to secure an MSUCOM admission?

I have heard of this ritual before but never known anyone who actually did it! How old are they?

On a med school note, does anyone know much about MSUCOM's resident tuition guidelines? I was able to find MSU's regulations, but nothing specific to MSUCOM and I'm trying to figure out if I qualify.
If I don't, it won't matter if I get into MSUCOM or not. I won't be able to afford to go!

Originally Posted by BlestMama View Post

I have heard of this ritual before but never known anyone who actually did it! How old are they?
They are 7 and 12 and this is the first I've heard of it. It worked though, they had a snow day today. I'm definitely trying this next Tuesday. ;)

Those were people that were URM or MSU undergrad students. Idk, maybe since you are OOS? I am not saying everyone with a 28 has been accepted, just that I am pretty certain they hold their standard for MCAT a little higher. Granted I know people that had miserable MCATs that got accepted through their deferred admission process last year. Sadly, those people with crapMCATs are now taking spots for this cycle

Wow...really??

I know plenty of people who are non URM nor MSU grads that made it into my class with an MCAT 23-25; I know of at least one who had much less than that. MSUCOM looks at your ENTIRE application. Dean Strample has said many times there are people accepted with very very low MCATs just like there are some with very high MCATs (and people from both ends of the spectrum have dropped out of our class--as they will for yours--for various reasons).

Some of the people you speak of with "crapMCATs" are at the HIGHEST percentile in our class, and are absolutely brilliant. Admissions understands that MCAT scores don't define their applicants and make a point to look beyond that. Once you get to school, no one cares about each others scores anyway; they are meaningless.

I understand this is a frustrating process, but the obnoxious vibe you're giving off isn't going to fly especially w/ future colleagues or if you reflected it in your personal statement. A simple MCAT score hardly makes one person more deserving of an acceptance than another. COM values students that have the "whole package" because they're the ones that are going to make great physicians.

Oh, and if you do get in and happen to do great on every single exam--that's awesome, but don't be the one that obnoxiously lets everybody know it. Most everyone gets along great with each other and you don't want to be one of the very few people avoid even talking to because they find your personality or your blanket statements offensive.

Sorry for the rant...but seriously...get rid of the misconceptions and don't place so much weight on MCAT scores. Don't be obnoxious...we don't like it :) You don't want to be alone in med school...most of us stay motivated through each other.

To everyone else: Congrats to those joining the MSUCOM family--feel free to PM me w/ any questions :) For those still in the waiting game, keep your hopes high regardless of your stats! If your application is strong OVERALL then it's worth keeping those fingers crossed! Good luck on the rest of the cycle---there are people admitted up until orientation so don't give up!

Wow...really??

I know plenty of people who are non URM nor MSU grads that made it into my class with an MCAT 23-25; I know of at least one who had much less than that. MSUCOM looks at your ENTIRE application. Dean Strample has said many times there are people accepted with very very low MCATs just like there are some with very high MCATs (and people from both ends of the spectrum have dropped out of our class--as they will for yours--for various reasons).

Some of the people you speak of with "crapMCATs" are at the HIGHEST percentile in our class, and are absolutely brilliant. Admissions understands that MCAT scores don't define their applicants and make a point to look beyond that. Once you get to school, no one cares about each others scores anyway; they are meaningless.

I understand this is a frustrating process, but the obnoxious vibe you're giving off isn't going to fly especially w/ future colleagues or if you reflected it in your personal statement. A simple MCAT score hardly makes one person more deserving of an acceptance than another. COM values students that have the "whole package" because they're the ones that are going to make great physicians.

Oh, and if you do get in and happen to do great on every single exam--that's awesome, but don't be the one that obnoxiously lets everybody know it. Most everyone gets along great with each other and you don't want to be one of the very few people avoid even talking to because they find your personality or your blanket statements offensive.

Sorry for the rant...but seriously...get rid of the misconceptions and don't place so much weight on MCAT scores. Don't be obnoxious...we don't like it :) You don't want to be alone in med school...most of us stay motivated through each other.

To everyone else: Congrats to those joining the MSUCOM family--feel free to PM me w/ any questions :) For those still in the waiting game, keep your hopes high regardless of your stats! If your application is strong OVERALL then it's worth keeping those fingers crossed! Good luck on the rest of the cycle---there are people admitted up until orientation so don't give up!

Whoa, Dean Strample and the admissions committee also removed the option of 'delayed acceptance' and that will almost rule out those non-URMs with low MCATs. I don't care what anyone's scores are so long as they get in. Once there, I know everyone is on level ground. I am just relaying what I was told by com advisers and from what I have seen here. I know that sdn is not the entire class and definitely should not be what everyone follows, but this is the trend from what I have seen here. I have plenty of bright friends who have been accepted into com with 21-24 and they will make better physicians than many of my friends at allopathic schools with 35+ scores. Don't think too much about my post, I am just trying to understand the logic of the admissions committee and this whole taxing process.

Whoa, Dean Strample and the admissions committee also removed the option of 'delayed acceptance' and that will almost rule out those non-URMs with low MCATs. I don't care what anyone's scores are so long as they get in. Once there, I know everyone is on level ground. I am just relaying what I was told by com advisers and from what I have seen here. I know that sdn is not the entire class and definitely should not be what everyone follows, but this is the trend from what I have seen here. I have plenty of bright friends who have been accepted into com with 21-24 and they will make better physicians than many of my friends at allopathic schools with 35+ scores. Don't think too much about my post, I am just trying to understand the logic of the admissions committee and this whole taxing process.

Hmmm...your statement that "sadly those people with crapMCAT scores are now taking spots for this cycle" seems to suggest otherwise--as if those with crapMCAT scores shouldn't be. Just making the point that MCATs are really not THE most important thing admissions looks at--as stressed by Stramps and Katie Molina, among others. Not everyone that was given the delayed acceptance option was placed on that list for a low MCAT either. I can't say enough how much they look at the entire package.

For those that aren't aware...apps initially rejected by the adcom are actually placed on Dean Strample's desk and he goes through each file one by one---if he sees potential in those files and believes that individual would succeed, he gives them a shot. This is also sometimes why it may take a little longer to hear back...so really, stay hopeful. If it was just a numbers thing, he wouldn't bother.

It's fine to try to understand the logic behind the process...that's normal. Just be a bit more cognizant of what you say...alienating potential future colleagues w/ "crapMCAT" scores isn't the best way to go.

Agreed that perhaps 'crapMCATs' may not have been the most appropriate way to put it.

I do think the MCAT's are a huge factor in determining our admission, however. The only difference between my application last year and this year is a couple points on my MCAT. With the difference in my scores I went from being promptly rejected last year with an early application and waitlisted this year with a late application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...your statement that "sadly those people with crapMCAT scores are now taking spots for this cycle" seems to suggest otherwise--as if those with crapMCAT scores shouldn't be. Just making the point that MCATs are really not THE most important thing admissions looks at--as stressed by Stramps and Katie Molina, among others. Not everyone that was given the delayed acceptance option was placed on that list for a low MCAT either. I can't say enough how much they look at the entire package.

For those that aren't aware...apps initially rejected by the adcom are actually placed on Dean Strample's desk and he goes through each file one by one---if he sees potential in those files and believes that individual would succeed, he gives them a shot. This is also sometimes why it may take a little longer to hear back...so really, stay hopeful. If it was just a numbers thing, he wouldn't bother.

It's fine to try to understand the logic behind the process...that's normal. Just be a bit more cognizant of what you say...alienating potential future colleagues w/ "crapMCAT" scores isn't the best way to go.

Agreed that perhaps 'crapMCATs' may not have been the most appropriate way to put it.

I do think the MCAT's are a huge factor in determining our admission, however. The only difference between my application last year and this year is a couple points on my MCAT. With the difference in my scores I went from being promptly rejected last year with an early application and waitlisted this year with a late application.

Well, at least you can sympathize and understand the frustration. People that have done just about everything they can are now being overtaken by others who had lower statistics and arguably similar or slightly more unique extracurriculars or circumstances in their lives. I know that statistics are meaningless, but they include 4 to 6 or even 8 years of work. To have a gpa of, say 0.2 greater, than the next guy over that long of a period should also show you something and the same goes for this useless exam. I know brilliant kids who couldn't break a 24, even on their 3rd attempt, but the statistics should at least hint at a greater potential to do well. I said hint, because I know there are plenty of outliers, especially in strong osteo schools like MSU. It is a frustrating process, so I try and rationalize what is happening on the other end of it, maybe too harshly.

Sorry I've looked through the thread a little but was just hoping someone could give me a quick answer to my questions. I'm looking at applying here in June for next cycle. I saw somewhere here that they expect 850+ volunteer hours. Is this strictly volunteer hours, or does it count work hours as well? And also, does it date back to high school volunteer hours? I have some decent ECs, but no where close to 850 hours. I have a ton of work experiences though. Are they very strict on the 850, or can other factors (GPA, MCAT, etc) offset this? Anything else I should know? Thanks!

The 850 hours people are referring to is strictly volunteer. There are other separate forms/hour counts for extra curricular activities and also work hours. It all dates back to high school. I'd say 850 is what they recommend, but if u have a good gpa, MCAT and or letters it could potentially offset lower volunteer hours. They do seem to care a lot about volunteering though.

The 850 hours people are referring to is strictly volunteer. There are other separate forms/hour counts for extra curricular activities and also work hours. It all dates back to high school. I'd say 850 is what they recommend, but if u have a good gpa, MCAT and or letters it could potentially offset lower volunteer hours. They do seem to care a lot about volunteering though.

Thanks for your help! As a follow up - and this is probably a dumb question - but any idea if having a ton of volunteer hours last minute (like april/may before submitting application) will look bad?

Thanks for your help! As a follow up - and this is probably a dumb question - but any idea if having a ton of volunteer hours last minute (like april/may before submitting application) will look bad?

It's not a stupid question; I actually have no idea. When i talked to an admissions counselor I was told they go all the way back to high school because they like to see a history of volunteering. So I don't know if more recent work would HURT you, but going from nothing to everything very recently could be a red flag. I'm honestly not sure though. Maybe an accepted person can chime in!

Does anyone know the tuition costs for summer 2013? I can't find it at all! It keeps taking me to CHM budget sheet and I don't know if they're the same. I am living with parents so their budget plan isn't much help. Thank you

I got accepted today! I guess the Wednesday rule does not apply once they start accepting people off the wait list.

Hey does anyone know whether the Facebook group is a good indication if the actual class size? I can't tell because it seems like a reasonable estimate (at about 200 now) but last year's group has something like 390 people so I don't know what happened there haha

Hey does anyone know whether the Facebook group is a good indication if the actual class size? I can't tell because it seems like a reasonable estimate (at about 200 now) but last year's group has something like 390 people so I don't know what happened there haha
I don't think it is a good indication of class size because it looks like there are many current COM students that are members as well.

I don't think it is a good indication of class size because it looks like there are many current COM students that are members as well.

Ok so that would mean that the actual number is smaller than what the Facebook group number is, if I'm understanding correctly? Which would also explain why the previous facebook group class size is way bigger than 300

Last edited:
I wonder how possible it is to get reassigned to East Lansing from Macomb.

Our group is much larger than the number of people in our class. We have some people from the class of 2015, mostly class eboard members and eboard members from other groups. I think there were some people who were accepted and differed or chose another school also.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Oh ok cool. I wasn't sure about that so thanks for the insight, very helpful

Hey guys, what's the link to the facebook group?? Thanks

Could someone tell me definitively what the 850 hour mark is? Is this strictly volunteer hours, or is it volunteer + other ECs, or is it everything you've done outside of academia including paid employment? Thanks for the help!

So it's Wednesday and first one of March.. Maybe some wait list movement today.. Being hopeful good luck all waitin

Could someone tell me definitively what the 850 hour mark is? Is this strictly volunteer hours, or is it volunteer + other ECs, or is it everything you've done outside of academia including paid employment? Thanks for the help!

I answered this same question on this thread not even a page ago :)

I answered this same question on this thread not even a page ago :)

Thank you!! I was reading the discussion about this several pages back and many people posted with conflicting answers. Also, are they looking for any and all hours that we spent doing something for which we weren't paid or do they expect us to hit this 850 with only things that were ongoing "for a year or more" (quoted portion stated on their website).

Yawn. I guess nobody heard anything? I really want to hear a response from MSU. I have applied to like 10 other D.O. schools, and including MSU, they all keep saying that my application is in review. I've been complete since September. They also said that their interview cycles end next week - end of March. I want to hear something back now. :mad: and it better not be a rejection. :thumbup:

Yawn. I guess nobody heard anything? I really want to hear a response from MSU. I have applied to like 10 other D.O. schools, and including MSU, they all keep saying that my application is in review. I've been complete since September. They also said that their interview cycles end next week - end of March. I want to hear something back now. :mad: and it better not be a rejection. :thumbup:

still waiting for here, pcom, and nsu.

merp.

Didn't want to wade through all the past threads, so if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Is it common for someone to get accepted to MSU COM with a 29 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, but less than 400 hours of volunteering (undergrad and high school combined)? I have some decent ECs, lots of work experience, but my volunteer hours are very below their desired.... thanks for your help, just trying to get a gauge on where I should apply to this summer!

4.0? Retake the MCAT and apply to some MD schools also.

Didn't want to wade through all the past threads, so if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Is it common for someone to get accepted to MSU COM with a 29 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, but less than 400 hours of volunteering (undergrad and high school combined)? I have some decent ECs, lots of work experience, but my volunteer hours are very below their desired.... thanks for your help, just trying to get a gauge on where I should apply to this summer!

Yes I had less than 400 hours and was accepted with a 3.5 and 31 MCAT.

Hi everyone. I got accepted off the waitlist on 3/04 via email. For those of you who are waiting, just be patient! The waitlist seems to be moving so keep your hopes high :) I have been complete since 11/19 and got the alternate offer on 1/10. If anyone is curious I'm IS, 30 MCAT, 3.7 GPA and a good amount of research and volunteering.

Now for my question. I'm sorry if it's already been answered, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could me out so I don't have to scroll through 31 pages :) MSU-COM sent their paperwork which includes an "Admissions Agreement" that is due by April 4. If I sign it and send it in, does that mean I have to attend? Is it possible to "hold" a seat at MSU-COM?

Hi everyone. I got accepted off the waitlist on 3/04 via email. For those of you who are waiting, just be patient! The waitlist seems to be moving so keep your hopes high :) I have been complete since 11/19 and got the alternate offer on 1/10. If anyone is curious I'm IS, 30 MCAT, 3.7 GPA and a good amount of research and volunteering.

Now for my question. I'm sorry if it's already been answered, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could me out so I don't have to scroll through 31 pages :) MSU-COM sent their paperwork which includes an "Admissions Agreement" that is due by April 4. If I sign it and send it in, does that mean I have to attend? Is it possible to "hold" a seat at MSU-COM?
Sure, you can "hold" your seat by sending a non-refundable deposit of $750. This information is in the packet they sent you.

Ah! Your profile sounds so great! After reading it I have to feel like I am never getting in!!! Please tell me you're Canadian or something????

Aside from that, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! - I say that as I am green with envy........

Ah! Your profile sounds so great! After reading it I have to feel like I am never getting in!!! Please tell me you're Canadian or something????

Aside from that, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! - I say that as I am green with envy........

They say they are IS in their post.

Missed that the first time (saw it after I posted) but my Canadian comment was more of a joke anyway - meant to communicate my anxiousness and desperation. Trying to have a little humor about an otherwise very stressful situation. Apologies if it just came across as sheer stupidity.

Hey all, I got the email for the April 12th open house this morning and it says you're able to "check up on your application". Do you think they'll disclose wait list position?

Hey all, I got the email for the April 12th open house this morning and it says you're able to "check up on your application". Do you think they'll disclose wait list position?

I was wondering the exact same thing.