MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear that DrMeows I was rooting for You. At least You know now not in late April.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a huge bummer Dr. Meow, you sounded like you would have been an awesome classmate. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Hello guys,

I've been accepted to MSUCOM and I'm looking for a potential housemate to live with once school starts in East Lansing. I will be living in a very nice house located just north of campus (about a mile from Fee Hall). The lease will be $530/month with ALL utilities and is a great deal being offered by family friends. It is a three bedroom & 2.5 bathroom home that is fully furnished (except bedrooms). The house is equipped with a dishwasher and laundry machine. It is a very well-kept place and in a great location, and if you know the area, you'll know that the price is very good. My friend and I are interested in meeting a suitable roommate that we think we will get along with.

Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested!

Take care, and best of luck to those waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does MSUCOM give accepted applicants a deadline by which to make a decision for admission? I'd imagine they do, just wanna make sure

After 6 1/2 months, finally got an answer from MSUCOM. Rejected. Disappointed because I was so proactive with my application. I got 6 DO interviews, but no love from my only state school. :thumbdown: ah well, just being bitter. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to all those that get to go to msu next year!

Sorry to hear DrMeows, I'm happy that you got into other schools though! :D Did you get an email or a letter in the mail? I have been completed since August and have heard nothing.

That's a huge bummer. :(
I thought you would have made a great classmate.

I am happy that you will still be going to medical school next year. :)

Sorry to hear that DrMeows I was rooting for You. At least You know now not in late April.

That's a huge bummer Dr. Meow, you sounded like you would have been an awesome classmate. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Sorry to hear DrMeows, I'm happy that you got into other schools though! :D Did you get an email or a letter in the mail? I have been completed since August and have heard nothing.

Thanks for all the support guys :) and ddd15 I got a letter in the mail. It was dated last thursday so it took a few days to get to me. Good thing I got it because I almost emailed another update :( THAT woulda been awkward...

Thanks for all the support guys :) and ddd15 I got a letter in the mail. It was dated last thursday so it took a few days to get to me. Good thing I got it because I almost emailed another update :( THAT woulda been awkward...

Sorry about your luck Dr. Meow. Look on the bright side, you're still gonna b a doctor!!

Dr,Meows, The bottom line is :You are in!!!

Last edited:
After 6 1/2 months, finally got an answer from MSUCOM. Rejected. Disappointed because I was so proactive with my application. I got 6 DO interviews, but no love from my only state school. :thumbdown: ah well, just being bitter. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to all those that get to go to msu next year!

Hey thanks for sticking to this thread and giving hope to those of us who are still waiting to hear something. :thumbup:

sorry to hear that! but it's great that you'll still be a doctor :thumbup:

Sorry about your luck Dr. Meow. Look on the bright side, you're still gonna b a doctor!!

Dr,Meows, The bottom line is :You are in!!!

Hey thanks for sticking to this thread and giving hope to those of us who are still waiting to hear something. :thumbup:

sorry to hear that! but it's great that you'll still be a doctor :thumbup:

Thank you all! This thread has been more than supportive of me :) I appreciate it!

I was rejected in the same way Dr. Meows was recently. IS, 3.7 overall /3.5 science /25mcat (7-8-10). Complete in November. 4000 plus work and volunteering, research. LoR from my lab PI who is MSU alum, and a DO I volunteered with and shadowed for with special olympics.

Just wanted to give as much info as possible, good luck to the rest of you waiting! I think mcat or B- in biochem may have sealed my fate. I met with them about my app early summer and it was mentioned they want high marks in all upper level sciences.

Last edited:
I was rejected in the same way Dr. Meows was recently. IS, attended MSU 2 years, 3.7 overall /3.5 science /25mcat (7-8-10). Complete in November. 4000 plus work and volunteering, research. LoR from my lab PI who is MSU alum, and a DO I volunteered with and shadowed for with special olympics.

Just wanted to give as much info as possible, good luck to the rest of you waiting! I think mcat or B- in biochem may have sealed my fate. I met with them about my app early summer and it was mentioned they want high marks in all upper level sciences.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you have had some good news at other schools. My guess would be MCAT because I thought I read somewhere about a minimum 8 in each category at MSUCOM. I'm not sure if that was a mandatory or suggested number. If its mandatory it seems like they would have told you about the cut off when you met with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that. I hope you have had some good news at other schools. My guess would be MCAT because I thought I read somewhere about a minimum 8 in each category at MSUCOM. I'm not sure if that was a mandatory or suggested number. If its mandatory it seems like they would have told you about the cut off when you met with them.

Thanks! There are requirements for mcat, mine were all within the range though, they were different numbers for all sun scores although I forget the exact breakdown it's online

Thanks! There are requirements for mcat, mine were all within the range though, they were different numbers for all sun scores although I forget the exact breakdown it's online

Yeah, I must have been reading something else, I found 6,6,8 as the minimums listed in the CIB. Maybe 8 and above was something they said to shoot for.

I was rejected in the same way Dr. Meows was recently. IS, attended MSU 2 years, 3.7 overall /3.5 science /25mcat (7-8-10). Complete in November. 4000 plus work and volunteering, research. LoR from my lab PI who is MSU alum, and a DO I volunteered with and shadowed for with special olympics.

Ugh I'm sorry to hear that :( good news is you're going to be successful and getting your MD, so a rejection from any school at this point should be taken with a grain of salt :D

Who is going to be there Friday? How are we supposed to dress?

Who is going to be there Friday? How are we supposed to dress?

When I went most people were casual to business casual. There were maybe a couple in full blown suits but ultimately the atmosphere was pretty relaxed. The students are the only ones you're really one on one with and they're all casually dressed. I went business casual and felt right at home

Hi All,

I just joined studentdoc but I've been reading posts on here for years. I have a quick question. I am on the alternate list at MSUCOM. I have a 28 MCAT and 3.63 GPA. I would have thought I had a decent shot at MSUCOM, but I had a LOT of trouble with my second recommendation. I contacted the admissions office to try to see where I stand and couldn't get any information.

I really want to go to MSUCOM but I've been accepted to a few other schools and need to start deciding where to funnel my deposit money. Would anyone who has recently been taken from alternate to accepted be willing to share their MCAT/GPA and response timeline with me? I would really appreciate any info you're willing to share. :)

P.S. I will be at MSU this Friday for the campus tour as well! Can't wait!

The GPA/mcat really doesn't tell you where you stand. But maybe they will give us a little better idea on Friday so we can have an idea about saving our deposit money for msucom.

I am also worried about having to pay more than one deposit while I am still on a waitlist.

Do they give us any additional info about our standing on Friday? Is there any way to find out where we stand?
I really do want to go to MSUCOM but I'm not made of money. Once I make that deposit, I'm committed.

Do they give us any additional info about our standing on Friday? Is there any way to find out where we stand?
I really do want to go to MSUCOM but I'm not made of money. Once I make that deposit, I'm committed.

They at least told us that there was only one waitlist this year as opposed to two, which seems to have been the standard for every year until now. I went back in November and they were VERY tight lipped about the one waitlist and how to know where you stand.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned something about knowing when/if you're in the top 10 by sometime in April? I have no idea how that works though.

When I went it was still relatively early I guess so I say go for it on friday and ask them about where you are on the list because you have a right to know, especially if you're holding onto other offers. It just gets silly. Why shouldn't we be allowed to know where we are on the list? What possible detriment would hat imply for them? I can't say I understand it.

They at least told us that there was only one waitlist this year as opposed to two, which seems to have been the standard for every year until now. I went back in November and they were VERY tight lipped about the one waitlist and how to know where you stand.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned something about knowing when/if you're in the top 10 by sometime in April? I have no idea how that works though.

When I went it was still relatively early I guess so I say go for it on friday and ask them about where you are on the list because you have a right to know, especially if you're holding onto other offers. It just gets silly. Why shouldn't we be allowed to know where we are on the list? What possible detriment would hat imply for them? I can't say I understand it.

Yes, they did say end of April to beginning of May they would be able to tell us if we were in the top ten.

I think that the main reason they have not told us so far has to do with the fact that not every file had been reviewed so they did not want to tell someone, you are in the top ten and then end up bumping them down to number 11 if someone else had a better application.

I know another school that is similar. They tell you wait list at first and eventually in April or May they give you an idea of where you stand. That works okay for MD schools because we are talking about 100 dollar refundable deposits and for DO schools most of the deposits I have seen are 1000-2000 dollars and non-refundable. I don't know about the rest of you, but I highly suspect that most of us cannot afford to throw out 2000 dollars to one school while we are hoping to get off a wait list at another school.

I hope we have a better idea soon so that it does not become financially complicated for all of us.

Yes, they did say end of April to beginning of May they would be able to tell us if we were in the top ten.

I think that the main reason they have not told us so far has to do with the fact that not every file had been reviewed so they did not want to tell someone, you are in the top ten and then end up bumping them down to number 11 if someone else had a better application.

I know another school that is similar. They tell you wait list at first and eventually in April or May they give you an idea of where you stand. That works okay for MD schools because we are talking about 100 dollar refundable deposits and for DO schools most of the deposits I have seen are 1000-2000 dollars and non-refundable. I don't know about the rest of you, but I highly suspect that most of us cannot afford to throw out 2000 dollars to one school while we are hoping to get off a wait list at another school.

I hope we have a better idea soon so that it does not become financially complicated for all of us.

Oh I guess I had just assumed that by now and especially if they were rejecting people that they weren't reviewing any more apps. But that would be a pretty recent development so I still say bring it up on Friday because you're right, that's a lot of money to be floating to more than one school...

They may be done reviewing apps but I think most schools do not rank the wait list until after they have filled all the seats, etc. obviously I'm not sure how MSUCOM does things but it makes sense to me that the first time through they would be looking for straight up acceptances. The second time through they would start ordering those on the wait list.

I sure hope someone brings it up on Friday.

They may be done reviewing apps but I think most schools do not rank the wait list until after they have filled all the seats, etc. obviously I'm not sure how MSUCOM does things but it makes sense to me that the first time through they would be looking for straight up acceptances. The second time through they would start ordering those on the wait list.

Yeah I gotcha. It's encouraging though then that they've already started taking people from the wait list!

The GPA/mcat really doesn't tell you where you stand.

What kind of gauge, if any, should/could I use? Since they don't supply any info, I'm trying to do some figuring myself. I really don't want to give $3000 to my second choice school when I'm going to desperately need it for MSUCOM.

What kind of gauge, if any, should/could I use? Since they don't supply any info, I'm trying to do some figuring myself. I really don't want to give $3000 to my second choice school when I'm going to desperately need it for MSUCOM.

I know exactly what you mean. I hope we can gain some insight about how we should figure this out on Friday.

If your GPA/MCAT is at or above their average from last year, that is a good start. From there look at you ECs and think about your recommendations. How much have you volunteered? How much clinical experience do you have? How much research? What other activities have you participated in? Do you have any leadership experience? How much? Are your recommendations average, above average, excellent?

Those are the things that are going to determine how we rank on the wait list. Also, they will probably look at how we did in our pre-req courses. Did you get all As in all your pre-reqs? Did you get As and Bs? Or do you have some Cs in your pre-reqs?

Me too, haven't heard anything yet.... Loosing hope...

I know the waitlist IS moving. A student was pulled off the waitlist today in school. I am not sure of any of the stats :/ but there is movement. Stay hopeful guys!

Apparently, there will be a cap of 150 for the waitlist and people are pulled off based on their point system

Apparently, there will be a cap of 150 for the waitlist and people are pulled off based on their point system

Interesting... So I wonder if they already capped it and the 150 is set and chosen. I'd imagine so since they've already started taking people off of it.

Last edited:
If anyone is still waiting to hear back, I can tell you that I was recently put on the waitlist after being complete since early November. Not hearing a peep for 3 months was a little unnerving, but I am revealed to hear back. I won't put too much stock into my chances of coming off the waitlist, but fingers crossed they still give high-waitlist offers for 2018's class (even though they took away that designation).
Stats for the curious: 26 MCAT, 3.6 SC GPA, 3.7 Overall, average extracurriculars from what I've read on here, IS

If anyone is still waiting to hear back, I can tell you that I was recently put on the waitlist after being complete since early November. Not hearing a peep for 3 months was a little unnerving, but I am revealed to hear back. I won't put too much stock into my chances of coming off the waitlist, but fingers crossed they still give high-waitlist offers for 2018's class (even though they took away that designation).
Stats for the curious: 26 MCAT, 3.6 SC GPA, 3.7 Overall, average extracurriculars from what I've read on here, IS

Congrats! Will we see you Friday?

Yeah that would be pretty awesome.. I heard there was some reason they stopped the high wait list but I can't remember why exactly. Congrats though and good luck everyone in the next coming weeks!

I have a feeling they hold greater standards for the MCAT than anything since I know everyone with at least a 28 has been accepted, regardless of GPA. I am hoping they move down to 27 pretty soon

I have a feeling they hold greater standards for the MCAT than anything since I know everyone with at least a 28 has been accepted, regardless of GPA. I am hoping they move down to 27 pretty soon

I have a 28 and I have not heard anything from them yet.

I should add, I was complete in September. They have not contacted me at all.

Because you are Canadian. I was told at the meetings and by the dean that they have a limit of 30 (on the MCAT and # of students) for Canadian students. Sorry if this is the first time hearing it.

I'm not sure that is totally true.

I have more than 28, was complete first week of September, and only recently made the wait list.

If I remember correctly there have been some acceptances of people with less than 28 this cycle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then why don't they reject me already? I've been complete for so long :(

Because those Canadian students that have already been accepted may get in to other schools that they prefer and may drop. You would then fill that Canadian spot if you are next on the list. I feel bad for Canadian applicants when it comes to this because Canadian GPAs and MCATs are higher than American students

I'm not sure that is totally true.

I have more than 28, was complete first week of September, and only recently made the wait list.

If I remember correctly there have been some acceptances of people with less than 28 this cycle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Those were people that were URM or MSU undergrad students. Idk, maybe since you are OOS? I am not saying everyone with a 28 has been accepted, just that I am pretty certain they hold their standard for MCAT a little higher. Granted I know people that had miserable MCATs that got accepted through their deferred admission process last year. Sadly, those people with crapMCATs are now taking spots for this cycle

Because those Canadian students that have already been accepted may get in to other schools that they prefer and may drop. You would then fill that Canadian spot if you are next on the list. I feel bad for Canadian applicants when it comes to this because Canadian GPAs and MCATs are higher than American students

Well I guess that leaves me some hope.

I am not saying everyone with a 28 has been accepted, just that I am pretty certain they hold their standard for MCAT a little higher.

Ok, I see what you are saying. I agree that MSUCOM seems to put a larger emphasis on MCAT compared to some schools. I think that is something they are able to do because they have the reputation that draws many applicants.

Well I guess that leaves me some hope.

I felt just like you because I was complete around the same time as you. The process can be very long. I think that it probably takes longer to sort through us OOS and Canadian applicants because there are so many of us.

There is still hope and I would not be suprised if you hear back within the next couple weeks. It seems like they are finally making progress with all of us who have been waiting for so long.