MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the same boat as you! I applied several months ago with what I thought were also very good numbers and stats, but haven't heard a thing. What is even more frustrating is the fact that if you call or email, the secretaries don't even give you the time of day!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I just got waitlisted... as in not guaranteed acceptance class of 2014... I realize that my chances of getting in are slim at this point... but is there any way people from the normal waitlist get bumped up to the guaranteed acceptance for next year waitlist? Does anyone know how this works...? Someone please help :-\

Last edited:
Accepted 2013! :D Yayy great school.

Notified by email at 1:08pm yesterday. Secondary complete early November.

If you haven't heard back yet, keep your chin up...I thought they had lost my application or something because my letters of rec were late.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just got waitlisted... as in not guaranteed acceptance class of 2014... I realize that my chances of getting in are slim at this point... but is there any way people from the normal waitlist get bumped up to the guaranteed acceptance for next year waitlist? Does anyone know how this works...? Someone please help :-\

I'm in the same boat. I was waitlisted back in the fall. If I recall correctly, the email said that if we haven't gotten off the waitlist by May, to call and discuss our application. You can also call admissions and make an appointment to talk to one of the counselors now. That's what I did. I didn't think to ask if we could get bumped to the other waitlist though. Anyway, I have my fingers crossed and am hoping for the best.

Good luck!

I was in the nonguaranteed waitlist last year. I think there is no way MSUCOM will transfer a waitlisted to the guaranteed waitlist. You should set up an appt with one of the counselors and discuss improvements. I did just that. Every time you meet with the MSUCOM's staff, they note it down. they want to see that you do what they advise you to do and see that you're trying to improve your application. Don't give up hope.

I was in the nonguaranteed waitlist last year. I think there is no way MSUCOM will transfer a waitlisted to the guaranteed waitlist. You should set up an appt with one of the counselors and discuss improvements. I did just that. Every time you meet with the MSUCOM's staff, they note it down. they want to see that you do what they advise you to do and see that you're trying to improve your application. Don't give up hope.

Did you matriculate? Also, I am assuming while you were put on the waitlist that you were doing things to improve your application as it is, did the advisors suggest anything new for you to do?

Hey DanDan,

I got in Out of State in early November. :thumbup: I'm actually DO/PhD candidate too. I hail from South Florida :luck:. Quite a change in weather! haha Hope this helps answer some of your OOS questions.

Any other questions just holler! I'm off to work at the local charity clinic.

Has anyone on this forum received an OOS acceptance? or anyone have a friend that has got in OOS?

Everyone Else - what day is our White Coat ceremony? My parents are nagging me about it so they know when to buy a plane ticket. LOL :D

Anyone hear anything recently? I've been complete since Sept. so I'm thinking that if I haven't heard yet, I should probably forget about it?

For those of you who have been accepted: did you take them up on their offer to visit the school?

I will be there next week to interview for one of the PhD programs (I am applying DO/PhD) but wasn't able to schedule the med school visit, so I wanted to know what your impressions of the facilities and program were. Thanks!

ok the orientation is on the 25th of June. When does classes start though? what about the white coat ceremony?? I'm confused, I want to know so I can start making my summer arrangements.....any help would be great.

So does anyone know what the chances are of getting selected off of the non-priority alternate list in regards to this year. I am not sure about last year, but I am assuming this year will be some what different considering the extra 100 seats that are available. Anyone know anything?

ok the orientation is on the 25th of June. When does classes start though? what about the white coat ceremony?? I'm confused, I want to know so I can start making my summer arrangements.....any help would be great.

The white coat ceremony is on the 26th...i think they said at 3 pm? also school starts on the 30th. this is what i have heard but please correct me if i am wrong anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a waiting list offer today and told MSUCOM no thanks...they just took their sweet time, and it would have be 'superfluous' to give me an interview...i don't feel the love...

plus, would i have had a shot at EL if i ever got accepted...:-/

good luck to everyone else!

I got waitlisted too, guess AZCOM loves us more than MSUCOM lol

I might go visit though, even though AZCOM will be much warmer hehe

Makes sense to go visit, best of luck. I totally agree about azcom, you can work on your tan while you study...how awesome

Just got off the high priority wait list at about 2 today, any idea of how many people are wait listed to attend the East Lansing site?

Got a waiting list offer today and told MSUCOM no thanks...they just took their sweet time, and it would have be 'superfluous' to give me an interview...i don't feel the love...

Wait. That sounds a lot like their acceptance email. Did it say something about the "quality of your achievements and the completeness of your application materials"?

yeah yeah, but it def. said wait list, and i dont even have genetics pre-req done...i was going to take it this summer if i got in, and i'm not going to take it just for a small chance that i may get pulled off the list...

Did you actually check the box in the e-mail and e-mail them back? Or did you just respond saying no thank you?

Just got off the high priority wait list at about 2 today, any idea of how many people are wait listed to attend the East Lansing site?

Does this mean you were on the "guaranteed" waitlist for 2014? I am just wondering if they are pulling people off the guaranteed waitlist before sending notifications (acceptances/waitlists/rejections) to everyone who still has active applications.

Does this mean you were on the "guaranteed" waitlist for 2014? I am just wondering if they are pulling people off the guaranteed waitlist before sending notifications (acceptances/waitlists/rejections) to everyone who still has active applications.

Yeah I was on the waitlist with a guaranteed spot for 2014 if I did not get off it. I have a couple other friends still on the waitlist so I'm thinking I was pretty high up on it. East Lansing site just filled up about 2 weeks ago so I am thinking there is a good number of seats still available at the other sites so don't count yourself out yet :)

I still have not heard anything since my application was complete. I know that I am very competitive and also know of multiple students who have got admissions offers with worse grades, mcat, e.c., etc. Should I give up hope for COM?

how long have you been complete?

I still have not heard anything since my application was complete. I know that I am very competitive and also know of multiple students who have got admissions offers with worse grades, mcat, e.c., etc. Should I give up hope for COM?

This is from earlier posts. Does this still apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtsnz
?? The admissions counselor also told me that MSUCOM only interviews applicants who need areas of their application clarified...has anyone else heard this? When they placed me on the waitlist (darn late applications!) they said an interview was not necessary because my application was extremely strong. Anyone else getting this message?

That's true, few people get interviewed, and the majority seem to get accepted without one. MSUCOM has 2 waitlists, a high-priority one which guarantees you a seat the following year if you are not granted one during the current cycle, and a normal waitlist.

I also got that same message you did (a ton of people did), was accepted, and eventually withdrew.

Does anyone know if there has been any movement off the waitlist besides those who were waitlisted for a second review once fall grades were in?

Thanks

Does anyone know if there has been any movement off the waitlist besides those who were waitlisted for a second review once fall grades were in?

Thanks

I got off the waitlist and I wasn't on hold for fall grades. I was on the high priority waitlist with a guaranteed spot in the class of 2014.

Any movements between the sites? I have been on the waitlist for EL for a while.

I am not sure how they rank and review the applications. I heard back from them couple weeks after I was complete. 5 months is a long time.

It was October 2nd when all of my app items, including LORs, were complete and I haven't heard a single thing since.

Any movements between the sites? I have been on the waitlist for EL for a while.

I have been on the waitlist for about 3 weeks.. how long have you? The last I knew of people getting off the waitlist was the beginning of February.

About two weeks. I wish they give us ranking.

I have been on the waitlist for about 3 weeks.. how long have you? The last I knew of people getting off the waitlist was the beginning of February.

Hey Everyone,

I saw there were some people that had some questions about the schedule for orientation. Here is a link that has that schedule and a ton of other stuff including financial info:
http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/newstudent2013.html

On another topic, are there still people out there searching for roommates?

hey everyone1 does anyone know if I would get in trouble if I take a W in one of my class? The class doesn't even count towards anything, I just took it because I thought it would be interesting. It is my last semester before I go to MSUCOM, so I'm really not interested in getting burn out.

hey everyone1 does anyone know if I would get in trouble if I take a W in one of my class? The class doesn't even count towards anything, I just took it because I thought it would be interesting. It is my last semester before I go to MSUCOM, so I'm really not interested in getting burn out.

Of course I can't speak for the admissions committee, but if you are already accepted unconditionally I don't think they are going to give you any trouble about a W. If you are even slightly unsure, you should check with the adcom ASAP.

I was offered a spot on the waitlist this year and guaranteed for 2014, which is just fine with me. I figure I've waited this long, one more year is nothing. I have been complete since September and hadn't heard anything until today, so don't lose hope if you haven't gotten any news. Anyone else going to accept the class of 2014 offer without taking your chances with the waitlist this year?

I was on the waitlist w/ a guarantee spot for 2014. Then got pulled off March 4th (while on spring break in FL, ß that was crazy). I just got my site placement at Macomb which was not my preference. I was looking forward to EL, basically like everyone else. What are you guys going to do if you don't get your preferred site? I think I might defer for a year.

Any idea how long the waitlist for the East Lansing Site? Anyone??

I was on the waitlist w/ a guarantee spot for 2014. Then got pulled off March 4th (while on spring break in FL, ß that was crazy). I just got my site placement at Macomb which was not my preference. I was looking forward to EL, basically like everyone else. What are you guys going to do if you don't get your preferred site? I think I might defer for a year.

Any idea how long the waitlist for the East Lansing Site? Anyone??

I think I am in a similar spot, by virtue of taking so long to submit my acceptance paperwork. Based on all the messages about the EL waitlist, I have to assume it's long. Maybe you know this already,

"While you always have the option of deferring your admission to the next year, you will not be allowed to request a specific site or carry forward your site assignment to the subsequent year. Numbers of openings and allocation methodology for deferred admissions will be determined each September." (from the website)

In that case it seems like it may not be worth the chance to defer to get EL. After all, you'd only spend 2 years at DMC or Macomb anyway...

I think I am in a similar spot, by virtue of taking so long to submit my acceptance paperwork. Based on all the messages about the EL waitlist, I have to assume it's long. Maybe you know this already,

"While you always have the option of deferring your admission to the next year, you will not be allowed to request a specific site or carry forward your site assignment to the subsequent year. Numbers of openings and allocation methodology for deferred admissions will be determined each September." (from the website)

In that case it seems like it may not be worth the chance to defer to get EL. After all, you'd only spend 2 years at DMC or Macomb anyway...

This is all correct, but if you do decide to defer a year you will receive paperwork in September so I'm sure you will have the site of your choice. I got on the waitlist for EL third week in Feb. and am still waiting, currently at Macomb. Good luck to you guys, i'm sure the list is very long and there is a good chance we will remain at our current sites.

I visited the school recently. The admission director talked about this option. I do not remember the exact number but I think she said only 1/3 of the people who deferred will be able to change their site preference. She said they will do the selection randomly. Good luck.

Just wondring if anyone has heard anything today? Anymore waitlist movement?

Thanks!

Hey, does anyone know what number to call if I wanted to decline my acceptance? I was planning on attending but I got into my dream school recently so I thought I'd open up the spot ASAP so another person can take my spot as soon as possible too! Any idea? Also, should I write a letter or call? I want to do it in the most polite way possible, MSU COM has been great with keeping my updated and informed on everything and has already made me feel super welcome even though I'm hardly a student yet... good luck to all of you!

Hey everyone,

I literally just got an email saying I was put on the waitlist for MSUCOM class of 2013.

Anyway, can someone give me some advice, I have been accepted to CCOM and was planning on going there, but I am from Michigan and instate tuition for MSUCOM is much cheaper that out of state tuition for CCOM.

What are the odds that I will be accepted to CCOM? They said in the email that it can be as late as early June before I get accepted. I feel that since it's so late in the application cycle that there are probably a large number of students ahead of me on the waitlist. Am I wrong in assuming this?

I already found a place to live in Downers Groove (where CCOM) and made plans to go there....but now I get this news.....

HELP please....

Thanks,

Nick
user_online.gif
progress.gif

I think you can just send them a polite email. Honestly it is email which they respond to in the most timely manner.

So is the general consensus that if you are on the waitlist without a guaranteed spot for next year then you most likely will not get in this year? I was just put on the waitlist so I'm a little curious.

I was also just put on the waitlist of MSU-COM today for the Class of 2013... What should I do? What are my chances?

From what I know, if you're put on the waiting list, you will not be accepted this year. MSUCOM will enroll the gauranteed list before the regular waiting list. What you guys need to do is set up an appt with one of the counselors and work something up from there. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.