MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the situation for this year, but when I toured there last year, kathy said that roughly 70% of the people with the guaranteed spot for the following year, get accepted for the year that they applied.

Members don't see this ad.

3.7 science, 3.6 overall, 23N MCAT work 20+ hours a week as well as once a week with a DO doc for the past two years, good extracurriculars, leadership positions, good LOR

3.4 bcpm, 3.5 overall, 29n, 3 yr research + shadowing + volunteering

lets hope we both get in off the waitlist

I don't know the situation for this year, but when I toured there last year, kathy said that roughly 70% of the people with the guaranteed spot for the following year, get accepted for the year that they applied.

So if 70% of the ones with a guaranteed spot for the following year get in, then I assume the waitlisters who don't have a guaranteed spot for the following year have a chance? Do they go through the guaranteed spot waitlisters first before pulling people from the regular waitlist without the guarantee?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if 70% of the ones with a guaranteed spot for the following year get in, then I assume the waitlisters who don't have a guaranteed spot for the following year have a chance? Do they go through the guaranteed spot waitlisters first before pulling people from the regular waitlist without the guarantee?

From what I understand, thats correct. So it seems to be if you're not guaranteed a spot, then you probably won't get off the waitlist at all. Maybe this year it'll be different w/ their class size increase. who knows.

For those of you who are planning on attending MSUCOM or CHM, I have an inexpensive room to rent. Ive been accepted and am looking for a fellow clean, respectful, med-student roommate. I honestly dont check here often, so sending me an email would probably be best. Thanks!

[email protected]

I was just accepted to MSUCOM...why couldn't this have happened last week before i paid my $1000 deposit to CCOM??!!
I think they do a full refund if retracted within 3 days...or I hope so...
The in-state tuition is too good to pass up i've decided...specially compared to the 44K tuition at CCOM, 20K less/year??
yeah, i'll take that
still going to interview at PCOM since their tuition is pretty low too...and since I was very comitted to a summer community service organization for the upcoming summer.

looks like its MSUCOM for me
i was sooo sure for the last week that i'd be going to CCOM after waiting on MSUCOM for so long
well...heres to 4 more years at MSU!!

So I am kind of upset. I was really hoping to have these amazing grades to send into MSU before the first of the year so that I could possibly get an acceptance. BUT... I took this pathophysiology course and out of 84 people the professor gave ONE A. I worked really hard and I was ahead of the curve on every exam. The average on the exams was a 76% so I was hoping he would curve the class a little. He obviously didn't. Ugh that makes me sooo mad. Needless to say I ended up with a B+ in the course but I think I got A's in my two other courses. I am in a masters program, do you think I may still have a chance on getting accepted??

I have good LOR and a lot of volunteering but still I have not heard anything. :( What do you think my chances are?

So I am kind of upset. I was really hoping to have these amazing grades to send into MSU before the first of the year so that I could possibly get an acceptance. BUT... I took this pathophysiology course and out of 84 people the professor gave ONE A. I worked really hard and I was ahead of the curve on every exam. The average on the exams was a 76% so I was hoping he would curve the class a little. He obviously didn't. Ugh that makes me sooo mad. Needless to say I ended up with a B+ in the course but I think I got A's in my two other courses. I am in a masters program, do you think I may still have a chance on getting accepted??

I have good LOR and a lot of volunteering but still I have not heard anything. :( What do you think my chances are?

I am in a similiar boat, I think all we can do is be patient at this point. My friend didn't hear back till jan and he said that there is a lot of movement throughout the whole class up until june. Just keep working and do as much as you can to update with.

I am in a similar boat, I think all we can do is be patient at this point. My friend didn't hear back till jan and he said that there is a lot of movement throughout the whole class up until june. Just keep working and do as much as you can to update with.[/quot

Did you guys get any kind of confirmation that they have received your fall grades? I sent the email to them with my grade report at like 8 am December 17th,like the minute my last grade was posted, and I haven't heard if they got them or not. so today I resent it, to another email address, because I have two email addresses for MSUCOM admissions. I was hoping I'd be early sending them in so that I would be looked at the first week in Jan like the email said!

haha, you beat me to it, I was going to say happy holidays!

:)

anyone knows whether the admission office is open during the holidays?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office a few days before Christmas and they said that the admissions committee will not meet again until January 14, however I'm not sure if the actual admissions office is open before then.

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with contact information for a specific person in admissions. I turned in my secondary over a month ago and my application status still hasnt been updated since 10/29/08. The lady who picks up my calls at the office is very bitter and keeps telling me to check my status online. At this point I don't even know if everything has been received. If anyone has a secondary source that I can contact other than the general admissions email, #, that would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with contact information for a specific person in admissions. I turned in my secondary over a month ago and my application status still hasnt been updated since 10/29/08. The lady who picks up my calls at the office is very bitter and keeps telling me to check my status online. At this point I don't even know if everything has been received. If anyone has a secondary source that I can contact other than the general admissions email, #, that would be much appreciated! Thanks!

what kind of information are you trying to find exactly? They update their online system basically 10 days after they receive your materials. If on the appstatus site it says something is missing then go ahead and resend it.
If you are looking to find out whether your file has been reviewed, you wont unless you make an appt with one of the advisors and he/she tells you.
I'd recommend calling and making an appt with one of the advisors, just tell the lady on the phone you want to make and advising appt. you'll get one for about a month from now at the earliest.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody could comment on this:
I know MSUCOM has two waitlists, the priority one where they guarantee admission for next year, and the regular one.
From what I understand, they take people off of the priority waitlist first and then start taking people off of the regular waitlist.
If I am correct, I was wondering if anyone knew how many of the people got off of the regular waitlist last year, and essentially what my chances are.

Thanks.

I know people who were on the priority waitlist last year and didn't get in and will be enrolling for class of 2013. So I dont think any regular waitlist people got in. Or I guess thats what I'm assuming...

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody could comment on this:
I know MSUCOM has two waitlists, the priority one where they guarantee admission for next year, and the regular one.
From what I understand, they take people off of the priority waitlist first and then start taking people off of the regular waitlist.
If I am correct, I was wondering if anyone knew how many of the people got off of the regular waitlist last year, and essentially what my chances are.

Thanks.

I actually had two friends last year who were on the priority wait list who got in for that year as opposed to having to wait a year. One of those friends told me that about 70% of the priority wait list gets accepted for the year that they are actually wait listed for. Both of them were accepted pretty late, one in June actually. So I am not sure about the other wait list but the priority one does receive some consideration.

Did anybody who sent their fall grades in get an email from the adcom that they received their grades? I just want to make sure they got mine...

I don't get it. If only 70% of people from the priority wait list usually get in and no one from the regular wait list gets in, why bother having two lists? Why not just make the priority list the list since they won't get through all those people anyway?

I don't get it. If only 70% of people from the priority wait list usually get in and no one from the regular wait list gets in, why bother having two lists? Why not just make the priority list the list since they won't get through all those people anyway?

I have no clue, you would have to ask MSUCOM... but even then it is unclear. hhaha :p

Did anybody who sent their fall grades in get an email from the adcom that they received their grades? I just want to make sure they got mine...

nope, sent it twice and never got a confirmation. so hopefully they have it!!!

and to others: What is being said about the waitlists is true. So there is really no point to the "non priority" waitlist. They probably do it just in case something bizzarre happens and they get through all the priority waitlist (which i assume they keep fairly short if they get through 70% of it regularly)

because if you get on the priority waitlist you dont have to re-apply the following year, you are in automatically
not so if you are on the regular waitlist
basically priority waitlist means "if you had applied sooner, or of you were compared with another batch of applicants you would've got in"

nope, sent it twice and never got a confirmation. so hopefully they have it!!!

Yeah thanks, I faxed them and emailed them in, and I sent them to AACOMAS to update my application. Hopefully they will get one of those haha. I am sooo paranoid...

because if you get on the priority waitlist you dont have to re-apply the following year, you are in automatically
not so if you are on the regular waitlist
basically priority waitlist means "if you had applied sooner, or of you were compared with another batch of applicants you would've got in"

But if no one from the other list ever gets in, why have it? Just flat out reject those people.

I have a friend who just recently talked to one of the admissions counselors, and they told him that the class is still not full. The EL campus is close to full, and Detroit, and Macomb have plenty of spots left. They are planning on having the class full in about a month or so. They don't pull people off of either waitlist until the class is full.
So, because of the larger number of spots this year, they are not sure how it will work out. So basically they don't know if 70% of the priority waitlist will get accepted this year or 100% will. Also they don't know if they will have to pull people off of the regular waitlist.
...Everyone keep your fingers crossed...

can anyone help... I completed my secondary mid-October and still haven't heard anything. my stats are 3.1 sci gpa, 3.4 overall, 23 mcat, 950 hrs clinical volunteer, 900 hrs research, very strong LOR, and instate ... any clue??

how did you do in higher level science classes?
I know MSUCOM heavily scrutinizes biochem, physio and classes like those...

how did you do in higher level science classes?
I know MSUCOM heavily scrutinizes biochem, physio and classes like those...

biochm 3.5, medical microbiology 3.4, and presently taking immunology, gen microbiology, and histology

Last edited:
I have a friend who just recently talked to one of the admissions counselors, and they told him that the class is still not full. The EL campus is close to full, and Detroit, and Macomb have plenty of spots left. They are planning on having the class full in about a month or so. They don't pull people off of either waitlist until the class is full.
So, because of the larger number of spots this year, they are not sure how it will work out. So basically they don't know if 70% of the priority waitlist will get accepted this year or 100% will. Also they don't know if they will have to pull people off of the regular waitlist.
...Everyone keep your fingers crossed...

Thank you for the update. I heard something similar to that and my meeting with the counselor was at the begining of Dec. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

cagall, these stats are taken off the MSUCOM website. I know that science GPA is what MSUCOM looks at very closely, as mine was low before reapplying.

* For MSUCOM's incoming class, the overall science grade point average (GPA) is 3.6, up from 3.5 a year ago.

* The average Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score is above 26, up from last year's 25. Approximately 25 percent of the class has an MCAT score of 29 or higher.

cagall, these stats are taken off the MSUCOM website. I know that science GPA is what MSUCOM looks at very closely, as mine was low before reapplying.

* For MSUCOM’s incoming class, the overall science grade point average (GPA) is 3.6, up from 3.5 a year ago.

* The average Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score is above 26, up from last year’s 25. Approximately 25 percent of the class has an MCAT score of 29 or higher.

Do you mean about 26? Or 26 and above?

its from their site, they mean above 26 as in 26.2 or some decimal like that

Does MSU send out rejection E-mails or letters during the cycle or wait until classes are full?

they accept people with less than a 26. 23 here and i heard back in october. :)

yeah, i'm sure they do
i was just saying that 26 is the average
if you have below average mcat and gpa, chances are lower that you'll be accepted
and msu does focus more on sci GPA like I said above

Anyone else nervous/anxious/excited about tomorrow? According to the email, some of us on hold for grades are being re-evaluated today!

Good luck guys :luck:

Yeah, that's where I am too. Hopefully tomorrow will be an awesome day! Good luck everyone!

me too! Good luck everyone!!!:luck:

what was your sci and overall gpa if you don't mind me asking?

No problem :) overall was 3.7 science 3.6. i had a lot of clinical and volunteer hours but not as many research hours as you. hang in there. hopefully you'll hear back tomorrow!!

Good Luck Everyone!
Words of advice: if you do get put on the waitlist, contact MSUCOM and set up an advising appt immediately. See what they want you to improve so if you end up having to apply next year, you'll have time to fix your application before it is too late.

I was on hold for grades and just got the news. I was offered admission!!! Woohooo! I can't wait to start.

Josh :D

Status
Not open for further replies.