MSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on hold for grades as well and just got the good news :) BIG weight off the shoulders!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey People,

I'm an incoming 1st year DO/PhD student at MSU-COM.

I just wanted to give a shout out to all of you here that have stuck with it so much and killed their semesters with good grades and got their awesome acceptance recently. We're proud of you.

You guys rock! :cool: Seriously ... Way to go! :thumbup: Time for a big SDN smile and group-hug! :idea:

<cue crowd's awwwwww sound> :p --> Algo: "who touched my butt?" :confused:

lol

Cheers,

whao I got the admission offer email today too. I didn't want to get up because I readed the worst. It turned out to be fine. I made it through at last. Thought I was going to get accepted way back in September but ended up not so. 26S MCAT 3.6 GPA, 3.5 Sci GPA. I still had to go for an interview, and send in my fall grades. It was such a stressful semester. Anyways congratulation to everyone else who got in and see you there in June. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know if MSU sends out rejection e-mails/letters or do they wait until may?

Ahh every wednesday has made me so nervous now! Unfortunately didn't hear anything today either...I'm starting to get really frustrated- I've been complete since september and have good numbers, lots of volunteering and research experience so I'm not sure what's taking so long. Has anyone else waited a long time or know whats up?

Congrats to everyone that heard today though :). I'll keep waiting...

Ahh every wednesday has made me so nervous now! Unfortunately didn't hear anything today either...I'm starting to get really frustrated- I've been complete since september and have good numbers, lots of volunteering and research experience so I'm not sure what's taking so long. Has anyone else waited a long time or know whats up?

I asked Kathie a couple weeks ago when they would be letting people know, and she said their first meeting was today and it would depend on how many they got through. I thought she said that they'd let everyone know when their application was reviewed, but I could be wrong on that. So don't get discouraged...there's a good chance your grades weren't reviewed yet. Good luck!

I asked Kathie a couple weeks ago when they would be letting people know, and she said their first meeting was today and it would depend on how many they got through. I thought she said that they'd let everyone know when their application was reviewed, but I could be wrong on that. So don't get discouraged...there's a good chance your grades weren't reviewed yet. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Everytime I call, I seem to talk to people who are absolutely no help and just tell me to keep waiting along with everyone else.

Thanks for the info! Everytime I call, I seem to talk to people who are absolutely no help and just tell me to keep waiting along with everyone else.

We got that email at the beginning of the semester about not calling the adcom office. So I am afraid to call them but I also don't want them to think I don't care. I am not sure what to do. Should I just call to make sure they received my fall grades? I still have yet to hear anything :(

We got that email at the beginning of the semester about not calling the adcom office. So I am afraid to call them but I also don't want them to think I don't care. I am not sure what to do. Should I just call to make sure they received my fall grades? I still have yet to hear anything :(

I'd call if I were you. I mean, you have a specific question..so I think it's more legit than my vague status update out of desperation.

I am in the same boat as you. We just have to be patient, and yes congrats to everyone that heard something today :p

Lets just keep our fingers crossed.

all my paperwork and deposit is in
now to find a place to live..

Got accepted today after an interview ....

Just got in. what a weight off my shoulders, AND now I don't have to fly out to the other interview I have (although the weather would have been nice).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
jsut a question, they told me that i'm accepted for 2013, do i have the choice of deferring to 2014?

According to the website, they are pretty open to allowing deferments for many different reasons. I mean, it's my understanding that the people who get waitlisted are offered admitance for the next year so it seems like they are pretty liberal with it.

jsut a question, they told me that i'm accepted for 2013, do i have the choice of deferring to 2014?
I know a few people accepted to 2012 that deferred to 2013 without any problem. They will work with you.

another question, I got accepted for 2013 which means that I will start this july however i will be done only 3 years of my undergraduate degree with 97 credits. Should I defer a year to finish my degree or should i go in right now. Is there any benefit of finishing a degree when it comes to residencies? doing an extra year will mean more than $15000 on that extra year, so is it worth it?

Once you get any professional degree, no ones going to care about your undergrad. If you were able to get in with only 3 years and they're not forcing you to finish your degree, I would take it and run.

another question, I got accepted for 2013 which means that I will start this july however i will be done only 3 years of my undergraduate degree with 97 credits. Should I defer a year to finish my degree or should i go in right now. Is there any benefit of finishing a degree when it comes to residencies? doing an extra year will mean more than $15000 on that extra year, so is it worth it?

I would call them and make sure that is the case. Sometimes they want a final transcript. Call and double check to make sure you do not need to finish your degree. But i guess if you have all the requirements kudos to you! You must of had an amazing application, I have never heard of them accepting w/o undergrad degree.

I would call them and make sure that is the case. Sometimes they want a final transcript. Call and double check to make sure you do not need to finish your degree. But i guess if you have all the requirements kudos to you! You must of had an amazing application, I have never heard of them accepting w/o undergrad degree.

I won't be getting my degree until May, and I won't have all of my requirements until then either but I got accepted! As long as you have their requirements done and 90 credits before you matriculate they don't require a bachelors! Kinda nice, huh?

I won't be getting my degree until May, and I won't have all of my requirements until then either but I got accepted! As long as you have their requirements done and 90 credits before you matriculate they don't require a bachelors! Kinda nice, huh?

Yeah that is totally normal not to get your degree until right before you matriculate. I was referring to the other poster that said he would need to defer a year to finish his degree before he started medical school. That I think is rare. I have never heard of a medical school accepting you knowing you won't finish your undergrad degree before you start. Usually having a bachelors of some sort is required for medical school...

I am totally jealous of you and your acceptance to MSUCOM. I have been accepted to another school but still waiting on MSU which I always had my heart set on going to. I am waiting until the end of Feb and then I have to pay my other deposit to the other school in March. Then after that I should probably withdraw my other applications. :(

Yeah that is totally normal not to get your degree until right before you matriculate. I was referring to the other poster that said he would need to defer a year to finish his degree before he started medical school. That I think is rare. I have never heard of a medical school accepting you knowing you won't finish your undergrad degree before you start. Usually having a bachelors of some sort is required for medical school...

I am totally jealous of you and your acceptance to MSUCOM. I have been accepted to another school but still waiting on MSU which I always had my heart set on going to. I am waiting until the end of Feb and then I have to pay my other deposit to the other school in March. Then after that I should probably withdraw my other applications. :(

I am still waiting too and in a similiar boat considering I would love for nothing more than to go to MSUCOM. Question, if you were waitlisted garuanteed acceptance for next year would you take that and wait a year, or go to another school instead?

I am still waiting too and I was complete in Sept sometime...I dont know why it is taking so long!? I am also in-state so I thought that I would have gotten looked at by now....

I'm waiting as well. I was complete in OCT. Hopefully wednesday will hear good news

I am still waiting too and I was complete in Sept sometime...I dont know why it is taking so long!? I am also in-state so I thought that I would have gotten looked at by now....

I am in-state as well, and I am pretty sure that if we haven't heard anything back yet we have not been reviewed. Not to say that we should've been reviewed, but I just spoke with Terri today and she said that they won't be finished reviewing till April.

Hopefully you will hear back soon! I am still kind of in shock about my acceptance to be honest! I cannot believe it.

It is weird that MSUCOM doesn't require a bachelors degree. They are one of only a few schools, at least that I know, that don't.

I took your advice and emailed them. The admission advisor said that you don't need a degree, only 90 credits with the required courses. So basically I can start attending this June with 3 years of undergrad w no degree under my belt. That would be make me one of the youngest matriculants, I turn 21 in march.

has anyone picked DMC as thier preferred location?

Any acceptances yesterday (Wednesday)? Haven't seen much activity in the MSU forum for awhile now----does that mean admission offers are starting to die off?

The East Lansing campus is full, according to someone on the MSUCOM 2013 facebook group. I'm not sure how full the DMC/MCC campuses are, but I do know that you can still put yourself on a waiting list for East Lansing if you want to.

Please keep in mind that it is just the East Lansing campus that is full, and who knows - people may still withdraw/go to other schools.

In other words, do not give up!

The East Lansing campus is full, according to someone on the MSUCOM 2013 facebook group. I'm not sure how full the DMC/MCC campuses are, but I do know that you can still put yourself on a waiting list for East Lansing if you want to.

Please keep in mind that it is just the East Lansing campus that is full, and who knows - people may still withdraw/go to other schools.

In other words, do not give up!

Thanks for the encouragement! :p, Terri told me that they won't be finished till April so that is a good sign!

Hello there!

I recently got accepted to MSU-COM and am attending the campus information session in the near future. Since this is not an official interview, what exactly should be worn? I am female and was thinking of dress pants and a nice shirt. Is this too (in)formal?

Also, I am driving a fair distance to get there and I do not feel comfortable driving alone. The only other person to go with me is one of my parents and I just know they'll want to attend this event too (since one of them will be driving with me). Will this be awkward to have a significant other alongside me while I find out about what MSU-COM has to offer?? And has anybody every brought somebody alongside them as they took the tour/info sessions??

Input is appreciated!

Hello there!

I recently got accepted to MSU-COM and am attending the campus information session in the near future. Since this is not an official interview, what exactly should be worn? I am female and was thinking of dress pants and a nice shirt. Is this too (in)formal?

Also, I am driving a fair distance to get there and I do not feel comfortable driving alone. The only other person to go with me is one of my parents and I just know they'll want to attend this event too (since one of them will be driving with me). Will this be awkward to have a significant other alongside me while I find out about what MSU-COM has to offer?? And has anybody every brought somebody alongside them as they took the tour/info sessions??

Input is appreciated!

Hey Sidney,

Casual dress is fine. I'm a guy and I just wore khakis and a nice shirt, but with no tie. For a girl, I'm sure anything other than jeans would be fine.

As far as having your parents there - I haven't really seen that, but everything about the day is so laid back, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Are you going to East Lansing, Detroit Med. Center, or Macomb?

Hello there!

Input is appreciated!

there is an open house sometime in march where there is stuff for parents
but i dont think there is much for parents on the visit day, although it shouldn't be a problem if you bring em along

Hello there!

Input is appreciated!

There was a girl at my tour who brought her mom and it was not a big deal and she ate lunch with us it was fine don't worry about it

Thanks everyone for the input! I really appreciate it.

Are you going to East Lansing, Detroit Med. Center, or Macomb?

Until now I did not realize that there were two other locations to study. I would rather go to Detroit Medical Center, or Macomb since it is WAY closer to home I just assumed I was visiting East Lansing, maybe I'll give admissions a ring tomorrow and see what's up because the Southeast Michigan campuses are much more favourable (for me.) Did the request to visit the campus have a place to chose a location? If so, I must have missed it. hmmmm....

Yeah, I would call and see if you can set up a visit at DMC or MUC. East Lansing is full at this point any way.

Actually, the Southeast campuses may not even be ready yet. :confused:

Did the request to visit the campus have a place to chose a location?

If so, I must have missed it. hmmmm....

1. When are you going? I'll be there on the 10th of February. If so, look for the portly bearded gentleman who looks older than everybody else and say, "Hey, are you the dude from SDN? "

2. The site preference dealy came in the packet that they snail mailed you after your acceptance. You had your choice of 1 out of 3. I'm sure you'll be able to go DMC and the other site as I believe East Lansing is closed (from what someone said on here).

Take care and maybe I'll se you there.

Josh

Hey all,

I am in grad school at Wayne State's medical school (masters in basic medical science) but I work at the Kresge Eye Institute. The building is attached to old Hudsel (sp?) Hospital. Any way... That is where they are building some of the new classrooms for MSUCOM. I haven't actually seen the rooms but it is basically right across the street from the DMC and Scott hall where Wayne's med school is. It is in a pretty good location, lots of food nearby, and the building has a restaurant called You Name It Cafe, which has decent food. It also seems from the two years I have spent in Detroit to be a relatively safe area. I wouldn't suggest walking anywhere by yourself at night but you can access all the area hospitals by using the free shuttle. Seems to be a good place for the new campus. If anyone has any questions about the area I would be glad to help, although I do not know much the actual construction but I might be able to find out. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow that it is our lucky day!

1. When are you going? I'll be there on the 10th of February. If so, look for the portly bearded gentleman who looks older than everybody else and say, "Hey, are you the dude from SDN? "

2. The site preference dealy came in the packet that they snail mailed you after your acceptance. You had your choice of 1 out of 3. I'm sure you'll be able to go DMC and the other site as I believe East Lansing is closed (from what someone said on here).

Take care and maybe I'll se you there.

Josh

Hi! Yes I am going on Feb. 10th. So I will be there too. I just got my acceptance within the last week and have not received a package via snail mail yet. I will definitely keep my eyes open for it in the mail. Thanks for the heads up and take care!

whooaa, I thought MSU-COM REQUIRES an undergraduate degree to start?!??!

whooaa, I thought MSU-COM REQUIRES an undergraduate degree to start?!??!

Yeah, on the registar's site it says:

Completion of at least three years (90 semester or 135 term credits) of college training in a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting commission of higher education.

Students admitted to the College of Osteopathic Medicine without baccalaureate degrees but with 90 semester or 135 term credits of undergraduate work may elect to pursue a program leading to the Bachelor of Science degree. This degree may be earned by meeting the requirements of the University and completing satisfactorily the first year of the program of the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

I'm guessing that if someone doesn't have a degree and gets accepted, they are generally making up for it with other things on their application (grades, ECs, research, etc.)

Yeah, on the registar's site it says:

Completion of at least three years (90 semester or 135 term credits) of college training in a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting commission of higher education.

Students admitted to the College of Osteopathic Medicine without baccalaureate degrees but with 90 semester or 135 term credits of undergraduate work may elect to pursue a program leading to the Bachelor of Science degree. This degree may be earned by meeting the requirements of the University and completing satisfactorily the first year of the program of the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

I'm guessing that if someone doesn't have a degree and gets accepted, they are generally making up for it with other things on their application (grades, ECs, research, etc.)

That clip from their website is so vague!

Can someone here please answer the question:

Do you need an undergraduate degree to start medical school at Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine or as long as you have 90 credits, and have fulfilled the requirements, you are good to go?

I did specifically email MSU to ask about the 90 credit requirement since i will have 94 credits by the end of this semestor. This is what i recieved back,
"First of all, congratulations on your offer of admission. As for your questions, let me begin with our policy. You can find it on our Admissions web page under requirements for Admission. We do not require that a candidate have completed their degree. We do require that they have completed at least 90 semester credits and these credits must include our required courses in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, English and Behavioral Science. Most of our students will have completed their degree, but one is not required."
this was from one of the admissions advisors.

I did specifically email MSU to ask about the 90 credit requirement since i will have 94 credits by the end of this semestor. This is what i recieved back,
"First of all, congratulations on your offer of admission. As for your questions, let me begin with our policy. You can find it on our Admissions web page under requirements for Admission. We do not require that a candidate have completed their degree. We do require that they have completed at least 90 semester credits and these credits must include our required courses in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, English and Behavioral Science. Most of our students will have completed their degree, but one is not required."
this was from one of the admissions advisors.

Holy Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamal,

are you planning on entering MSU-COM without finishing your degree?

Has anyone on this forum received an OOS acceptance? or anyone have a friend that has got in OOS?

Hello there!

Input is appreciated!

I brought both of my parents and had to notify ahead of time. They have limited space each day, so if mom comes call admissions first.

I asked a couple of people whether I should finish my degree or not, they said if you have the opportunity right now, just take it. So answering your question, yes i will attend msu w/o finishing my degree

Holy Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamal,

are you planning on entering MSU-COM without finishing your degree?

Anyone know if they're still handing out acceptances? I applied a loooong time ago with good numbers (I think at least!) and was kind of counting on this school, so I'm surprised I haven't heard anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.