~~~MSU CHM Class of 2012~~~Come on in!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2008orbust

OLDER THAN YOU!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to CHM and congrats on your acceptance!

Please post a little info about yourself and we will start to get to know our classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

MY name is James. I am 33 and currently work as an NP. I am married and have two toddlers.

Hopefully I'll be in this group next year, but even though I'm not quite there yet I decided your thread is a little lonely. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
gee, thanks :laugh:. I was hoping MSU might let a few people in on the 15th. It's been lonely out here in EDP land.

xpinchx, good luck next year, and feel free to lurk, post, whatever.

-

Last edited:
I have been trying to find out. I do know 2 other EDPs that are on hold, but that is all I know.

do you know how long it takes to hear back from schools

every schol is different. It seems MSU is calling every other (or so) Tuesday night. ????

Hey James, I got accepted last Tuesday night so it looks like I will be joining you next year. I am finishing my bachelors at MSU this year. I love the school, and I think I'll enjoy spending more time here. Are you from MI originally? Have you decided which of the community campuses you will choose?

Hey James, I got accepted last Tuesday night so it looks like I will be joining you next year. I am finishing my bachelors at MSU this year. I love the school, and I think I'll enjoy spending more time here. Are you from MI originally? Have you decided which of the community campuses you will choose?

hey leonidas, congrats! when did you interview? i got a call last tuesday, too, i was just curious if you were in my interview group (i was in the pm session 10/11).

hey leonidas, congrats! when did you interview? i got a call last tuesday, too, i was just curious if you were in my interview group (i was in the pm session 10/11).
Hey Suenos,
I was in the september 20th interview. Congrats to you too! Are you pretty sure taht you are going to MSU? Suenos means dreams right?

Hey Suenos,
I was in the september 20th interview. Congrats to you too! Are you pretty sure taht you are going to MSU? Suenos means dreams right?

msu is my #1 choice right now. i do have an upcoming interview at tulane and i'm mostly going just to satisfy my curiosity and experience new orleans for the first time. i just don't want to always wonder, what if that was the best school for me? but i'm almost positive that i will be going to msu - how about you?

p.s. yes, suenos = dreams (i.e. it's my dream to be a doc) you're the first one to ever ask!

msu is my #1 choice right now. i do have an upcoming interview at tulane and i'm mostly going just to satisfy my curiosity and experience new orleans for the first time. i just don't want to always wonder, what if that was the best school for me? but i'm almost positive that i will be going to msu - how about you?

p.s. yes, suenos = dreams (i.e. it's my dream to be a doc) you're the first one to ever ask!
I'm pretty much in the same boat. There is a small chance that I'll change my mind, but I'm almost certain that I'll go to MSU. Are you going to do the leadership in medicine or rural medicine program? Or do you know which community campus that you plan to transfer to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty much in the same boat. There is a small chance that I'll change my mind, but I'm almost certain that I'll go to MSU. Are you going to do the leadership in medicine or rural medicine program? Or do you know which community campus that you plan to transfer to?

i'm actually really interested in the leadership in medicine for the underserved program. i think i'm going to e-mail the contact person they gave us during interview day to get some more details on admission into that program. the student who interviewed me had been interested in the rural program and i think she said they didn't interview her until january, so it might be awhile til i hear more on that.. although it would be really nice to know sooner than later if i'm getting admitted, cuz who knows if that will influence my final decision to attend msu. but from what i hear, it's a pretty select group - i think both the rural and underserved programs only have about 10-15 students each. how about you, did you apply to either of those programs?

i'm actually really interested in the leadership in medicine for the underserved program. i think i'm going to e-mail the contact person they gave us during interview day to get some more details on admission into that program. the student who interviewed me had been interested in the rural program and i think she said they didn't interview her until january, so it might be awhile til i hear more on that.. although it would be really nice to know sooner than later if i'm getting admitted, cuz who knows if that will influence my final decision to attend msu. but from what i hear, it's a pretty select group - i think both the rural and underserved programs only have about 10-15 students each. how about you, did you apply to either of those programs?
Yeah, I applied to the Leadership program. I think that I would really enjoy it. That program is part of why i'm so excited about MSU. I don't have a clue when they start interviewing though or how many they accept.

Yeah, I applied to the Leadership program. I think that I would really enjoy it. That program is part of why i'm so excited about MSU. I don't have a clue when they start interviewing though or how many they accept.

awesome.. how cool would it be if we did it together? SDN'ers unite!
i e-mailed the LMU contact for a little more info, and i'll let you know what she tells me.

apparently dr. schnuth is the dean of the LMU program, and she will look over all of the applications and notify students by may 15. so it looks like it will be awhile!

awesome.. how cool would it be if we did it together? SDN'ers unite!
i e-mailed the LMU contact for a little more info, and i'll let you know what she tells me.
That would be pretty sweet. Thanks for the info update. May15th it is. I wonder if we scared james away or what?

hello hello

can you all give me some advice on the situation i asked about here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=465224

i'd really like to know what accepted applicants think about this...thanks!

i would say if they specifically state on their website not to send unsolicited supplementary info, i would respect that request and not send anything. if you had a special situation with your michigan ties, that probably should have been something you included in your secondary app, under the prompt about what you would want to make sure that the adcom knew about you. it's still very early in the app cycle so i wouldn't be too concerned at this point, but if you feel that you are not getting the attention you should within a couple months, maybe call into the admissions office and ask them if it would be appropriate for you to send a short update clarifying your ties to michigan. good luck and be sure to keep us posted if you get an interview!

hello hello

can you all give me some advice on the situation i asked about here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=465224

i'd really like to know what accepted applicants think about this...thanks!
Yeah, I agree with suenos. I probably wouldn't contact them because it is still early on in the app cycle, but if you called the admissions office and talked with them once, I don't think that would negatively effect your application. Perhaps it would benefit you a little by showing special interest in the school. Either way, I don't think it will make too big of a diffierence on your acceptance. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

-

Last edited:
There is a 99% chance I will be joining you guys! Got accepted last night. What a relief!!!!
that rocks, congrats. Where did you do undergrad? Where are you from?

Hey guys!!! COngrats on the acceptances!! (no, you didn't scare me away:))

It is so nice to have classmates! I will choose the FLint Campus. IT is in my backyard (don't have to move) and I am credentialed at all the local hospitals because I scrub in on cases from my office ( I get to park in physician parking--wanna carpool? :laugh:)

I hope you land the "LMU" positions you want! Sounds like a wonderful program.

Thanks for posting! James

PS yup, born and raised in Michigan!

Hey james, it's nice that you can stay in Flint for your 3rd and 4th years. How do you like the hospitals in Flint? That's great that you are a NP. With your previous experience you'll probably be ahead of everybody at med school. What made you decide to go to Med school, or did you always plan to do the BSN, NP, MD route?

Hey james, What made you decide to go to Med school, or did you always plan to do the BSN, NP, MD route?

Well, I actually did not intend to ever go past NP. This time last year I started feeling very limited by my degree, so I ran out and took the MCAT and applied to ONE school to see what would happen. MSU seems to think I should be a doctor, so, here I go with the rest of you smartypants! Can you believe we are all going to be MDs?? Gotta love MSU!!!

Anyone know if we are getting more classmates tomorrow?

The next decision date is not until Nov. 28th so it's not likely.

Most likely because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Hey all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kristina. I'm 22 and I'm finishing my undergrad (Bio major- chem/spanish minors) at SVSU in May- I'm from mid-michigan as well. I got Dr. Schafer's call last night- MSU 2012! I'm so excited! :D

I'm leaning toward my first choice community campus being G.R.

Hey all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kristina. I'm 22 and I'm finishing my undergrad (Bio major- chem/spanish minors) at SVSU in May- I'm from mid-michigan as well. I got Dr. Schafer's call last night- MSU 2012! I'm so excited! :D

I'm leaning toward my first choice community campus being G.R.

hi, kristina! congrats on the good news. and power to you for being so on the ball about getting into med school straight out of college. i was in no position to be applying during my senior year of college and it took a lot of time and extra work for me to buckle down and get to a point where i was ready to apply. but we're all here now and can get excited about where we're headed.

for leonidas and anybody else interested in the leadership in medicine for the underserved program, here's what i heard back from the head of the program:

."Last year, we had 70 students apply and accepted 18 students to begin the program in 2009. .. In general, all students are reviewed by their application. If we have questions regarding the application, we may schedule an individual interview. ..The applications are reviewed generally within two weeks of the closure of the application date. If we have the adequate complement of applicants that we are able to select a strong group of 18, then all students will be selected at that time of application review. There is generally not a rolling process, as we desire to complete the class from the students who declare their interest within the framework of the application process and timelines. ..I am awaiting the general timelines to provide you with that information but I wanted to get these pieces out to you for your consideration. This years students are actively participating in a number of community activities and are making exciting plans for there international trip in the areas of fund raising, planning for health education activities and learning about the culture of the population we will serve in the selected barrios within the San Jose area."

do you guys think that when she says "closure of the application date" that that is referring to the final may 15th notification deadline? blah, i don't want to wait that long! my acceptance into LMU may impact my final decision on schools! i guess we'll just wait and see..

It's great to have you with us Kristina. I still can't help but smile whenever I look at my acceptance letter or think about the school. We're going to have a memorable experience next year.
Suenos, thanks for the info. That is difficult to not know if we can get in the LMU program. 18/70 isn't great odds, but hopefully it will work out for us. How did you like Tulane? Do you think that you might go there especially if you don't know for sure if you can do the LMU program.

Suenos, thanks for the info. That is difficult to not know if we can get in the LMU program. 18/70 isn't great odds, but hopefully it will work out for us. How did you like Tulane? Do you think that you might go there especially if you don't know for sure if you can do the LMU program.

i actually really enjoyed visiting the tulane. the students are genuinely very happy there, get incredible clinical experience starting very early on, and have a high residency match rate to show for it, because residency programs are aware of the clinical preparation they've had working in new orleans. also the learning environment is very supportive and collaborative just like msu. i like msu a lot, but i think my biggest reservations about it are the fact that my involvement in the underserved program is not guaranteed, and i also don't like the fact that the whole anatomy lab is based on prosection, meaning you don't get any dissection experience unless you take the elective for it the summer after first year. i don't want to be a surgeon, but i know that "learning by doing" definitely helps reinforce my understanding of concepts, and i think dissection is an important part of that. from the msu students i've talked to, most say that it has been a huge time-saver and not a big deal, but i still would like to have the traditional dissection experience if possible.

anyway, i should hear back from tulane in a little over 2 weeks, so i'm gonna try not to obsess over decision-making too much until i actually hear whether i'm accepted or not! i'll keep you guys posted.

One of you should start a facebook group for your class like we did last year. Great way to get to know people a little before class starts.

Hi! I'm Jamie! I'm so excited to be joining the CHM class! A little about myself: I'm from Mt. Morris, MI, which is about five minutes north of Flint, and I work on a research project through the UM med school in the Hurley MC emergency dept. I graduated from Hope College in 2006, and didn't decided I wanted to go to medical school until my last semester, my senior year. So the last two years I've spent working and taking all the crazy pre-med requirements. I'm soooo glad those are finally done! For fun I love to reading, running, and coaching cross country and track. Enough about me. Did everyone get that email about the dinner on Dec. 14th? Is anyone going? I can't wait to meet everyone!

I did get the e-mail about the dinner. Any of you going? I am bummed, it sounds great and I would love to go, but my wife and I are getting in some couple time in Mexico next week before I am super busy for the next 8 or so years.

i'm not able to go because i'll be in the midst of finals - last exams until med school! definitely let us know how it goes and invite people you meet to post to this thread and keep the dialogue going! plus i agree that it would be a good idea to start a facebook group if anyone is feeling proactive about doing that.

Welcome Jaimie! Since you are from Mt Morris do you plan to do your 3rd and 4th years in Flint? I received the e-mail as well, but won't be able to make it that Fri. because I'm leaving town the day before to spend a week in Pennsylvania with some friends and family. I hope you have fun, I wish I could make it.

MSU CHM c/o 2012~BFF's you guys missed out on the dinner. i think there was 8 of us from the class of 2012 and it was really cool to meet and hang out with everyone. and for the record, the inside jokes have already started :) ~hence... the BFF's :) join the facebook group everyone! we are going to try and do more get togethers as we get more and more classmates!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, I spoiled my kids since next year I will be a broke med student.

Happy holidays, James

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while. I was accepted in November, but I'm still not 100% sure that I'll be attending. I'm also interested in the LMUV program, so that will weigh heavily on my decision. Anyone know if it's acceptable to send LOI's to the LMUV program director? It's been almost 6 months since I completed the initial essays and I would like to send an update.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while. I was accepted in November, but I'm still not 100% sure that I'll be attending. I'm also interested in the LMUV program, so that will weigh heavily on my decision. Anyone know if it's acceptable to send LOI's to the LMUV program director? It's been almost 6 months since I completed the initial essays and I would like to send an update.

hi ashbrant, congrats on your acceptance and yay for also being interested in LMUV! i don't know how they feel about letters of intent - i don't see why it would have a negative impact on the review of your app, so if you feel motivated and especially if you have new updates to send, i'd say go for it! also, in the folder we got on interview day, there was a little business card with student contacts for different programs and there was one girl listed for LMUV. i don't want to post her contact info on here unsolicited, but look back through your things (or PM me) if you want to contact her and see what she thinks about an LOI. and i don't know if you saw my post about this awhile ago, but it looks like we won't be hearing back til may 15, so don't fret if you don't hear from them for awhile. :luck:!!

Thanks for the tip about the contact in the interview packet.

it looks like we won't be hearing back til may 15, so don't fret if you don't hear from them for awhile. :luck:!!

About the selection date, here is an email I received December third:

"Hello Ashley, I'm responding to your question concerning the LMUV
selection process. We anticipate that the LMUV program will make their
selections prior to May 15. You will be contacted by email when a
decision is made. Thank you for your continued interest.

Jay Bryde
CHM Admissions Officer "

congrats to all those who got accepted!

I'm still waiting to hear back from msu.

Hi everybody!

I was just accepted to MSU tonight and am absolutely thrilled. I literally alternated between sobbing and screaming for at least an hour after the call tonight. Oh, what a feeling!

MSU has been my 1st choice all along and I am 99% sure this is where I will end up. I'm in my last semester of undergrad right now at a small liberal arts school in Michigan and I'm getting married this summer. I'd like to be at the Grand Rapids campus as that's where my fiance's job and house are. ;)

HOLY COW I got into MSU. I look forward to seeing all of you in the fall!

Hey everyone, I just listened to my voicemail from Dr. Schafer... I'M IN!!!! CLASS OF 2012!!!! Now that I have finished bouncing off the walls and waking parents up to tell them the news, I am excited to see who else is on board! (I'm heading over to the Facebook group right after this..)

Congrats to everyone else and see you in August!!!!!! Let's plan a camping trip!!

Hey all,

My name is Maryann, and I was accepted last Tuesday. It was my first acceptance, and I nearly threw my phone across the room when I heard Dr. Schafer's voicemail. I'm a little late in joining this thread, but I am excited to see all this enthusiasm for MSU.

A little about myself...I'm 25, grew up in California and went to USC for undergrad, then moved to Boston for a Masters and the last 2 years I've been working in clinical research at MGH.

I look forward to getting to know all of you! Congrats everyone!!