MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I just thought I'd hop on here since I got my first acceptance and since I feel like I may be a tad less qualified so there is hope.

Undergraduate School/School type: Large Private University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.62/3.51
Major/minor: Public Health (concentration in Biology)
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): one graduate course in Protein Biochemistry
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Experience/research:
- on-campus job handing out masks (1.5 years)
- copy editor for newsletter (4 months)
- outreach volunteer for a clinic (6 months)
- lab intern on a project looking for microplastics in organs (3 months)
- (not super applicable but took up a lot of my time) 3 leadership roles (service chairman, Panhellenic delegate, and New Member Coordinator) in my sorority over the course of 2 years

Letters of Rec:
- professor from my first public health course
- professor from my epidemiology course (now works at Pfizer)
- job supervisor (head of student affairs)

Interests: still developing them! but right now I'm interested in health literacy, child/maternal health, reproductive health/education

Applied: UW - Epi (11/30), Columbia - Epi (11/30), UC Berkeley - IDV (11/30), NYU - Epi (1/30)
Accepted: Columbia (2/14)
Rejected: UW (2/3)
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on getting in! I'm in HPM at Rollins right now, so let me know if you have any immediate questions. The Rollins student engagement team will set up a Facebook page at some point and I'm sure someone is going to start a GroupMe for everyone to network and ask questions. The student engagement folks will also post updates and webinars for you to attend on the Facebook page. Facebook and GroupMe have been the most consistent places for questions and updates :)
did you receive a nice financial aid package? I don't have the best GPA so I'm hoping the need based scholarship is decent otherwise I couldn't afford it.

Has anyone who received a scholarship from Michigan see it on their financial aid on Wolverine? I'm only seeing loans and a work study listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
in at UC berkeley and Columbia, thats a wrap! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone who received a scholarship from Michigan see it on their financial aid on Wolverine? I'm only seeing loans and a work study listed.
My portal only shows loans and work-study as well! I emailed to ask about how to get my tuition award applied to the portal, but have not heard back yet

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back about rejections from Columbia/Hopkins yet? I submitted my apps before December (but final LoR submitted mid-Dec), and haven't heard back anything from them yet 😬😬
I think Columbia has sent like 3 batches of acceptances as of yesterday so I’m assuming they’ll start rejections in a week or so :/ I’m still waiting and I submitted back in mid December too.

Reactions: 1 users
I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia and I submitted on 12/1.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone on their acceptances thus far! Is anyone still waiting to hear back from GWU? I submitted my app on 11/23 and received an email that it was under departamental review on 12/15...

It was on a Friday last year I thinj
I think Harvard announcements will begin this Thursday. I searched the previous threads and found acceptances starting on Thursday, Feb 18, 2021 and Thursday, Feb 20, 2020. Good luck everyone!!

I think Harvard announcements will begin this Thursday. I searched the previous threads and found acceptances starting on Thursday, Feb 18, 2021 and Thursday, Feb 20, 2020. Good luck everyone!!
OMGGGGG fingers crossed!! it seems like they send out acceptances first?

Ahhh this is the one I’ve really been waiting for!!! So nervous not sure if I’ll be able to sleep tonight! Good luck everyone fingers crossed!!!

Undergraduate School/School type: International school (Top 1 in my country and Latin America)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:I still need to verify, but I think it's around 3.3
Major/minor: Sociology
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken): Plan to take it but I'm not sure if I'll submit. Honestly, it depends on how I do.

Experience/research:
1.5 years working at a research center on public health on topics such as community health, environmental health and occupational health. I worked along with international agencies and the government.
2 years of working experience at an HIV prevention non-profit. There's tons I've done, but I've been overseeing work primarily regarding education and research on HIV. I've coordinated and led many training workshops and programs on HIV to health professionals in my country. I've worked with international organizations, including Y+ Global (the global network of young people living with HIV), Youth Against Aids, Youth Stop Aids and the Global Advisory Board for Sexual Health and Wellbeing.
1 year of workin experience as a collaborator for an organization working on sexual and reproductive health on a training workshop about LGBTQ health for health professionals.
3 month work as consultant for PAHO-WHO on a systematic review on COVID-19 and social determinants of health.
2 years as chair of a non-profit working on sexual and reproductive rights in my country (ad honorem).
1 year volunteer at another HIV prevention non-profit.
2 years as volunteer at my school's LGBTQ organization.

Other notable information:
Fulbrighter (Fulbright scholarship).
Pleasure Project Fellow (2021).
Diploma in Human Sexuality.
Study abroad at U Chicago (all A's) during undergrad.
Trilingual (English/French/Spanish).
Former research and teaching assistant during my undergrad (PH unrelated).
Speaker at local and international seminars and panels, including one on COVID-19 organized by AHF (US).
Lecturer for a class on HIV prevention at a local university in my country.
Lecturer for a class on sexual health and masculinities at another local university in my country.
Due to my background I have a great handling of both quantitative and qualitative softwares.

Letters of Rec:
1) Former boss who is working as Regional Lead on Social Determinants of Health at PAHO/WHO (who also used to work at WHO in Geneva).
2) Current boss at my HIV non profit job.
3) Former professor who I TA'd and is currently the head of the department of sociology.
4) Former Columbia and Harvard alumni with whom I've worked.

Interests: LGBTQ health, human sexuality, sexual and reproductive health, community health, health education, mental health, global health.

Applied: Haven't applied yet but intend to apply to Columbia PopFam, UC Berkeley, Harvard, BU and UCLA.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

What do you think are my chances?
Hey, I was wondering if you heard back from any?

Hi folks, leaving a placeholder, fingers crossed

Undergraduate School/School type: T5 UK
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.9x WES
Major/minor: Biomed Sci
Grad GPA (if applicable): P/F
Grad studies (if applicable): MD at T15
GRE(including date taken): 163 QR 162 VR

Experience/research: 18-23 pubs, 10 first author incl first author in IF 20-30 journal, surgical resident at T5 med school
Letters of Rec: all academic references from residency incl clinical and research

Interests: mainly Clin Epi/Biostats with some interest in Health Policy/Leadership

Applied: Hopkins MPH, Columbia MS, Dartmouth MPH, Oxford MSc, Harvard MPH
Interviews (if applicable): Dartmouth MPH
Accepted: Hopkins MPH (12/28), Dartmouth MPH (01/07), Harvard MPH (02/10)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:
Hey which programs specifically did u apply to at Hopkins and Harvard?

hi everyone - congrats on getting through application season and on your acceptances! question - does anyone know if it's possible to switch departments for the columbia mph? I was admitted to the sms department, but want to switch to hpm if possible

Hi everyone! I just received my first decision letter and finally have the courage to post my stats. I see a lot of people in these forums with much more experience than I have, so I hope that this can ease the worries of some applicants like myself! I am still in undergrad and graduate officially this summer.

Undergraduate School/School type: Community College & Public University in NC
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.89 Community College/3.49 University (Combined 3.71) in progress.
Major/minor: Public Health, no minor.
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken): N/A, Not taken.

Experience/research:
  • 3 years working as a Certified Nurse Assistant in long-term- and acute-care facilities.
  • 7 months experience in research, also as a co-author, with one of my university professors.
  • Active member of 5 public health clubs and 2 honor societies at my university, also a member of the chemistry club and 1 honor society at my former community college.
  • Made the Dean’s List every semester excluding 1, where I worked full-time at a hospital during the beginning of the pandemic and my university GPA took a hit.
  • I volunteer occasionally at my local food bank and with clubs but did not enter set hours for this in SOPHAS.
Interests: Research

Letters of Rec:
  • 1 Research mentor & Professor
  • 1 Academic Advisor & Professor
  • 1 Honor Society Leader & Professor
Applied (1/14): Johns Hopkins MHS Epi, UNC MPH Epi, Brown University MPH Epi, Boston University MPH Epi, Rutgers MPH Epi
Accepted: Johns Hopkins +40% (2/16), Rutgers (3/9), Brown University (3/18), Boston University +25% (4/1)
Rejected: UNC (2/28)
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: Hopkins!

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone on their acceptances thus far! Is anyone still waiting to hear back from GWU? I submitted my app on 11/23 and received an email that it was under departamental review on 12/15...
I submitted my GW app with similar dates for health policy. I emailed admissions for an update the other day (since their website says typically 6-8 weeks for a decision) and they told me my application is still under departmental review and to email them back if I still haven't heard anything in 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone heard back from the Emory MPH in Global Epi yet? I'm worried it's taking so long for me to hear back!

manifesting a hopkins and harvard decision soon for all of us 😌

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone, got a mail from yale, health management. Wait-listed. Are there any chances of admission?

Hi everyone, got a mail from yale, health management. Wait-listed. Are there any chances of admission?
Aww! Hoping for the best for you!

What time did you get the email? Are their decisions emailed out at a set time? I haven't heard anything yet.

Is anyone else here watching netflix and stressing cause they're anxious about Harvard or is it just me?

Is anyone else here watching netflix and stressing cause they're anxious about Harvard or is it just me?
Literally did not sleep last night!!! Now to hit refresh every 10 seconds...

Did anyone here hear from Berkeley Epi/Biostats? I saw someone on Reddit said they were accepted yesterday so naturally I'm like :nailbiting:

hi everyone - congrats on getting through application season and on your acceptances! question - does anyone know if it's possible to switch departments for the columbia mph? I was admitted to the sms department, but want to switch to hpm if possible
Congrats!

In previous years, yes it is possible. for the cohort that started in fall 2021, we weren't able to switch departments because they were at capacity. I'm not sure what future cohorts will be able to do.

Has anyone heard back about rejections from Columbia/Hopkins yet? I submitted my apps before December (but final LoR submitted mid-Dec), and haven't heard back anything from them yet 😬😬
I read on another forum that they give you your status early March. I submitted my application for Summer 22 for the DrPH part time program. Not sure if this helps.

Has anyone admitted to Columbia MPH - HPM received their financial aid package?

I read on another forum that they give you your status early March. I submitted my application for Summer 22 for the DrPH part time program. Not sure if this helps.
Last year people heard back (with acceptances) 02/02, 02/16, 02/19, 02/25, 02/26, and someone even got in on the first of March. It seems to be all throughout Feb? I just don't know how they choose which applications to send when. Feb isn't over, so have faith people :) Adcoms are still working offsite, and applications are still under review!

Congrats to everyone getting Harvard and other acceptances today :) has anyone who applied to Harvard 65 credit health behavior heard back yet?