MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone is attending the UNC Gillings admitted students day today, I would love to hear your thoughts! Not able to attend due to flight $$ and work.

Members don't see this ad.

Finally heard from Harvard - accepted into the 45-credit HPM program! Here is my timeline: Applied 11/29; Verified 12/9; Received 12/13; Accepted 3/24 - 3 1/2 months!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm deciding between JHSPH MSPH (international health, SBI) and Yale (SBS w/Global health concentration)--
Financially, they're about the same for me.
I'm going to Yale's Open House in a couple of weeks, but would like to know other thoughts before I go and solidify my decision.
I feel like there just isn't enough information online when I try comparing the programs. I know JHSPH is the top program, but I've been seeing people choose Yale instead, so can anyone give me more insight into why people would do that?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from SDSU or UCLA's MPH programs? I'm getting a little anxious and I am dying to find out if I was accepted or not....

Who is going to Harvard's Admitted Student Day Next Friday? I'll be there!

I've decided I'm going to Yale!

I was torn between Harvard, Columbia, and Yale.

Columbia only offered me 5K in need based aid.
Harvard offered me a 50% tuition scholarship (~25K/year).
Yale offered me an Opportunity Scholarship (~61K/year - covering tuition, room/board, and medical insurance/program fees).

Reactions: 12 users
I've decided I'm going to Yale!

I was torn between Harvard, Columbia, and Yale.

Columbia only offered me 5K in need based aid.
Harvard offered me a 50% tuition scholarship (~25K/year).
Yale offered me an Opportunity Scholarship (~61K/year - covering tuition, room/board, and medical insurance/program fees).

Sounds like the right choice! Congratulations :)

To everyone who received a fin aid offer letter from Columbia - did you have to access the fin aid portal? And where was the offer letter located?

When I access the 'studentviewer' portal all I can see are the tabs "Home","Apply Online", "Awards", "Accept Awards" and a couple others. But other than the Home tab (which has a generic Welcome Message), all the other tabs are empty. I already wrote to the fin aid office asking about this but haven't received a response from them yet. Any advice?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard from SDSU or UCLA's MPH programs? I'm getting a little anxious and I am dying to find out if I was accepted or not....
i did for both and UCLA was through a portal
and i called sdsu. but they were a bit rude and they (almost) NEVER pick up

Any thoughts on BU vs Emory vs Columbia for Global Health?

Are they equally affordable? I think the cost should factor somewhat into your choice.

After that, I suggest reading faculty webpages to see if your research interests align with theirs.likewise, research the courses and electives you could take at each school and see which courses align with your interests.

You should also consider where you'd like to live, at least for the next two years, possibly longer if you land a job in Atlanta, NYC, or Boston.

I think Emory and Columbia have better name recognition than BU- though I hear BU is a pretty good school of public health too!

Are they equally affordable? I think the cost should factor somewhat into your choice.

After that, I suggest reading faculty webpages to see if your research interests align with theirs.likewise, research the courses and electives you could take at each school and see which courses align with your interests.

You should also consider where you'd like to live, at least for the next two years, possibly longer if you land a job in Atlanta, NYC, or Boston.

I think Emory and Columbia have better name recognition than BU- though I hear BU is a pretty good school of public health too!

Emory is more affordable, and I'm still waiting to here back from BU but they said they gave me a scholarship.

Decided to head to Harvard! Hopefully I'll see a few of you at the admit day! Declined the other offers so hopefully those waiting will hear something soon. Cheers!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda nervous about my app. Only applied to GW (stupid I know but family/financial issues...etc).

GPA 3.14
GRE 156 V 147 Q Essay 4 (****ty, I know but I took the GRE after submitting my app)
App recieved 3/11; GW grad / GW employee.

Still havent heard back and I'm nervous. People are hearing back really quick so I'm nervous they're just waiting the 1 month average only to say no :(

Does anyone have any strong opinions on GWU vs Emory for Policy? I think I've mostly decided, but I wanted to be sure that my ideas aren't completely crazy.

I'm still completely and utterly unsure of which school to choose (Columbia vs BU). Not having received financial aid information from anyone, I don't know how to weigh my options. Is anyone else ethics-focused? I don't really think I can make a wrong choice, but I also can't tell which school would best support my interests and goals (re: bioethics and the like). I've looked through course catalogues and lists of faculty and things and nothing is helping me come any closer to a decision. The one thing I noticed was that at BU's Center for Health Law, Ethics, and Human Rights, the faculty are all JDs and MDs, whereas at Columbia's Center for History, Ethics, and Law they're all PhDs. I don't think it ultimately matters, but I found it curious. Does anyone have any insight here? The money thing was/is supposed to be a big part of how I make my decision, but the federal government is holding things up for me.

Is anyone else in Health Policy and Management torn between Emory and GW? I thought I was dead set on Emory until visiting GW this weekend. With all the changes in Health Policy taking place currently, it seems as though there are lots of opportunities in D.C. right now. That being said, Emory is also a great school with a much lower cost of living. Does anyone know of opportunities in Atlanta outside of the CDC? Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
congratulations to you all on your acceptances! i've been a quiet lurker on this forum for the past three months, and it's brought me quite a bit of comfort throughout this journey. thank you very much for all of the advice and support. i'm excited for us all!

i'm in a bit of a jiffy - i'm struggling to decide between yale (sbs), brown (generalist), and upenn (generalist). i love that all of the programs are smaller-sized, and i've found faculty at each school that i would be honored to learn from and potentially work with.

part of me worries a bit about yale - does anyone know if this program is competitive or cut-throat (in terms of opportunities offered by the school, students' interactions with one another, etc.)? - i heard a rumor that i'm hoping to dispel. // anyone know about the anticipated size for SBS?

for upenn, has anyone heard anything from financial aid, or anything about the anticipated size of the cohort? i was unable to attend the accepted students' reception - any pertinent notes or things that excited/surprised/worried you?

as for brown, i couldn't be more excited! the school offered less aid than yale, so i'm bummed about that. i also keep hearing about how it would be crazy if i turn down yale... but i think my heart may lie with this school... anything i'm not catching with my rose-colored glasses? i sometimes wonder if it is too new of a program, but that's my only trepidation thus far...

dartmouth actually offered me an extremely generous scholarship, but i'm not sure i'd enjoy a one-year program as much / get as much out of it... i did love who i interviewed with, and the phone call from the director was such a personal, nice touch!

any advice or insight is greatly appreciated! / if you're also narrowing down choices, what sorts of factors are have the greatest weight on your decision-making? // many thanks!!

Is anyone else in Health Policy and Management torn between Emory and GW? I thought I was dead set on Emory until visiting GW this weekend. With all the changes in Health Policy taking place currently, it seems as though there are lots of opportunities in D.C. right now. That being said, Emory is also a great school with a much lower cost of living. Does anyone know of opportunities in Atlanta outside of the CDC? Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

I am in this exact same position! I think I'm now leaning Emory though, I've just heard so many good things about the program there, and I really like the Global Field Experience that they offer. I know there are a few other places in Atlanta but I don't know much about them, I really want to be in the CDC though!

What about the Visit day at GW made you consider it more? Just the possibilities in DC right now?

congratulations to you all on your acceptances! i've been a quiet lurker on this forum for the past three months, and it's brought me quite a bit of comfort throughout this journey. thank you very much for all of the advice and support. i'm excited for us all!

i'm in a bit of a jiffy - i'm struggling to decide between yale (sbs), brown (generalist), and upenn (generalist). i love that all of the programs are smaller-sized, and i've found faculty at each school that i would be honored to learn from and potentially work with.

part of me worries a bit about yale - does anyone know if this program is competitive or cut-throat (in terms of opportunities offered by the school, students' interactions with one another, etc.)? - i heard a rumor that i'm hoping to dispel. // anyone know about the anticipated size for SBS?

for upenn, has anyone heard anything from financial aid, or anything about the anticipated size of the cohort? i was unable to attend the accepted students' reception - any pertinent notes or things that excited/surprised/worried you?

as for brown, i couldn't be more excited! the school offered less aid than yale, so i'm bummed about that. i also keep hearing about how it would be crazy if i turn down yale... but i think my heart may lie with this school... anything i'm not catching with my rose-colored glasses? i sometimes wonder if it is too new of a program, but that's my only trepidation thus far...

dartmouth actually offered me an extremely generous scholarship, but i'm not sure i'd enjoy a one-year program as much / get as much out of it... i did love who i interviewed with, and the phone call from the director was such a personal, nice touch!

any advice or insight is greatly appreciated! / if you're also narrowing down choices, what sorts of factors are have the greatest weight on your decision-making? // many thanks!!

Hey! So Yale actually sounds to me very not competitive or cutthroat. Per my understanding, the SBS cohort will be around 25-30. All of Yale SPH's grading is pass/fail, specifically to reduce stress/eliminate competition and encourage collaboration. I can't speak to Brown, but if you go back a page or so in this thread you'll find my comparison of Penn and Drexel, which may be somewhat informative w/ respect to Penn. I think their cohort will probably be about the same size as Yale's, maybe slightly smaller.

I am in this exact same position! I think I'm now leaning Emory though, I've just heard so many good things about the program there, and I really like the Global Field Experience that they offer. I know there are a few other places in Atlanta but I don't know much about them, I really want to be in the CDC though!

What about the Visit day at GW made you consider it more? Just the possibilities in DC right now?

my computer is being weird so i dont know if my other one got posted.
but minnesota said "considerable amount of students went to cdc"
i dont know if that helps but yeah..

I have been reading that Yale is a very research focused program. Would it be a mistake to go to Yale if I want to go into public health practice (epidemiology) after graduation rather than go onto a medical degree or a PhD program or a research focused career? Deciding between Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases at Yale and BU with certificates in Epidemiology and Infectious Disease.

Hi Guys,

So I'm having a really tough time figuring money out. Emory is my top choice but BU gave me a 15K merit scholarship, does anyone know if Emory will match this or even try?

Secondly does anyone know if a federal plus loan can be used to pay for off campus housing...if not will i just have to take a private loan? I don't have too much saved so Im really lost on how to figure this one out so nay help or guidance would be much appreciated.

I'm still completely and utterly unsure of which school to choose (Columbia vs BU). Not having received financial aid information from anyone, I don't know how to weigh my options. Is anyone else ethics-focused? I don't really think I can make a wrong choice, but I also can't tell which school would best support my interests and goals (re: bioethics and the like). I've looked through course catalogues and lists of faculty and things and nothing is helping me come any closer to a decision. The one thing I noticed was that at BU's Center for Health Law, Ethics, and Human Rights, the faculty are all JDs and MDs, whereas at Columbia's Center for History, Ethics, and Law they're all PhDs. I don't think it ultimately matters, but I found it curious. Does anyone have any insight here? The money thing was/is supposed to be a big part of how I make my decision, but the federal government is holding things up for me.
Im deciding between BU and Columbia and Emory, but for Global Health!

Hi Guys,

So I'm having a really tough time figuring money out. Emory is my top choice but BU gave me a 15K merit scholarship, does anyone know if Emory will match this or even try?

Secondly does anyone know if a federal plus loan can be used to pay for off campus housing...if not will i just have to take a private loan? I don't have too much saved so Im really lost on how to figure this one out so nay help or guidance would be much appreciated.

I can answer the second question. Grad Plus loans can cover up to the cost of attendance for whatever school you are attending - cost of attendance includes living expenses ("room and board"). You should not need to take out a private loan.

I'm still leaning towards Emory, but being in the city where health policy changes are being debated could be really, REALLY interesting. I think it's a combination of the opportunities DC has to offer and the relationships many professors have with people on the Hill. Still, Emory has a very strong program and I was impressed when I visited in October. I'm also from the south and most of my friends live in ATL so even though I'm trying not to make that a factor, it is.

Someone just tell me which school to pick and make my life easier for me!!

I have been reading that Yale is a very research focused program. Would it be a mistake to go to Yale if I want to go into public health practice (epidemiology) after graduation rather than go onto a medical degree or a PhD program or a research focused career? Deciding between Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases at Yale and BU with certificates in Epidemiology and Infectious Disease.

Definitely would not be a mistake to go to Yale if you want to practice epidemiology. Nothing wrong with a research focused program. Go for it if you'd prefer Yale over BU.

I've decided against going to BU for other reasons, and didn't apply to Columbia because I don't want to live in New York, but have many friends and colleagues who have attended both programs. Since you don't have financial information to help weigh your decision, I think you should start looking into other factors like where you want to live for a couple years at least, the average age and size of the cohort, and the overall ethos of the school. I LOVE BU's programs (not going because I've been in Boston for a while and am ready to leave) and think that the flexibility of the program speaks to how the school wants their students to experience their pubic health education. My impression from friends, colleagues, and my own interactions with the school are that they encourage students to explore the topics that are most interesting to them, and that faculty are generally really supportive of student interests. Also, because they have both accelerated and part-time options, you'll be in a cohort that has a diverse group of people who are all there for different reasons, which I think enriches the experience. I can't speak to Colombia with as much detail, but my impression is that the program is more rigid. Not if this helps, but maybe it can give you a good place to start.

Also happy to talk to you, or anyone, about living in Boston if people are curious. It's been a few weeks since a big snow storm, so I'll be a little more even-handed. :)

I'll be at Emory's visit day on Friday. Hoping to say hi to some of you there!

I've decided against going to BU for other reasons, and didn't apply to Columbia because I don't want to live in New York, but have many friends and colleagues who have attended both programs. Since you don't have financial information to help weigh your decision, I think you should start looking into other factors like where you want to live for a couple years at least, the average age and size of the cohort, and the overall ethos of the school. I LOVE BU's programs (not going because I've been in Boston for a while and am ready to leave) and think that the flexibility of the program speaks to how the school wants their students to experience their pubic health education. My impression from friends, colleagues, and my own interactions with the school are that they encourage students to explore the topics that are most interesting to them, and that faculty are generally really supportive of student interests. Also, because they have both accelerated and part-time options, you'll be in a cohort that has a diverse group of people who are all there for different reasons, which I think enriches the experience. I can't speak to Colombia with as much detail, but my impression is that the program is more rigid. Not if this helps, but maybe it can give you a good place to start.

Also happy to talk to you, or anyone, about living in Boston if people are curious. It's been a few weeks since a big snow storm, so I'll be a little more even-handed. :)

Thank you for all of this! I'm originally from the Boston area and lived in NYC briefly. Both places are great, albeit very different. I'll reach out to more people and see how much more I can learn... and just hope the money appears soon.

Recommended for admission to USC's MPH program today! Their deadline to accept the offer is July 15, much later than usual :O

I'm declining my offers from BU, Emory, and GW, so hopefully that helps anyone on the waitlist!

Is there a Columbia Accepted MPH group on Facebook?

Hey! So Yale actually sounds to me very not competitive or cutthroat. Per my understanding, the SBS cohort will be around 25-30. All of Yale SPH's grading is pass/fail, specifically to reduce stress/eliminate competition and encourage collaboration. I can't speak to Brown, but if you go back a page or so in this thread you'll find my comparison of Penn and Drexel, which may be somewhat informative w/ respect to Penn. I think their cohort will probably be about the same size as Yale's, maybe slightly smaller.

thank you so much, i really appreciate it! lots to ponder over in the next few weeks...

So Yale gave me a 15k (max) need based scholarship. I have a 3.5 gpa which really hurt my chances of any merit scholarships. I received none obviously, from yale or columbia. But I got the full 33k (max) grad loans offered via fafsa. And I may be qualified for the grad plus loans as well if I need them.

In the end, with 33k in fafsa loans, I can cover the cost of Yale's tuition + health insurance and a couple fees. I would just need to come up with rent money and month-to-month expenses. I think my personal savings will be just about enough for rent, and my month-to-month will be dependent on me having a part time job.

If I attend Columbia I would need 33k in fafsa loans and I would need to apply for at least 4k more in Grad plus loans, and then I would probably need more than 4k more just for something like rent which is significantly higher in NYC.

Columbia and Yale are both great schools but Columbia felt like my top choice school until the money came in. I felt really kind of sad in doing so but began to look on the bright side about attending Yale. It really feels like I am going there over money concerns (I mean they gave me 15k in grant money! FREE MONEY!) and Columbia in the end would rack up at least 10k or more in extra student debt. I am sad that I won't participate in Columbia's 6 months overseas program for the global health concentration. But I will be doing EMD at Yale and I think the focus of this program is really in-line with my interests.

I was wondering - because it is quite research based which I love - is that necessarily a positive aspect of a program for someone who wants to practice epidemiology? (but who is not entirely sure if they will come back for a phd later)

To everyone who received a fin aid offer letter from Columbia - did you have to access the fin aid portal? And where was the offer letter located?

When I access the 'studentviewer' portal all I can see are the tabs "Home","Apply Online", "Awards", "Accept Awards" and a couple others. But other than the Home tab (which has a generic Welcome Message), all the other tabs are empty. I already wrote to the fin aid office asking about this but haven't received a response from them yet. Any advice?

Thanks!
I only got an email, no portal or anything else.

Anyone considering deferring admission to save up more money? I was woefully optimistic about getting merit/need grand aid, and am strongly considering taking a year off to get more money. 100k in loans does not seem worth it for an MPH degree alone, and that's the situation I am in.

Last edited:
This might be a strange question -- but does anyone know how acceptable it is to bring guests to the open houses? I'm heading to New Haven in a couple of weeks with my partner, who will be moving with me in the fall. My original plan was obviously to attend the Open House alone and have him find things to do on his own for that day, but the school sent an email re: the open house saying to contact them if we plan on bringing a guest. Now I'm just questioning how weird (or not weird??) it'd be to have him attend the Open House with me. It'd be a great way for him to see the campus and what the program's all about, but I don't want him to feel awkward if it's not entirely normal to bring guests :p It does seem like a very student-oriented day, so I'll probably just stick to my original plan... but I just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts to chip in!

This might be a strange question -- but does anyone know how acceptable it is to bring guests to the open houses? I'm heading to New Haven in a couple of weeks with my partner, who will be moving with me in the fall. My original plan was obviously to attend the Open House alone and have him find things to do on his own for that day, but the school sent an email re: the open house saying to contact them if we plan on bringing a guest. Now I'm just questioning how weird (or not weird??) it'd be to have him attend the Open House with me. It'd be a great way for him to see the campus and what the program's all about, but I don't want him to feel awkward if it's not entirely normal to bring guests :p It does seem like a very student-oriented day, so I'll probably just stick to my original plan... but I just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts to chip in!
I have taken a parent to open houses/admitted students days with me, and they were welcomed. Columbia had few guests, while BU had many guests. My parent also wants to come to see Yale with me, so I will be taking a guest to that open house as well. All of the open houses/admitted students days I attended had activities organized for guests when there was a mock class for admitted students or a table for guests at lunch while admitted students ate with professors. My guest stayed with me for the majority of the day. I do not know exactly how Yale's will be organized, but it seems that all programs expect some guests and plan accordingly. For me, it is helpful to have an extra set of ears when we receive lots of information. I have never felt awkward or uncomfortable having a guest present. Every admitted students day I have attended has had plenty of people bringing guests, and nobody acted as though it was weird.

I have taken a parent to open houses/admitted students days with me, and they were welcomed. Columbia had few guests, while BU had many guests. My parent also wants to come to see Yale with me, so I will be taking a guest to that open house as well. All of the open houses/admitted students days I attended had activities organized for guests when there was a mock class for admitted students or a table for guests at lunch while admitted students ate with professors. My guest stayed with me for the majority of the day. I do not know exactly how Yale's will be organized, but it seems that all programs expect some guests and plan accordingly. For me, it is helpful to have an extra set of ears when we receive lots of information. I have never felt awkward or uncomfortable having a guest present. Every admitted students day I have attended has had plenty of people bringing guests, and nobody acted as though it was weird.
That's extremely helpful to know, thanks! My experience with open houses is very limited, so I had no good way of gauging what the environment would be like. Thanks so much!

Hello everyone!
Which one would be a better choice between
NYMC Health Policy and Management and NYU Public Health Nutrition?
Please help :(:sorry:

Hello everyone!
Which one would be a better choice between
NYMC Health Policy and Management and NYU Public Health Nutrition?
Please help :(:sorry:

Hi! I was deciding between both schools for different concentrations and ultimately it looks like I will be going to NYU for community health! I think that you'll have better opportunities being located directly in New York City, but these are two very different concentrations, so that also plays into it. Have you visited either of the campuses? I was underwhelmed with NYMC.

Hi! I was deciding between both schools for different concentrations and ultimately it looks like I will be going to NYU for community health! I think that you'll have better opportunities being located directly in New York City, but these are two very different concentrations, so that also plays into it. Have you visited either of the campuses? I was underwhelmed with NYMC.

I didn't visit yet. But everyone is suggesting me to go for NYU.
Thank you charcharr13 :)

I didn't visit yet. But everyone is suggesting me to go for NYU.
Thank you charcharr13 :)

Of course! :) It wasn't a bad campus at all, very beautiful, but just very quiet and in a small secluded area where I didn't think I would be happy for grad school. I'm getting really excited about NYU, and I think it's a good fit for me and what I want to do! Are you going to admitted student day this weekend?

For those who applied to GW's MPH in Global Health, how long did it take to receive your decision? I received a confirmation email that my app was processed 3/20/17.

Anyone considering deferring admission to save up more money? I was woefully optimistic about getting merit/need grand aid, and am strongly considering taking a year off to get more money. 100k in loans does not seem worth it for an MPH degree alone, and that's the situation I am in.

I 'sort-of' did this. In other words, I delayed applying to graduate school until I had saved up enough money through jobs (often having more than one at a time), to use a good portion of my savings to help cover the cost of tuition. I think it is a good idea, if you can truly save up more in that year

Other options you can look at are part-time programs. Many companies offer some sort of tuition benefit. I agree, 100K in debt for a MPH is a considerable, and I think, unwise burden to put on your shoulders. With that much money in loans chances are your debt to income ratio with a MPH is going to be pretty bleak, which affects your credit score, makes it hard to get low interest loans - i.e for a home mortgage and many other "adulting" issues. :p