MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorietran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm surprised no one has started this thread yet. This site has helped me so much with many valuable resources. So here's to many sleepless night, toss and turns. Here's to the entering class of 2017 :)
PLEASE GO BACK TO UPDATE IF ANYTHING CHANGES. That would help all of us a lot :D

FYI I'm using the same format as the previous years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
Special factors???

Interested in:
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I can start first :< But I still need to get my S*** together.
I'm not sure if I should do the "What is my chance?" game but my gosh I'm worried

Undergrad School: UC Davis
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.71 (1 quarter left to go, hopefully will be 3.75 )
Major/Minor: Ecology, Evolution and Biodiversity
GRE (including date taken): Haven't even studied for it...
- 2 years Clinical intern at free student-run clinic for underserved Vietnamese population
- 2 years in non-profit organization doing 3 medical missions abroad to Vietnam - holding various leadership positions
- 3 years of teaching internship/ tutoring jobs (k-12, college)
- About 400 hours Hospital volunteer throughout 3 years
- 3 years volunteer at Breathe California (promote/ maintain healthy air, preventing lung and other air-pollution related diseases)
- Various Community services: Sacramento CalFresh Intern (6 months), Reading Partner (6 months - teach elementary student to read), American Red Cross (3 years), Volunteer of America.
- 1 year Restaurant Manager
- 200 hours hospital shadowing (yes i know... i was pre-med :()
- 1 year Research assistant (Sage-grouse sexual behavior and selection - that's a bird btw)

LOR: Professor, NPO's Director, Plastic surgeon I work with
Special Factor: Im a world-class procrastinator and coffee addict. anyone else?

Interested in: Global Health, Health & Social Behavioral, Population & Family Health

Applied: Columbia, Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, Emory, Yale, Loma Linda, San Diego State, NYU, GWU, UWash,UMich,
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering when someone would start up this thread ;).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 user
Yay! Glad someone started this.

Undergrad School: D.C. liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65
Major/Minor: Double major Public Health (BS) and Justice&Law (w/ criminology focus)
GRE : 9/28 V) 158 Q) 151 :( hoping my quant skill show via my transcript and epi/biostats courses

- 4 months interning with a local mental health nonprofit
- 4 months interning with the metro police in sexual violence areas
- 4 months interning with a famous mental health law center in downtown D.C.
- 4 months interning with Food and Drug Administration
- 3 years volunteering for American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- 4 months very minimally helping out in a microbiology lab on campus
- 3 yrs helping out with a girls' education club on campus, became president for a year, and helped the national organization go on to win 25k
- presented 40 page research paper about juveniles with disabilities in the justice system and their rights at a national conference and a local conference
- won a merit award focused on students in public service & public health
- Peer wellness educator
-Won interprofessional prize at the National Academy of Medicine D.C. Regional Public Health Case Competition.

LORs: 1 from Pub Health program advisor, 1 from justice professor (Adviser for my paper about juveniles with disabilities), and 1 from my FDA mentor

Special factors??? Ummmm, I'm hoping my lived experience with mental illness and the activist work I have done in my community to erase the stigma and create other leaders in the mental health community will help show my passion for public health and social justice.

Interested in: MPH programs related to health research, social & behavioral health, violence prevention, maternal and child health, social determinants
Applied (official verification 11/15): UIC (CHS-MCH Epi), Emory (BSHE), Yale (SBS), Boston (Research track), Hopkins MSPH-PopFam (1/15 verification), WUSTL (Violence prevention), Temple (SBS)
Accepted: Temple SBS (12/8) BU (12/15, with 32k+), WUSTL (12/27, 20K), UIC MCH (1/17), Emory BSHE (1/30, w/ 20k), Johns Hopkins! (2/14, w/ 62.5% tuition coverage!!)
Rejected:
no where!!!?
Waitlisted: Yale (2/2....omg thought I would be outright rejected)
ATTENDING: Boston University
:D (It came down to BU v. JHU; hard choice to make but ultimately the chance to have less loan debt AND no out of pocket costs made BU the better choice...felt weird to turn JHU down, but I will love)

Note to future students...do not let your GRE/lack of research experience deter you!! Show these schools how passionate you are about public health and your specific interests and they'll truly appreciate that. I never thought I would get in at half of these schools with amazing funding offers, but I did and I'm glad I didn't let my poor scores deter me from applying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Pudu2009, we meet again! You served as a great resource for me and I wish to do the same for the incoming class of applicants.

Hello every one,

Undergrad School: N/A Foreign Trained Dentist
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
3.2 ECE
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 153, Q 160, AW 3 ( retaking the exam), TOEFL 110
-More than 5 years of dental practice in my home country
-2 month of volunteer work in a NGO for children with cancer
-Some research and one publication but all dental and clinical so I don't know if I should even put these in my CV
-member of the executive committee of a yearly Dental congress

LORs: not sure whom I should get them from, its been around 7 years since I graduated, but still have connections with my schools Dean and some professors so probably dean, a professor I worked with a lot and one my coworkers during my clinical practice years...

Special factors???

Interested in: Community Public Health and health Promotion, and maybe Management and health policy

Applied:
nothing yet
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hello every one,

Undergrad School: N/A Foreign Trained Dentist
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 ECE
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 153, Q 160, AW 3 ( retaking the exam), TOEFL 110
-More than 5 years of dental practice in my home country
-2 month of volunteer work in a NGO for children with cancer
-Some research and one publication but all dental and clinical so I don't know if I should even put these in my CV
-member of the executive committee of a yearly Dental congress

LORs: not sure whom I should get them from, its been around 7 years since I graduated, but still have connections with my schools Dean and some professors so probably dean, a professor I worked with a lot and one my coworkers during my clinical practice years...

Special factors???

Interested in: Community Public Health and health Promotion, and maybe Management and health policy

Applied:
nothing yet
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

You're GRE scores are quite good, so you may not need to retake the exam. I would suggest calling up schools you're interested in applying to and ask how the feel about that 3.0 writing score before retaking. I don't think a coworker would make a good LOR; one from your supervisor would carry more weight. See if you can get one from a supervisor from the NGO you are volunteering for. Many schools will take professional references over academic ones if you've been out of school for over five years, so don't worry too much about that.

For your personal statement, incorporate past and future. Are you planning on returning to you're home country after you graduate, or do you wish to stay here? Are you planning to incorporate your public health experience into your dental career, or are you aiming for a career change? If the former, how do you see yourself doing this? These are just some ideas for making a strong statement of purpose.

Undergrad School: Rutgers University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.42 (3.75 junior/senior year)
Major/Minor: Microbiology/Public Health
GRE: 158V/165Q/5W
Experience/Research:
  • 3.5 months as an undergraduate researcher working in an environmental microbiology lab
  • 3 months as an undergraduate researcher studying lung immunity when exposed to M.tuberculosis
  • 1 year as fundraising chair for public health organization on campus
  • 1 year (ongoing) doing part-time work at cell lab/repository
  • Recipient of academic merit scholarship
  • General member of a couple more organizations relating to microbiology and public health
  • LORs: 2 microbiology professors (1 should be strong, 1 should be OK since I didn't get to know my professors that well), and 1 research supervisor (should also be strong)
Interested in: Infectious disease epidemiology
Applied: Brown (Epidemiology), Emory (Epidemiology), UCLA (Epidemiology), University of Michigan (Hospital & Molecular Epidemiology), Yale (Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases)
Accepted: University of Michigan (11/18), UCLA (1/19), Emory (1/29), Yale (2/10), Brown (2/24)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know my lack of "safety schools" may not appear to be a prudent approach, but I really like what these schools have to offer. If I am accepted to even one of them, I'll be ecstatic. Here's to hoping this bold decision pays off!

Last edited:
Is anyone having a hard time saving their progress on Transcript Entry? I have tried to do it multiple times and on three different browsers and can't get any of my courses that I enter to save

Undergrad School: N.E. Liberal Arts/Jesuit college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.85/3.9
Major/Minor: History/Philosophy
GradGPA (if applicable): 4.0 (But only took three classes- as a non-degree seeking student to boost my grad school application 2 in biostats, and 1 in global health)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 162 Q: 159 W. 5.0
-Fulbright Scholar
-1 year research coordinator at Johns Hopkins Hospital
-Currently work for a health consulting firm- mainly work for CDC on surveillance projects and the NIH
- 6 months editorial assistant for peer-reviewed socio medical journal
-2 poster presentations at national conferences
-one accepted but TBA published manuscript in a peer reviewed public health journal
-senior thesis on history of public health topic
-co-founded a natural disaster relief organization
-volunteered for trauma unit at hospital
-tutored refugees for one year

LOR: 1 from professor & 2 former supervisors.

Interested in: Chronic Disease Epidemiology (Cancer), Biostatistics, Global Maternal and Child Health

Applied (10/14, verified 10/18, app complete 10/26):
Hopkins (MPH), UMD (MPH-Epidemiology), GW (MPH - Epidemiology), Yale (Social and Behavioral Sciences), Columbia (Epidemiology), BU (MS - Epidemiology)
Accepted: GW (11/11/2016) Johns Hopkins (12/7/2016) Yale! (12/21/2016) UMD (1/12/2017)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm terrified! I ADORE statistics and epi now, thanks to my work experience but I'm worried that being a liberal arts major is going to raise some eyebrows, and not in a good way! I also worry I'm reaching too far, but I also don't want to apply to schools I don't realistically think I'd spend the time or money to attend? Can anyone else relate?

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Large state school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.32 (3.68 my junior year)
Major/Minor: Microbiology/Public Health
GRE: 158V/165Q/5W
Experience/Research:
  • 3.5 months as an undergraduate researcher working in an environmental microbiology lab
  • 3 months as an undergraduate researcher studying lung immunity when exposed to M.tuberculosis
  • 1 year as fundraising chair for public health organization on campus
  • 1 year (ongoing) doing part-time work at cell lab/repository
  • Recipient of academic merit scholarship
  • General member of a couple more organizations relating to microbiology and public health
  • LORs: 2 microbiology professors (1 should be strong, 1 should be OK since I didn't get to know my professors that well), and 1 research supervisor (should also be strong)
Interested in: Infectious disease epidemiology
Applied: Brown (Epi), UMich (General Epi), UMich (Hospital & Molecular Epi), Emory (Epi), UCLA (Epi) **Have not applied yet**
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know my lack of "safety schools" may not appear to be a prudent approach, but I really like what these four schools have to offer. If I am accepted to even one of them, I'll be ecstatic. Here's to hoping this bold decision pays off!

Your quant score is awesome, and you have some research experience as well which is great! I'm glad I'm more interested in Chronic disease epidemiology hahah. I feel you-if I'm going to spend the time and money applying and attend a school, I'd rather go to one I'm excited about attending, rather than one I'm unenthused with.

(Also, I'm starting a public health educational youtube series but won't be including it in my applications cuz it's gonna be a while, but I thought I would share with y'all who may be interested in watching it in the future)

It sounds like a lot, but I feel like I have too much volunteer/activism/non-profit type stuff and not enough research and the like.

OMG SO AWESOME! I was a Youtuber for a while and I wish i can stick with it professionally. Oh well. Best of luck to you! Would totally be interested in subscribing.

I honestly feel the same about my experience. It's even more lacking haha. Lack of lab/research can be scary but I guess it depends on what we're going into as well?

Thank you for starting this thread!

Undergrad:
Boston University
Undergrad Major: Communications, Public Health (minor), Sociology (minor)
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
GRE: Took in July 2016-- 155V, 148M, 5AW
Experiences:
- 1.5 (2 full years by the time i get into grad school) years working in fundraising and development for a leading cancer institute in the Boston area; shadowing mentors and volunteering at over 20 major events. I work on identifying new funding opportunities for researchers and help write proposals to companies and foundations.
- 7 months working in communications for a non-profit in NYC
- 4 months - communications internship at the WHO

Recs:
1 undergrad professor (epidemiology professor), 2 supervisors from my current job in hospital development

Public Health Interests: My interests lie in community health. More on the patient advocacy, government relations, and programming side of things!

Applying to: Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences) 11/30 submitted, BU(Community Assessment) 1/4 submitted, 1/9 supplemental app submitted, NYU (Community and International Health) (2/1 submitted), Tufts (Health Communications) (1/14 submitted), Icahn (Health Promotion and Disease Prevention).
Accepted: Columbia 2/8 (AHHHHHHH!), BU 2/9
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Yale 2/2

Last edited:
Undergrad School: N.E. Liberal Arts/Jesuit college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.82/3.9 -3.95
Major/Minor: History/Philosophy
GradGPA
(if applicable): 4.0 (But only took three classes- as a non-degree seeking student to boost my grad school application 2 in biostats, and 1 in global health)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 162 Q: 159 W. 5.0
-Fulbright Fellowship - Education & Youth Development S.E. Asia
- 6 months editorial assistant for peer-reviewed socio medical journal
-1 year research coordinator at Johns Hopkins Hospital
-Currently work as a RA for a health consulting firm- mainly work for CDC on surveillance projects and the NIH

-2 poster presentations at national conference, one accepted but TBA published manuscript in a peer reviewed public health journal
-senior thesis on history of public health topic
-volunteered for various nonprofits, at hospitals, etc. during college

LOR: 1 from professor & likely 2 former supervisors. Maybe Fulbright connection?

Interested in: Chronic Disease Epidemiology (Cancer), Biostatistics, Global Maternal and Child Health

Planning on Applying to:
Hopkins (MPH), UMD (MPH-Biostatistics), GW (MPH - Global Epidemiology), BU (Biostat & Epi), Yale (Chronic Disease Epidemiology), Columbia (Epidemiology)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm terrified! I ADORE statistics and epi now, thanks to my work experience but I'm worried that being a liberal arts major is going to raise some eyebrows, and not in a good way! I also worry I'm reaching too far, but I also don't want to apply to schools I don't realistically think I'd spend the time or money to attend? Can anyone else relate?
I can absolutely relate! I have a bachelor's in Economics, which isn't that popular in the public health realm. But trust me, that will not have an adverse effect on your applications. I believe work experience and overall interest will carry much greater weight than your undergrad program. Plus your stats are great. If I were you, I wouldn't worry much.

Also, I only applied to three grad schools because I couldn't justify spending money on applications for schools that I couldn't see myself realistically attending. A lot of people on last year's thread applied to a ton of schools and every single person who did that ended up regretting it. I chose to apply to GW, Columbia, and Yale. A school I knew I could get into, a school that was a toss-up, and a school that was a stretch. My decisions ended up being exactly what I expected.

Since you are applying to the same schools (and a couple more), feel free to check my stats on last year's thread for comparison.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, everyone

I am excited and nervous to start this application cycle..yikes....Good luck to everyone!

Undergrad School:
University of Virginia (and others...long time ago)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: ~3.4
Major/Minor: Nursing
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): will take in October
- 2 years working as medical surgical nurse in a big teaching hospital
- currently working as ER nurse
- Multiple medical mission volunteer trips to Africa and Central/South American
- One year research in waste water treatment (my previous degree was chem. eng.)

Special factors???

Interested in: Dual degree MS Nursing /MPH in global health
Applied: (tentatively) Johns Hopkins (the only one in the DMV area with such program), George Washington and U Maryland (Maybe)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of California, Santa Cruz
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.79
Major/Minor: Biology BS
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 158 Q (70%), 157 V (75%), 4.5 W (82%)
6 months hospital volunteer- perinatal department
1 year volunteer for setting up free health clinics for local homeless population
6 weeks women's health research assistant
Studied transatlantic feminist studies for a semester at Freie Universitat in Berlin
Traveled through California for 3 months living in Field stations on UC Natural Reserves
3 month student intern on a local farm working with homeless population
Note-taker for students with disabilities in upper-division bio classes

Special factors:

Interested in:
Applied:
UCLA (11/1) UC Berkeley (11/18), Columbia (11/18), University of Washington (11/17), U of Michigan (11/21), UC Davis (11/25), Boston University (12/12)
Accepted: U of Michigan (12/9), Boston University + $20k (1/19), UCLA (2/2), Columbia (2/8), University of Washington (2/9), UC Davis (3/18), UC Berkeley (3/23)
Rejected: none
Waitlisted:
Attending:
Columbia University!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have recently started thinking about going for an MPH but I don't know if I should go for it this cycle or wait a year and get more practical, relevant experience and then try applying. What do yall think? I am most interested in working with underserved populations particularly women. Here are my stats:

Undergrad School: UC Santa Cruz
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: Biology BS
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): haven't taken yet
6 months volunteer for setting up free health clinics for local homeless population
6 weeks women's health research assistant
Studied transatlantic feminist studies for a semester at Freie Universitat in Berlin, Germany
Traveled through California for 3 months living in Field stations on UC Natural Reserves studying natural history
3 month student intern on a local farm
3 month student intern on a campus farm

Special factors: One of my LOR will probably be from one of the nation's top women's health researchers (I was her assistant).

Interested in: UCLA, UCB, UCI, UCD
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

If you have the opportunity to get more practical work and research experience, I say go for it. I'm so glad I took a few years off between my undergraduate and degree and graduate (well, hopefully! :) ) Working full-time gives you an insight into the workforce, into the type of work you enjoy, the people you enjoy working with etc. that you can't get in college.

If you have the opportunity to get more practical work and research experience, I say go for it. I'm so glad I took a few years off between my undergraduate and degree and graduate (well, hopefully! :) ) Working full-time gives you an insight into the workforce, into the type of work you enjoy, the people you enjoy working with etc. that you can't get in college.
@jshek94 I think it depends on what your goals are after graduating. I'm the type of person who wants to get my education completed ASAP especially since I have debt and I'm still thinking about the doctoral route. I'll be 22 (going on 23) when I finish my MPH.
I'm also a female who aspires to have a family one day and would prefer to not be part of the extreme few who can handle being pregnant->going through labor->raising a child while pursuing a PhD and living off of a meager stipend. I suppose if I were male, I wouldn't be in such a rush to finish my degrees haha.

Last edited:
@jshek94 I think it depends on what your goals are after graduating. I'm the type of person who wants to get my education completed ASAP especially since I have debt and I'm still thinking about the doctoral route. I'll be 22 (going on 23) when I finish my MPH.
I'm also a female who aspires to have a family one day and would prefer to not be part of the extreme few who can handle being pregnant->going through labor->raising a child while pursuing a PhD and living off of a meager stipend. I suppose if I were male, I wouldn't be in such a rush to finish my degrees haha.

It sounds like you made the right decision for you then! Of course, there's other variables you need to consider when deciding to go to graduate school at any age. I didn't mean to suggest going straight of undergraduate is a bad idea, just that if you are interested in getting some more experience and have the ability to do so, go for it!

It sounds like you made the right decision for you then! Of course, there's other variables you need to consider when deciding to go to graduate school at any age. I didn't mean to suggest going straight of undergraduate is a bad idea, just that if you are interested in getting some more experience and have the ability to do so, go for it!
Haha of course. I think my case is a bit of a wildcard, but I figured I'd put it out there as food for thought.

Undergrad School: Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.8 (yikes!)
Postbacc GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Psychology
GRE: haven't taken yet, prepping hard!
- worked as a mental health tech
- clinical research job
- some research experience in undergrad
- previously worked full-time in another career

Interested in: Mental health, behavioral sciences, community health, epidemiology
Applied: Hopkins MHS Mental Health, Harvard MPH, Icahn MPH, Northeastern MPH Urban Health, BU MPH, Tufts MPH
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Undergrad School: Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.8 (yikes!)
Postbacc GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Psychology
GRE: haven't taken yet, prepping hard!
- worked as a mental health tech
- clinical research job
- some research experience in undergrad
- previously worked full-time in another career

Interested in: Mental health, behavioral sciences, community health, epidemiology
Applied: Hopkins MHS Mental Health, Harvard MPH, Icahn MPH, Northeastern MPH Urban Health, BU MPH, Tufts MPH
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Are you planning on going to medical school after your MPH? If so, depending on when you plan to apply, you may want to consider taking the MCAT instead of the GRE. Just a thought.

Looking forward to applying this year and seeing where we all end up! Good luck everyone!

Undergrad School:
University of California San Diego (UCSD)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.63
Major/Minor: Public Health / Biology
GRE: 161V, 159Q, 5W (18 May 2016)
Experience/Research:
- 4 publications, 3 more under review, more in progress (2 as first author, most published work on migrant health)
- Research Assistant at UCSD: HIV/AIDS interventions with people who inject drugs (current), previous project on refugee health and substance use
- Research Assistant at UCSF: Migrant health research in San Francisco and India (current, distance work)
- Volunteering at student-run clinics in Tijuana and Ensenada, Mexico serving marginalized populations
- SHARP Fellow: HIV/AIDS focused internship at the San Francisco Department of Public Health
- International AIDS Society: fall internship in Geneva, Switzerland working on ARV programming for pediatric populations globally
- First internship was at UCSD on a clinical study of geriatric hyperkyphosis

Interested in: epidemiology (wish my quant score was a little higher), global health, migrant/refugee health, HIV/AIDS, communicable disease
Applied: BU (10/18), Columbia (10/29), Emory GLEPI (11/1), Johns Hopkins MSPH (10/28), UCLA (10/28), Berkeley (10/28), U Washington (10/9)
Accepted to all: BU + $18k (12/15), UCLA (1/19), Emory + $45k (1/30), Columbia (2/8), UW (2/9), Berkeley (2/9), JHU (2/18)

Last edited:
Looking forward to applying this year and seeing where we all end up! Good luck everyone!

Undergrad School:
University of California San Diego (UCSD)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.63
Major/Minor: Public Health / Biology
GRE: 161V, 159Q, 5W (18 May 2016)
Experience/Research:
- 3 publications, 4 more under review, more in progress (2 as first author, most published work surrounding migrant health)
- Research Assistant at UCSD: HIV/AIDS interventions with people who inject drugs (current), previous project on refugee health and substance use
- Research Assistant at UCSF: Migrant health research in San Francisco and India (current, distance work)
- Volunteering at student-run clinics in Tijuana and Ensenada, Mexico serving marginalized populations
- SHARP Fellow: HIV/AIDS focused internship at the San Francisco Department of Public Health
- International AIDS Society: fall internship in Geneva, Switzerland working on ARV programming for pediatric populations globally
- First internship was at UCSD on a clinical study of geriatric hyperkyphosis

Interested in: epidemiology (wish my quant score was a little higher), global health, migrant/refugee health, HIV/AIDS, communicable disease,
Applying/ed: BU, Columbia, Emory, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, Berkeley, San Diego State U, U Washington
Accepted: ?
Rejected: ?
Waitlisted: ?

Very impressive app, you should have no problem getting into any school you apply to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I haven't applied yet but I'm currently working on my app! Still need to finish my personal statement and get my LORs but hoping to submit next month or so!
I'm a little concerned because my GPA is low but my GRE is decent. I'm hoping I still get in ahh!!
I'd love any tips or advice anyone may have! Thanks in advace :)

Undergrad School: UCLA
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.11
Major/Minor: Psychobiology
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE 160Q, 155V, 4.5W
2 years clinical research at Cedars Sinai in LA
1 year working as a medical assistant
Leadership and active roles in various on campus organizations

Interested in: Health Policy and Management
Applied: UCLA, UCB, UCI, JHSPH, Yale, Harvard, GW, SDSU, Dartmouth, Columbia
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Also given my stats I was wondering if I could get some feedback on if I should apply to some more safety schools? Thanks everyone!!

Undergrad School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: ~3.85/~3.95
Major/Minor: Human Biology (took Premed reqs, but no longer intending to do med school)
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 165V/162Q/5W

-Postbac IRTA Fellow at NIH conducting HIV research- 2 years
-Undergraduate Research project and thesis conducting HIV drug resistance research in USA and Africa- 1.5 years
-NIH Academy Health Disparities Certificate Program

Have done interesting research, took full premed coursework, and have a personal connection to my research interests.

Interested in: HIV, human behavior, behavior interventions, infectious disease epi
Applied: Hopkins Full Time MPH, Harvard MPH-65, maybe a few others
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Questions:

Is applying to only 3 or 4 top schools a really bad idea?

Good Luck Everyone!

Last edited:
Undergrad School: UVA
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: ~3.85/~3.95
Major/Minor: Human Biology (took Premed reqs, but no longer intending to do med school)
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 165V/162Q/5W

-Postbac IRTA Fellow at NIH conducting HIV drug research- 2 years
-Undergraduate Research project and thesis conducting HIV drug resistance research in USA and South Africa- 1.5 years
-NIH Academy Health Disparities Certificate Program
-Undergrad position in Student Global AIDS Campaign

Have done interesting research, took full premed coursework, and have a personal connection to my research interests.

Interested in: HIV, human behavior, behavior interventions, infectious disease epi
Applied: Hopkins MPH, Harvard MPH-65 (Social and Behavioral), UNC (Health Behaviors), maybe Emory (BSHE)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Questions:

Is applying to only 3 or 4 top schools a really bad idea?
Do schools know how many other schools you are considering when giving out merit/need aid?

Good Luck Everyone!

No, 3-4 schools is the norm, and with your stats these wouldn't be reaches, they'd be safety schools. Harvard's median GPA is 3.7 and 160/159 for GRE. You're good to go.

Is there a difference between attending a school or a program? So long as it's accredited, it should be fine, right?

Undergrad School: UC Berkeley

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
3.2, probably lower due to a failed class that was Passed/No passed.

Major/Minor:
Public Health

GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Will take in the coming months

Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
-4 years volunteering in an STI clinic providing screening, managing shifts, health counseling, and other direct client services.
-6 months volunteering as a research assistant for a research study in San Francisco on gay men and HIV.
-Completed an epidemiology summer program at Columbia University and did research on hormonal contraceptives and STI outcomes.
-Current job is working with HIV+ people who are not in medical care and linking them to a provider. Also providing social services for their barriers to care.

Interested in: Biostatistics and Epidemiology, particularly on STI / HIV research.
Applied: Applied to 3 UK schools & accepted below, applying to Berkeley (MPH - Epi/Biostats) and UCLA (MPH - Epi) for better tuition prospects.
Accepted: London School of Hygiene (Msc. Epi), Imperial College London (Msc. Epi), University of Manchester (Msc. Health Data Science). I deferred for a year.
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

To anyone that wants to apply to UK schools, feel free to ask me although I may be slow to respond. I thought I was taking more than I can handle when I applied for those schools but it was an easy process and affirming to think that I would get accepted. Tuition is a potential barrier for me so I am also applying to state schools where I am a resident.

Does anyone know how to identify which LORs should go to which school through SOPHAS? I submitted 5 LOR requests because BU allows for 5 but Emory wants 2 and all the other schools I'm applying to want 3. For example, I can't really tell how to make sure Emory reads my 2 most important LORs. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Hi everyone! Just like a few other folks on this thread, I really sincerely appreciated the help I got and advice from the 2016 thread so I'd like to return the favor for this who are applying to schools this year.

If anyone is particularly interested in Emory or is worried about their app in certain areas (I was on the lower end for GPA/GRE), I got you! I'm at Emory as a first year student in the BSHE Department for my MPH. <3

May you all succeed in your endeavors. <3

I think it's safe to say that I'm nervous about my application and chances of getting in. Schools that I'm applying to reflect that as well.

Undergrad School: UC Riverside (Bourns College of Engineering)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.065/3.203
Major/Minor: Bioengineering, c/o 2014
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies
GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 159V/157 Q/4.0AW (Oct 2015)
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):

- 1 year of acting BioE uppderdiv mentor to new students during undergrad
- 6 month internship at a urology firm working on/improving FDA approval for an automation analyzer of urine strips for both human and animal use. (very MechE heavy)
- Worked at a vaccine startup (too many projects to list which vaccine) for a little more than 1.5 year on process development and research using a wide range of lab equip (HPLC, columns, TFFs, Akta Pilot and Explorer systems for automated chromatography, 0.22 micronfiltration units, bioreactors ranging in scale from 250 mL - 6.0L, glycerol stock management for fermentation, hemocytometers, and autoclaves) Environments worked in include BSL-2 and class 10,000 particulate clean rooms (bunny suit required)
+proud moment: a company visit from Bill Gates to review the science more in depth and hear of various novel approaches to development (a couple funding contracts were secured with the B&M Gates foundation)
- Currently working in a cancer diagnostic supply firm managing diagnostic kit creation for research purposes and preparing tissue samples for QC of kit materials.

LOR: Professor, Professor, Vaccine Startup Manager
Special factors??? After a few years of working and researching career paths adequately (didn't take as much time during school) I am confident that this is the direction I want to take professionally and am looking forward to putting in the work and time required to succeed.

Interested in: Epidemiology (Hoping to shift my focus to analysis rather than hands-on labwork). Acting as a disease detective.
Applied: UWash, UC Irvine, Colorado State/Uni, UoHawaii, Emory
Accepted: UC Irvine+$ (02/08), Emory (02/07)
Rejected: UWash (02/09), UoHawaii*
Waitlisted: N/A

*Wasn't able to get my LoR in in time due to their abnormal requirements (abnormal for today, I'm sure such practices were common 20+ years ago).

Please be frank with my chances. I understand that my stats aren't very strong and I'm pretty intimidated by some of the more accomplished posters here (especially as I wasn't nearly as professionally active during school).

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that I'm nervous about my application and chances of getting in. Schools that I'm applying to reflect that as well.

Undergrad School: UC Riverside (Bourns College of Engineering)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.065/3.203
Major/Minor: Bioengineering, c/o 2014
GradGPA
Grad Studies
GRE
(including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 159V/157 Q/4.0AW (Oct 2015)
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):

- 1 year of acting BioE uppderdiv mentor to new students during undergrad
- 6 month internship at a urology firm working on/improving FDA approval for an automation analyzer of urine strips for both human and animal use. (very MechE heavy)
- Worked at a vaccine startup (too many projects to list which vaccine) for a little more than 1.5 year on process development and research using a wide range of lab equip (HPLC, columns, TFFs, Akta Pilot and Explorer systems for automated chromatography, 0.22 micronfiltration units, bioreactors ranging in scale from 250 mL - 6.0L, glycerol stock management for fermentation, hemocytometers, and autoclaves) Environments worked in include BSL-2 and class 10,000 particulate clean rooms (bunny suit required)
+proud moment: a company visit from Bill Gates to review the science more in depth and hear of various novel approaches to development (a couple funding contracts were secured with the B&M Gates foundation)
- Currently working in a cancer diagnostic supply firm managing diagnostic kit creation for research purposes and preparing tissue samples for QC of kit materials.

LOR: Professor, Vaccine Startup Manager, Vaccine Startup Coworker
Special factors??? After a few years of working and researching career paths adequately (didn't take as much time during school) I am confident that this is the direction I want to take professionally and am looking forward to putting in the work and time required to succeed.

Interested in: Epidemiology (Hoping to shift my focus to analysis rather than hands-on labwork). Acting as a disease detective.
Applied: UWash, UC Irvine, Colorado State/Uni, UoHawaii
Accepted: N/A
Rejected: N/A

Please be frank with my chances. I understand that my stats aren't very strong and I'm pretty intimidated by some of the more accomplished posters here (especially as I wasn't nearly as professionally active during school).

I suggest adding GW to your list of schools. I got conditionally accepted with a 3.0 GPA and you have way more experience. It's not a safety by any means, but if you get accepted, the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics has a lot of quantitative course offerings, some of which are required courses. Since your interested in shifting to analysis, the MPH Epidemiology concentration would fit your needs. Another option within the department is the MSPH Microbiology & Emerging Infectious Diseases, which has both a lab and an analysis component and may be a better option for "Acting as a disease detective." Of course, I'm biased ;), so if anyone knows of any other quantitative programs within reach, list away.

Undergrad School: University of Maryland
Undergrad Major: BSN
GPA:my overall GPA is a 3.2, my major GPA is a 3.1 (pretty low I know)
GRE: Verbal 158 Quantitative 151 Writing 4.0
Work Experience: RN almost 2yrs at Emory Univ Hospital on an acute care unit, i'm the co-chair of one committee on my unit
Research:
2 evidence based practice research projects to improve clinical outcomes for patients that were presented at a conference for Emory Healthcare in which one of the projects was implemented on my unit
Certifications:
HIV testing& counseling certified
Peritoneal dialysis certified
I'm currently studying for my HIV/AIDS Care Registered Nurse Certification (ACRN)
Internships:
2014 Interned with a large non-profit in DC& National 4H council and helped with strategic planning for international organizations . I also helped coordinate 2 fundraising events with members of congress.
2014 Interned with a health organization in Tanzania for 1 month and interned with another health organization in Haiti for 2 months
In 2013 I interned for a major clinic in Haiti and worked with nurses and other health care workers to improve their quality and delivery of care
In 2011 I interned for two hospitals in Haiti that were partners with USAID. I worked as a translator and also provided general care to patients with HIV/AIDS and TB
Extracurriculars:
Events and funding officer for Nurses for Global Health at my university and organized various events throughout campus including a major global health conference.
From 2010-2012 I was the events coordinator for the Caribbean Students Association at my university and organized various events throughout campus.

I'm planning on applying to dual MSN/MPH programs. For the MPH portion im looking to get into a program with a global health focus. I want to work in implementing HIV/AIDS infection prevention programs in developing countries. My GPA isn't great but i'm hoping my clinical background and experience makes up for it.

Applied: Emory, Yale, Johns Hopkins, NYU, maybe columbia

Undergrad School: University of Maryland
Undergrad Major: BSN
GPA:my overall GPA is a 3.2, my major GPA is a 3.1 (pretty low I know)
GRE: Verbal 158 Quantitative 151 Writing 4.0
Work Experience: RN almost 2yrs at Emory Univ Hospital on an acute care unit, i'm the co-chair of one committee on my unit
Research:
2 evidence based practice research projects to improve clinical outcomes for patients that were presented at a conference for Emory Healthcare in which one of the projects was implemented on my unit
Certifications:
HIV testing& counseling certified
Peritoneal dialysis certified
I'm currently studying for my HIV/AIDS Care Registered Nurse Certification (ACRN)
Internships:
2014 Interned with a large non-profit in DC& National 4H council and helped with strategic planning for international organizations . I also helped coordinate 2 fundraising events with members of congress.
2014 Interned with a health organization in Tanzania for 1 month and interned with another health organization in Haiti for 2 months
In 2013 I interned for a major clinic in Haiti and worked with nurses and other health care workers to improve their quality and delivery of care
In 2011 I interned for two hospitals in Haiti that were partners with USAID. I worked as a translator and also provided general care to patients with HIV/AIDS and TB
Extracurriculars:
Events and funding officer for Nurses for Global Health at my university and organized various events throughout campus including a major global health conference.
From 2010-2012 I was the events coordinator for the Caribbean Students Association at my university and organized various events throughout campus.

I'm planning on applying to dual MSN/MPH programs. For the MPH portion im looking to get into a program with a global health focus. I want to work in implementing HIV/AIDS infection prevention programs in developing countries. My GPA isn't great but i'm hoping my clinical background and experience makes up for it.

Applied: Emory, Yale, Johns Hopkins, NYU, maybe columbia

So you attended nursing school?

I suggest adding GW to your list of schools. I got conditionally accepted with a 3.0 GPA and you have way more experience. It's not a safety by any means, but if you get accepted, the Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics has a lot of quantitative course offerings, some of which are required courses. Since your interested in shifting to analysis, the MPH Epidemiology concentration would fit your needs. Another option within the department is the MSPH Microbiology & Emerging Infectious Diseases, which has both a lab and an analysis component and may be a better option for "Acting as a disease detective." Of course, I'm biased ;), so if anyone knows of any other quantitative programs within reach, list away.

Thanks for the direction! I had considered GW in the past, but wasn't sure of viability. I'll take another look at the opportunities there.

Undergrad School: UC Santa Barbara
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor: Anthropology with a Biological Emphasis
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 149 V 150 Q 3.5 AWA
- 2 weeks last December volunteering in San Jose, Costa Rica at a government funded daycare center for low income families
- 6 months working as a research intern in the Population Health Sector of a hospital. Conducted online research and put together a Reproductive Health Narrative for Santa Barbara County
- 1 year as an intern/educator for Kids In Nutrition program at UCSB. We go to elementary school classrooms and teach the importance of healthy eating and better lifestyle choices to avoid cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

LOR: Professor in Health Geography who was on the admissions board a UW, Anthropology Professor, and Monitor and Evaluation Manager of the Population Health Sector in the hospital I work at.

Interested in: HIV/AIDs and STI (Reproductive Health Epidemiology and Surveillance)
Applied: all verified 9/2: University of Minnesota(MCH Epi), Boston University (Epi), Emory (Global), and Colorado (GH-MCH) all officially turned in 11-28
Accepted: BU +$ (12/16) Minnesota (12/20) Tulane (12/20) Emory BSHE (3/1)
Rejected: Emory (Global) Colorado
Waitlisted:
Going: Minnesota

Last edited:
Undergrad School: UC Santa Barbara
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
~3.3 (waiting in line to be SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Anthropology with a Biological Emphasis
GradGPA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking it in two weeks, super nervous...
- 2 weeks last December volunteering in San Jose, Costa Rica at a government funded daycare center for low income families
- 6 months working as a research intern in the Population Health Sector of a hospital. Conducted online research and put together a Reproductive Health Narrative for Santa Barbara County
- 1 year as an intern/educator for Kids In Nutrition program at UCSB. We go to elementary school classrooms and teach the importance of healthy eating and better lifestyle choices to avoid cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

LOR: Professor in Health Geography who was on the admissions board a UW, Anthropology Professor, and Monitor and Evaluation Manager of the Population Health Sector in the hospital I work at.

Interested in: HIV/AIDs and STI (Reproductive Health Epidemiology and Surveillance)
Applied: University of Minnesota(MCH Epi), Boston University (Epi), Emory (Global), and Yale (Behavioral and Social)
(in line to be verified as we speak!)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am super nervous, yet super hopeful to get into programs. The GRE has been causing me a lot of stress as I try to prepare for it. If anyone could share some knowledge on people who got in with a lower score that would be awesome. Also if anyone knows the difficulty of getting into Emory Global that would also be great knowledge to share. The website said you need global experience, which I have a little, but I'm not sure if that is enough.

Good luck on the GRE! I'm sure you'll do great!!

Undergrad School: University of Florida
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/3.5 ( 1 medical withdrawal)
Major/Minor: Psychology with major coursework in biology
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):Verbal 157 Quantitative 159 Writing 4.0
- 1 year of research & evaluation of school influenza programs
- 1 year interning: implementation of a school-located flu vaccination program
-6 months as a student assistant in administration at a major Florida hospital
- Numerous volunteer hours
Post Grad:
-1 year as a CDC Public Health Advisor in the PHAP program (infectious disease epidemiology)
- 6 months as a disease investigation specialist (HIV and TB)
-certified HIV/AIDS counselor and waived rapid tester

Special Factors: First Gen College student, Disabled

LORs: Senior Lecturer/Undergraduate Coordinator , CDC Supervisor, Professor
Interested in: Behavioral Science and Health Education/Promotion, Health Disparities
Applied: Emory BSHE (12/8), Tulane Health Ed. & Communication (12/30), Michigan HBHE (12/14), USF Health Ed.(10/1), Columbia SMS (1/9), Yale SBS (1/9) all Verified 10/26!
Accepted: USF (11/27) Tulane (1/6) Michigan (1/27), Columbia (2/9) Emory (2/14) Yale (3/7)
Rejected: none :claps:
Waitlisted: Yale (2/2)
Financial Aid: Michigan (50% Dean's Scholarship +3K work study), Emory (22k)
Attending: EMORY - BSHE!!!

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

Undergrad School:
UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.168
Major/Minor: Integrative Biology (graduated December 2011)
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (Will take end of October)

Community Health Volunteer in Peace Corps Ecuador: 2 years
Research Assistant to Mosquito Borne Disease Monitoring Study in Ecuador (did this alongside my Peace Corps service, worked with other MPH students doing their practicum): 8 months
Emergency Medical Technician: 2 years
Health Worker in my college student cooperative house: 4 months
Asthma Educator with American Lung Association (taught kids with asthma how to control their disease): 7 months
Other less public health related experiences: House Manager at Berkeley Student Cooperative (BSC), Waste Reduction manager in BSC, Assistant Human Anatomy Instructor, GED Tutor at San Quentin State prison

Special factors???

I think my academics are kind of weak, and we'll see how I do on the GRE, but not counting on any amazing scores.... I think my strengths are my public health related experiences and I am definitely playing those up.

Interested in: Global Health, Community Health Programs, Program Design/Implementation

Applied:
John Hopkins, Harvard, UCLA, Emory, GWU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I figure if I am going to be getting loans upward of $40,000+ no matter which school I apply to, I may as well not settle for lower rank programs. If I don't get in, I'll work for a year, save up money and try again!

Hi everybody,

Undergrad School:
UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.168
Major/Minor: Integrative Biology (graduated December 2011)
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (Will take end of October)

Community Health Volunteer in Peace Corps Ecuador: 2 years
Research Assistant to Mosquito Borne Disease Monitoring Study in Ecuador (did this alongside my Peace Corps service, worked with other MPH students doing their practicum): 8 months
Emergency Medical Technician: 2 years
Health Worker in my college student cooperative house: 4 months
Asthma Educator with American Lung Association (taught kids with asthma how to control their disease): 7 months
Other less public health related experiences: House Manager at Berkeley Student Cooperative (BSC), Waste Reduction manager in BSC, Assistant Human Anatomy Instructor, GED Tutor at San Quentin State prison

Special factors???

I think my academics are kind of weak, and we'll see how I do on the GRE, but not counting on any amazing scores.... I think my strengths are my public health related experiences and I am definitely playing those up.

Interested in: Global Health, Community Health Programs, Program Design/Implementation

Applied:
John Hopkins, Harvard, UCLA, Emory, GWU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I figure if I am going to be getting loans upward of $40,000+ no matter which school I apply to, I may as well not settle for lower rank programs. If I don't get in, I'll work for a year, save up money and try again!

If you're in-state for CA, consider applying to SDSU as a safety, as well as UCI. They're on the lower end cost-wise, but will still give you a solid education (I know people who have graduated from those programs that are very successful and have little debt.)

Hi Everyone!
I applied for the 2016 cycle last year but decided to defer my acceptance for a year to save up a little more $.
This forum was extremely helpful to me so I thought I would share my stats with you as it might be helpful for benchmarking, especially for those interested in Hopkins.

Undergrad School:
McMaster University (Canada)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.51 /3.65 (SOPHAS)
Major/Minor: Biotechnology
GRE - N/A
GMAT- 650 (V38 Q42)
Experience/Research :
- 4 years at a major multinational pharmaceutical organization
-3 years in Vaccines Quality
-1 year in Vaccines R&D
- 1 year as a research assistant at a Biotech start-up in bio-fuel production.
Volunteer:
- 4 years working on a public radio broadcasting program (social advocacy)
- 2 years working with a charity that provides aid to an orphanage in Africa
Interested in: (MPH/MBA) Johns Hopkins, Boston University, Emory
Applied: Johns Hopkins (11/26)
Accepted: Johns Hopkins MPH/MBA (2017)

Best of Luck to you all!

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Physiology
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE: AW: 6 V: 161 Q: 162
Experience/Research:
- 4 years conducting research in seizure diagnosis
- 6-week-long public health internship
- 2 years volunteering in a hospital
- 2 years tutoring and cooking for kids
Special factors: I feel like my research experience might be unique, but I'm worried that my lack of experience in the field of public health will make me a poor applicant.
Interested in: Debating between Health and Social Behavior and Public Policy.
Applied: UCI, SDSU, Berkeley, UCLA
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited: