MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally accepted my offer from Yale (MPH in EMD)!! :woot:

I declined offers from Columbia, BU, and GW. I am sure I will still be lurking, but I wanted to thank everyone for all of the help and input over the past few months. I look forward to seeing some of you at Yale and working with you in the future!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have thoughts on BU v. Columbia in terms of mentoring from faculty? I've pretty much exhausted myself comparing the career services and course rigor but those seem to be pretty much a wash?

Reactions: 1 user
I had planned to attend Yale's admitted students' day, today, but was unable to do to work obligations. I would love to hear from those who went what they think! If you could include what department you would be entering, that would be helpful :) Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just paid my deposit to NYU! I was blown away by their admitted student's day and I'm so excited to be in NYC! Good luck to those waiting on schools or trying to make their decisions & hopefully I'll come across some of you in the future! :)

Reactions: 6 users
I've officially declined Tulane, George Washington, Columbia, CUNY, UIC, Harvard, BU, and the University of Washington - hope it helps anyone who is waiting or waiting on additional funding!

I received information from Columbia on financial aid today, $5,000 scholarship and a lot of loans. Now to decide... I'm currently torn between Columbia's SMS program and UCLA's CHS program.

Any insight for choosing between NYU, Columbia, Emory, BU?

Of the schools you're asking about, I was accepted to NYU and Emory, waitlisted at Columbia.

A big pro is the wealth of organizations in NYC and access to all of NYU's schools. A HUGE con is that NYU charges per credit, so it gets more expensive the more you try to accomplish, and New York is already crazy expensive. . . Another turnoff for me about NYU is that Steinhardt seems to be all evening classes (ostensibly to accomodate working students), and I am very much a morning person. This really sucks as they are the only school to have offered me $$ ($24,000 over 2 years, or $6,000 per semester. However, estimated COA with 12 credit hours per semester is $140,000, so. . .drop in the ocean :/). . .ultimately, it just isn't that good a good fit for me.

I am really excited about Emory, although I didn't get any funding from them (I am going to defer admission to next year to save/look for scholarships/make a few more public health connections). Atlanta cost of living is way cheaper. the CDC is there (and with it, a huge amount of CDC-associated talent who teach at Emory part time, in addition to their full-time faculty), and Emory researchers do work I'm interested in, in places I hope to work (I can't speak much to NYU on that front). HUGE pro, the tuition is a flat fee per semester, so you can take more than 12 credits and not have to pay more money.

Good luck in your decision making. Pudu2009's advice ("Go by fit [not by ranking]"), has been hugely helpful to me as I try and figure out where to end up.

Last edited:
Anyone else considering kicking the can down the road and sending an admission deposit to more than one school?

It would be much appreciated if anyone here went to Yale's open house today and would be willing to share their experience!

I had planned to attend Yale's admitted students' day, today, but was unable to do to work obligations. I would love to hear from those who went what they think! If you could include what department you would be entering, that would be helpful :) Thanks in advance!

It would be much appreciated if anyone here went to Yale's open house today and would be willing to share their experience!

Hi! I attended yesterday's Open House and really enjoyed it! I'm in the EMD program. Here were my thoughts:

• During the departmental lunch for EMD (and I'm sure it was the same case for every other department), I felt like there was a strong relationship between current students and the faculty. The faculty seem very approachable, and are highly invested in the students. If you contact a professor expressing interest in a certain area of their research, they will either accommodate you or connect you with someone else in the faculty with a similar focus.
  • Students were very open and friendly. Those in the student panel and those whom I spoke with individually were really enthusiastic about their experiences at Yale. For example, members of the student panel (and I know not every student is like this) were involved in at least 4-5 student organizations, including environmental justice, diversity organizations, and community-oriented work. Additionally, students said it is easy to find on-campus employment to pay for other expenses (Yale is an expensive school!). All of them seem to know each other well, and you get a feel that YSPH fosters a very collaborative and supportive environment.
  • The students and professors both emphasized the program's flexibility as a big plus. If you enter with a specific concentration in mind and discover that you enjoy another concentration just as much, you have room to add classes from that second concentration without switching. If you are interested in mental health, you can take classes in the psychology department. They cited the School of Management and School of Law as other highly regarded schools that students can take classes in. You are also not restricted to doing research within the School of Public Health - students in CDE and EMD have done/are doing research with professors in the med school, so there's a collaboration between them and YSPH as well.
  • The career services office, from the roundtable discussions, seem to be very helpful in finding internships and jobs. When enrolled, I believe they meet with you to get to know you and your interests, so that they can send over any information such as internship/job postings related to your specific interests. They can also connect you to members of the alumni network, which is very strong. Students do some impressive work, including interning at the CDC, WHO, and UN (receiving YSPH funding in some cases). They also schedule trips to NYC, Boston, and DC to attend certain events, and seem to have valuable connections there.
  • There is a newly minted dean who gave a short talk, and I found him to be enthusiastic, motivated, and down to earth (he attended happy hour towards the end and chatted with students). He also gave out his cell # at the end of his talk if anyone had additional inquiries. Current students appeared enthusiastic about the "changes" the new dean will bring to the school, though I didn't pick up on specifics. Maybe someone else who was there yesterday caught them?
  • The only con I had was that there is only one building for the school of public health, of which many rooms lack windows. When asked "what don't you like about Yale", this was a common answer. As for how the building looked on the inside, I didn't mind it. Maybe this is a "change" that will be addressed? Of course, I'm guessing the lower endowment YSPH receives relative to the schools of law, medicine, and management has something to do with that.
Now I came in having already committed, so I didn't have any questions important for making a decision between schools. I did speak with a few prospective students who were still deciding though, and they all said the visit made them lean towards Yale. Overall, there are a ton of opportunities to pursue, which is a bit overwhelming (in the good way). I hope I was able to help!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just put my deposit down at Harvard and declined admission at Hopkins. Best of luck to you all!

Hi! I attended yesterday's Open House and really enjoyed it! I'm in the EMD program. Here were my thoughts:

• During the departmental lunch for EMD (and I'm sure it was the same case for every other department), I felt like there was a strong relationship between current students and the faculty. The faculty seem very approachable, and are highly invested in the students. If you contact a professor expressing interest in a certain area of their research, they will either accommodate you or connect you with someone else in the faculty with a similar focus.
  • Students were very open and friendly. Those in the student panel and those whom I spoke with individually were really enthusiastic about their experiences at Yale. For example, members of the student panel (and I know not every student is like this) were involved in at least 4-5 student organizations, including environmental justice, diversity organizations, and community-oriented work. Additionally, students said it is easy to find on-campus employment to pay for other expenses (Yale is an expensive school!). All of them seem to know each other well, and you get a feel that YSPH fosters a very collaborative and supportive environment.
  • The students and professors both emphasized the program's flexibility as a big plus. If you enter with a specific concentration in mind and discover that you enjoy another concentration just as much, you have room to add classes from that second concentration without switching. If you are interested in mental health, you can take classes in the psychology department. They cited the School of Management and School of Law as other highly regarded schools that students can take classes in. You are also not restricted to doing research within the School of Public Health - students in CDE and EMD have done/are doing research with professors in the med school, so there's a collaboration between them and YSPH as well.
  • The career services office, from the roundtable discussions, seem to be very helpful in finding internships and jobs. When enrolled, I believe they meet with you to get to know you and your interests, so that they can send over any information such as internship/job postings related to your specific interests. They can also connect you to members of the alumni network, which is very strong. Students do some impressive work, including interning at the CDC, WHO, and UN (receiving YSPH funding in some cases). They also schedule trips to NYC, Boston, and DC to attend certain events, and seem to have valuable connections there.
  • There is a newly minted dean who gave a short talk, and I found him to be enthusiastic, motivated, and down to earth (he attended happy hour towards the end and chatted with students). He also gave out his cell # at the end of his talk if anyone had additional inquiries. Current students appeared enthusiastic about the "changes" the new dean will bring to the school, though I didn't pick up on specifics. Maybe someone else who was there yesterday caught them?
  • The only con I had was that there is only one building for the school of public health, of which many rooms lack windows. When asked "what don't you like about Yale", this was a common answer. As for how the building looked on the inside, I didn't mind it. Maybe this is a "change" that will be addressed? Of course, I'm guessing the lower endowment YSPH receives relative to the schools of law, medicine, and management has something to do with that.
Now I came in having already committed, so I didn't have any questions important for making a decision between schools. I did speak with a few prospective students who were still deciding though, and they all said the visit made them lean towards Yale. Overall, there are a ton of opportunities to pursue, which is a bit overwhelming (in the good way). I hope I was able to help!

Thank you! This is super helpful. I wonder if you might be able to speak to my biggest concern about Yale, based on what you saw/heard yesterday. As someone who is very community practice focused and intends to pursue a career in direct service and program management, I worry that Yale is far more research focused than direct practice focused. What was your impression of this? Did you meet students who were more engaged in direct practice than in research? Did you feel like practice opportunities were abundant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! This is super helpful. I wonder if you might be able to speak to my biggest concern about Yale, based on what you saw/heard yesterday. As someone who is very community practice focused and intends to pursue a career in direct service and program management, I worry that Yale is far more research focused than direct practice focused. What was your impression of this? Did you meet students who were more engaged in direct practice than in research? Did you feel like practice opportunities were abundant?

You're right, Yale is very research focused. Overall, I think a little more than 20% of YSPH graduates pursue an MD or PhD after graduation. As for practice opportunities, I felt like most of them were in student organizations (I could also be completely wrong). I don't remember the exact answers, but there were prospective students like you who voiced those same concerns. I'm really sorry that I'm not of much help in this department, but I would highly suggest reaching out to current SBS students from the Facebook group or YSPH Student Ambassador PDF. They would be much more helpful to you in that area.

Yay.... after a long wait. Finally heard from Brown. Got accepted to the MPH program for the behavioral and social sciences track.

So I just heard back from Brown and I've heard back from Yale- both of which I applied to about a month after I applied to Columbia but I still haven't heard back from Columbia (Crazy I know :/). Columbia was my first choice but Yale is starting to appeal more to me because of the small classes and considerably lower cost of living but Brown also offered me money- although it was not on my radar at all, if they give me a substantial amount I might have to consider them as well.

Also got good news from Brown-- in "with financial support." It's gonna have to be a lot of financial support for me to go cuz I'm pretty emotionally committed to Drexel (which gave me by far the best financial deal of all my schools). Going back to Philly this weekend to look at places to live.

[edit:] Got 25% discount on tuition! Still makes Brown over twice the cost of Drexel overall tho

Last edited:
Hi all! I would really appreciate some insight, as I am about to have a mental breakdown lol. So about two months ago I got waitlisted at Johns Hopkins. I was pretty excited to even get on the waitlist, but after sitting down and thinking about logistics I decided cost would not be worth it to attend even if I did get in. I got into BU with a scholarship which was my other top school besides JHU. I visited in February and fell in love with the Boston and the school. Today I found out I got in off the waitlist at JHU with a scholarship (???). After crunching numbers, it would be actually a little bit less for me to go to Hopkins factoring in living cost. I am at a loss of what to do. Location is really important to me and I did love Boston, and though I haven't been to Baltimore others have told me it doesn't even compare to Boston. However, how could I pass up Hopkins? Any insight on how much the difference will matter in terms of education and jobs?? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

Also got good news from Brown-- in "with financial support." It's gonna have to be a lot of financial support for me to go cuz I'm pretty emotionally committed to Drexel (which gave me by far the best financial deal of all my schools). Going back to Philly this weekend to look at places to live.
Congratulations !!!! What was the timeline for Brown?

Congratulations ! How are the numbers looking between Brown and Drexel? When did you apply? I got mine in ending of November.

is anyone else still waiting to hear back from columbia about finaid? its getting ridiculous at this point that they expect us to make a decision soon without knowing if we get anything...

You're right, Yale is very research focused. Overall, I think a little more than 20% of YSPH graduates pursue an MD or PhD after graduation. As for practice opportunities, I felt like most of them were in student organizations (I could also be completely wrong). I don't remember the exact answers, but there were prospective students like you who voiced those same concerns. I'm really sorry that I'm not of much help in this department, but I would highly suggest reaching out to current SBS students from the Facebook group or YSPH Student Ambassador PDF. They would be much more helpful to you in that area.

It seemed as though practice is doable, but not the main focus on the program. Just looking at the course list, there are a few practice-based courses to take, but the rest seem very theoretical. Really cool, but still not as practical. I guess it's a matter of you being proactive and looking for those opportunities, which didn't seem hard to do, especially with the Haven Free Clinic.

Hi all! I would really appreciate some insight, as I am about to have a mental breakdown lol. So about two months ago I got waitlisted at Johns Hopkins. I was pretty excited to even get on the waitlist, but after sitting down and thinking about logistics I decided cost would not be worth it to attend even if I did get in. I got into BU with a scholarship which was my other top school besides JHU. I visited in February and fell in love with the Boston and the school. Today I found out I got in off the waitlist at JHU with a scholarship (???). After crunching numbers, it would be actually a little bit less for me to go to Hopkins factoring in living cost. I am at a loss of what to do. Location is really important to me and I did love Boston, and though I haven't been to Baltimore others have told me it doesn't even compare to Boston. However, how could I pass up Hopkins? Any insight on how much the difference will matter in terms of education and jobs?? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice!

It probably depends on what you want to do after you graduate and what your existing qualifications are. I notice that you have "global health" in your screen name. If you want to do international work, I'd go with Hopkins, especially given that it makes more financial sense. Otherwise, both schools offer a lot of flexibility (assuming we are talking about the MPH here) and you can't go wrong either way. If you're in love with Boston, go where you will be happy.

is anyone else still waiting to hear back from columbia about finaid? its getting ridiculous at this point that they expect us to make a decision soon without knowing if we get anything...

Columbia has already distributed most of its aid. If you haven't heard from them yet you should call them immediately. There might be an issue with your file. All the best!

It probably depends on what you want to do after you graduate and what your existing qualifications are. I notice that you have "global health" in your screen name. If you want to do international work, I'd go with Hopkins, especially given that it makes more financial sense. Otherwise, both schools offer a lot of flexibility (assuming we are talking about the MPH here) and you can't go wrong either way. If you're in love with Boston, go where you will be happy.

Congrats on your admission and scholarship at Hopkins! I agree with a lot of what JaneReacher says. I totally understand your feelings about Boston vs Baltimore, as I visited both places in considering where to go. But you would only have to stay in Baltimore for < 1 year (if MPH). You could also consider using some of the money you might save to make the best of your location in Baltimore (lots of places to visit nearby, and Baltimore does have a decent bit going on). From what I've gathered, a lot of your success will depend on your network, and I think that Hopkins will provide you with that and the education more than BU would. It is definitely hard to get past the connection and planning you've already made towards BU, but you have an amazing program at a lower cost, go for it!

Anyone else considering kicking the can down the road and sending an admission deposit to more than one school?

I am starting to wonder about this. Financially, I'm screwed if I go to school full-time, but that's what I'd really like to do. I feel like having some extra time to see if I get any sort of outside aid could be helpful... but at the same time, I haven't been able to apply for almost anything because I just don't qualify for much. This is so exhausting.

[edit:] Got 25% discount on tuition! Still makes Brown over twice the cost of Drexel overall tho
did you call to do this? or email?

Right now torn between UMN (MPH Community Health) and Hopkins (MSPH Pop, Family and Reproductive Health). Anyone in a similar position?

did you call to do this? or email?
Both the decision and scholarship info came via email. The decision was from the graduate school in general and led me through creating a Brown portal before showing me the acceptance letter. The scholarship info came this morning (a day after the decision) in an email from the school of public health.

I applied for Behavioral and Social Sciences in October, before others ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know what Yale's acceptance rate is or how many applications they receive for their MPH programs? I just read on their website that each track (EMD, biostats, CDE, SBS, EHS, HCM, health policy, etc) only has about 15-25 students per entering class. I would think Yale gets a decent amount of applications; I know the school is small, but I am shocked that their numbers are THAT low on each track!

Today was Yale's Virtual Open House chat, and the director of admissions said that 200/1300 applicants were admitted into the Class of 2019.

Also ASPPH has an Excel file here where you can access data about admissions and yield rates. Though the data is a bit dated (from 2013), it's given me a sense of selectivity among public health schools. http://depts.washington.edu/sphnet/...ications-NewEnrollments-Data-Report-2013.xlsx

Anyone know which of the roughly one million emails from BU contains the link to decline admission? I can't find it anywhere in my inbox!!

Anyone know which of the roughly one million emails from BU contains the link to decline admission? I can't find it anywhere in my inbox!!
I had to ask them to resend it. It was an e-mail with a subject header like, "Boston University.... invites you to take the next step with your application"

I got a rejection a few weeks ago from Colorado for Global Epidemiology. I just got an email today that states they "reviewed my application further" and that they actually DO want to extend an admissions offer to me. I received a second email almost immediately that the admitted students day was in two days and they apologized for the short notice. Did this happen to anyone else? It comes off very disorganized to me.

Tried to negotiate financial aid with Hopkins (MHS) and got nowhere.

Will likely be turning them down this weekend, so hopefully that'll open up a spot for someone.

I hadn't heard from UNC until today....... they didn't technically offer me admittance, but a professor was telling me about his research and that they would make a decision immediately. It seemed they misplace my application lol

So I've been accepted to the two programs I applied to (Minnesota and George Washington) and I am having trouble finding helpful information for making the decision. They both seem like good programs for Epidemiology and they are both in locations I'm interested in... anyone have any tips or advice on good resources to help decide? Thanks in advance!

Finally heard from Columbia. Time to make a decision. Are there any Health Policy (and Management) people here trying to decide between Yale and Columbia? What're some of your thoughts so far and which one are you leaning more towards? Congratulations to all those who have decided. It must be a huge relief.

I'm noticing that for a lot of schools, the deadline to accept your financial aid package is BEFORE the 4/15 decision deadline. I assume if I accept a financial aid package that I am not bound to it if I ultimately don't end up accepting the admissions offer? Also, check you fin aid acceptance deadlines! You wouldn't want to suddenly lose your financial aid offer...

Does anyone have thoughts on BU v. Columbia in terms of mentoring from faculty? I've pretty much exhausted myself comparing the career services and course rigor but those seem to be pretty much a wash?

bumping this, in case anyone has thoughts on BU v. Columbia in terms of mentoring from faculty or, alternatively, practice opportunities in epidemiology as a student. Or if anyone else is wondering the same things.

SOS I can't decide D:
Yale vs. JHU

I'm planning to have my MPH/MSPH as my terminal degree...for now.
Can anyone give insight on career prospects with the Yale MPH? Also, it seems as though it's very research-based, but you would have to seek opportunities to practice your learning. But overall, the Yale experience seems more sane and manageable?
For JHU, it just seems really daunting and intense, which I'm not sure I can do. Does anyone know the involvement of MSPH students outside of the classroom?

Just declined Harvard, Yale, GW, and Tulane! Headed to Emory in the Fall! :)

Reactions: 10 users
Just got into Brown with a merit scholarship! Beyond happy!!!!:biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
Have many other people received only loans from Columbia? I'm getting a little panicky about making a decision because of the shocking (lack of) financial aid offered to me. I work at a non-profit and put most of my income toward rent and student loans and ... I don't know, I just don't understand how this all adds up. I didn't expect much, but literally $0 in scholarship/funding is incredible.

Have many other people received only loans from Columbia? I'm getting a little panicky about making a decision because of the shocking (lack of) financial aid offered to me. I work at a non-profit and put most of my income toward rent and student loans and ... I don't know, I just don't understand how this all adds up. I didn't expect much, but literally $0 in scholarship/funding is incredible.

Although I did not apply to Columbia, I am in pretty much the same boat for my schools: Huge tuition costs, expensive cities, little/no aid. I have begun to question if this degree is going to pay itself off. Even though money is not my main motivator to pursue PH (obviously), taking on 70k+ in loans at a young age seems like a silly decision the more I think about it...

Although I did not apply to Columbia, I am in pretty much the same boat for my schools: Huge tuition costs, expensive cities, little/no aid. I have begun to question if this degree is going to pay itself off. Even though money is not my main motivator to pursue PH (obviously), taking on 70k+ in loans at a young age seems like a silly decision the more I think about it...

I waited years out of undergrad to even apply for MPH programs, as I've been so bitter and semi-debilitated about/by student loans... and now I've applied and gotten in, but am seriously questioning everything. I want to go really badly, but I also would prefer not to end up in bankruptcy or worse. I wish I'd had the guts to raise my hand in an info session (when they were talking about alumni employment statistics, etc) and ask if they know the percentage of alumni who default on their student loans. :arghh:

That's an excellent question. I hadn't even thought to ask that at any of my admitted students' days! Maybe I'll call Columbia and ask. I've heard nothing but crickets from them since submitting my financial aid appeal.

is this technically legal? I am considering doing the same, but not if it leads to both schools revoking my acceptance if they find out :/